Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ahoy and whatnot - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Ahoy and whatnot (/showthread.php?tid=19829)

Ahoy and whatnot - Thexare - 06-22-2017

Hi. I'm new here.

I'm not new to FFXIV or to roleplaying, though I am new to the combination thereof. I have a Dragoon on Zalera that's made it up to Heavensward, though I'm doing something different on Mateus as a trial run.

Generally my characters tend toward the morally light-grey - easy enough to persuade to good ends, but usually with an eye for self-interest.

I'm probably going to be rolling a Doman refugee, who had been forced to live off the land for a while and had picked up some skills from the experience. Will almost certainly be looking for work as a hunter, fisher, cook, or guard.

On the other hand, I kinda want to learn to tank or heal (I'm almost always DPS, largely out of fear of screwing things up for the team), and that's not really compatible with the concept - wilderness life is not kind to heavy armor, and doesn't offer the kind of environment conducive to magic studies.

Oh well. That's what crippling altitis is for.

I keep odd hours - my job is taking care of my grandfather, who is largely wheelchair-bound. So I only have uninterrupted time for MMOs while he's asleep. Unfortunately I expect this to mean I'll miss special events. So it goes.

RE: Ahoy and whatnot - Skullcrusher - 06-22-2017

(06-22-2017, 01:52 AM)Thexare Wrote: On the other hand, I kinda want to learn to tank or heal (I'm almost always DPS, largely out of fear of screwing things up for the team), and that's not really compatible with the concept - wilderness life is not kind to heavy armor, and doesn't offer the kind of environment conducive to magic studies.

Oh well. That's what crippling altitis is for.

I keep odd hours - my job is taking care of my grandfather, who is largely wheelchair-bound. So I only have uninterrupted time for MMOs while he's asleep. Unfortunately I expect this to mean I'll miss special events. So it goes.

1. You can play any class or job you like without it impacting your roleplay. It's up to you to choose if you want to incorporate that into your character's story or not. Your character can be as simple or complex as you decide and, since this is Final fantasy, your list of options is endless.

2. I think it's very honourable of you to take care of your grandfather. If you don't mind my asking, is that something you do full time? few people, outside of nursing, are so dedicated; much respect, man. Big Grin

Playing outside of high traffic hours can be frustrating, but by slowly growing your list of friends and frequenting those established roleplaying hotspots, you'll find people whose schedules align with yours. There's always casual spontaneous RP if that's more your style. The community on Mateus is burgeoning, so regardless you joined at a good time.

Feel free to add Akira Ikari. Smile

RE: Ahoy and whatnot - Thunderbolt300 - 06-22-2017

Hey there and welcome aboard to the RPC! Thumbsup

Best of luck over on Mateus!

RE: Ahoy and whatnot - Thexare - 06-22-2017

(06-22-2017, 07:29 AM)Skullcrusher Wrote: 1. You can play any class or job you like without it impacting your roleplay. It's up to you to choose if you want to incorporate that into your character's story or not. Your character can be as simple or complex as you decide and, since this is Final fantasy, your list of options is endless.

2. I think it's very honourable of you to take care of your grandfather. If you don't mind my asking, is that something you do full time? few people, outside of nursing, are so dedicated; much respect, man. Big Grin
1. For me, sticking as close as possible mechanically to the concept works better. It's useful as a silent reminder of the character's limitations.

2. Kind of yes, kind of no. It requires full-time availability, but he doesn't require constant help - his arms work a fair bit better than his legs, so a decent bit can be handled on his own or by my grandmother. This is why I'm usually able to sleep through the morning to begin with (and by extension, why this arrangement works at all; there's no way I could match their sleep schedule.)

RE: Ahoy and whatnot - SicketySix - 06-22-2017

Welcome to the forums!

Good on you for taking the responsibility of your grandfathers care. Though the circumstances are different, I understand your odd play hours and your unavailability for the events. I myself have a little 2yr old toddler who's taken it upon herself to dictate her own bedtime so most events are usually well half way over or ending by the time I manage to make myself available.

I understand your hours may fluctuate, but do you sort of have a base time that you are usually online? I tend to only be available from roughly 10pm - 1:00-2:00am EST. Are these hours close to your own?

RE: Ahoy and whatnot - Thexare - 06-22-2017

There is overlap - my open availability starts at about midnight, ending somewhere around 5-7 AM.

I'm online most of the time - not a lot else to do when I have to stay around the house - but uninterrupted, budgetable MMO time is what's limited.