Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Some Mateus Observations - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Some Mateus Observations (/showthread.php?tid=19623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Sylentmana - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 01:05 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 01:00 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 11:13 AM)Zhavi Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 10:52 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: Balmung is like Ul'dah: you need to pay money to get in and connections to flourish.

Mateus is like the refugee camps that surround Ul'dah: it's full of those who can't pay to get in, don't have the connections to flourish, those who are looked down on by the native population, and a small minority of genuine human garbage.

Man, I think people forget that Balmung has its share of genuine human garbage, too. It's like families. Every family has one of those people. Same with communities. No matter where you go, you won't be able to escape them.

Acting like Mateus is the only place where there's pushback is kinda ignoring the basic tenets of people being people. I mean like, what, a week or two before Balmung shut down wasn't there more tumblr vs RPC drama? (lol who am I kidding, that was every week) It's there, it happens. As other people said, the best way to fight it is just to ignore it and find people to be happy with.

Because this is a hobby. It's not worth negative emotions.

That only makes it even more like Ul'dah with its established families, individuals, and groups acting in a manner that is toxic to the overall environment.

The funny thing about most settings is that they're based off of people. You could rip pretty much any setting and say 'look, this looks like our community in this or that way!' because people are people and ...yeah.

Yes, but this one is especially relevant because it matches the game we are playing. In a way, I'm kind of saying, "Hey, look at this similarity we all share with this game world we love!" If this was World of Warcraft, I might have drawn the allusion from that instead, but its not, so I didn't.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - foxfirestorm - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 01:14 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 01:05 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 01:00 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 11:13 AM)Zhavi Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 10:52 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: Balmung is like Ul'dah: you need to pay money to get in and connections to flourish.

Mateus is like the refugee camps that surround Ul'dah: it's full of those who can't pay to get in, don't have the connections to flourish, those who are looked down on by the native population, and a small minority of genuine human garbage.

Man, I think people forget that Balmung has its share of genuine human garbage, too.  It's like families.  Every family has one of those people.  Same with communities.  No matter where you go, you won't be able to escape them.

Acting like Mateus is the only place where there's pushback is kinda ignoring the basic tenets of people being people.  I mean like, what, a week or two before Balmung shut down wasn't there more tumblr vs RPC drama?  (lol who am I kidding, that was every week)  It's there, it happens.  As other people said, the best way to fight it is just to ignore it and find people to be happy with.

Because this is a hobby.  It's not worth negative emotions.

That only makes it even more like Ul'dah with its established families, individuals, and groups acting in a manner that is toxic to the overall environment.

The funny thing about most settings is that they're based off of people.  You could rip pretty much any setting and say 'look, this looks like our community in this or that way!' because people are people and ...yeah.

Yes, but this one is especially relevant because it matches the game we are playing. In a way, I'm kind of saying, "Hey, look at this similarity we all share with this game world we love!" If this was World of Warcraft, I might have drawn the allusion from that instead, but its not, so I didn't.

I wouldn't say we are a refugee camp, as many folks who join up are actually individuals who WANT to help out, and we have gained people also from other servers as well who desire to assist with Mateus growth.

The refugee camp doesn't get anywhere, so really comparing it to that is-- misleading. If anything most those here are here, because they are new and looking for a home.

Those that are from Balmung are looking to assist while hoping between the two servers. Others are here cause they want a new home and then there are the other server folks looking to help (like some balmung players), and yes, a few looking for a new home there as well.

If anything, I see ourselves more like Revenant's Toll in Mor Dhona.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Sig - 06-06-2017

A few observations:

(1) It is unfortunate (and very childish and stupid) to impute negative characteristics on an entire server of people.  Making derogatory comments about people on an entire server is analogous to insulting the people of the entire continent of North America.  It makes zero sense because the people are incredibly diverse and different.  The maturity of RPers who insult entire servers of people is sad, and they likely suffer from poor social skills.

(2) I have to tip my hat off to the 5-10 vocal and organized Maetus RPers who seized the moment and advertised their server, generating a land-slide like effect.  I have explained many times why fragmenting the RP population on multiple servers is harmful for all parties (it increases stagnation, promotes homogeneous RP, harms RP diversity, etc).  I still think that a second unofficial RP server designation is harmful for all parties, but it's good to see that people are acting against xenophobia on the server.

(3) RP should be consolidated on one server, and it doesn't matter where that server is located. We must keep in mind that the efforts to designate a second unofficial RP server are ultimately colored by self-interest by those who deliberately chose not to RP with the greater community on Balmung. Instead of taking action that would help all (i.e. - working to persuade SE to designate an official RP server or lift the transfer restrictions), some would simply use the current state to increase the size of their alternative RP communities, despite that it ultimately fragments RP. Ultimately, these issues will likely be rendered moot when SE lifts the restrictions (and the super majority of RPers gravitate towards the central RP hub they value) or an official RP server is designated to mitigate Balmung's population problem (the only thing that could get a large chunk of the population to transfer).

(4) Servers are dumb artificial barriers that do little more than divide people.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Ririla Rila - 06-06-2017

I think a second RP server would be awesome! and I'd love to help out bringing it to life!

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Papajimboh - 06-06-2017

(06-06-2017, 09:40 AM)Sig Wrote: A few observations:

(1) It is unfortunate (and very childish and stupid) to impute negative characteristics on an entire server of people.  Making derogatory comments about people on an entire server is analogous to insulting the people of the entire continent of North America.  It makes zero sense because the people are incredibly diverse and different.  The maturity of RPers who insult entire servers of people is sad, and they likely suffer from poor social skills.

(2) I have to tip my hat off to the 5-10 vocal and organized Maetus RPers who seized the moment and advertised their server, generating a land-slide like effect.  I have explained many times why fragmenting the RP population on multiple servers is harmful for all parties (it increases stagnation, promotes homogeneous RP, harms RP diversity, etc).  I still think that a second unofficial RP server designation is harmful for all parties, but it's good to see that people are acting against xenophobia on the server.  

(3) RP should be consolidated on one server, and it doesn't matter where that server is located.  We must keep in mind that the efforts to designate a second unofficial RP server are ultimately colored by self-interest by those who deliberately chose not to RP with the greater community on Balmung.  Instead of taking action that would help all (i.e. - working to persuade SE to designate an official RP server or lift the transfer restrictions), some would simply use the current state to increase the size of their alternative RP communities, despite that it ultimately fragments RP.   Ultimately, these issues will likely be rendered moot when SE lifts the restrictions (and the super majority of RPers gravitate towards the central RP hub they value) or an official RP server is designated to mitigate Balmung's population problem (the only thing that could get a large chunk of the population to transfer).

(4) Servers are dumb artificial barriers that do little more than divide people.

Out of curiosity, have they ever mentioned adding an AFK timeout like many games have? Seems like the queue on Balmung would evaporate instantly if they booted some of the tons of people who literally never log out, but just afk until they want to play again.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - ArmachiA - 06-06-2017

^ They do it every time an expansion comes out for the first few months. It actually doesn't help as much as you would think it does.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Blythe - 06-06-2017

(06-06-2017, 09:40 AM)Sig Wrote: A few observations:

(3) RP should be consolidated on one server, and it doesn't matter where that server is located.  We must keep in mind that the efforts to designate a second unofficial RP server are ultimately colored by self-interest by those who deliberately chose not to RP with the greater community on Balmung.  Instead of taking action that would help all (i.e. - working to persuade SE to designate an official RP server or lift the transfer restrictions), some would simply use the current state to increase the size of their alternative RP communities, despite that it ultimately fragments RP.   Ultimately, these issues will likely be rendered moot when SE lifts the restrictions (and the super majority of RPers gravitate towards the central RP hub they value) or an official RP server is designated to mitigate Balmung's population problem (the only thing that could get a large chunk of the population to transfer).

While I can agree statement 1 and a little bit to statement 4 (I have my qualms about mega servers, but that's for another topic), you middle two points have me curious. 

Let's start of with statement 2. Sure, you may think that fragmenting RP by going to different servers is a bad thing. Sure, Mateus is dealing with the issue of a lot of people coming to their server at once. Will this fragment RP in the long run to be quite honest? No, no it won't. Plus, with the second server growing, it's better some issues are out of the way now and dealt with instead of later. 

Now on to statement 3, uh have you seen what happened with the Make it Rain Event? We crashed the server. Plus, with how many people we have, I honestly doubt it will do anything to fragment RP in anyway. We have a lot of people (way more than the server can handle). Unless you want to know every single one of the thousands of roleplayers on, I'm pretty sure RP won't be fragmented... at all.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Kage - 06-06-2017

(06-06-2017, 11:42 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: ^ They do it every time an expansion comes out for the first few months. It actually doesn't help as much as you would think it does.
This is mostly because everyone knows of at least one way to bypass the 'timer auto-kick'

RE: Some Mateus Observations - ArmachiA - 06-06-2017

(06-06-2017, 12:15 PM)Kage Wrote:
(06-06-2017, 11:42 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: ^ They do it every time an expansion comes out for the first few months. It actually doesn't help as much as you would think it does.
This is mostly because everyone knows of at least one way to bypass the 'timer auto-kick'

True. One of my guildies linked to be a programs that basically "jiggles" your mouse so a game always thinks you're online. If you don't wanna get booted, you'll find ways XD

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Papajimboh - 06-06-2017

(06-06-2017, 12:46 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:

True. One of my guildies linked to be a programs that basically "jiggles" your mouse so a game always thinks you're online. If you don't wanna get booted, you'll find ways XD

Which is kind of what confuses me. People like to stay on to avoid the queue, but if everyone would stop staying on, then there wouldn't be a queue. lol At least not nearly as often. And even now when I log on in the evening, I MIGHT have a 30 second to 1 minute wait. 

No issue in the day to day, but I could see it causing issues during busy times like a launch. 

Anyway, sorry this was a bit off topic, just kind of popped up in response to the other post.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Jana - 06-06-2017

(06-06-2017, 12:46 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:

I actually did this a lot on accident during HW's launch by falling asleep with my laptop mouse on the bed...

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Mercer - 06-07-2017

We got ourselves a new Lucky Bancho census post today, just in time for Stormblood. Overall, the game has seen an increase of 21,000 active players since March! By this census info, we're getting close to hitting 600,000k active characters again!

Of note: The census this time has a focus on population growth and decline since the server locks were put into place.

Cactuar has the fastest growing NA server community having gained 980 new characters since March. This is a concern for Cactuar since they has put them over the 12,000 active population hump. Notable NA realms also in that range: Behemoth, Hyperion and Bahamut(locked).

Mateus is the second fastest growing NA server community at 4,423 active characters. They have gained 727 new characters since March, or about 16% of it's entire population. It is no longer the smallest server in the game, wooo! Just the smallest server in the NA/EU regions.

Mateus also saw much higher growth than similar small servers in the NA region. Compared to Goblin, Mateus grew by twice as many characters. And compared to Zalera Mateus grew by three times! Goblin and Zalera remain larger than Mateus however.

Faerie is also doing particularly well, hitting 11,513 characters after gaining 556 new active characters. They are approaching that 12,000 active character hump so it'll be interesting how the server does as we hit SB release and beyond.

Balmung on the other hand is shrinking, so the lock out is working. So far, Balmung has lost 507 active players, bringing their active character count to 25,925. Still by far the largest server in the game yet Gilgamesh lost more characters at 702 in the same time frame.

What do we get from this? That the server lockout is working in that smaller servers are getting more attention while larger servers are slowly bleeding players. The server bleed will likely become much more noticeable once server transfers are activated. Also, Mateus' server growth is far higher than servers in a similar situation likely due to the attention it's gotten as the alternative RP server.

Edit: Important note about this data, characters under level 36 are not counted for this census. This means that small alts and the like to check out Mateus are not counted. What we're seeing is actual server growth.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Okonoko - 06-08-2017

Over the last week I have spent some time on Mateus, and while the RP community that is present is helpful and friendly granted mostly because they are trying to foster a community so such behavior is to be expected and not indicative of the future state of the server and the community. nevertheless I enjoyed my time on the server.
I am must confess I have not read every post proceeding my own, so I am not sure if this point has been brought up. Mateus's vocal non RP community clearly does not want RP'ers on the server, overall it seems a large portion of players on the server have a negative connotation when it comes to RP. That is something the RP community on Mateus may never be able to fix, and may make all the efforts on the server for naught. Just my 2 cents. Forgive me for my spelling and grammar.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Papajimboh - 06-08-2017

(06-08-2017, 10:07 AM)Okonoko Wrote: Mateus's vocal non RP community clearly does not want RP'ers on the server, overall it seems a large portion of players on the server have a negative connotation when it comes to RP. That is something the RP community on Mateus may never be able to fix

Unfortunately for them, what they want doesn't really matter. People are going to do what they do.

You don't have to fix that, just ignore it. I played WoW on Wyrmrest Accord from the year the server opened until last year, and it had the same issue even though it's labeled an RP server. You will always have RP haters. 

Really, in everything in life you have people who don't like it, so they don't think anyone else should enjoy it either. They are just sad, sad little people, and should be pitied.

I remember a coworker who hated baseball because he thought it was boring, and any time I was having a conversation with someone else about a game, he had to pipe up about how stupid baseball is. 

Those people exist, and always will. Just enjoy the good people within the community and brush those people off.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Okonoko - 06-08-2017

(06-08-2017, 10:44 AM)Papajimboh Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 10:07 AM)Okonoko Wrote: Mateus's vocal non RP community clearly does not want RP'ers on the server, overall it seems a large portion of players on the server have a negative connotation when it comes to RP. That is something the RP community on Mateus may never be able to fix

Unfortunately for them, what they want doesn't really matter. People are going to do what they do.

You don't have to fix that, just ignore it. I played WoW on Wyrmrest Accord from the year the server opened until last year, and it had the same issue even though it's labeled an RP server. You will always have RP haters. 

Really, in everything in life you have people who don't like it, so they don't think anyone else should enjoy it either. They are just sad, sad little people, and should be pitied.

I remember a coworker who hated baseball because he thought it was boring, and any time I was having a conversation with someone else about a game, he had to pipe up about how stupid baseball is. 

Those people exist, and always will. Just enjoy the good people within the community and brush those people off.

Yes those people exist, but I do not agree with the notion that as a community we should simply ignore it. Word of mouth holds some value one poor encounter an RP'er has with a none RP'er may cause said RP'er to either give up or tell friends to stay away from the server. 

Once I a community is fostered sure you can ignore such people, but when it comes to fostering a community ignoring such behavior might prove to be risky. Overall I get where you are coming from just figured that people should know that their is a vocal bunch on the server that do not like RP'ers so if that bothers you may want to try one of the other smaller communities.