Hydaelyn Role-Players
RDM in RP Yes or no? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: RDM in RP Yes or no? (/showthread.php?tid=19853)

Pages: 1 2

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Gegenji - 06-25-2017

(06-25-2017, 08:57 AM)Valic Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 12:51 PM)Silmanos Wrote: Somemjobs actually require a soulstone in order to learn. Jobs such as Dragoon and Black Mage are perfect examples. Dragoon requires it in order to properly jump and Black Mage requires it otherwise you will combust. I can't say for certain about Red Mage just yet because I haven't gotten too far but considering it is a dsicipline in which you cast Black and White Magic with your personal reserves I'd imagine there is potential you might need to avoid combustion like Black Mage. Someone who has completed the quests would know more though. 

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Arashin Kujqai - 06-25-2017

(06-25-2017, 09:55 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 08:57 AM)Valic Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 12:51 PM)Silmanos Wrote: Somemjobs actually require a soulstone in order to learn. Jobs such as Dragoon and Black Mage are perfect examples. Dragoon requires it in order to properly jump and Black Mage requires it otherwise you will combust. I can't say for certain about Red Mage just yet because I haven't gotten too far but considering it is a dsicipline in which you cast Black and White Magic with your personal reserves I'd imagine there is potential you might need to avoid combustion like Black Mage. Someone who has completed the quests would know more though. 

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content
Dang it... I remember that scene but I think I skimmed that bit x.x

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Valence - 06-26-2017

Are you sure about the DRG soulstone being necessary for the jumps? Jumps have always been something rather elusive to point out from where exactly that power comes from, and I'm rather interested to know more if you have any material in mind on the matter (lorebook maybe? I don't remember the part on DRG well).

(06-24-2017, 07:09 AM)Skae Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 07:03 AM)Valic Wrote: I feel job stones are a bit of a nuisance for me in my story atm as it seems you need one to fully understand the limits of the class. Which leads into a character having to find one, whether off a corpse, lost in a casm somewhere you found, or given to you specifically by the trainer.

I think you can learn most jobs just fine without a soulstone - it will just take a lot more time.  They are mostly just there to explain how we can learn things in a few weeks that really should take several years to learn properly.
Whoever first invented the job would not have had a soulstone, and for entirely new jobs (like MCH) there won't be any old soulstones to learn from.

Baring a few specific jobs like MCH and BLM where the soulstone is in the first case mandatory for the job to work, and the latter, not to burn your insides in the process.

(06-24-2017, 07:03 AM)Valic Wrote:
Show Content

Yes it's a bit weird when she tells you that. It seems to be implied even when Urianger offers her that blade that he made sure to make something very unique and suiting her.

I tend to believe him considering the look of that sword...

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Tyndles - 06-26-2017

I think if you're playing a Red Mage in the beginner learning stages, it's fine. Unless you are playing someone in Ala Mhigo, then more advanced is very doable.

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Yssen - 06-26-2017

The art seems pretty easy to pick up from quest dialogue and relatively wide spread. Gyr Abania may have been where it started but there is also mention of it being taken to the Sharlayans. There are a couple people saying "must be Ala Mhigan" but I think that really only applies if one is trying to be a Crimson Duelist (which would seem difficult to be at this point because reasons). The quest is pretty clear that all Crimson Duelists were Red Mages, but not all Red Mages were Crimson Duelists. RDM is actually one of the more open jobs out there in terms of lore.

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Nebbs - 06-26-2017

(06-26-2017, 05:33 AM)Yssen Wrote: The art seems pretty easy to pick up from quest dialogue and relatively wide spread. Gyr Abania may have been where it started but there is also mention of it being taken to the Sharlayans. There are a couple people saying "must be Ala Mhigan" but I think that really only applies if one is trying to be a Crimson Duelist (which would seem difficult to be at this point because reasons). The quest is pretty clear that all Crimson Duelists were Red Mages, but not all Red Mages were Crimson Duelists. RDM is actually one of the more open jobs out there in terms of lore.

Yes good points, and given that the Crimson Duelists, as well as others that may have learned, can move about then I would suggest you could work it into a back story in many ways.

Also it could still fit into finding the Crimson Duelists and learning more advanced forms from them.

Personally I left it as someone she met on one of her sea voyages.. , ♪ I met a strange man, he made me nervous. He took me in and gave me breakfast. And he said ♪ ... "here try this blade out.."  the rest is history, and now she finds the Crimson Blades to refine her basic style (maybe).