Hydaelyn Role-Players
How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. (/showthread.php?tid=19917)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Crystal Chronicler - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 02:16 PM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: ...now I'm imagining someone playing a Highlander with a beard and the long-hair-and-headband look, with tanned skin, wearing a white robe, named Jesus Muhammad, roleplayed as totally counter to the two theologies (a partying lech who loves the Quicksand and everything it stands for), and I can't decide if that's the worst idea or the best idea.

Well, one of those two figures is known for...actually, it's probably best I not finish that statement.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Impstatus - 07-01-2017

Op. Do not roleplay with people who have problem with your caracters name. You can bet your tail if they ever get over it, they find another equally pointless thing to complain about.

...I thouht your characters name was Mae Big Grin
As in "Clan name/hometowns name/surname"-no-"given name/first name". I mean, thats how you read those, riiiht? Izumo no Okuni, Abe no Seimei... etc.

If everyone is as lazy as me, go read Otoyomegatari to get inspired for Xaela. Also there shall never be situation where Abraham Lincoln is not good name. Like how meta, there is biblical layer beneath historical person layer.

Stay cool and good day to yall!

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Erah'sae - 07-06-2017

What your character decides to call herself is what your character decides to call herself.  Maybe she just had parents that had a thing for kitsune?

If anyone complains, tell them exactly that and to take it ICly.

There shouldn't really be a debate over it it's lore abiding because in the end, it doesn't matter. 
As an example we have some really screwed up names in the real world that are no more or less valid. 

Just be prepared for some IC push back about the name at that point.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Varinh - 07-06-2017

With the context finally given throughout the later pages of the thread, I wouldn't say the name is lore breaking. It's just ... Mary sue I guess? But whether or not that's a problem is for only you to decide. It's your money spent to name change or Fantasia, and even your own subscription, so don't worry too much about what other people think unless you really care about appealing to them. I can promise you more than half the people you'll roleplay with won't give a crap if you were named Heartjoker Bloodynoses, icly or not.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - yhvh13 - 07-14-2017

Wa-wa-wait...

People are calling you off for having the same name as a NPC?

Lol! Like if it's impossible to have duplicates.

It's not an issue really. At best is a thing to add up in your RPing!

Even the highlander ingame name generator can name you Lyse.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Flashhelix - 07-14-2017

(07-06-2017, 01:08 PM)Perth Wrote: With the context finally given throughout the later pages of the thread, I wouldn't say the name is lore breaking. It's just ... Mary sue I guess?

That's not what that word means.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Nebbs - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 09:37 AM)Flashhelix Wrote:
(07-06-2017, 01:08 PM)Perth Wrote: With the context finally given throughout the later pages of the thread, I wouldn't say the name is lore breaking. It's just ... Mary sue I guess?

Mary Sue... not the best name for a char tbh.

Smile

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Varinh - 07-14-2017

A xaela named after a ooc fox spirit is a pretty oocly idealised thing, if you ask me. Which is the definition of a Mary sue. But these are all just opinions, not facts.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Gegenji - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 09:55 AM)Perth Wrote:

A xaela named after a ooc fox spirit is a pretty oocly idealised thing, if you ask me. Which is the definition of a Mary sue. But these are all just opinions, not facts.

Conversely, I think naming someone after someone famous is just... normal. As I think it was mentioned earlier, wouldn't we all be Mary Sues if we have names from the bible? All your Joshuas and Johns and (literal) Marys are "Mary Sues" in this case.

I lean towards Mary Sue-ism being less about the name of the character and more about the character itself in its abilities and forced importance onto the scene they are in. What their name is? Not so much. It could be an indicator of a Sue (comedic example: Maximum Edgelord McDeathmaster), but not always.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Varinh - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 10:02 AM)Gegenji Wrote:

Conversely, I think naming someone after someone famous is just... normal. As I think it was mentioned earlier, wouldn't we all be Mary Sues if we have names from the bible? All your Joshuas and Johns and (literal) Marys are "Mary Sues" in this case.

I lean towards Mary Sue-ism being less about the name of the character and more about the character itself in its abilities and forced importance onto the scene they are in. What their name is? Not so much. It could be an indicator of a Sue (comedic example: Maximum Edgelord McDeathmaster), but not always.

Yeah, I don't think that one thing would title an entire character as a sue. Calling it a possible indicator is well-said. However, I suppose where the biblical name comparison doesn't quite match up is in that biblical names were bread and butter generic from the start and still are today, while you might be hard pressed to find someone who would go out of their way to name their child after the mythical fox spirit in real life, something like Amaterasu; commonality, I guess? Doesnt mean someone would never have done it, of course. Hard to describe.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Silmanos - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 10:08 AM)Perth Wrote:
(07-14-2017, 10:02 AM)Gegenji Wrote:

Yeah, I don't think that one thing would title an entire character as a sue. Calling it a possible indicator is well-said. However, I suppose where the biblical name comparison doesn't quite match up is in that biblical names were bread and butter generic from the start and still are today, while you might be hard pressed to find someone who would go out of their way to name their child after the mythical fox spirit in real life, something like Amaterasu; commonality, I guess? Doesnt mean someone would never have done it, of course. Hard to describe.

As someone who has met people named Aphrodite, Thor, Morrigan, and other such diety based names I would beg to differ. I'd actually be surprised if someone hasn't at all be named after said fox spirit irl. I really see no issue with it being used, then again my character's name is Emrys. It's an actual celtic name, but it is also associated with Merlin. As has been stated if we avoid using these names well... we're just needlessly limiting ourselves. There is nothing lore breaking about the OP's name as it fits the Doman/Raen conventions and since it existed before the SB mention of it I see no issue why any would say otherwise.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Aegir - 07-14-2017

Hahaha or those parents that name their kids after royalty: Victoria, Elizabeth, James. Fucking Mary Sues.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Warren Castille - 07-14-2017

[Image: 56e2a4906f5a6.jpeg]

Someone tell this guy he's not allowed to have that name, it's not canon for Earth.

...really, I don't ever sweat people who complain about non-compliant names. People can call themselves whatever they want, in real life or in fake ones.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Silmanos - 07-14-2017

I.... well... at least he decided to go with the flow of his name. That is a wizard approved beard.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Crystal Chronicler - 07-14-2017

Personally, I say the only real no no as far as naming goes is to use the name of a character from the Final Fantasy series. That's usually frowned upon.