Hydaelyn Role-Players
How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. (/showthread.php?tid=19917)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Warren Castille - 07-14-2017

Oh, and as far as sharing names:

I know of at least one NPC named Osric, someone PM Melkire and tell him he's illegal now.

Or go read about the time some guy on twitter named @mikepence got chewed out during the election cycle because they thought he was @mike_pence or the lawer guy named Donald Trump down in Texas or something who gets hate mail.

One Steve Limit, people.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Eses Fafa - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 02:58 PM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote: Personally, I say the only real no no as far as naming goes is to use the name of a character from the Final Fantasy series. That's usually frowned upon.
That..is actually quite ironic considering Final Fantasy has been reusing names since the second one came out.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Kilieit - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 03:00 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Oh, and as far as sharing names:

I know of at least one NPC named Osric, someone PM Melkire and tell him he's illegal now.

It's actually become a huge... well, not problem, but just a thing? In the xaela RP community I'm familiar with. Like, there are only so many resources online about 15th century Mongolian names.

Which leads to things like that FATE where 3 out of 4 of the NPCs share first names with RPers I know (Altani, Anarba, Sokhatai)... the fact that literally every second xaela NPC in the Steppes has a name I recognise from roleplay (seriously, I know of at least two Cirina's dating back before 4.0)... or the multiple roleplayers named with small variations on Altani / Arslan / Koko / etc etc. in general. Hell, even with my character's name being a bastardisation of a regular noun and not a "real name", I've still seen another RPer with a recognisably similar name (their Aghul, my Aghurlal).

It's just a thing. People using the same resources will come up with ideas inspired by the same knowledge - it's more stark in the xaela community because of the lack of resources, but it's a thing everywhere.

TL;DR if repeating names (from other players or from NPCs) was forbidden, the xaela RP community would be screwed.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Silmanos - 07-14-2017

See from my point of view it is just amusing when a npc crops up that has the same npc as a person you know. You share it with them, you both laugh, and you move on from it. It really isn't that big of a deal. The xaela ones were the most amusing by far because there are so many shared and not all of them the same gender. But again it's just the same thing. Share a screenshot and a laugh and move on. Especially when a lot of people use the random name generator in the character creator for Xaela and Raen you are bound to have A LOT of cross over. My first raen character shared the same last name as the raen from the ninja quest, I didn't know it when I chose it but it happened. Why? Because I used the random name button in creation and SE probably pulls from that very same list when creating NPCs.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Momo - 07-20-2017

Having five people with the same lore appropriate name is better than having 5 Johns, 2 Marys, 3 Steves, or any other number of boring uncreative names. If that character has that name for a reason sure, but those names aren't even backed by visible lore in most cases unless they are a shortening of a more elaborate name or a reference to a real world pop culture subject (and even in those cases could still be a shortening of a longer name).

In the same instance, if you have a name that would better match another race? Just make an appropriate story to help you solidify the idea. A name that fits into the world, and is creative, will always be better received than a name that matches nothing, or isn't well thought out. If you like a name of a character from another final fantasy, I say go for it, but have the appropriate foundation to work that character as someone only inspired by, and not directly coming from the other games.

I guess this is a harsh stance, but I think it is better to set a standard to work from, and if you deviate and have a good foundation, go for it. I don't write characters off entirely based off names, but I admit seeing a name which plain stands out as something someone insisted on keeping before or after actually researching lore, does alert me to have caution.