Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-21-2017

If only time were not scarce, I'd reply to everything, but to hit a few points [apologies for crappy prose - pounding this stuff out]:

(1) It is reasonable and ascertainable to expect that SE will designated an official RP server.  For this to happen, it will likely take organized community involvement.  Requesting an official RP server isn't "whining" or "unreasonable" - it's an extremely basic, simple feature to implement.  RPers are customers of SE and have every right to request reasonable revisions to the game.

(2) We should not presume that SE is utterly incapable of handling the population size on Balmung.  Resources could likely be allocated to handle the increased load, and there are a variety of less intrusive remedies that could have mitigated any over population problem.  SE for example could: (1) assess a higher server transfer fee for high-population servers; (2) provide additional in-game incentives to encourage players to transfer from high-population servers; (3) devote additional resources to banning bots and RMT schemes; (4) raise monthly subscription rates to compensate for the cost of maintaining high population servers; (5) designate official roleplay, hardcore raiding, and special interest servers to encourage certain player groups to transfer from over-populated worlds; (6) implement anti-idling features that disconnect players who idle for extended amounts of time.

Those are only ideas.  The point is that SE implemented an overly broad, ineffective remedy that will do little to actually alleviate the strain on high population servers come SB.  To make matters work, the restriction may very well harm the RP community in the aggregate for the reasons stated in the OP.

(3) Server demographics have changed so much that drawing analogies between SE's former perception towards an RP server and its current is not persuasive.  No one knows whether SE would actually implement an official RP server.  That is precisely why we should be taking steps to request that SE designate an official RP server.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Momo - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 08:30 PM)Vexander Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 08:26 PM)Momo Wrote: So you don't want us to be visible because we may hurt Yoshi's feelings while we ask for something not unreasonable as dedicated group of players...yeah I don't really get that feeling, as parsers aren't a necessity to help people, they are often a tool for the opposite.
Its not that I don't want us to be visible (we are), but that I want us to be respectful. If after 5 years the stance from Square hasn't changed, I don't think its really reasonable to keep pushing it. They've made it clear they want such things like this to be a community effort. I'd like to think the RP community is mature enough and organized enough to be able to accept that challenge and rise to it. I'd like to think we're a group of players Square could be proud of for not needing to have their hands held.

The question hasn't been asked in years, and the unique situation this time around calls for it...I really don't know where you're coming from with these ideas. It isn't disrespectful to ask for something that many want which would improve gameplay for and continued subscription. You may like to think that the community will come together, but there aren't as few of us as there were the first time they called on us, things are much more complicated and on a bigger scale now. If you don't want to support the effort, that's fine, but don't tell others it is hurting some imagined sense of pride that the Dev team has, it's not like Yoshi-P runs every account and reads every question, tweet, or email.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kaiser - 05-21-2017

Hmmm... Wow.

I never reply here. I hate typing to mass groups like this but this is the dumbest argument I have ever seen. There's literally not one valid point made by anyone and it's turned into a demand that Balmung be the one RP hub. YOU WILL TAKE OUR RP AND LIKE IT! While I enjoy Balmung enough I'm certainly glad there are other servers with rp communities. Balmung is great for mass events like the Grindstone but damn it's nice to go to a smaller server for lighter stuff.

If you really want to identify one server as the RP HUB then use one of the newer servers they talked about offering transfers too and everyone agree on a specific one but I'm sure those will fill up fairly quickly with people from Balmung and Gligamesh since they are offering gil, game time etc etc to do it.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 08:46 PM)ArrynThel Wrote: If you really want to identify one server as the RP HUB then use one of the newer servers they talked about offering transfers too and everyone agree on a specific one 
This is something part of the EU community is at least trying to achieve here, or that's what is most voted for on that thread. The issue is there'll be more than one so we really don't know which one to pick right now. SE have yet to release a list of servers to freely transfer to, either.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 05-21-2017

The OP told us it's completely reasonable to expect SE to make an RP server. Honestly, he's not listening to anyone with a counterarguments at this point. We're just talking to a wall.

For future reference if you want people to rally behind you for a cause, it's best not to dismiss good arguments from people who are just trying to find the best compromise. Just gonna turn them against you.

I.E this thread.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Askier - 05-21-2017

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before and I just missed it but WoW, and other MMO's have or have had, multiple rp servers.  I mean when Emerald Dream filled up, rpers just went and filled up another server and so on.  I don't see why that can't happen with Realm.  Sure we do it unofficially, but that hasn't stopped us on Balmung, why should that stop us on Gilgamesh, or any other servers? I recall Gilgamesh having a decent amount of rp once upon a time.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 08:46 PM)ArrynThel Wrote: Hmmm... Wow.

I never reply here. I hate typing to mass groups like this but this is the dumbest argument I have ever seen. There's literally not one valid point made by anyone and it's turned into a demand that Balmung be the one RP hub. YOU WILL TAKE OUR RP AND LIKE IT! While I enjoy Balmung enough I'm certainly glad there are other servers with rp communities. Balmung is great for mass events like the Grindstone but damn it's nice to go to a smaller server for lighter stuff.

If you really want to identify one server as the RP HUB then use one of the newer servers they talked about offering transfers too and everyone agree on a specific one but I'm sure those will fill up fairly quickly with people from Balmung and Gligamesh since they are offering gil, game time etc etc to do it.

You presuppose the state of FFXIV if Balmung did not exist and there was no centralized RP hub.  If there were no such hub, FFXIV roleplay would either be dead, minute in scale, or based entirely around isolated 20-40 person cliques. 

There are dearths of "lighter stuff" that gets RPed on Balmung every day.  The same can't be said for smaller servers.  Balmung is already the RP hub, and it should continue being that hub until SE designated an official RP server.

(05-21-2017, 08:53 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: The OP told us it's completely reasonable to expect SE to make an RP server. Honestly, he's not listening to anyone with a counterarguments at this point. We're just talking to a wall.

Because I disagree with the presumption that it is unreasonable for us to expect SE will make an RP server, and I haven't heard a valid argument for why SE would not make a dedicated RP server if the community advocated for it enough.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 08:54 PM)Sig Wrote: Balmung is already the RP hub, and it should continue being that hub until SE designated an official RP server.
Have you listened to anything that's been said? It cannot continue to be the only hub. It is literally full. They have said they will wait for the population to decline. We cannot wait until they take action, that's up to us to do something about it now while new people are locked out for who knows how long.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 05-21-2017

Look at this point, people can decide whether or not they agree with the OP and join in the efforts.

But the reason why he keeps going at it is because people aren't following.

If people don't want to follow you, that's their decision.

Make your efforts. Just do it. If people agree, you'll have your support. If they don't, well you can also see that easily.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 08:55 PM)Sig Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 08:53 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: The OP told us it's completely reasonable to expect SE to make an RP server. Honestly, he's not listening to anyone with a counterarguments at this point. We're just talking to a wall.

Because I disagree with the presumption that it is unreasonable for us to expect SE will make an RP server, and I haven't heard a valid argument for why SE would not make a dedicated RP server if the community advocated for it enough.

There have been a TON of valid arguments, though? Talking about server resources from Unnamed Mercenary, people constantly saying SE hasn't listened to a big grassroots project before, people saying that this isn't going to help them now and they have no where to go, charts about how full Balmung actually is, talks about how Balmung crashed an entire datacenter (One time Balmung caused an Electrical blowout, Balmung was down for like 24 hours). There are plenty of valid arguments.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kaiser - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 08:54 PM)Sig Wrote:

You presuppose the state of FFXIV if Balmung did not exist and there was no centralized RP hub.  If there were no such hub, FFXIV roleplay would either be dead, minute in scale, or based entirely around isolated 20-40 person cliques. 

There are dearths of "lighter stuff" that gets RPed on Balmung every day.  The same can't be said for smaller servers.  Balmung is already the RP hub, and it should continue being that hub until SE designated an official RP server.

If there wasn't a Balmung there would be another server just like it. Balmung isn't even primarily rpers itself. It's just the largest server and with the RPC being focused here of course it's going to have the majority of rpers. Asking for an official rp server is fine and dandy. Stating actual points for Balmung being central is fine. Belittling the other rp communities in the rants for why Balmung is so great isn't. I'm curious to how many people have been moving from Balmung to these other servers. If my latency doesn't settle back to what it was I might even consider it myself. I can't imagine what it's like for the EU players, especially NIN trying to cast mudras.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Val - 05-21-2017

For future reference if you want people to rally behind you for a cause, it's best not to dismiss good arguments from people who are just trying to find the best compromise. Just gonna turn them against you.

I.E this thread.

Yeah at this point there's no point in even trying to carry on the conversation. They didn't come here to debate. They came here to preach.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Mercer - 05-21-2017

I.E this thread.

(05-21-2017, 08:55 PM)Sig Wrote: Because I disagree with the presumption that it is unreasonable for us to expect SE will make an RP server, and I haven't heard a valid argument for why SE would not make a dedicated RP server if the community advocated for it enough.

What it seems to come down to is one or the other. Balmung stays the RP hub or SE tags another server as the RP hub. Since the former is unlikely, I recommend organizing for the latter.

Which means YOU need to organize this. Other people in this thread disagree with you. Others agree with you. What it comes down to that you need to organize a like minded group to petition SE.

Others will organize how they see fit for the best of the community. There is no single answer and eventually the correct one will rise to the top. You believe that faith should be put into SE to fix the problem or find an alternative. That is fine, please go and get support for this action.

But for other people, they feel the wait for such action to take place, if it will take place, to be too much damage to the community. I feel that by neglecting new players and not giving an alternative we are doing far more damage. Balmung is a sprawling RP community, the perceived cost of promoting alternate avenues of RP is negligible.

There is not going to be a universal answer or decision for this. It is plainly obvious through this thread that you have already made your decision. You have laid out arguments in this thread for people to follow you. Now it is up to you to get people to petition and bug people. It is up to you to inspire them and give them information to back up your theory.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - EliBallard - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 08:54 PM)Sig Wrote:

Still waiting to hear what the people who need a server now should do in your fantasy world. You keep skirting around the issue of them.

Please note that "play on another server now and transfer in 3-6-9-12 months when/if the retriction is ever lifted is not an appropriate answer unless you're going to pay for all of their subs between now and then, as well as refund all the gil they'd lose making the trip in houses, etc.