Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello Everyone! RP Newbie. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello Everyone! RP Newbie. (/showthread.php?tid=19480)

Hello Everyone! RP Newbie. - Waffles - 05-21-2017

Hello folks! I've poked around in the forum in the past, so I figured I should make an introduction now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been playing FFXIV for a while now (I'd say for a good year) and I've been playing MMOs since I was about 6 (Starting with EQ fishing for my dad) Since then, I've played WoW, and Everquest 2.

In terms of RP experience, I'd have to say it's next to nothing. I began my RPing in WoW, near the end of my time there. It was definitely enjoyable, and I heard that FFXIV had a pretty significant RP scene, plus not to mention my friends were playing as well. For a while I was just playing the game, levelling up so I could get Machinist. I've dabbled only recently in RP, to the point where I've talked a bit IC and made a small character summary.

The character I currently have cooked up is a Xaela Au'ra through and through, but from her clan, she gained some pretty varied tastes that weren't quite as common in the other tribes, due to the fact that her tribe enjoyed trading with non Au'ra peoples. Due to her own desire to keep learning new technologies, she eventually set off from her tribe to go to Doma to learn more. From there she was captured and was conscripted for quite a while under the Garlean rule, as an engineer. Eventually she was able to escape to Eorzea, and from there she changed her name to Elawyn, due to her interactions with others outside her tribe. She's currently employed with her current Free Company Equinox as a Magiteknichian.

I learned about the RPC actually, by googling up some beginner guides to RPing, and it led me to this site. Since then I've lurked, and I finally decided to introduce myself.

The kind of RPer I want to be is anywhere from Light to Medium, maybe Heavy long-term, but right now sort of between Light and Medium. Currently my biggest hurdle is a sort of rough one for me: I'm quite shy, and I'm shy because I feel inexperienced, which doesn't help my case. I'm having a rough time coming out of my shell to interact with others, because I'm having a tough time figuring out a reason to talk to a person, so I've stuck to RP events that I can attend within my FC (which currently isn't a whole lot, but they're trying!) I'm having a heck of a time understanding walk-up RP, because I can't think of scenarios that would end up in that particular interaction. Unfortunately though, my by far biggest hurdle is that shyness, and I'm struggling to break away from that, but I'd absolutely LOVE to RP a lot more, I just need to overcome this. Hopefully I can find some advice here, as I'm looking more at the forum for guidance.

In terms of real life, I currently work as a barista, and I'm attending school, quite possibly full-time schooling come next year as I'm getting ready to begin learning how to be an architect.

Thank you all for reading this! I look forward to meeting you all!

RE: Hello Everyone! RP Newbie. - Thunderbolt300 - 05-22-2017

Hey there, and welcome aboard to the RPC and to RP in general! Thumbsup

Best advice I can give is probably to visit Ul'dah for starters- hang around outside the Quicksand and you can watch and observe roleplayers to get a good idea of what all goes on. If nothing else, it's good for some brainstorming, too! Good place to dip your feet into the waters, too. If you have any questions, these forums are great for getting answers, whether they be on characters or general game lore. Also, tossing up a post on Making Connections can help you avoid the whole "walk-up" situation as you generally work out a circumstance to engage the other player, rather than complete randomness.

RE: Hello Everyone! RP Newbie. - Deahfel - 05-23-2017

Welcome to the RPC and Balmung! When I joined Balmung I read through all the information I could and kind of jumped right in with a smaller group to start building up RP experience. I think you can definitely check out some RP events and see how things are done if you wanted to watch, but I learn mostly by doing. If you are interested in doing a one on one without any pressure I would be glad to meet up with you as well or I can put you in touch with someone else as well. We have one or two ex-garleans in our discord who I could put you in contact as well since they tend to have something instantly in common with each other as well.

Anyways best of luck and I hope to see you around!