Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Some Mateus Observations - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Some Mateus Observations (/showthread.php?tid=19623)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Balmung: Mateus's Wicked Origin - Luna Sona - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 03:11 PM)Virella Wrote: Luna, you're exactly the issue what the OP is talking about. I'm not sure if you're willing to see this, or just completely and utterly ignorant to the fact what you're doing. You're just creating unnecessary hostility.
I'm not quite sure how. I'm not on either of the Discords and I haven't talked about Balmung or Mateus badly. I was just saying that yes, I see OP's point and I understand that it can feel uncomfortable to not feel welcome. However the original post does come across as hostile itself, although perhaps that's just me. I didn't say anything like, "Oh get off Mateus," or "Your opinion sucks". I just didn't think the OP came across how it intended to.

RE: Balmung: Mateus's Wicked Origin - Momo - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 02:51 PM)Luna Sona Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:44 PM)Momo Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:27 PM)Luna Sona Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:21 PM)Momo Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:13 PM)Luna Sona Wrote: I think everyone else has said anything that needs to be said, but you do seem a bit biased and dramatic. "Wicked origin" is quite melodramatic. You also said you haven't quit the server or anything dramatic, but in the original post say you haven't logged on to the server in weeks. I do understand it sucks to feel ostracized but the way you wrote this post seems a tad extra.

I haven't logged in, or made much of an effort to, in part because I would have needed that fire I lost to do so during a pre-expansion push to get things done on my main on Balmung. After the expansion is in full swing, I may have more down time to go back to it, but that also hasn't stopped me from getting word from people who are still there and receiving this kind of treatment.

Also: I'm an RPer, there are few things even in real life that don't sound melodramatic when they come out. It isn't intentionally extra, in the words of Nina Bonina zos Galvus Brown: "Sue me".

I'm not sure being a RPer has anything to do with it, seems more like a personality thing, but okay. If you want honest, productive discussion titles like that seem click-baity and hostile.

Are you feeling attack because you think what I said may be true? I am not ruining the community on Mateus, I am making sure it is clear that there is a problem and it can't just be ignored and hope it goes away type of attitude. You don't know me, and you likely haven't met me or my characters before, so your judgement of my character isn't all that important to me, and you may be a nice RPer and person which I would be happy to believe if you claimed. I can be dramatic to get people to click on something, but if you read the actual content, it is no more than that, a dramatic title.
I'm not really feeling attacked. I have no ties or personal feelings towards Mateus or Balmung. I never said you're ruining the community on Mateus so I'm not sure where that's coming from. No, I don't know you, that's correct. I've seen your posts in here and the other thread about keeping RP only on Balmung and you don't seem terribly interested in fostering a community on Mateus. I read the actual content, that's why I referenced you saying you hadn't logged onto the server in weeks. How you wrote the original post doesn't exactly come across as, "Let's help other people feel welcome on Mateus."

I just thinking having a weird title such as "Wicked Origin" is a little silly, and I don't think it has anything to do with being a RPer. It just catches people's attention.

Then go back and read my very first post in the keeping RP on Balmung thread please. I am interested in fostering a community, but I don't have as much time or effort at the moment, and when faced with discouraging things right from the very start, that makes it even harder. Being that like me, many do not have a lot of time for multiple characters due to real life, this kind of sudden onset of distaste for community members who may have not even said a word, and literally the hour, day, or week they joined, can damage for a long period if they felt the fall in inspiration I felt. If you have something else to add besides questioning my character as a person, please do post further, otherwise thank you and I won't be replying further to you specifically if it's on this topic of me rather than the issue.

RE: Balmung: Mateus's Wicked Origin - Luna Sona - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 03:18 PM)Momo Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:51 PM)Luna Sona Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:44 PM)Momo Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:27 PM)Luna Sona Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:21 PM)Momo Wrote: I haven't logged in, or made much of an effort to, in part because I would have needed that fire I lost to do so during a pre-expansion push to get things done on my main on Balmung. After the expansion is in full swing, I may have more down time to go back to it, but that also hasn't stopped me from getting word from people who are still there and receiving this kind of treatment.

Also: I'm an RPer, there are few things even in real life that don't sound melodramatic when they come out. It isn't intentionally extra, in the words of Nina Bonina zos Galvus Brown: "Sue me".

I'm not sure being a RPer has anything to do with it, seems more like a personality thing, but okay. If you want honest, productive discussion titles like that seem click-baity and hostile.

Are you feeling attack because you think what I said may be true? I am not ruining the community on Mateus, I am making sure it is clear that there is a problem and it can't just be ignored and hope it goes away type of attitude. You don't know me, and you likely haven't met me or my characters before, so your judgement of my character isn't all that important to me, and you may be a nice RPer and person which I would be happy to believe if you claimed. I can be dramatic to get people to click on something, but if you read the actual content, it is no more than that, a dramatic title.
I'm not really feeling attacked. I have no ties or personal feelings towards Mateus or Balmung. I never said you're ruining the community on Mateus so I'm not sure where that's coming from. No, I don't know you, that's correct. I've seen your posts in here and the other thread about keeping RP only on Balmung and you don't seem terribly interested in fostering a community on Mateus. I read the actual content, that's why I referenced you saying you hadn't logged onto the server in weeks. How you wrote the original post doesn't exactly come across as, "Let's help other people feel welcome on Mateus."

I just thinking having a weird title such as "Wicked Origin" is a little silly, and I don't think it has anything to do with being a RPer. It just catches people's attention.

Then go back and read my very first post in the keeping RP on Balmung thread please. I am interested in fostering a community, but I don't have as much time or effort at the moment, and when faced with discouraging things right from the very start, that makes it even harder. Being that like me, many do not have a lot of time for multiple characters due to real life, this kind of sudden onset of distaste for community members who may have not even said a word, and literally the hour, day, or week they joined, can damage for a long period if they felt the fall in inspiration I felt. If you have something else to add besides questioning my character as a person, please do post further, otherwise thank you and I won't be replying further to you specifically if it's on this topic of me rather than the issue.
I'm sorry if you thought I was questioning your character as a person, that wasn't what I was intending to do. I don't think it's your sole job to foster a RP community or anything, that's super unfair to suggest. Not having a lot of time and joining a server only to feel unwelcome and unliked would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth, I definitely agree. I don't think it's okay or fair for people on Mateus to say Balmung players are rude, or mean, or annoying, or anything else. I think both groups of people should work together on making RP fun and inclusive for people. My original comment in this was to say that the Original Post paired with the title didn't seem like it fostered great discussion. I'm sorry if I came across as hostile or mean to you, that's not what I meant. 

Sorry about mentioning the consolidating Balmung thing, I mistook you for someone else.

Just wanted to reiterate that I apologize for coming across as rude.

RE: Balmung: Mateus's Wicked Origin - Mercer - 06-04-2017

I've not spoken about my personal experiences on Mateus yet because I like to be as neutral as possible when it comes to the server polls.

But I'll make an exception here. Yes, there has been some bias in the Mateus Hub specifically against Balmung players. I have not seen the same kind of bias in the Mateus RP-C discord and linkshell. I have met some wonderful, great people on the server so far and it's gotten my stamp of approval, for all that's worth.

But as always, there are going to be bad parts of every community. And again, this is a very rapid change on both sides of the issue. Mateus has been the home for some for a long time. We are coming into their world, and some don't want us. That's alright too, they aren't obligated to hang out or RP with us just like we aren't obligated to do the same to them.

The vast majority of people I have met have been excellent to each other and if you are locked out of Balmung or looking for a new place I implore you to give the server a shot. Let the RP-C linkshell know you're interested, they have been growing so rapidly. More Free Companies and Linkshells are popping up. Daily events by a wide array of Free Companies and linkshells are popping up.

Mateus has grown so much and so well over the last month. Give the server a shot. You'll be happy you did.

RE: Balmung: Mateus's Wicked Origin - Papajimboh - 06-04-2017

I tend to ignore people like that entirely anyway, so it's a positive thing if they don't want to RP with me. If someone makes assumptions on a person's worthiness to be liked and included based on which server they clicked to play on in a video game, then I want no part of them. That goes for both sides. 

Those people are probably terrible RPers anyway if they can't open their mind and are so quick to place judgement on people based solely one knowing one thing about them. Would you want to get involved in a story with someone like that?

There will be great people and turds on any server and in any game. I've played enough MMOs and been around enough people IRL to know this attitude is a human one, not a gamer or RPer one. 

If you care about building the community, then work towards that. The trash will eventually take itself out.

RE: Balmung: Mateus's Wicked Origin - QalliFlower - 06-04-2017

Server choice tribalism is one of the sillier things I've seen.  The best way to counter it is to not opt in.  Have as much prosocial fun as you can, bond with individual people as you will, and if server history comes up it's somehow more a point of trivia than a central defining fact.

It's harder than it sounds, especially for people who spent a long time on one particular server and made a lot of great memories there, but the fact is that these things stay with you regardless of where you go.  No cranky stranger can devalue it.

RE: Balmung: Mateus's Wicked Origin - Nodem - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 04:48 PM)Sheldeaux Wrote: Server choice tribalism is one of the sillier things I've seen.  The best way to counter it is to not opt in.  Have as much prosocial fun as you can, bond with individual people as you will, and if server history comes up it's somehow more a point of trivia than a central defining fact.

It's harder than it sounds, especially for people who spent a long time on one particular server and made a lot of great memories there, but the fact is that these things stay with you regardless of where you go.  No cranky stranger can devalue it.

I'm not from Aether Data-center originally. I guess I'm hated by all tribes now. D:

But being serious. That is true, just as much as title this as "Mateus' Wicked Origins" is a straight up attack on Mateus server as a whole. Mateus' RP group were there before Balmung's doors were closed. So no, this is not their "ORIGIN" as you wish to write it.

RE: Balmung: Mateus's Wicked Origin - foxfirestorm - 06-04-2017

And yeah, there is two groups. There is the Mateus HUB which is a collection of people, then there is the RPM (formerly RPC, but we changed that to end some confusion, oops!! Blush )

I operate the RPM, which i just made a statement today, very clearly on the LS and on the Discord channel that any server bashing of any kind will not be tolerated, which will get someone a temp ban to a perm ban.

It is something i take very seriously and so does my moderation staff. A few are Mateus people, but a few of us also on staff are from Besaid/Balmung and I am always observing folks to also look for more help there, because things are rough right now, but I have faith it will level out.

I will probably be adding up a rule tomorrow (or later this evening when I am not so tired), enforcing this beyond just a post. As I said earlier and I will keep saying. There should be no "us vs them" mentality. People should be able to enjoy themselves without that and we have enough segregation issues in real life to not have it in a video game as well.

And yes, some of us got caught with our pants down at how fast things happened and we are, yes, playing catch up. One moderator just had a baby, another one is dealing with life problems, another has kids to handle, and I have a handicapped mother who is fall-prone. We are trying and hopefully, one day, we will all look back on this and have a good laugh as a community of rpers, instead of seeing a separation.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Momo - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 05:41 PM)foxfirestorm Wrote: And yeah, there is two groups. There is the Mateus HUB which is a collection of people, then there is the RPM (formerly RPC, but we changed that to end some confusion, oops!! Blush )

I operate the RPM, which i just made a statement today, very clearly on the LS and on the Discord channel that any server bashing of any kind will not be tolerated, which will get someone a temp ban to a perm ban.

It is something i take very seriously and so does my moderation staff. A few are Mateus people, but a few of us also on staff are from Besaid/Balmung and I am always observing folks to also look for more help there, because things are rough right now, but I have faith it will level out.

I will probably be adding up a rule tomorrow (or later this evening when I am not so tired), enforcing this beyond just a post. As I said earlier and I will keep saying. There should be no "us vs them" mentality. People should be able to enjoy themselves without that and we have enough segregation issues in real life to not have it in a video game as well.

And yes, some of us got caught with our pants down at how fast things happened and we are, yes, playing catch up. One moderator just had a baby, another one is dealing with life problems, another has kids to handle, and I have a handicapped mother who is fall-prone. We are trying and hopefully, one day, we will all look back on this and have a good laugh as a community of rpers, instead of seeing a separation.

Thank you for that response, because all this "it will just go away" is not going to be the case from my experience. On Balmung, and on RPC, these sorts of things have never just "gone away" after 5 years or more, and I think a sprouting community, especially at the rate that Mateus is growing daily, it's better to be proactive than reactive.

This wasn't an attack on you at all, this was an experience and a feeling that I thought should be shared in case there are others who have felt it and could address those concerns as well as reassure people from those who I believe make up the majority of the community on Mateus, that all RPers are truly welcome and there is so much room to grow.I had planned on taking another stab at it, and likely will soon, and will do so with the thought that I am welcome at the forefront of my mind.

(Note: The thread title has been changed by the mods and not by myself. If you didn't understand the title or felt it was attacking you, then you were just as welcome to move on and not come in to read it. If you didn't understand the title then I question why you bothered to come read it anyway, as sarcasm and irony is probably lost on you, part of the soul of creativity in my opinion, and if you felt it was attacking you, then I ask you to question yourself on why that is, but still move on. Your justice warrior spirit would be better spent elsewhere on the site, with actual trolls, they aren't too hard to spot as they tend to post predominantly in the Void, and when they do spill out, it is only with vitriol and not with any standing point that could be defended with reason more than contrary nature.)

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Ellmida - 06-04-2017

I tend to agree with everyone that the title of this thread may be a bit of an issue as it tends to invite hostility rather than open discussion, I doubt that was the original intent but it is certainly not helping to foster a civilized conversation on what anyone can see is a very real problem. ((citation: Title has since been changed)

I don't deny that there is some genuine hating on Balmung going on which could have been brought on by a small number of people who left Balmung after not feeling welcome and then amplified it to others who could not get into Balmung and found this narrative easy to digest as further vindication that they were not simply on Mateus because their first choice was blocked. It's easy to hate on the popular kid and though this is a flimsy phrasing of the real problem I think its important to accept that there is some small truth to it before we can move on. Speaking from someone who actually wants Mateus to stand on its own and become another great RP server it worries me hearing that there is any negativity or hate on other servers and those who are passing this around, those who are seeing this being passed around..seriously, please stop. We are in this together, Roleplayers already have it hard enough against casual gamers and griefers we don't really need to make enemies of our brothers.

Also coming out of left field, This : http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=19379

I don't know if everyone has seen this, but it is right up there in announcements. I hope the plans are still in motion because I think it is something we need and what I truly want to see. I don't like the idea of us splintering off too much or isolating ourselves too much into separate communities especially now and I think this RPC has done a lot to try and address that, even making improvements. No single rp server is going to be the same and giving new players a 'shopping zone' in the future(when Balmung and Gilgamesh eventually open up) for something that fits them might go a long way to forming a more cohesive community. We may not all be on the same server but at least we are all on the 'same page' *insert pun beating here*

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-04-2017

Staff were in talk with Momo about the title. Let's all just agree to place nice about what it is now.

(06-04-2017, 06:26 PM)Ellmida Wrote: Also coming out of left field, This : http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=19379

I don't know if everyone has seen this, but it is right up there in announcements. I hope the plans are still in motion because I think it is something we need and what I truly want to see. I don't like the idea of us splintering off too much or isolating ourselves too much into separate communities especially now and I think this RPC has done a lot to try and address that, even making improvements. No single rp server is going to be the same and giving new players a 'shopping zone' in the future(when Balmung and Gilgamesh eventually open up) for something that fits them might go a long way to forming a more cohesive community. We may not all be on the same server but at least we are all on the 'same page' *insert pun beating here*

[sticks on the staff hat for a moment]

Those changes are still planned! We're still waiting for IPS 4.2 because it has some features we really want, like "clubs" and better integration. I plan to then get us the Advanced tags and Prefixes plugin and maybe the Discord plugin because that's a trendy thing right now.

Tags and prefixes should make not-Balmung stuff a LOT easier to track. (And we apprently get filtering, but I have to figure that out).

Normally, I'd do the wiki upgrades right away, but not stated in that announcement is we'll also be adjusting some server hosting. Depending on if we're rebuilding our server image or if we copy the existing one, there's some backend software that needs to be updated before we can proceed. And then a LOT of converting. Before we do any of that though, there will be more announcements on when a "RPC Final Save" will happen, which will be the data we carry over. Most of the forums here will then go read-only as we get the new stuff ready. (We'll keep discussion things open until the new site's live, then the MyBB instance will be purely read-only so any data that didn't get converted is still accessible).

Lots of lifting planned!

[removes staff hat]

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Jeanne IX - 06-04-2017

I was online (but not involved) when the RPM linkshell was having a heated discussion about this earlier today, and as he says foxfirestorm quickly put an end to it, as was right of him to do. Though I haven't seen any of that talk aside from today, but I'm not on either Discord server so I can't comment on those.

That said I don't think it's entirely unwarranted for some of the people who were on Mateus from the start to be put off by the influx of players and sudden changes happening to their server. I'm not saying to just let bashing another server go or anything, but do look at it from their perspective: a small tight-knight community, which may have been the reason they chose Mateus in the first place, has suddenly grown so much in the last few weeks. I mean I definitely don't like change, so I can imagine how they feel. Not that it excuses being an ass.

It's still a new situation Mateus is going through, there's going to be growing pains. Now those growing pains will need to be actively handled (which they are!) and not just "Oh we'll sit back and let it work itself out", but we all knew, or should've known, that they were coming.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Erah'sae - 06-05-2017

Hey foxfirestorm, speaking of the Mateus discord and what not.  Can you make sure it's not either of the official discord groups that occasionally invites the Balmung RP Event Bot, spams balmung hate at it and then kicks it?  The server name has Mateus RP Hub in it, but I don't know if it's yours or someone spoofing it for giggles.

I'm going to probably start blacklisting the internal discord user and server ID's soon and turning over the internal logs to Discord's abuse line, so the problem will solve itself.  But on the off chance things really take off, and I turn it into a multi-server bot, I'd hate to see these... users... cause problems for everyone else.

Edit: Just for clarifications: the bot's internal logs store everything by discord's internal ID's (which is how the bot sees the servers anyway, not hte names). There's no way for people to actually successfully spoof anything or get anyone else in trouble with this.

RE: Some Mateus Observations - foxfirestorm - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 12:37 AM)Erah Wrote: Hey foxfirestorm, speaking of the Mateus discord and what not.  Can you make sure it's not either of the official discord groups that occasionally invites the Balmung RP Event Bot, spams balmung hate at it and then kicks it?  The server name has Mateus RP Hub in it, but I don't know if it's yours or someone spoofing it for giggles.

I'm going to probably start blacklisting the internal discord user and server ID's soon and turning over the internal logs to Discord's abuse line, so the problem will solve itself.  But on the off chance things really take off, and I turn it into a multi-server bot, I'd hate to see these... users... cause problems for everyone else.

Edit: Just for clarifications: the bot's internal logs store everything by discord's internal ID's (which is how the bot sees the servers anyway, not hte names).  There's no way for people to actually successfully spoof anything or get anyone else in trouble with this.

To be honest I have 0 clue how bots work. The one installed on the RPM was setup by Rhys (one of my mods) but it does simple greets, I know on her HUB she has two bots one that does greets and the other that allows for people to connect their characters to some commands.

If you can track down where this is coming from or PM me instructions on how to check, I can look into it myself. I have also further thoughts on this, but I'll keep those to private, but please, PM instructions and I'll look into it if I can.

That said, I have 0 control or lead on the HUB, I only have control of the RPM and even then... I am probably going to be stepping down sometime in July. Been at this for nearly a year... Kinda tired. XD

RE: Some Mateus Observations - Eses Fafa - 06-05-2017

I suppose this is coming at a point already way too late and I'm sure I missed this somewhere but..why Mateus? The place is already an inhospitable den of toxicity that people usually want to leave. What made people want to try and make it a new RP server?