Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Some Mateus Observations - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Some Mateus Observations (/showthread.php?tid=19623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Mercer - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 09:04 AM)Eses Fafa Wrote: I really hope it does change for the better. I hope people find what they're looking for and that there won't be a negative backlash to either communities. I certainly hope the voices of the hateful within Mateus are drowned out by the progressive and something good comes of this. I just won't be surprised if it comes tumbling down. I'll make myself an alt on there and bear and grin through the leveling process so I can see what's what myself.

Well, if you're joining up make sure to join with the RPM to be connected with a growing, supportive community.

Roleplay Mateus

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Kage - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 08:11 AM)Erah Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 06:44 AM)Eses Fafa Wrote: That's so weird...and very out of nowhere! If any were to take such a role, it'd be Siren, wouldn't it?

There was a big push by a few people early based on polls that existed for less then 48 hours after the lock down announcement.  And a lot of shouting at other opinions that amounted to "if you're not with us, you shouldn't say anything."  

There are a lot of other communities that exist out there on somewhat more populated servers where an influx won't cause near as much disruption as it would on Mataes.
Basically, in the early discussions just after the Server Restrictions on Character Creation and Transfers was announced, there was a big noticeable push on this forum that spread to the Official Forums and somewhat to reddit. I never saw anyone spread anything on Tumblr about Mateus as the vocal group was focused here.

There's a couple reasons why it may seem like an oversight but it's basically the right time and the visibility. It's a historical fact that there are plenty of people who have minor/major/whatever grievances towards Balmung and/or ffxiv-roleplayers.com. People from the small communities/servers felt drowned out by Balmung posts etc and never dug the heels in or didn't care to (happy with the smaller communities etc). So if people didn't make a push to see the problem that was rearing its ugly head... well opportunity knocked and Mateus answered the door.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Kylin - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 06:44 AM)Eses Fafa Wrote: That's so weird...and very out of nowhere! If any were to take such a role, it'd be Siren, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure why people assume Siren is a good choice. I've been there, and it's a wasteland for RP. During the debates, not one person tried to sell it. I gave it a sole scathing review and not one native from there attempted to rebuke it at any point. They have an OOC linkshell, yes. They have a website, yes. But only like 5 people or so actually RP there from my experience. Every event is from the same 2-3 people. Their discord chat is dead (I'm still in it now and chatter is practically non-existent aside from a random hello, then another hello like two days later...). It was most definitely not the better choice. Also, all of their houses were sold when I was there. Their general non-RP population is a bit larger. There's no guarantee they'll get the server transfer benefit.

Edit: In general, Siren doesn't seem to have the passion to grow any larger RP-wise than it already is...

[Image: tumblr_oqzs94XdrH1qhf2lso1_1280.png]
Adamantoise - 5500
Balmung - 18500
Cactuar - 8750
Coeurl - 4500
Faerie - 8000
Gilgamesh - 15000
Goblin - 3500
Jenova - 6500
Mateus - 2500
Midgardsomr - 6000
Sargatanas - 8500
Siren - 5000
Zalera - 3500
(Rough estimates etc)

Most likely candidates for 'designated' server to get bonuses are: Goblin, Mateus, and Zalera.
Siren is not too likely. Sargatanas for sure will not get it. Jenova may not either cause it's close to that 7k = highly congested.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - ArmachiA - 06-05-2017

Cactuar is full. I couldn't even imagine trying to shove RPers on that server, it's almost at 9k.

(06-05-2017, 10:50 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: Cactuar is full. I couldn't even imagine trying to shove RPers on that server, it's almost at 9k.
To be honest, I only know of one person who was actually advocating for it and the FFXIV subreddit had a pretty bad backlash against them for it.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Sylentmana - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 10:49 AM)Kage Wrote: [Image: tumblr_oqzs94XdrH1qhf2lso1_1280.png]
Adamantoise - 5500
Balmung - 18500
Cactuar - 8750
Coeurl - 4500
Faerie - 8000
Gilgamesh - 15000
Goblin - 3500
Jenova - 6500
Mateus - 2500
Midgardsomr - 6000
Sargatanas - 8500
Siren - 5000
Zalera - 3500
(Rough estimates etc)

Most likely candidates for 'designated' server to get bonuses are: Goblin, Mateus, and Zalera.
Siren is not too likely. Sargatanas for sure will not get it. Jenova may not either cause it's close to that 7k = highly congested.

I have a few characters on Siren and I see a small group of RPs on a regular basis. I haven't approached any yet, but I see them doing their thing in random places on the server.

(06-05-2017, 10:57 AM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 10:49 AM)Kage Wrote: [Image: tumblr_oqzs94XdrH1qhf2lso1_1280.png]
Adamantoise - 5500
Balmung - 18500
Cactuar - 8750
Coeurl - 4500
Faerie - 8000
Gilgamesh - 15000
Goblin - 3500
Jenova - 6500
Mateus - 2500
Midgardsomr - 6000
Sargatanas - 8500
Siren - 5000
Zalera - 3500
(Rough estimates etc)

I have a few characters on Siren and I see a small group of RPs on a regular basis. I haven't approached any yet, but I see them doing their thing in random places on the server.
Whether or not there is roleplaying going on doesn't change how Square Enix seems to be deciding on the transfers and restrictions. EU Data Center is getting new worlds because all of them are considered highly congested (most likely 7k).

A world with MORE than that is not going to get free transfers with bonus.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Zhavi - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 10:52 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: Balmung is like Ul'dah: you need to pay money to get in and connections to flourish.

Mateus is like the refugee camps that surround Ul'dah: it's full of those who can't pay to get in, don't have the connections to flourish, those who are looked down on by the native population, and a small minority of genuine human garbage.

Man, I think people forget that Balmung has its share of genuine human garbage, too. It's like families. Every family has one of those people. Same with communities. No matter where you go, you won't be able to escape them.

Acting like Mateus is the only place where there's pushback is kinda ignoring the basic tenets of people being people. I mean like, what, a week or two before Balmung shut down wasn't there more tumblr vs RPC drama? (lol who am I kidding, that was every week) It's there, it happens. As other people said, the best way to fight it is just to ignore it and find people to be happy with.

Because this is a hobby. It's not worth negative emotions.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Erah'sae - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 10:53 AM)Kage Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 10:50 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: Cactuar is full. I couldn't even imagine trying to shove RPers on that server, it's almost at 9k.
To be honest, I only know of one person who was actually advocating for it and the FFXIV subreddit had a pretty bad backlash against them for it.

To be fair, most RP related stuff that hits the the main reddit gets a lot of backlash.  If it's the one guy I'm thinking of, who posted tried pushing it on reddit a year or so ago, well, he tried to match scorn with scorn and that escalation never goes well.

The Mateus post was interesting.  It dipped hard into the negatives when it came out, then someone gilded it and it swung back to positive.  Most of it was the OP's persistence, infectious enthusiasm, and he was constantly positive despite the hate he initially got.

Cactaur was my home server for a good while.  It had a decent but casual / quiet RP community while I was still there a year or so ago.  There were probably around 200-400 characters split across three linkshells, and a bunch of PVE folks that would dabble during hunts / etc.   It's not closed, but it's not empty either.  I still have a character there, but the SO and a bunch of RL friends play on Balmung, so... it is what it is.

It's a larger server, yes, but it's one of those questions.  Do you want your PvE structure / support there already, or do you want to build it more or less from scratch?  A gathering / crafting economy that's busier or less busy.  There are good arguments to either answer on any of these and it's really up to the reader to determine what they're looking for.

It certainly won't get the bonuses for leveling on a low pop server though.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - ArmachiA - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 11:13 AM)Zhavi Wrote: I mean like, what, a week or two before Balmung shut down wasn't there more tumblr vs RPC drama? (lol who am I kidding, that was every week)

Every week? I think you mean everyday.

(06-05-2017, 11:35 AM)Erahsae Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 10:53 AM)Kage Wrote:

To be fair, most RP related stuff that hits the the main reddit gets a lot of backlash.  If it's the one guy I'm thinking of, who posted tried pushing it on reddit a year or so ago, well, he tried to match scorn with scorn and that escalation never goes well.

The Mateus post was interesting.  It dipped hard into the negatives when it came out, then someone gilded it and it swung back to positive.  Most of it was the OP's persistence, infectious enthusiasm, and he was constantly positive despite the hate he initially got.

Cactaur was my home server for a good while.  It had a decent but casual / quiet RP community while I was still there a year or so ago.  There were probably around 200-400 characters split across three linkshells, and a bunch of PVE folks that would dabble during hunts / etc.   It's not closed, but it's not empty either.  I still have a character there, but the SO and a bunch of RL friends play on Balmung, so... it is what it is.

It's a larger server, yes, but it's one of those questions.  Do you want your PvE structure / support there already, or do you want to build it more or less from scratch?  A gathering / crafting economy that's busier or less busy.  There are good arguments to either answer on any of these and it's really up to the reader to determine what they're looking for.

It certainly won't get the bonuses for leveling on a low pop server though.

It's not about what kind of server you want and mostly about if you added like... 500 more people Cactuar is probably gonna get locked down. Not really a good candidate.

(06-05-2017, 11:35 AM)Erah Wrote: To be fair, most RP related stuff that hits the the main reddit gets a lot of backlash.  If it's the one guy I'm thinking of, who posted tried pushing it on reddit a year or so ago, well, he tried to match scorn with scorn and that escalation never goes well.

This is true. This thread for Cactuar was made the first week that we got news of Balmung and Gilgamesh being closed. OP had made a subsequent thread addressing the meta of how bad the reaction was. That got an interesting turn around but the thread for RPers to join Cactuar was derided so much that he eventually decided to just delete the... account? in the end.

I wasn't around for the Cactuar thread but the end result was a lot of blowback to the OP and just generally to RP in general.

(06-05-2017, 12:23 PM)ArmachiA Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 11:13 AM)Zhavi Wrote: I mean like, what, a week or two before Balmung shut down wasn't there more tumblr vs RPC drama? (lol who am I kidding, that was every week)

Every week? I think you mean everyday.

Man, I always miss the good stuff.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Sylentmana - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 11:13 AM)Zhavi Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 10:52 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: Balmung is like Ul'dah: you need to pay money to get in and connections to flourish.

Mateus is like the refugee camps that surround Ul'dah: it's full of those who can't pay to get in, don't have the connections to flourish, those who are looked down on by the native population, and a small minority of genuine human garbage.

Man, I think people forget that Balmung has its share of genuine human garbage, too. It's like families. Every family has one of those people. Same with communities. No matter where you go, you won't be able to escape them.

Acting like Mateus is the only place where there's pushback is kinda ignoring the basic tenets of people being people. I mean like, what, a week or two before Balmung shut down wasn't there more tumblr vs RPC drama? (lol who am I kidding, that was every week) It's there, it happens. As other people said, the best way to fight it is just to ignore it and find people to be happy with.

That only makes it even more like Ul'dah with its established families, individuals, and groups acting in a manner that is toxic to the overall environment.

(06-05-2017, 01:00 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 11:13 AM)Zhavi Wrote:

That only makes it even more like Ul'dah with its established families, individuals, and groups acting in a manner that is toxic to the overall environment.

The funny thing about most settings is that they're based off of people. You could rip pretty much any setting and say 'look, this looks like our community in this or that way!' because people are people and ...yeah.