Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] What it Means to be a Half Breed - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] What it Means to be a Half Breed (/showthread.php?tid=19824)

Pages: 1 2

What it Means to be a Half Breed - SapphireSkylines - 06-21-2017

Hey! So I saw a discussion on tumblr the other day about half breeds. It seems like most people think that they could exist so I have some questions. Is calling someone a half breed considered racist? and Are half breeds looked down upon in society? 

By half breed I mean something like a half elezen, half hyur or it could be something like a person who has a parent from Garlemald but another from Aldernard. What do you guys think?

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Gegenji - 06-21-2017

Do keep in mind there IS a half-breed of that very type in-game already (at least, in regards to what races are crossbreeding... not so much their nationality)! You may remember her from Ishgard... Wink

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - foxfirestorm - 06-21-2017

(06-21-2017, 10:21 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Do keep in mind there IS a half-breed of that very type in-game already (at least, in regards to what races are crossbreeding... not so much their nationality)! You may remember her from Ishgard... Wink

I have a half Elezen and half Pureblood character. A friend of mine has a half Elezen and half Au Ra-- There there is a Moon/Sun mix.

But like the other guy pointed out, Ishgard I believe has a few-- and a dude in the Scions is half Ala Mhigan and half Pureblood. Mixtures happen, its lore, and how they are treated is probably based on not only the society, but also the individual.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Rookie Judge - 06-21-2017

(06-21-2017, 09:39 AM)SapphireSkylines Wrote: Hey! So I saw a discussion on tumblr the other day about half breeds. It seems like most people think that they could exist so I have some questions. Is calling someone a half breed considered racist? and Are half breeds looked down upon in society? 

By half breed I mean something like a half elezen, half hyur or it could be something like a person who has a parent from Garlemald but another from Aldernard. What do you guys think?

Touching on your latter point, in universe, the Hyur/Elezen hybrid known as Hilda was looked down upon and discriminated against by the highborn of Ishgard. Ishgard being Ishgard, it's dificult to draw a conclusion of whether such discrimination is reflective in Eorzea as a whole. There's evidence to suggest that interracial couples are also discriminated against, the male Miqo'te and... I believe he was a Highlander male involved in Wanderer's Palace (Hard) were forced to leave their home due to their respective races (noteworthy in that they specify race and not homosexuality). These are, however, somewhat isolated cases, not indicative of a realmwide attitude. The lore team hasn't expanded further on such things in Eorzea, so far as I know, outside of those instances.

There are some unknown details in Arenvald's case that would serve to better understand if er... illegitimate children born of rape during foreign occupation face discrimination. For instance, I believe he says that he left his mother so that she'd stop being reminded of her trauma, but I don't believe we know what age he ended up leaving her. It could, in theory, be possible that his was a self-perceived stigma at most, since he was fairly grown, if implied to be young, by the time he ended up at the Waking Sands; the horror of learning the circumstances of one's birth through such a traumatic experience might conceivably drive a person to flee out of a sense of profound shame/guilt, after all. On the flip side, it's possible that he was thoroughly neglected or abused throughout his childhood, his mother seeing him as nothing but a reminder of his father. The only thing that's known for certain in his case is that he is ashamed of his Garlean heritage for whatever reason.

In short, in my opinion, there's insufficient data to conclusively determine whether there's a societal, realmwide oppression of "halfbreed" individuals.There might be, on some level, but there may also be not.

In regards to your former point, it depends entirely on the context of the conversation and intent of the speaker and indeed, that of the hearer as well. It could be used in a racially offensive manner, or it could simply be used as a way to denote heritage. Context and intent are key, something that folks on tumblr often seem to forget in their zeal to find offense in anything and everything. Arenvald referring to himself as a halfbreed isn't born of some racial hate. He's simply stating the fact that he is of mixed descent. There might have been nervousness in his tone, but given the organisation he was introducing himself to, it's understandable.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Maril - 06-21-2017

Hello. 

This question has been asked on the boards here many times before, and the lovely Souunsy has made a compliation which details more about half breeds and half breed children right here: 
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=17897&pid=275660#pid275660 

You have to scroll down a bit, or with CTRL+F make it highlight this "Interracial and Inter-clan Relationships and Children"

In the future I do recommend using the search feature here on the forums before creating a topic.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Virella - 06-21-2017

Show Content

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Haven's Fox - 06-27-2017

If anyone knows of or has the proper link to one of the old fanfest videos from 2014 there is a section on cross breeding. The link I have is dead since it was a re stream and twitch and well vods don't last long anymore.

It was a panel from Las Vegas 2014 if my bookmark is correct. It had bits about SCH fairies apart of the Elemental Realm, Crossbreeding, Life spans, Garlean stuff for 2.4, Lore repository, and Highlanders eyebrows shaved off for battle.

Though taking a glance at the videos labeled as such seems to turn up the wrong ones with my quick scrubbing through them.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Kage - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 10:56 AM)Haven Wrote: If anyone knows of or has the proper link to one of the old fanfest videos from 2014 there is a section on cross breeding. The link I have is dead since it was a re stream and twitch and well vods don't last long anymore.

It was a panel from Las Vegas 2014 if my bookmark is correct. It had bits about SCH fairies apart of the Elemental Realm, Crossbreeding, Life spans, Garlean stuff for 2.4, Lore repository, and Highlanders eyebrows shaved off for battle.

Though taking a glance at the videos labeled as such seems to turn up the wrong ones with my quick scrubbing through them.

The cross-racial Q&A happened during the 'purchase sub only' livestream only part not during the lore panel which means we're all mostly relying on people's transcripts. I think Sounsyy might have recorded the best one on that.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Lydia Lightfoot - 06-27-2017

It's very rare that a character's race is even relevant to the player's RP - most players hardly even reference their character's race or what meaning it might have, and thus their character may as well be literally any race. Worse, the majority of roleplayers pay little heed to the lore of their racial choice in favor of merely doing as they please (there's heaps upon heaps of miqo'te who totally don't have any kind of tribal connection and are completely monogamous, for example). 

The question to ask yourself is this: If my character is race X, to what extent is that even going to matter in the RP that's ahead? Think about the type of topics you like in RP, the "content" if you will. Will the racial choice even affect anything, aside from dictating the character's height range? If the answer is anything other than "It's going to be a major plot point for the character's entire run", then my advice is to avoid choosing a half-breed as your race. People will consider it to be a snowflakey detail, which can only be mitigated if it's a serious point of plot for the character over the entire time you play them. If it's just some background tidbit that doesn't ever come up, just play one race or the other and avoid people's OOC judgments.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Gegenji - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 11:31 AM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote: It's very rare that a character's race is even relevant to the player's RP - most players hardly even reference their character's race or what meaning it might have, and thus their character may as well be literally any race. Worse, the majority of roleplayers pay little heed to the lore of their racial choice in favor of merely doing as they please (there's heaps upon heaps of miqo'te who totally don't have any kind of tribal connection and are completely monogamous, for example). 

The question to ask yourself is this: If my character is race X, to what extent is that even going to matter in the RP that's ahead? Think about the type of topics you like in RP, the "content" if you will. Will the racial choice even affect anything, aside from dictating the character's height range? If the answer is anything other than "It's going to be a major plot point for the character's entire run", then my advice is to avoid choosing a half-breed as your race. People will consider it to be a snowflakey detail, which can only be mitigated if it's a serious point of plot for the character over the entire time you play them. If it's just some background tidbit that doesn't ever come up, just play one race or the other and avoid people's OOC judgments.

If it helps, there's actually a decently long-standing issue with Chachan's parents regarding the fact he's dating a non-Lalafell and, to a lesser extent, someone not of Doma. The latter isn't as big of a sticking point since his mother is from Ul'dah... but it's definitely been an interesting series of RP trying to "convince" the stubborn old smith to accept the relationship.

... It's also been a bit of work on my end since I'm the one RPing the entire family and their interactions. Quite rewarding, though, and makes for good story. And vaguely relevant to the topic at hand because, if they have kids... they'll be Lalaqo'te or whatever the term for them is. Laugh

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Crystal Chronicler - 06-29-2017

What is a "Pureblood" that I see people mentioning? Is it a Garlean thing?

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Riggy - 06-30-2017

(06-29-2017, 04:38 PM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote: What is a "Pureblood" that I see people mentioning? Is it a Garlean thing?

Yes. Purebloods are the Garleans with a third "eye" on their forehead (which presumably works like a Tuatara's third "eye"), and an inability to use magic naturally.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Virella - 06-30-2017

(06-29-2017, 04:38 PM)Crystal Chronicler Wrote: What is a "Pureblood" that I see people mentioning? Is it a Garlean thing?
Yeah, Garleans have a huge thing for racial purity going on. They are very limited in numbers as well. But they see themselves above everything else due to what they are.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - SicketySix - 06-30-2017

(06-30-2017, 08:22 AM)Virella Wrote:
Yeah, Garleans have a huge thing for racial purity going on. They are very limited in numbers as well. But they see themselves above everything else due to what they are.
Always struck me as funny how they cannot cast magic like most of the other races but somehow view themselves as better than everyone else.

RE: What it Means to be a Half Breed - Virella - 06-30-2017

(06-30-2017, 08:25 AM)SicketySix Wrote:
(06-30-2017, 08:22 AM)Virella Wrote:
Always struck me as funny how they cannot cast magic like most of the other races but somehow view themselves as better than everyone else.
They overcame that 'issue' with technology, so that's why. They used to be kicked around for it, until they got as advanced as they were. They got a reason to be proud not to be bullied. But alas, they took it a tiny itsy bitsy too far.