Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story (/showthread.php?tid=19831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Virella - 06-24-2017

I liked how Lyse was like "JUST GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER YOU OPPRESSED ALA MHIGANS FIGHT AGAINST THE GARLEANS REEEEE"

Like. Lyse. Hunny. That's now how it works.

Nor after her Othard adventure did she seemed changed in the slightest. I think it was meant to give her character growth? But they fucked that up so badly.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Zhavi - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 09:43 PM)Virella Wrote: I liked how Lyse was like "JUST GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER YOU OPPRESSED ALA MHIGANS FIGHT AGAINST THE GARLEANS REEEEE"

Like. Lyse. Hunny. That's now how it works.

Nor after her Othard adventure did she seemed changed in the slightest. I think it was meant to give her character growth? But they fucked that up so badly.

Every time she was in a position to learn something or grow someone else was given the camera instead. She's been a sidekick and comedic relief for so long I think the writers didn't know how to writer her out of that while still keeping her who she is. So instead she got the waffling pedestal not-really-involved treatment.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - LiadansWhisper - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 09:33 PM)Aaron Wrote: How the FUCK did Gosetsu survive and why the FUCK did Yotsuya survive Hien literally slicing her like he wanted to kill her???

Why the FUCK did Gosetsu SAVE Yotsuya and SWIM TO an isolated island when he was COUGHING UP BLOOD FROM SEVERAL BULLETS IN THE FLANK AND CHEST??? WHO HEALED HIM???

Magic!
Cactuar

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Aaron - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 09:48 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 09:33 PM)Aaron Wrote: How the FUCK did Gosetsu survive and why the FUCK did Yotsuya survive Hien literally slicing her like he wanted to kill her???

Why the FUCK did Gosetsu SAVE Yotsuya and SWIM TO an isolated island when he was COUGHING UP BLOOD FROM SEVERAL BULLETS IN THE FLANK AND CHEST??? WHO HEALED HIM???

Magic!
Cactuar
Well shit. Bout as legitimate a answer I'm going to get I guess.

Though, I knew without a doubt that fucker wasn't dead when the Khojin said he couldn't find the body. I blatantly called he was alive time I read that.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Gegenji - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 09:33 PM)Aaron Wrote: Why the FUCK did Gosetsu SAVE Yotsuya and SWIM TO an isolated island when he was COUGHING UP BLOOD FROM SEVERAL BULLETS IN THE FLANK AND CHEST??? WHO HEALED HIM???

If you're playing a healer during that cutscene, you actually try to heal him! That's my headcanon for why he survived. WoL happened to be a healy-type that day and patched him up enough to survive.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Aaron - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 10:45 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 09:33 PM)Aaron Wrote: Why the FUCK did Gosetsu SAVE Yotsuya and SWIM TO an isolated island when he was COUGHING UP BLOOD FROM SEVERAL BULLETS IN THE FLANK AND CHEST??? WHO HEALED HIM???

If you're playing a healer during that cutscene, you actually try to heal him! That's my headcanon for why he survived. WoL happened to be a healy-type that day and patched him up enough to survive.
Oh? That's actually kinda neat honestly o.o guess that could be a legitimate thing.

Too bad I'm a Dork Knight. I guess I could've like... Blackest Night guarded him or something.... If I were level 70 at the time. Whew.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Kage - 06-24-2017

Gosetsu's scene was entirely reminiscent of FF6 (along with all the other nostalgia homage instances) that I wasn't surprised by the Soroban going "well I couldn't find his body" and seeing he didn't die.

At this point I'm wondering if Edilibus is like Gaius or something.

I was hoping to see Lyse at least try to understand Fordola or why they would fight like the other youths. Instead Lyse is just "THEY'RE STUPID GOD" "TRAITOR"

I never got that option, and I was playing as a White Mage.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Gegenji - 06-24-2017

(06-24-2017, 11:00 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:

I never got that option, and I was playing as a White Mage.

Really? I did on SCH. You refuse to leave him or whatever, and Gogon held out his hand with the heal-glowies. It doesn't change anything, but I saw that as an attempt to heal.

(06-24-2017, 10:59 PM)Kage Wrote: Gosetsu's scene was entirely reminiscent of FF6 (along with all the other nostalgia homage instances) that I wasn't surprised by the Soroban going "well I couldn't find his body" and seeing he didn't die.

... And yeah. The moment that scene happened I just went "OH MY GOD HE'S PULLING A SABIN."

(06-24-2017, 11:11 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Really? I did on SCH. You refuse to leave him or whatever, and Gogon held out his hand with the heal-glowies. It doesn't change anything, but I saw that as an attempt to heal.

I'll try looking at the cutscene again. Maybe I chose the wrong option?

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Sin - 06-25-2017

No body.
Specific explanation by NPC on how the floor collapsed underneath them and sent them into the river.
Not a single tear was shed that day.

Gosetsu, no family, probably dedicated to fighting one war or another his entire life. Yotsuyu, no love in her life from her family. Oh, I see what's happening here. Redemption arc. Lets ride.

I wonder how they can make it good though. I felt like they tried real hard to get me to feel for her motives, but the entire time I'm sitting there shaking my head like alright I see you had a rough one. You're still an awful person though.

I liked Zenos. Yeah, he was one dimensional but you need one of those every so often. When all your villains are fallen heroes that gets old too. Sometimes you just need a villain that's a monster. And this one was recognized as such even by his papa. Like it wasn't a character that was meant to be deeper and they fumbled it-- it was just a character that was meant to be a shallow monster.

Fordola was fantastic on the other hand. Just great.

This xpac definitely lacked the emotional impact of Haurchefaunt dying. Like compared to Haurchefaunt... who the eff was Conrad. I mean the old man was alright, but my friends barely remembered him. I had to remind them he died when they spoke of how little we lost.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - LiadansWhisper - 06-25-2017

(06-25-2017, 02:27 AM)Sin Wrote: This xpac definitely lacked the emotional impact of Haurchefaunt dying. Like compared to Haurchefaunt... who the eff was Conrad. I mean the old man was alright, but my friends barely remembered him. I had to remind them he died when they spoke of how little we lost.

Gosetsu was our Haurchefant, I believe.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Kisha Taluun - 06-25-2017

I really liked the MSQ. From a gameplay and general narrative perspective, it had good pacing and it didn't really feel 'boring' at times. There were enough high moments to compensate for the quiet moments. So overall I like the approach they have taken and it's a step up from Heavensward. In truth, I think this is the best MMO Expansion I've played, and I played a boatload of them. So eh..well done SE. Smile

However, there's a couple of minor gripes which can mostly be summarized into one thing: 'Lack of lasting impact.'

So going in order of events in the story somewhat, these are the things I somewhat disliked or had problems with. -Everything else- I loved to bits.
- Y'shtola - Urgh..I love her to bits really (her character, not her..physical appearance). And I have to admit that parts of Y'shtola rubbed off on my own character's do's and dont's BUT: She's got a real huge case of plot armour. This was the -perfect- moment for her to die as it would have had true meaning that she did everything to save her friends even if it would mean standing against huge odds. But no..she literally spits blood from a sword the size of a car being stuffed into her gut and she survives like some sort of Goldshire superhero. ARGH. I've seen stuff like this happen during RP events and since I always RP the 'mender' type in every MMO, basically what Krile and my character (the WOL actually heals Y'shtola instead of Alphinaud/Allisae if you play a healer class) had to go through is exactly the same thing that happened to my characters in several RP events in many MMO's in the past had to go through: Healing wounds which you are highly unlikely to ever heal from. And we already know Y'shtola is getting weaker and weaker due to the strain of the Aether being put on her. And yet she survives...somehow. *sighs* I get she's the poster-girl and that killing off poster-girls are bad for business, but if she had really died it would have really felt like a loss...at this point I think they are never going to kill her off. She's too popular as a mascot. The one thing I did like is that at the end of the story she gets snarky and sarcastic as a jest. More of that please, much more. I haven't really seen much of -that- side of Y'shtola since the start of Heavensward.

- Lyse - Okay, I see where they wanted to go with her. At first she's young, stubborn and due to the defeat in Rhalgr's Reach, she goes on a journey to Othard in order to do soul-searching and help an old friend. And for a while, she actually -does- learn some stuff. However, what she is missing is a 'mentor' character. It would be sappy as hell but I think it would have been better if Hien and Lyse got closer and that Hien would learn Lyse about 'restraint'. When we return back in Gyr Albania, it's as if all the things Lyse learned while being in Othard are gone again and she acts once more like a spoiled child. I really felt we were watching another Cirilla from The Witcher series: Always thinks she's right, screams and rarely listens when others say: Don't do this please. In the end, I don't really like her and I hope they kind of push her aside in favor of other characters from now. 

- Hien - Urgh I like his personality but they made him look way too much like generic Asian dude mixed with Conan the Barbarian (heck some of the Steppes music takes a few notes from the original Conan the Barbarian soundtrack which took place in Hyrkania = Asian steppes)....but he's way too much Hanzo. 

- Gosetsu - I liked the gentle giant. What I didn't like is how they make him survive multiple rounds to the chest, blood spitting (Y'shtola style), an entire palace coming right down on top of him and we see him not having a single scratch in the ending cinematic. NO, we accepted his loss literally 20 or so hours before that cinematic! He should have just stayed dead! This is a case of resurrecting a character for no reason whatsoever.

- Yotsuyu - This has been a rollercoaster character for me. At first they gave little detail nor context to her behavior so I thought her to be a generic Star Wars kind of villain. Then they give you a tiny bit of context to her character by showing you a flashback to her childhood where it is detailed she was a second rate child to her mother. This I liked. However, they didn't really explore that angle much at all. It would have been great if we got a line of sidequests where we got more of these echo scenes. But we didn't. Instead, she got into complete crazy mode when literally her palace comes crumbling down around her...Persona 5 style. And she survives it, somehow. And I betcha she will become a major character in the future where she is also redeemed and gets a change of heart, Persona 5 style. I just hope they pull it off well because she did commit a ton of atrocities against her people. What would have been better in my opinion is that Gosetsu would have died and that it would actually have been Cirina who finds Yotsuyu and have showed her the wrongs of her ways. In the end, I think Yotsuyu will become somewhat of a Aranea Highwind character: Good looking, kick-ass at swordfighting (from Gosetsu) and morally grey. 

- Krile - A case of bad cause and effect. She's kidnapped by the Garleans, then used on experiments to change personal traits of the Garlean people in some sort of horrible Nazi-like experiment and she has shows absolutely no mental nor physical scars. In fact, she is but rescued several hours ago and she already wants to fight again. It's almost a little insulting to people who had to actually endure such atrocities in real life. 

- Nero - We see him barely at all during this expansion yet he does show up at the very end like some sort of Ignis from FFXV cosplayer. During the final parts of the Heavensward MSQ's we seem him cooking up some plan with a demonic laughter. Yet we don't see him at all during Stormblood. I had nearly forgot about the guy entirely. 

- Fistpalm Punch - This needs to become an emote. They WOL does it SO often it almost has become comical at this point. Big Grin 

So that was my rambling. Overall I loved the expansion and it had some really deep and nasty moments, but I do hope they learn to put in 'lasting impact' for the next couple of expansions because otherwise characters start to become literally unable to die which would kill all tension in the story for me.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Kallera - 06-25-2017

I overall liked the MSQ. Zenos was an interesting villain, and I felt like giving your main character input at what they are experiencing was a great move, and one i had been hoping for since 2.0.

Like so many, there were some things that didn't sit right with me. Lyse(and many others, but especiqlly Lyse)'s badgering on about "freedom and liberty" ended up sounding hollow, almost eye rolling, like if Zenos wasn't the nutball that he was, it would not have worked, or that the vice tightened on the provinces because of the resistance's actions(which I was ready to hear the dreaded t-word, but it never came up...)

I'd be surprised if we see Fodola again. She seemed like a relic of sane garlean governance, that ultimately couldn't play out under Zenos', who was more into his wacky safari than governance, and Fodola had no place in the new Ala Mihgo, but so as not to get the good guys' hands dirty they just made Fodola's hands dirty instead.

RE: [SPOILERS] Stormblood MSQ + Story - Cato - 06-25-2017

I actually liked Conrad much better than Lyse. It felt very forced for him to die and hand over the reigns of the Ala Mhigan Resistance to someone like her, though. I mean, there's M'naago for starters but surely an organisation that has existed for a decent chunk of time would have multiple individuals who have the qualifications to step up and lead in Conrad's place.

Lyse, by comparison, was only a member of the Resistance for a short while, she spent most of 4.0 away from Gyr Abania and most of her achievements involve riding off of the coattails of the Warrior of Light and the rest of his allies.

Still, I liked every other character. She's just the weakest link in an otherwise strong cast..but it does feel as though she's be shoehorned in as 'Minfilia 2.0'. They even look very similar.