Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Some Mateus Observations - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Some Mateus Observations (/showthread.php?tid=19623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Desu Nee - 06-08-2017

Here's a simple fact. For a people that already dislikes RP, it's not only their server. They want them to not be *anywhere*. Not even in Balmung you escape the vocal community, it's simply drowned because the server is really big and it basically embraced every steriotype that other servers threw on them, because they would anyway.

The people that dislike them don't hate them for a reason, but an excuse. They aren't bothered by your existence, and I would bet a sum of them are crafters that realized new players = new competition for their overblown prices.

The Mateus community will definetly face some opposition, and that's a fact, but if the efforts to nurture the community there are genuine, then they will survive, because unless the entirety of the server comes in naked and spams ring of thorns on any open rp, or any FC that nurtures RP, then it's not about what they bloody want; Cactuar pushed a lot of rpers, but because they were vocal enough about the dislike that it ended even on Official Forums.

tl;dr = People be hating yo, I would go to check the server if I had patience to level alts.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Okonoko - 06-08-2017

By no means am I saying people should not try, like I said I am enjoying my time on the server despite the haters, still does not change the fact that being a small server you might run into haters more often then some are comfortable with. 

I am just trying to be transparent, that while the RP community friendly the general vibe of the server outside of a few that view this as a boon to the economy are not really all that friendly. I for one am okay with that, but we cannot ignore that for some the risk of dealing with that kind of drama simply is not worth it.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Papajimboh - 06-08-2017

(06-08-2017, 11:05 AM)Desu Nee Wrote: and I would bet a sum of them are crafters that realized new players = new competition for their overblown prices.

That's a fair point too. 

I think a lot of people also just get this stereotype in their head about what something is, and they refuse to believe anything different. When in reality, most RPers I know enjoy it because they're creative, and it presents an outlet for that creativity. They enjoy writing and the friendship it brings. 

If anything, it's the RP haters who are one dimensional.

I do disagree that ignoring them isn't the best option. Feeding a troll keeps it alive. If you starve them, they will move along. When they don't get a reaction, and they realize their tantrum isn't resulting in mommy putting a binky in their mouth, they will get tired of it.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Okonoko - 06-08-2017

You personally can ignore a troll all you want, but end of the day not everyone is willing or capable of ignoring negative impact on ones enjoyment, and may ruin ones perception of the server, thus hampering growth. 
Was just offering my two cents.

Yeah just stating that obstacles will naturally come, and that's unavoidable.

One can simply hope for the best, as a community, roleplayers are used to be ostracized.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Berrod Armstrong - 06-09-2017

I made an alt to go meet new peeps and RP and stuff and it's been cool. Dodging all the hulabaloo and having a ton of fun.

*Mod edit: Cleaning happened. Have a nice day!

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Caspar - 06-09-2017

(06-08-2017, 11:05 AM)Desu Nee Wrote: Here's a simple fact. For a people that already dislikes RP, it's not only their server. They want them to not be *anywhere*. Not even in Balmung you escape the vocal community, it's simply drowned because the server is really big and it basically embraced every steriotype that other servers threw on them, because they would anyway.

The people that dislike them don't hate them for a reason, but an excuse. They aren't bothered by your existence, and I would bet a sum of them are crafters that realized new players = new competition for their overblown prices.

The Mateus community will definetly face some opposition, and that's a fact, but if the efforts to nurture the community there are genuine, then they will survive, because unless the entirety of the server comes in naked and spams ring of thorns on any open rp, or any FC that nurtures RP, then it's not about what they bloody want; Cactuar pushed a lot of rpers, but because they were vocal enough about the dislike that it ended even on Official Forums.
In my experience PVE players generally don't care if you RP. They are more concerned with raiding. The only possible time they have to waste harassing nerdier nerds is when there's very little to occupy them. Like right now. I highly doubt it will last.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Desu Nee - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 10:28 AM)Caspar Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 11:05 AM)Desu Nee Wrote: Here's a simple fact. For a people that already dislikes RP, it's not only their server. They want them to not be *anywhere*. Not even in Balmung you escape the vocal community, it's simply drowned because the server is really big and it basically embraced every steriotype that other servers threw on them, because they would anyway.

In my experience PVE players generally don't care if you RP. They are more concerned with raiding. The only possible time they have to waste harassing nerdier nerds is when there's very little to occupy them. Like right now. I highly doubt it will last.
I want to raid.

but EST times screw me over :c

RE: Some Mateus Observations - IvikBlack - 06-09-2017

Disclaimer: This thread is long and I don't have the time to read all of it. I skimmed it, and I intend to remark on the general sentiments briefly.

1) Mateus vs. Balmung attitudes

I won't deny these exist, but they are not common. I have seen complaining about Balmung in a few forms. Some have left the server feeling like they weren't welcome there. Others are Mateus natives that resent the 'invasion' of their territory. Neither attitude deserves attention or validation. Square-Enix owns the servers and Balmung folks should be happy that embittered players are moving on and becoming someone else's problem. Mateus is not a threat to Balmung.

2) Mateus' odds of survival

If you're worried, make an alt, help. I have an FC you can land in that's friendly to Balmung players (PM me if interested), and there are many others who are running similar endeavors. If you're not worried and just want to speculate, by all means speculate away, but that seems like a waste of time to me. Doing is all that matters. If enough people contribute, Mateus will succeed.

The rest just seems like a waste of time to re-litigate. I think people are being too defensive of their communities all around. A few people on a distant server saying bad things about you isn't going to hurt you. There are much larger things in life to worry about.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Melkire - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 03:07 PM)IvikBlack Wrote: 1) Mateus vs. Balmung attitudes

I won't deny these exist, but they are not common. I have seen complaining about Balmung in a few forms. Some have left the server feeling like they weren't welcome there. Others are Mateus natives that resent the 'invasion' of their territory. Neither attitude deserves attention or validation. Square-Enix owns the servers and Balmung folks should be happy that embittered players are moving on and becoming someone else's problem. Mateus is not a threat to Balmung.

While I do applaud your post, there's some bias here that I want to point out. Your last bolded sentence should have gone as follows:

Mateus is not a threat to Balmung, and Balmung is not a threat to Mateus.

It's the feedback loop that's so dangerous and toxic to cooperative efforts and peaceful coexistence. Defensive Mateus natives and quick-to-take-offense Balmung natives (I freely admit to occasionally landing in the latter category) feed into each other if they're not careful to step back when discussion stops being civil.