Hydaelyn Role-Players
When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore (/showthread.php?tid=19851)

When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Casa Kai - 06-23-2017

I am not sure if this is the place for this kind of thread but as the title suggests...what do you guys do when something you have been rping, something that is not explored in the in game lore, suddenly is introduced in the story? Do you re write it? Abandon it completely if it is radically different? It's kind of discouraging because I don't want people to just think I took it right from the msq >.<
Show Content

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Enla - 06-23-2017

(06-23-2017, 04:53 PM)Casa Kai Wrote: I am not sure if this is the place for this kind of thread but as the title suggests...what do you guys do when something you have been rping, something that is not explored in the in game lore, suddenly is introduced in the story? Do you re write it? Abandon it completely if it is radically different? It's kind of discouraging because I don't want people to just think I took it right from the msq >.<
Show Content

I rewrite it unless it's impossible to untangle, which if so I give advanced warning to anyone I RP with and try to follow the lore going forward. However I try to keep as close to the lore as possible and most of my RP associations are of a similar mind. There's a lot of groups out there who honestly won't care and even then it's honestly up to you at the end of the day. If it's bothering you, try and fix it. If you can live with it then don't worry about it. Thumbsup

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Judielle Farendaire - 06-23-2017

If I understand this correctly and the MSQ confirms your headcanon, keep going with it! Problems come when something's refuted, and confirmation can only make something look better in RP.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Erah'sae - 06-23-2017

Well, your character can always be wrong about the thing that is now lore conflicted.  Or you could be an outlier.

Good RP can come from finding out there's a mistake and the coming to grips with it.

Without knowing the sort of RP that you've found conflicting, I can't really make better suggestions?

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Virella - 06-23-2017

If the lore goes with what your character is doing, I don't see the need to panic? She seems fine to me?

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Nebbs - 06-23-2017

Well.. breaking it down..

1. What others know IC - try to not change this, as it is already out there
  2. What only your char knows IC - you can tinker with this I expect, just try not to affect (1)
  3. What only you know as the player - rewrite this to fit and fudge it as needed, no one will be any the wiser
You may probably find that with some IC variation you can adjust to fit, or at least not contradict the new lore.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Gegenji - 06-23-2017

I actually had a story arc back in the age-old days of ARR that may sound vaguely familiar.

A denizen from a nation under Garlean rule is fed up with the Alliance's unwillingness to commit to fighting with Garlemald. In order to force their hand and further his own personal objectives, he gathers together a force that - while dressed in the colors of the Grand Companies - assaults Garlean facilities before being stopped by a rag-tag band of heroes.

Since said character actually survived the encounter, I've played with it being that someone from his old military force that enacted his plan passed it on to a certain SLOPPEH individual who modified it for his own purposes. Said character was annoyed by the theft without credit, but also sees it as a proof of concept that his plan would have worked just fine if it wasn't for those meddling Eorzeans.

... Also he never planned to suicide himself to summon a Primal.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Valence - 06-24-2017

That's why I usually don't feel the need to make up too much stuff that is not written in lore already.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Kilieit - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 04:14 AM)Valence Wrote: That's why I usually don't feel the need to make up too much stuff that is not written in lore already.

What, in case the canon storyline does something similar?

Cause that's a risk with anything. You can make literally the least radical concept ever: a regular old farmer, no tragic backstory, with a deliberately boring name pulled directly from the naming convention thread, who toils all day in the fields...

...and next expac there could still be an MSQ NPC with coincidentally the same name as yours, who is a farmer toiling in coincidentally the same fields... that ends up playing a major role in a major NPC's character development.

And then you'd be in the same position as OP, where you wouldn't be sure whether to change your character to avoid the stigma of ""copying"" the MSQ (when you came up with your thing first) or to stick to your guns and ignore the haters.

The problem OP is talking about has nothing to do with how close or far from the lore someone's concept is.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Valence - 06-26-2017

My apologies, I wasn't through the 59 dungeon yet when I wrote my comment above, so the OP was misleading to me and I didn't figure it out.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Recoil - 06-26-2017

I once had a character who had a device that functionally collected loose local aether into liquid cells on his person he'd use to cast magic with. Since his own pool was fairly limited. People really grooved with it at the time. Don't see how yours might be a problem.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Keiji Naru - 06-29-2017

I try not to be too specific with my characters' background to begin with for that very reason. For example, my Raen is a prince from a small village on the northern bank somewhere on the One River. Though, no one knew that about him ICly. Most people only know he's a wandering samurai, and that allows me to keep it simple enough that if the rest of my backstory somehow became unplausible, I could change it without too much difficulty, save for parties who know who he really is, and most of those would be in the same boat as me anyway.

I think the more generic your character is, the easier it'll be to get more specific later as more lore becomes available. However, another way is to often base your character on currently known lore, so there's a lesser margin of error.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Kallera - 06-29-2017

It was always a thing that negative emotions play a part in invoking a Dark Knight's power. So I was a little more than pleased when aspect of despair and shame were explored in the 60-70 quests, which so happened to be how Kallera uses hers.

RE: When part of your rp is heavily explored in lore - Momo - 06-29-2017

Momo who I have played since 1.0 and who has been a summoner in-character since it was possible to be one, just got a lore boost after years in fact. I have since changed mains because of the inherent struggle of RPing a Lalafell, buuuuut with current SMN lore being introduced, they used literally the same opening I did from previous lore, in that Momo was a survivor of the Ul'dahian army attacks against Ifrit. That was a satisfying development because even though I don't play him, there have been many naysayers over the years about IC summoners, that are no longer supported by the scarcity of information.