Hydaelyn Role-Players
White Mages in Othard? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: White Mages in Othard? (/showthread.php?tid=19619)

Pages: 1 2

White Mages in Othard? - Averis - 06-03-2017

Show Content

Nevermind... Apparently I'm just trying to be a special snowflake.

Staff note: Please do not blank posts in discussion forums, as per our posting rules and guidelines.

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Virella - 06-03-2017

Wait a couple of more weeks, and who knows they might give us more lore on Othard and the classes/jobs to be found there!

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Kilieit - 06-03-2017

Unconfirmed, but really probably not. White magic as a discipline originated in the Twelveswood for a reason, and we've not heard of any similar environments in Othard.

Like, if you can wait literally 2 weeks, we'll know for sure - but I really wouldn't get your hopes up.

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-03-2017

If such abilities existed in Othard, they likely wouldn't be referred to as White Magic/Succor as that specifically refers to the magic style that flourished in Amdapor before the War of Magi, later to be practiced only by Padjal and then the Warrior of Light.

But if we take the stories 2.0 and 3.0 have presented us, it does certainly look like White Magic could become more accessible later in the future. 2.0 taught us that the Padjals could teach an outsider. 3.0 taught us that they were willing to leave the Black Shroud. Perhaps 4.0 will further expand this?

--

I also find it important to note that many of the iconic Final Fantasy jobs have their own restrictions, even if some are much easier to get past than others. Is it simply the title of "White Mage" that you're looking for or their actual role in a story? The latter is quite accessible without the label.

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Kismet - 06-04-2017

(06-03-2017, 06:15 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: I also find it important to note that many of the iconic Final Fantasy jobs have their own restrictions, even if some are much easier to get past than others. Is it simply the title of "White Mage" that you're looking for or their actual role in a story? The latter is quite accessible without the label.

^ This.

I continue to find it hard to understand why people get so hung up on specific titles when with just a little imagination and putting some creative flair on your emotes, you can accomplish much of the same style/aesthetic and similar abilities. This is a large part of the reason I scrapped the character concept I used to roll with that was a White Mage. Because once I devoured all of the lore and mechanics about the job... I didn't see what would it offer me in terms of RP other than highlighting myself as a special snowflake.

While simply being a Conjurer, you're still a healer. You can still save people's lives. You can still use big, bright, sparkly magic. It's not really that big of a deal if you don't specifically have access to Holy or Benediction or w/e. And nothing's stopping you from RPing that your Conjurer can use an ability that rejuvenates their allies and damages the enemy at the same time (something similar in nature to Assize). Just, y'know... don't refer to it specifically by name and you're probably good.

RE: White Mages in Othard? - LiadansWhisper - 06-04-2017

(06-03-2017, 06:06 PM)Averis Wrote: So, I know that no one in Eorzea can RP as a White Mage due to the War of the Magi and the WoL snowflake+Padjal, but what about Othard?

This isn't really accurate. A more accurate statement would be that it's very, very hard, if not impossible, to come into the knowledge of Succor without being directly trained by a Padjal, as they are currently the only known repositories of the knowledge.

Quote:Are there White Mages in Othard? Maybe some traveled there in the past? Are they controlled by a similar group as the Padjal?

Probably not. If anything, it's far more likely that we might run into an old-style White Mage in Ala Mhigo, given that we know that refugees from Amdapor fled into the land that later became Ala Mhigo.

Quote:I've always been kinda miffed that I can't really RP as a White Mage, so I'm sort of wondering if this new land would offer a work-around.

Actually, you absolutely can RP as a White Mage, if you so desire. You just have to come up with a believable story as to why the Padjal would have trained your character in the art, or how you gained access to the knowledge outside of Padjal training. That's it.

You just have to make it believable. You just have to sell, as it were, the story really, really well.

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Lydia Lightfoot - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 02:34 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Actually, you absolutely can RP as a White Mage, if you so desire.  You just have to come up with a believable story as to why the Padjal would have trained your character in the art, or how you gained access to the knowledge outside of Padjal training.  That's it.

You just have to make it believable.  You just have to sell, as it were, the story really, really well.

...and also accept that you'll be labeled, regardless of the story's factual plausibility, as a total snowflake. But if one can live with people thinking that (and that's really just a question of one's sensitivity as an individual), then any job in the lore is accessible even without a story behind it (the age old "How did you learn White Magic?" "None of your business." comes to mind).

RE: White Mages in Othard? - V'aleera - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 02:02 AM)Kismet Wrote: I continue to find it hard to understand why people get so hung up on specific titles

To be fair, Final Fantasy as a series has made it a point to be hung up on titles.

RE: White Mages in Othard? - LiadansWhisper - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 02:47 AM)Lydia Lightfoot Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 02:34 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Actually, you absolutely can RP as a White Mage, if you so desire.  You just have to come up with a believable story as to why the Padjal would have trained your character in the art, or how you gained access to the knowledge outside of Padjal training.  That's it.

You just have to make it believable.  You just have to sell, as it were, the story really, really well.

...and also accept that you'll be labeled, regardless of the story's factual plausibility, as a total snowflake. But if one can live with people thinking that (and that's really just a question of one's sensitivity as an individual), then any job in the lore is accessible even without a story behind it (the age old "How did you learn White Magic?" "None of your business." comes to mind).

I've seen people do an amazing job with story justifying how it happened. Personally, I prefer stories that happen thru rp.

I stopped caring about what other people outside of my rp groups think about my character or my rp several years ago.

RE: Nevermind - Edda - 06-04-2017

(06-03-2017, 06:06 PM)Averis Wrote: Nevermind... Apparently I'm just trying to be a special snowflake.

Don't be like that OP.

Some people will say you are but who cares? There are just as many people who wouldn't bat an eye. You do you.

RE: Nevermind - LiadansWhisper - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 04:02 AM)Edda Wrote:
(06-03-2017, 06:06 PM)Averis Wrote: Nevermind... Apparently I'm just trying to be a special snowflake.

Don't be like that OP.

Some people will say you are but who cares? There are just as many people who wouldn't bat an eye. You do you.

^^

Op you have to grow thicker skin. Ultimately, who cares what people on the internet think anyway?

RE: Nevermind - Kismet - 06-04-2017

OP... At the end of the day, no matter what you decide to do? Write it well.

Do that and the people who actually matter to you and are worth caring about? They won't be too concerned with the specifics. I ensure you that's what the majority of folks here encourage.

RE: Nevermind - Arashin Kujqai - 06-04-2017

^ as many posts have already said. By the end of the day, are you having fun? Do you enjoy writing your character? Do you like what's happening with it all and feel proud of your character's story? Then go for it, some people are stricter about it, some aren't, but neither matter so long as you're enjoying yourself.

Personal belief of mine that I follow is, if you're not okay with RP'ing with my character as he is.... Chances are you're not someone I want to RP with.

I've gone through 3 personas (this being my third) for RP. My first being a bit of a wreck in a similar situation as this. I ended up not liking it, not because of the lore behind dragoons making it difficult, but I didn't like his story I wrote and I felt a lil silly in the personality/traits I ended up choosing. I realized I wasn't enjoying how it felt because I was narrowing my sight on it and the title I wanted. Then I ended up fixing my char up to be a treasure hunter, new personality, different traits. I could've kept him a dragoon or if I wanted to, lancer, but I liked machinist at the time and I happened to like the idea of having a gun to go raiding aquapolis in with the Steel Blue firearm that was a relic of Ishgardian war.

Now look at me, I'm a red mage/magic philosopher before the class is even out.... Obviously I'm not gonna step out of bounds and make claims when I don't have lore/knowledge of the class yet, but I'm certainly not gonna associate myself in RP with someone who's gonna be a stickler and pester me about titles. At the same time, I wrote my char to be comfortable around the concept of being one even without the knowledge we'll have in less than 2 weeks. I'm pretty damn proud of it too and have only have had fun times in RP... so I'm pretty happy with everyone I've RP'd with so far and myself in the end.

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-04-2017

(06-03-2017, 06:06 PM)Averis Wrote:
Show Content

Nevermind... Apparently I'm just trying to be a special snowflake.

Staff note: Please do not blank posts in discussion forums, as per our posting rules and guidelines.

Please note the difference between the Lore Discussion forum and the Character Workshop forum. While they may share significant overlap, they are moderated differently. I've reverted your post-blanking because the question itself is still valid and lore-related. For specifically your character, a thread should be made in Character Workshop. Lore Discussion forum threads are for exactly that.

--

Staff-things aside, people already beat me to what I was going to say. Just RP the concept if that's what you want to do. You can't appease everyone and trying to do so all the time just makes RP more of a job than a past time. Sure, some people might avoid you if you want to be an unconventional White Mage within FFXIV's lore, but I mean, they might just avoid you because they're not into that RP anyways. Or maybe they will be interested and your story, writing, and/or justification will be something you can use in RP. I'd suggest to think it over and figure out what kind of story you're trying to make with other people. What major difference does it make to call your character a healer, a hearer, a conjurer, or a mage that is somehow different than calling your character a White Mage, which refers to a very particular thing in this game?

RE: White Mages in Othard? - Kilieit - 06-04-2017

Although my post was blunt, I don't think it was harsh - you asked for lore, and I told you honestly what there was(n't) and my opinion on what was likely to come next fortnight.

If the question wasn't, "will there be Othardian white mages", and was instead "I really like [insert specific aspect(s) of WHM concept here] but I know WHMs are limited in the lore, what can I do to still include it in my RP", then my post would have been different.

OP, I'd encourage you to post in the Character Workshop forum so we all can talk a bit more about how your concept can work. I think everyone here has tried to be helpful and to answer the question you asked. I'm sure we'll all do the same if you decide to come at the situation from a different angle, with a different question.