Hydaelyn Role-Players
Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood (/showthread.php?tid=20035)

Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - SapphireSkylines - 07-08-2017

I've tried doing research for a friend and I haven't found much on it. How much time is between the end of Heavensward and the beginning of Stormblood? I personally think that there wasn't much of a time skip but another friend of mine claims that Raubahn said it had been a few years since the events of Heavensward (3-4 years). Anyone got any lore articles on this that I can look at or have any insight on the question? Thanks!

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Rookie Judge - 07-08-2017

http://mirkemenagerie.tumblr.com/post/162610981204/zornsable-tiergan-vashir-spicydangeryaoi

That tumblr thread'll probably help. Should look more towards the later replies than the earlier ones.

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Sounsyy - 07-08-2017

(07-08-2017, 02:32 AM)SapphireSkylines Wrote: I've tried doing research for a friend and I haven't found much on it. How much time is between the end of Heavensward and the beginning of Stormblood? I personally think that there wasn't much of a time skip but another friend of mine claims that Raubahn said it had been a few years since the events of Heavensward (3-4 years). Anyone got any lore articles on this that I can look at or have any insight on the question? Thanks!

Heavensward ends with Raubahn moving the Alliance forces into Baelsar's Wall and securing Castrum Oriens in 3.55.

Raubahn Wrote:Aye. Which is why we have sent our main force, under the command of Marshal Tarupin, to capture the Wall. With the imperials in disarray, we have the perfect opportunity to secure Gridania's border, and assess the aftermath of the impact. I myself will join the marshal and his men when the council is adjourned.

I go to oversee operations at Baelsar's Wall. You have done your part─leave us to handle the initial imperial reprisal and rest while you may.

At the start of Stormblood, only a short period of time has passed. Perhaps a week, maybe two.

Y'shtola Wrote:The Alliance has done well to repurpose these imperial facilities for their own use so quickly.

Sonstelot Wrote:After securing the wall, a number of soldiers from the Alliance were posted here in the event of retaliation by the imperials. Each of the nations, including Ishgard, has sent troops to support our efforts here. As one might expect, military procedures and protocol differ from one army to the next, which has admittedly caused problems from time to time. Still, the Garleans have yet to prove a match for our combined forces.

Alphinaud Wrote:Thank you, General. We were relieved to hear that your forces secured the Wall without incident. Have the imperials made any attempt to retake the castrum since then?
Raubahn Wrote:None. Save for a few skirmishes between our scouts and their patrols, we've had barely any contact with them. But we all know it's only a matter of time before things escalate.

As far as Raubahn saying "3-4 years has passed" there is no such dialogue. I've taken pertinent screenshots of Stormblood dialogue and transcripts appear several places online. Raubahn never makes any mention of significant time passage during the course of the MSQ and even still refers to Ala Mhigo's fall as occurring just 20 years ago towards the end of 4.0's MSQ.

As I stated in the post Rookie Judge linked above, the only marked time passage in the MSQ is noted by the residents of the Doman Enclave. I specifically mentioned the quote by Tsuranuki...

Tsuranuki Wrote:‘Twas a year ago my Lord Kaien died, and with him, the dream of Doma. Never again would we be free, I thought…

...which refers specifically to the Doman Rebellion and the cause of the mass Doman migration to Eorzea experienced in ARR 2.2. However, going back and talking to additional NPCs in the Doman Enclave yields additional dialogue that confirms this time passage:

Yomogi Wrote:The enclave was once a center of culture and commerce. Merchants and artisans from all across Yanxia came here to live and work... but that all ended a year ago.

So 2.2 to the end of 4.0 has been roughly 1 year. 3.55 to the beginning of 4.0 was roughly a week or two.

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - SapphireSkylines - 07-09-2017

Thank you so much Sounsyy. You're the best!

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Arashin Kujqai - 07-09-2017

Further on this, how long has it exactly been from the beginning of SB to the end 4.0's content.... to the point of everything being liberated?

Seems so difficult to RP current events with such little time in between the happenings :s.

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-09-2017

The ship ride to/from Kugane is supposed to be about 2 months, as per the lore book.

But as I'm sure Sounsyy stated, stop trying to put a marked date on the game's timeline. Time bubbles don't work that way.

Instead, I'd recommend the fuzzy timeline method. Rather than referring to something with a hard date, refer to it within the general happening of things in the MQS/story. "This takes place around the time the WoL would have been doing _____ ." Not only do you achieve the same same thing, you aren't going to be hindered by people who've played the game for different lengths of time and have to either expand or squash their timelines to sync up.

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Kilieit - 07-09-2017

I was interesting to note certain quest texts that imply the passage of time - so two quests back to back in real terms, but an NPC will say "ah it's been a while since you were last here" even though you were there 5 minutes ago in IRL terms. But... nothing ever specific/concrete. I think the most specific I remember was "a few weeks since you were last here".

Someone cleverer/with more patience for MSQ than me could probably go through and collate all of these kinds of "hints", so we could get a rough idea of the length of 4.0 itself, but I doubt we'll ever get anything concrete, because, as said: time bubble.

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Sounsyy - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 08:47 PM)Kilieit Wrote: Someone cleverer/with more patience for MSQ than me could probably go through and collate all of these kinds of "hints", so we could get a rough idea of the length of 4.0 itself, but I doubt we'll ever get anything concrete, because, as said: time bubble.

I've actually done this and made a doc outlining a very very rough passage of time according to the progression of the MSQ (quests outside the MSQ are highly unreliable for marking time passage as they often exist within their own bubbles).

Needless to say, the rough approximation of overall length of time spent in Stormblood is neither conducive with the time bubble nor the canon "1 year" timeframe established by MSQ NPCs listed in my previous post. Even skimming the absolute minimum amount of time needed to reach Kugane from Limsa via boat (8 weeks), the overall passage of theoretically days and weeks between major MSQ events adds up. A lot.

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Gegenji - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 08:46 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: The ship ride to/from Kugane is supposed to be about 2 months, as per the lore book.

... It's this little bit that gets me. Mostly because I saw someone talking casually of just "going back and forth" between Gyr Albania and Kugane. The trip from Limsa to Kugane is already two months... plus whatever the travel time is from there to the Fringes (or, heck, to Ala Mhigo proper). It's like... that's not something you can just do, aetherytes notwithstanding. And even then... wouldn't it take quite a lot of personal anima (not to mention the teleportation fees) to be just jumping back and forth?

But more on the point of the topic (and less my own personal whinings), I definitely think that a decent amount of time needs to have passed from the beginning of Stormblood to the end. Not just for the travel times to Kugane and back again... but the on-foot travel and - perhaps more importantly - the amassing of forces for the various events. Getting everyone together for Doma Castle isn't something that happens in just a day, right?

I mean, we're talking about gathering together troops and executing operations that lead to the liberation of not one, but two nations. That's not something that happens in a matter of days. As such, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing whatever rough time-frame you have there, Sounsyy. Figuring that all out just on its own might be a fun discourse.

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - L'ohba Tia - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 10:20 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I saw someone talking casually of just "going back and forth" between Gyr Albania and Kugane. The trip from Limsa to Kugane is already two months... plus whatever the travel time is from there to the Fringes (or, heck, to Ala Mhigo proper). It's like... that's not something you can just do, aetherytes notwithstanding. And even then... wouldn't it take quite a lot of personal anima (not to mention the teleportation fees) to be just jumping back and forth?

I'm pretty sure that this is one of those things that the RP community will just ignore for the sake of convenience.

RE: Time Between Heavensward and Stormblood - Arashin Kujqai - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 08:46 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: The ship ride to/from Kugane is supposed to be about 2 months, as per the lore book.

But as I'm sure Sounsyy stated, stop trying to put a marked date on the game's timeline. Time bubbles don't work that way.

Instead, I'd recommend the fuzzy timeline method. Rather than referring to something with a hard date, refer to it within the general happening of things in the MQS/story. "This takes place around the time the WoL would have been doing _____ ." Not only do you achieve the same same thing, you aren't going to be hindered by people who've played the game for different lengths of time and have to either expand or squash their timelines to sync up.
That's typically what I do actually. It's just difficult even to do that if it's an occurrence that only happens over the span of 1-2 days though lol. Just wasn't quite sure.