Hydaelyn Role-Players
RDM in RP Yes or no? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: RDM in RP Yes or no? (/showthread.php?tid=19853)

Pages: 1 2

RDM in RP Yes or no? - Dinah-mite! - 06-23-2017

Wanted to know the general thought here? X'rhun doesn't really seem to opposed to teaching new people how to be a RDM (Admittedly due to huge queues I'm not far in the quest line yet.) so it doesn't seem like it'd be as big a deal as BLM or WHM in RP.

So what's the general consensus atm? Is RDM RP-able and generally accepted or best to just be done in small circles, and public RP do something else?

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Virella - 06-23-2017

As far as I've read, I think it might be possible if your character is an older Ala Mhigan? They really seem to be going down the Fist of Rhalgr route. There might be some Ala Mhigans still around who are capable of teaching it? But unlike the Fist of Rhalgr, you don't have to be screeching around Rhalgr's praises.

Personally I don't feel comfortable with having my characters being taught by special NPCs.

But I only skimmed trough the quests, so I could be completely wrong. But I feel it might be okay to be done as an older Ala Mhigan, or being taught by one. Once more, unlike Fists, you don't have to be religiously crazy, nor does it seem like a lifestyle/path.

BUT I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG.

I hope someone who did the quests can give better advice than I can.

Edit: Wasn't there also some mention of Sharlayans having the craft as well now? Due to X'rhun travelling there? Once again, only skimmed trough the quests ect!

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Dinah-mite! - 06-23-2017

Oh yeah I was more thinking using someone else to teach it "if" possible. It just seems like a magic discipline that's less taboo so far.

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Teadrinker - 06-24-2017

RDM is next on my list and I plan on creating one. I can pipe back in here when I have more to offer.

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Valence - 06-24-2017

Show Content

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Arashin Kujqai - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 04:20 AM)Valence Wrote:
Show Content

Show Content

I'd like to know just how broad the line for learning red magic is honestly. According to an end quest(which I won't reveal the details of), it seems like learning thaumaturgy or conjury gets you started to learn the basics of red magic. However I don't fully understand if that means you require a job stone or if you can be self taught somehow. X'ruhn is the only trainer it seems and he's just handing out stones.... But surely that could mean he's given one to someone else in his time and they could teach or provide you with the knowledge/stone you need?

I feel job stones are a bit of a nuisance for me in my story atm as it seems you need one to fully understand the limits of the class. Which leads into a character having to find one, whether off a corpse, lost in a casm somewhere you found, or given to you specifically by the trainer.

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Skae - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 07:03 AM)Valic Wrote: I feel job stones are a bit of a nuisance for me in my story atm as it seems you need one to fully understand the limits of the class. Which leads into a character having to find one, whether off a corpse, lost in a casm somewhere you found, or given to you specifically by the trainer.

I think you can learn most jobs just fine without a soulstone - it will just take a lot more time. They are mostly just there to explain how we can learn things in a few weeks that really should take several years to learn properly.
Whoever first invented the job would not have had a soulstone, and for entirely new jobs (like MCH) there won't be any old soulstones to learn from.

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Arashin Kujqai - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 07:09 AM)Skae Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 07:03 AM)Valic Wrote: I feel job stones are a bit of a nuisance for me in my story atm as it seems you need one to fully understand the limits of the class. Which leads into a character having to find one, whether off a corpse, lost in a casm somewhere you found, or given to you specifically by the trainer.

I think you can learn most jobs just fine without a soulstone - it will just take a lot more time.  They are mostly just there to explain how we can learn things in a few weeks that really should take several years to learn properly.
Whoever first invented the job would not have had a soulstone, and for entirely new jobs (like MCH) there won't be any old soulstones to learn from.
You're a life saver <3, finally I can work on my wiki and begin RP'ing again!

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Silmanos - 06-24-2017

Somemjobs actually require a soulstone in order to learn. Jobs such as Dragoon and Black Mage are perfect examples. Dragoon requires it in order to properly jump and Black Mage requires it otherwise you will combust. I can't say for certain about Red Mage just yet because I haven't gotten too far but considering it is a dsicipline in which you cast Black and White Magic with your personal reserves I'd imagine there is potential you might need to avoid combustion like Black Mage. Someone who has completed the quests would know more though. 

Show Content

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Nebbs - 06-24-2017

Well on the RDM quest..

Show Content

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Virella - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 03:40 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Well on the RDM quest..

Show Content
Yeah but let us be real, is this another instance of the Warrior of Light slapping his head against a wall and learning skills out of nowhere, or your average peasant being capable of learning without having a teacher?

It's probably the former :/

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Kage - 06-24-2017

RDM seemed extremely open to just teaching it as long as you have a teacher. The guy just goes oh hey here you go. Alisaie learned from the same guy who ends up being the RDM teacher so I never got the same "restricted" or forbidden vibe from RDM as BLM or WHM got.

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - PhantasticPanda - 06-24-2017

Its probably not restricted as BLM or WHM because as Red Magic developed over the course of centuries, its aim was to build a style of magic from its foundations that could not harm the world through the use of channeling ambient aether as BLM and WHM did. Thaumaturgy is often referenced in the questline due to its similarities of channeling from your internal aether reserves. And many practices that could be seen as potentially harmful, such as anything involving void magic, is forbidden from use, so that neither would be part of its core teachings. Its methods will never be as powerful as BLM and WHM.

Show Content

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Kerrath - 06-24-2017

my answer is it wouldn't bother me for someone to RP a RDM around me.

for me, there is no job that intrinsically bothers me if someone RPs that job, AS LONG AS the player abides by the lore surrounding it. Sometimes that places very strict requirements on your character. If you abide by those strict requirements, though, no problem. 

with that in mind, i have seen no indication that RDM has any strict requirements in place that cement you into playing a certain type of character. There are no race requirements, no gender requirements, no employment requirements, and no age requirements. at best, you might require that someone has, at some point, travelled to ala mhigo, or had a friend in their past who was ala mhigan.

RE: RDM in RP Yes or no? - Arashin Kujqai - 06-25-2017

(06-24-2017, 12:51 PM)Silmanos Wrote: Somemjobs actually require a soulstone in order to learn. Jobs such as Dragoon and Black Mage are perfect examples. Dragoon requires it in order to properly jump and Black Mage requires it otherwise you will combust. I can't say for certain about Red Mage just yet because I haven't gotten too far but considering it is a dsicipline in which you cast Black and White Magic with your personal reserves I'd imagine there is potential you might need to avoid combustion like Black Mage. Someone who has completed the quests would know more though. 

Show Content

Show Content