Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Mateus] New RPer looking for stories and character development - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Player Directory (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: [Mateus] New RPer looking for stories and character development (/showthread.php?tid=19990)

[Mateus] New RPer looking for stories and character development - MuzakFan - 07-04-2017

I. Basic Info 
  • Characters: Cyrilaux Ardouin (RP), A'zeddine Atfi (former raid character, mostly retired)
  • Primary character: Cyrilaux Ardouin (wiki page)
  • Linkshells: None at the moment, but looking
  • Primary RP linkshell: None at the moment, but looking

II. RP Style 
  • Amount of RP (light, medium, heavy): I'm completely new to RP but I guess I'd classify as medium/heavy. I'd like to focus on RP and FFXIV's story about the same amount, and it'd be really awesome to combine the two together if possible.
  • Views on RP combat and injuries:
  • I probably have similar views to most others on here - all injuries should be recoverable and not lead to a character's permanent death, disfigurement, or maiming. If it serves a good story point, injuries requiring convalescence where the IC character is out of commission for a couple IRL days may be ok.
  • I probably go against the grain here but FFXIV does have a PVP area for one-on-one duels. It's not necessary for all RP conflicts to go to the Wolves Den but in situations where both characters are about equally skilled in combat IC, I think it would be really cool for OOC player skill to influence a story's outcome. This would also be more exciting than text-only battles as well.
  • Views on IC romance: Probably not all that interested unless it serves for character development. Even then, romance itself should not be a huge focus of an RP session.
  • Views on non-romantic RP (family ties, etc): I probably need clarification on this question in order to answer fully, or it needs to be decided on an individual character basis. To Cyrilaux's knowledge, all of his known biological family is dead. He has been adopted into other families before and would not mind this again. He also desires a close group of companions but is slow to warm up to strangers.
  • Views on lore: So Final Fantasy as a series usually treats lore in two different ways. The first is the in-universe lore which is usually has specific history, rules, cultures, and customs unique to that numbered game. In XIV's case this would be things like the history of Hydaelyn (the planet), the cycles of astral and umbral eras, the unique culture of each city state, how each class/job came to exist within Hydaelyn, plot events in the MSQ, etc. The second way is how FF as a whole recycles many of the same lore elements as "building blocks" in each game. For example, every game uses many of the same monster designs, jobs like Paladin/White Mage/Dragoon, summons, ability names, mini-games like Triple Triad, locations like Gold Saucer, and musical leitmotifs. Both types of lore are important for a proper FF game, and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in both - I've been playing XIV since before 2.0, and the FF series for most of my life. I will try to stay true to lore most of the time while IC and lean on the fourth wall where appropriate, such as by making veiled references to other elements of FF.
  • Views on chat functions (/say, /linkshell, etc): I guess I'm a purist in that I believe all chat channels should be appropriate for RP in their intended ways. For most casual conversations /say should be used as this allows others to listen in and get involved, like most IRL conversations go. /tell is specifically for when one character wants to whisper something in private to another character without others knowing. /linkshell is more of a "walkie-talkie" for groups to communicate short messages over distance, but shouldn't substitute face-to-face conversation (sort of like how Minfilia keeps making us come back to the Waking Sands). /yell is for getting the attention of others in a wide area, and so on. But please take with a grain of salt that I don't know how RP in XIV really works yet on a practical basis.
III. Other Info 
  • Timezone: U.S. Central Time
  • Contact info: In-game, DM here, or on the Mateus RP discord - @Cyrilaux [Mateus]#2654 

Thanks for reading - I know I can be long-winded in text.