Hydaelyn Role-Players
White Mages in Othard? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: White Mages in Othard? (/showthread.php?tid=19619)

Pages: 1 2

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Lydia Lightfoot - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 03:43 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I've seen people do an amazing job with story justifying how it happened. Personally, I prefer stories that happen thru rp.

I stopped caring about what other people outside of my rp groups think about my character or my rp several years ago.

Exactly!

OP, make no mistake, regardless of justification and story a character who is claimed to be a White Mage ICly will definitely be a snowflake... but that isn't inherently bad nor is it something for you to feel upset about. I'd argue that majority of our most celebrated literary and cinematic heroes are snowflakes! Hardly any of them are just everyday people with ordinary capabilities who somehow lead us on a compelling tale - or the ones who are, usually they're in a sidekick role rather than the main hero of the story.

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Virella - 06-04-2017

Exactly what people said above! There's ways to make it work.

Look at my own character. She's a part of a cult who got slaughtered in the past. How did I make it work? Well lore did tell us that there were more Fist of Rhalgr temples, so I made her an older woman, who grew up in one of these remote temples. That way she could still be believable on the skillset and knowledge she has. It wouldn't work with a younger character, given most Fist of Rhalgr were killed and no one really knows what's going on with them.

Sometimes you just got to tweak and adjust your character a little bit to make it work. I mean, hell, you could always go "Oh my character is a conjurer and SUPER interested in White Magic" and make her a scholarly type who's trying to uncover more about that type of magic? Not that she will have access to it, but you can still play with the white mage concept to some degree! Chasing a concept can be very interesting as well. She doesn't have to be one, but she can still dream of becoming one!

RE: White Mages in Othard? - LiadansWhisper - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 01:04 PM)Virella Wrote: Sometimes you just got to tweak and adjust your character a little bit to make it work. I mean, hell, you could always go "Oh my character is a conjurer and SUPER interested in White Magic" and make her a scholarly type who's trying to uncover more about that type of magic? Not that she will have access to it, but you can still play with the white mage concept to some degree! Chasing a concept can be very interesting as well. She doesn't have to be one, but she can still dream of becoming one!

I was actually talking about this to someone last night. Even having access to White Magic doesn't mean you'd have any skill in it. I honestly imagine that the abilities of the Padjal pale in comparison with the heights that Amdapor reached with the art. There's probably an immense amount of knowledge that's simply been buried or lost.

This is also, to an extent, why I favor gaining knowledge/access to the really restricted Jobs via in-game RP. These are heights to be aspired to - something to work toward. I feel like it would be less of an experience if you show up already knowing how everything works.

I digress.