Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Dusty Journal of Y'raya Shul - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Dusty Journal of Y'raya Shul (/showthread.php?tid=19901)

The Dusty Journal of Y'raya Shul - Y'raya - 06-28-2017

I love Ul'dah. Don't get me wrong. I've lived here a long time, and I love it. I mean, sure, it's dusty and arid and... all the other kind of unpleasant things it is. I didn't used to think they were unpleasant, but living by the sea will spoil you. But it is pretty! In it's own way. The food is okay. The people are great, even if some of them are a bit stuffy. And the money... oh, the marks you'll find in this city. Jewels everywhere. Enough coin to buy all the jewels everywhere. Expensive pieces of art, or vases, or... vases full of jewels and art, if you don't mind sticking out and have the stamina to run for long periods of time.

I am just so very sick of crayfish. I would murder for an anchovy. Just one. I don't even need multiple. I will kill the last person who wronged... well, whoever walks in here next, if they bring me a single anchovy, or I will die trying. It's worth it.

I should probably be more careful scribbling about murder in the middle of the Quicksand. Not that I murder. People, that is. Does killing Ixal count as murder? What about bandits? I mean, I am getting paid. And the people paying are typically law-abiding or law-enforcing... where is that line drawn, exactly?

I've lived here a few years now. Ever since the calamity. I'd run away home, but something always seems to keep me around. And sure I travel, but... this is home now, I guess. Whining aside, I do mean what I said. I love this city. I just never thought I'd find a good fishing hole more valuable than all the jewelry in the world.

Gods I miss the ocean.

Now I smell anchovies. I bet it's that scruffy looking Keeper again...

RE: The Dusty Journal of Y'raya Shul - Y'raya - 06-28-2017

There is a problem with Lalafell. Don't get me wrong. I mean, I don't mean to... y'know. Come off like that. At all. That's... wow, I am digging a hole for myself in my own journal. That's a new one.

What I mean is that they're almost too cute to rob. I mean, really. Little mustaches, funny little hats, little button noses... I'm saying "little" a lot here. I've gone from racist to sizeist in a few sentences. Is that even a word? Sizeist?

Anyroad, I had an old friend come visit me today. Pokiki and I don't see each other often, but she's always nice to have around. Doesn't take up much room, even in conversations, which is great for someone who has trouble keeping their mouth closed. I think she has as much trouble here as I do, with all the dust around, even though her cousins are everywhere in this city. Gridania has spoiled her, I guess. All that green everywhere.

She was around a lot when I ran around in Limsa Lominsa. Always nice to me. Liked to just sit there and watch the water as I fish. Feels weird still, that I hardly know anyone here. I should do something about that.

I went to visit Gridania today. Pokiki wanted some company on the way back, and thing have been kind of quiet lately, anyhow. Besides, it'll be nice to go somewhere cool, and pleasant, and full of rivers and lakes.

There was this girl on the Airship with us. Xaela, I think her people are called. Black scales, right? Her people can be so varied. Pale skinned, dark skinned, blazing eyes of all sorts of colors... she was... well, I used to think grey was just drab, right? But she was all black, and white, and grey, and... I had trouble not looking at her. She didn't seem to pay it any mind. There was just something almost ethereal about her. Like a walking ghost.

Another Xaela sat across from her. He was quiet. Didn't speak. Just looked at her. She smiled at him, but just sat there, staring out over the landscape. She seemed twitchy, kind of. Her hand kept moving. Don't know what that was all about. She smiled at him again when we docked, and then got up and left. She smiled at me, too.

Pokiki practically had to pull me out of my seat while I watched her leave. She was interesting.

Back in Thanalan. Did a little work out of Black Brush today. Issues with the local Qirin. Lucky me, I happen to take the same job as Red Boar.

Look, if you do this kind of work in Thanalan, hiring your blade out and the like, and you haven't met Red Boar? Gods you're lucky. I never would have thought someone so large could be such a pest. He's loud, and brazen, and just... ugh! I mean, sure, when you're a gladiator that's probably a good thing. Make some noise, get the crowds attention. Out here it's just irritating.

I try to sneak, and he's suddenly running past me and bashing things with his shield. I swear I saw him throw it at something at one point. Is that a thing you're even supposed to do with a shield? Throw it? Seems to defeat the purpose of having one. Makes it a lot harder to work, too, when some fool is just smashing up a camp you're trying to pick off slowly.

I managed to give him the slip after getting back into town. Once he spotted me it was like he thought we were old buddies. I think he forgets me, half the time. Tripped me up once as I was, ah... exercising. Let's go with that. I mean, why would I be running from anyone, right? After I ducked away, he just moved right along to annoying some other poor soul. I think I'll keep my head down a while longer. Until he's left. Just to be safe. I miss the quiet already.

Mages worry me. Creepy demon women worry me. Creepy demon women with magic terrify me.

Also, why are elves so tall, anyways?

Spending the day visiting Limsa Lominsa. Feels good to be back here. Everything smells salty, and fishy. I swear I can pick up the scent of the Bismark from across town.

The Drowning Wench seems quiet this early in the day. Hardly anyone around, except for some redhead in the corner with a book, and one of those glowing rabbit things on her shoulder. Every now and then she pushes her glasses up, turns a page, or gives an annoyed glance to something that made a noise. How can you spend so much time here and never look outside?

-----

She did finally leave. It took half the day. It almost became a game for me. How long can I stare and make faces without her noticing? I'm not sure she ever did.

I spent the rest of the day fishing. Hopefully someone at the Bismark can help me prepare these well enough to keep for when I head home.

If there's one thing I like about the Roegadyn in Ul'dah, it's my ability to pronounce their names. Tall Oak. Red Boar. Blustering Oaf. That last one isn't an actual name, I don't think, but you get the idea. Still, I love the Sea Wolves. Sure, they can be... bold. And loud. And occasionally brutish. But they're endearing, right? And generally helpful in a pinch.

This one in particular came in at just the right moment. I try to pick my fights well, meaning one-on-one and heavily leaning in my favor. Sometimes plans just kind of get thrown to the wind. Those times it's always nice to have some vibrant-haired giant of a woman to come barrel through the mongrels trying to pin you down and rip your face off with their yellow teeth.

Also, their breath... the dogs, not the woman. Her breath is fine. I assume. Not that I know.

Shut up, me.

Journals are weird.

I mean, my thoughts are my thoughts, right? They're in my head. And... no, I'm losing it. Whatever.

Point is, this is weird.

I'm decided to go visit Pokiki one more time on my way back to Ul'dah. It's been about a week or so since I left Limsa Lominsa. The anchovies are already gone. Pacing is not my strong suit. Or self-control, I guess. Worth it.

Finally found that annoying Keeper that passes through Ul'dah from time to time. Smug little... I see him a lot at the Golden Saucer. He's always playing cards, I think. I don't know why he bothers me so much. Something shifty about him? Or is that just me being paranoid?

He did buy me dinner that once. Don't know why. He didn't even come over and join me. Just left, and I found out later he'd paid for it. Strange man. OH! I better run. They're announcing the winning Cactpot numbers!

Why am I even writing that? Or this? Whatever. Journals are weird.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The rest of the pages are blank. She must've lost this journal some time ago.)

RE: The Dusty Journal of Y'raya Shul - Y'raya - 07-01-2017

(( This was mostly just a weird way for me to kind of semi-introduce my characters. New thread will have more, from multiple perspectives, including short stories, other characters journals, overheard conversations, and so on. All posts from new thread will also go up on my Tumblr. ))