Hydaelyn Role-Players
Howdy - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Howdy (/showthread.php?tid=1965)

Pages: 1 2

Howdy - Caysen - 05-15-2013

Hey there. I'm fairly new to XIV, I played a little while it was up but my laptop can't really run it well and I was still waiting for a PS3 version. I've been keeping up with ARR updates, and now with the release getting closer I figured I should start reading up on lore and everything and getting a character set up so I can get into RP straight off the draw.

And these things:
--MMORPG background
Runescape. Yep. (I was 14.) Got me started on MMOs, played for several years.
After that I played Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst, and later Phantasy Star Universe. Played PSU for several years.
I played FFXI on and off for a while too.
Started Guild Wars 2 at launch. After a while I got bored with it and stopped playing full time. Now I just get on every month for the new story updates.

--RP experience
I used to do forum RPs many years ago. I tried to get into in-game RP in GW2, but it seemed like RPers only ever sat it bars and talked. It was boring, so I never got that much into it. Beer is great and tavern RPs can be fun now and then, but I'm looking for something more interesting in RP.

--Character ideas/info
I'm debating between staying my usual Human route and keeping my Midlander, and switching it up a bit and going Seeker Mi'qote male. Maybe a half-breed? What's the RP community's stance on mixed race characters?

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?
Light to medium mostly. I enjoy all parts of MMOs.

RE: Howdy - Xenedra - 05-15-2013

Allo and welcome! SE has confirmed that there are half breeds possible in Eorzea so you probably won't come across anyone that's going to have an issue with them. Have at! : )

RE: Howdy - Uther - 05-15-2013

Make a Miqo'te and say he's a mixed race between a Lalafell, a Roegadyn, and a stray cat. Throw the entire community a curveball.

Just kidding (no I'm not). Welcome to the RPC! We're a friendly bunch overall, so feel free to ask questions if you have them. I'm sure myself, or someone more experienced, will answer them promptly. 

If you're stumped on where you want to go with your character, I suggest checking out the wiki page and skimming through other player characters to see what you like and dislike for some inspiration.

RE: Howdy - Kassandra Dawn - 05-15-2013

i keep reading Abodo's name as Adobo...which is a seasoning for chicken and now i'm hungry. ;_;

(05-15-2013, 05:58 AM)Kassandra Dawn Wrote: i keep reading Abodo's name as Adobo...which is a seasoning for chicken and now i'm hungry. ;_;

Mission Accomplished.

RE: Howdy - Luka Paluka - 05-15-2013

Welcome to the forums!

If you have any extra questions, feel free to shoot me a PM! I'm more than happy to help where I can.

With regards to half-breeds I vaguely remember some talk about them a while back but I can't remember if there's an official source stating if they're possible or not.

Honestly I would suggest going with the race you find most appealing to both play the game and roleplay with, since if they become your main you'll want to enjoy the race! Both Hyur and Miqo'te have some interesting concepts/features, so it might be worth taking a look at the wiki and the Lore section under the official forums!

Enjoy your stay! Big Grin

RE: Howdy - Weffrey - 05-15-2013

Welcome! Moogle Welcome!

RE: Howdy - Aysun - 05-15-2013

The official stance I believe is that while half-breeds happen, they are rare due to cultural differences between the different races. Judging by the fact that we've never seen a Lalafell with cat ears or a Hyur with slitted pupils in game, one can assume that they take the race of either parent, not a mix of both, when it does happen. At least, that's how I see it for now. xD

Anyway, welcome. Smile I'm all for more Hyurs personally, there's just not enough of them~ Play what you'll enjoy!

(05-15-2013, 07:28 AM)Aysun Wrote: I'm all for more Hyurs personally, there's just not enough of them~ 

^ This. I think it's weird how low the Hyur population is and how high the Miqo'te population is. Elezen is right where it should be, Lalafell and Roegadyn are a bit low, but that's understandable. People aren't usually big fans of the extremes in most games. 

[Image: 24602024.jpg]

Play what you want of course, but I couldn't help throw in my observation. I won't shun anyone for playing an admittedly cool looking race, obviously. I just think the population ratio is off.

The way I always saw the population was

Hyur - 30%
Elezen - 25%
Lalafell - 20%
Roegadyn - 15%
Miqo'te - 10%

or something to that effect.

RE: Howdy - Magellan - 05-15-2013

Especially in an RP context 'human' races I think tend to be seen as boring. Or, perhaps more challenging; human races are often described as having a lack of cultural traits from whence the rper can draw from - they are very much the everyman (or woman), and require a lot more work on the players part to figure out what makes them interesting, whereas other races have interesting traits that are inherent.

Or maybe that's just why I avoid humans xD.
At any rate, I think I will roll a Hyur this time, because the general lack of human interest makes them more... interesting.

RE: Howdy - AeroCura - 05-15-2013

Who cares how much of what race there are? Just be w/e YOU wanna be IMO. even if every single other char was Miqo'te I would still be one cause I WANT to.

Just play what's fun to you and have a great time! welcome! Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Howdy - Aysun - 05-15-2013

(05-15-2013, 07:56 AM)Magellan Wrote: At any rate, I think I will roll a Hyur this time, because the general lack of human interest makes them more... interesting.

This is why I'm jelly of the Hyurs! XD

(05-15-2013, 09:10 AM)AeroCura Wrote: Who cares how much of what race there are? Just be w/e YOU wanna be IMO. even if every single other char was Miqo'te I would still be one cause I WANT to.

Yeah, I can't say I disagree with that. No one should be told what to play and everyone should be able to play what they want without someone getting on their case about it. I'm not saying "Don't play Miqo'te. There are too many." I'm just commenting on how strange I think it is that the population balance in-game is so different from the population balance in the lore.

RE: Howdy - Caysen - 05-15-2013

(05-15-2013, 07:56 AM)Magellan Wrote: Especially in an RP context 'human' races I think tend to be seen as boring. Or, perhaps more challenging; human races are often described as having a lack of cultural traits from whence the rper can draw from - they are very much the everyman (or woman), and require a lot more work on the players part to figure out what makes them interesting, whereas other races have interesting traits that are inherent.
Interesting, in the GW2 community it's the opposite. The other races have very deep cultures but they're just so different physically/visually that they seemed to became kind of inaccessible to RPers, so most RPed with humans.

But it sounds like there's a good number of non-Hyurs here. Should be much more interesting.

RE: Howdy - Xenedra - 05-15-2013

Census!
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1778