Hydaelyn Role-Players
How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. (/showthread.php?tid=19917)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Crystal Chronicler - 06-29-2017

I think the problem the person has is that your character is named after a Japanese mythological figure (unless they are thinking of the Fate/Extra character who is based on the myth). I suppose some people can find this a bit special snowflaky, but unless there is an NPC by that name I don't see what the problem is.

And as far as having a name that doesn't fit race naming conventions, I say it shouldn't matter so long as its an actual name. My main is a female Miqo'te named Jenna Oswell who is named after the character Jenna from Golden Sun. It doesn't fit Miqo'te naming conventions, but it shouldn't have to and I ain't about to change it.Tongue

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Eses Fafa - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 09:12 AM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote: I think the problem the person has is that your character is named after a Japanese mythological figure (unless they are thinking of the Fate/Extra character who is based on the myth). I suppose some people can find this a bit special snowflaky, but unless there is an NPC by that name I don't see what the problem is.

And as far as having a name that doesn't fit race naming conventions, I say it shouldn't matter so long as its an actual name. My main is a female Miqo'te named Jenna Oswell who is named after the character Jenna from Golden Sun. It doesn't fit Miqo'te naming conventions, but it shouldn't have to and I ain't about to change it.Tongue
Quite so, it's alright to take inspiration from something, but to outright copy something is never on. Even if it translates to 'Splendid Gem of the Past', Raen names in fact have an adjective or verbal-based surname in ENGLISH (myes, jolly good!). As for having names that don't suit the lorehound's strict rules, there's plenty of ways one can get their name altered outside of racial traditions. Mine was a family that splintered from the Moshantu, and Miss Oswell here sounds like the sort to come up from a hyuran family/household!

But Tamamo-no-Mae as a name choice is unfortunately no better than Naruto Uzumaki, Abraham Lincoln, Thor Odinson, Corey Inthehouse, etc etc.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - SicketySix - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 09:30 AM)Eses Fafa Wrote: But Tamamo-no-Mae as a name choice is unfortunately no better than Naruto Uzumaki, Abraham Lincoln, Thor Odinson, Corey Inthehouse, etc etc.

Surely you jest...

Granted I would be hard pressed to take Abraham Lincoln or Corey Inthehouse seriously for any sort of RP, but names like Thor or Naruto, who cares? If a player wants to sport white hair and walk away claiming his name is Thancred, without actually being Thancred, I say who cares? Does it really effect you that much?

And lets just say that I can understand a persons dislike for having the same name as an influential NPC. But to have an aversion to a name that is not present in the current game? That sounds a bit harsh. Especially since names overlap IRL. I bet I even know someone with your same name. OR they to be taken any less serious? Should I dislike someones name because they are called George, and obviously they are copying George Washington? lol

I say as long as a person is not actually RPing that particular character, and using just the name, let them be.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Drej - 06-29-2017

Whoever you were talking to has a weird nitpick problem.

I'm a lore snob across all of my games/universes and I think yours is just fine. She's supposed to be a Raen, yes? Then you're fine. I did do a quick google out of curiosity and found that the name seems to be actually from a JRPG character, but meh. Raen have Japanese names and you're not actually trying to BE that JRPG character (I also have no idea if you were even aware that character exists), so I'd say don't worry about this person and block them if they're determined to keep giving you crap for it.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Jana - 06-29-2017

Stormblood FATE spoilers, potentially.

Show Content

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Fox - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 10:19 AM)SicketySix Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 09:30 AM)Eses Fafa Wrote: But Tamamo-no-Mae as a name choice is unfortunately no better than Naruto Uzumaki, Abraham Lincoln, Thor Odinson, Corey Inthehouse, etc etc.

Surely you jest...

Granted I would be hard pressed to take Abraham Lincoln or Corey Inthehouse seriously for any sort of RP, but names like Thor or Naruto, who cares? If a player wants to sport white hair and walk away claiming his name is Thancred, without actually being Thancred, I say who cares? Does it really effect you that much?

And lets just say that I can understand a persons dislike for having the same name as an influential NPC. But to have an aversion to a name that is not present in the current game? That sounds a bit harsh. Especially since names overlap IRL. I bet I even know someone with your same name. OR they to be taken any less serious? Should I dislike someones name because they are called George, and obviously they are copying George Washington? lol

I say as long as a person is not actually RPing that particular character, and using just the name, let them be.

I would have to agree with Six on this. Parents have been historically known to name their children after famous entities. So I don't see why RPers cannot. What about names that; for example you had created let's just say 'Arlene' whatever the heck. You've had Arlene for years and suddenly a pop culture anime/book/tv show/videogame (FFXIV) suddenly uses this name and it becomes super popular? Will you be forced to change your name because it's suddenly a commonly known name? No. I'd have to say absolutely not. Even a name like 'Naruto' is just the Japanese word for Fish-cake. This is something that existed before Naruto.

Interestingly; while we're on the same track- Jiraya from Naruto is a historically mythical person and the name was used. I guarantee you no one who doesn't keep Japanese mythology would have not known this. Now people are like "Oh you're stealing from Naruto" when the fact is this is something that long existed before Naruto the anime. So I find it a bit silly to try to police someone's use of a name of all things.

Frankly who cares. If you just avoided -every- popular name your list would end up so small for choices- and typically ugly choices. If we avoided every mythological name, every pop culture name, every Top 20 Common Names for 2017 we're really going to end up with a small list. Where do we draw the line? Is it at "Naruto Uzamaki" or "Naruto" or even to the point of "Naruti"? Let people play what they want; they really aren't harming anything. If it's something that bothers folks so much just don't rp with the person.

Personally? I use lore abiding names because I think it's fun to create something like that within the structure of the game. I love lore. But there are times; for example my SO plays a 'city miqo'te' since it's something that prexists 2.0 where there were no real name conventions who is named Lakin Chase but he's got reasons for the name use instead of a tribal name. OP if you can work it into your favor and can make reasons why there would be an exception for your character- by all means go ahead.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Gegenji - 06-29-2017

As a bit of an extra nail in the coffin... I wonder if George Washington Carver ever got picked on or ignored for having the full name of a president in his name.

And, to a more of an extreme sense... man, if we couldn't name people after famous entities, think of all the names from the Bible we couldn't use. Jacob, David, Joshua, Peter, Mary...

That said, I do agree with Six on the point that some names - if of high enough profile and used in their entirety - will likely get you some odd looks. Naruto might work, but Naruto Uzumaki might get people wary. Abraham or Lincoln might work on their own, but combined... not so much. I think the issue would also be magnified if the name doesn't fit the naming schemes of the race or doesn't have a good explanation for why they're named like that. Like a green-skinned Sea Wolf who is just named Bruce Banner.

In the OP's case, it's a name that fits the naming scheme just fine. Of course, I might be a bit biased on the matter considering my Raen's (first) name is taken from a fighting game and I've yet to see any issues with it. Blush

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Crystal Chronicler - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 11:00 AM)Jana Wrote: Stormblood FATE spoilers, potentially.

Show Content

If I'm not mistaken, her name would translate to "Morning Duckweed". If that's the case, its hilarious.Laugh

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Lydia Lightfoot - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 02:43 AM)Kilieit Wrote: I think that's more to do with voice directors maybe not getting memos properly. What we can do is look at the official race naming conventions thread, which puts it in very plain terms (emphasis mine):

Quote:The second clan—the Xaela—take theirs from Mongolian.
[...]
As was mentioned earlier, Xaela names are based on Mongolian names/words used in the 15th century (give or take a few centuries). Lists of ancient Mongolian names can also be found on the Internet for those not versed in ancient Mongolian history (I’m guessing that’s a lot).
[...]
The following is a list of the clan names and a quick blurb describing the clan. The words used in tribe names are, for the most part, original words based loosely on 15th to 17th century Mongolian spellings.

Like I'd said, the pre-release data indicated Mongolian, but the actual script (both written and spoken - which has consistent pronunciation among all the actors, I paid attention after I heard the words spoken in an unexpected way after the very first time) points to Turkish. That said, there's substantial enough overlap between the cultures - particularly in the time of Genghis Khan and predecessors - that it's entirely possible their culture is, itself, a blend (language akin to Turkish norms, names akin to Mongol norms, etc). In any case, best for us not to hijack the OP's thread. xD

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Mother - 06-29-2017

Show Content

As stated, I had this name near the beginning of Heavensward. I was ecstatic to finally get some form of Tamamo ears tho.

Also, could people stop shit talking my friend that I'm having the debate with? Yeesh.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - SicketySix - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 12:31 PM)Mother Wrote:

Show Content

As stated, I had this name near the beginning of Heavensward. I was ecstatic to finally get some form of Tamamo ears tho.

Also, could people stop shit talking my friend that I'm having the debate with? Yeesh.
Maybe next time try not to give the impression they are an asshole.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Mother - 06-29-2017

(06-29-2017, 12:35 PM)SicketySix Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 12:31 PM)Mother Wrote:

Show Content

Maybe next time try not to give the impression they are an asshole.

I didn't. She's the best kitty. In fact, I gave no impressions of her. I only posted our chat log. If anything, I come off as abrasive, not her.

(06-29-2017, 05:59 AM)Aegir Wrote: Can I call you Tomato?

Sure. Lol.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Fox - 06-29-2017

There was no context provided that this was your friend. And to be quite honest people on the RPC are going to be a little protective of one of their own community. From what we saw it was some rando-harassing you. And yes their comments were a bit aggressive themself which is why people came to your defense. You can't expect us to know this without the information being given. The original tone of the post before you added in the conversation lead people to believe that you were being attacked for your character's name. Then later the convo was added without further context; so people are naturally going to think it's a random person just coming up to you. Further people have been quite reserved; I don't think anyone did anything but criticize the situation for what it was known to us; a situation.

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Kage - 06-29-2017

Do you people who have 'issues' with OP's name also have issues with people being named Jesus or Mohamed, or Moses too?

RE: How is my name not Lore Abiding? I'm tired of being told it isn't. - Lydia Lightfoot - 06-29-2017

...now I'm imagining someone playing a Highlander with a beard and the long-hair-and-headband look, with tanned skin, wearing a white robe, named Jesus Muhammad, roleplayed as totally counter to the two theologies (a partying lech who loves the Quicksand and everything it stands for), and I can't decide if that's the worst idea or the best idea.