Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kylin - 06-06-2017

The following message is not directed at any one person, but rather the tiny vocal minority that is casting doom and gloom on other server efforts (whether here, the official forums, or elsewhere), or STILL rallying for Balmung or bust solutions that make no valid sense...

You don't have to like what's happening right now. In fact, most people don't actually like this splinter. However, it's happening. There's no stopping it. Let me repeat that. THERE. IS. NO. STOPPING. IT. The vast majority of the community (even beyond the RPC) has put their approval on the division of the RP community not necessarily because they want it, but because it's NEEDED. Nothing you say or do at this point will change that. I'd argue that even the official designation of a RP server by SE would be more detrimental than helpful at this point because people aren't going to keep moving over and over again.

There are nearly 50 RP FCs on Balmung advertised here alone. That doesn't take into account what's not advertised. I would estimate that there's actually approximately 125+ individual RP groups, large and small alike, on Balmung. That's MASSIVE. Even if the community got split in half (unlikely), it would still be a massive thriving community with plenty of styles and options. Balmung is not going anywhere anytime soon. So if someone is scared of it "dying," get realistic please and stop being melodramatic.

The RP community is still growing in FFXIV, even after all these years. Balmung cannot accommodate that growth anymore by itself. Efforts to undermine other server RP communities is directly stifling the expansion of the RP community at large.

Do we know if other server communities like Mateus will make it in the long run if Balmung gets unlocked earlier than expected? No idea. Do we know if it'll 'replace' Balmung as the new unofficial RP server eventually down the line if transfer restrictions never let up? No clue. What I do know is that there are RPers RIGHT NOW that are enjoying themselves outside Balmung and having opportunities to tell stories they otherwise didn't have a chance to tell. The community of Mateus has grown in leaps and bounds in just a matter of weeks. Other smaller groups like Faerie, Lich, and Jenova have managed put themselves on the map. Efforts to undermine that are (or should be) a direct insult to RPers everywhere. As cross-server content becomes more and more viable (with upcoming cross-server LSs and FCs on the horizon as well), we should be encouraging RP in as many places as possible so that the community continues to grow exponentially and offers even MORE opportunities than we already have.

You don't necessarily have to get on the train. But you need to at least get the hell out of its way. The momentum is already real and it's not slowing down. Efforts to do so will not only be in vain, but only contribute to the server vs server mentalities and fosters unnecessary hatred.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 06-06-2017

We owe it to Mateus to let it try, even if it ends up another Gilgamesh. There's no harm in letting them TRY really. If it fails and if Balmung ever opens up again, they'll just pull a Gilgamesh and mass transfer to Balmung. No harm, no foul really.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 06-06-2017

I don't think many are actively saying that Mateus (or others) shouldn't try but I know some have voiced their concerns in attempts to help bolster the efforts -because- they want those places to succeed but do not have the ability/time/what have you to dedicate and become one of those who would need to put in the effort.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sylentmana - 06-06-2017

I for one stand with Mateus. Balmung has become like a gated community. You can't just hop on with a new character whenever you want. You have to wait and pay a fee to get in. Designating a low pop server like Mateus as a new RP server allows for more variety of characters and PCs since it doesn't have a pay wall in front of it. An RP server needs to be easily and freely accessible to everyone. I'll make any new characters on Mateus from now on to help support that growing community.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Renata Lynn - 09-14-2017

I haven't gotten through all 18 pages yet, but the fact that people are advocating for a "everyone on Balmung!" roleplay situation baffles me. 

A critical mass of population on the server could cause a split like in 1.0. I don't know how that was handled, if people were just moved or if they got to choose where they went. 

So if the devs decided that Balmung was to be split...that's a LOT of fractured circles and stories. What if they split Balmung and my char was parted from her husband? 

I don't see what's so bad about having other servers have rp communities. What SE should focus on before even thinking about designating a server as an rp server is housing.

You should only be able to have one house and apartment per account, per server. If you have a house, you shouldn't be allowed to have an apartment. Everyone can get an FC room on each character because duh. Grant housing controls for that property to each char on that account/server. But if you have a house, you shouldn't be able to own a house with any other char. Because you have greedy people who have 8 chars on Balmung, each with a house, an apartment, and FC chambers.

But that's a different debate. Point is, no, not every rper should congregate en masse on Balmung, or we'll get that server split none of us want.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Gegenji - 09-14-2017

I think the entire point has become moot by this point considering Balmung is on complete lock-down due to its population size. No new characters, no transfers in, nothing. So even if consolidating the RP on Balmung was the right thing (which I am of the opinion it is not, but that's irrelevant to this point), there is no way to do it at this point.

But as it stands, we have a handful of large RP communities for folks that want that (Balmung if you were lucky to be on it before the lock, Mateus, Omega for our EU pals) and a smattering of smaller RP communities over other servers for those who might want that smaller, tighter knit RP community. A healthy amount of choices that - I would hope - are all doing decently well.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Renata Lynn - 09-14-2017

(06-06-2017, 09:54 AM)Sig Wrote: A few observations:

(1) It is unfortunate (and very childish and stupid) to impute negative characteristics on an entire server of people.  Making derogatory comments about people on an entire server is analogous to insulting the people of the entire continent of North America.  It makes zero sense because the people are incredibly diverse and different.  The maturity of RPers who insult entire servers of people is sad, and they likely suffer from poor social skills.

(2) RP should be consolidated on one server, and it doesn't matter where that server is located. We must keep in mind that the efforts to designate a second unofficial RP server are ultimately colored by self-interest by those who deliberately chose not to RP with the greater community on Balmung for personal reasons. Instead of taking action that would help all (i.e. - working to persuade SE to designate an official RP server or lift the transfer restrictions), some would simply use the current state to increase the size of their alternative RP communities, despite that it ultimately fragments RP. Ultimately, these issues will likely be rendered moot when SE lifts the restrictions (and the super majority of RPers gravitate towards the central RP hub they value) or an official RP server is designated to mitigate Balmung's population problem (the only thing that could get a large chunk of the population to transfer).

(3) Servers are dumb artificial barriers that do little more than divide people.
I see what you're saying, but given the sheer numbers of people who rp on Balmung, the population won't dwindle enough to give SE reason to life the restriction any time soon. Your approach to this is rather obtuse and stubborn, for you refuse to see from a back-end perspective why the server was locked and why it remains locked and likely will remain locked for months, if not years. 

There is nothing wrong with having two communities. A server split would be more cataclysmic than two rp communities, and even if say, Balmung was designated an rp server, you think the non-rpers on Balmung are just going to leave? You think if Mateus was designated an rp server that non-rpers won't roll on it? Your posts indicate you believe that to be the case, and sadly, you're mistaken.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Erah'sae - 09-14-2017

As a reminder, this was a three month old dead horse of a topic until 30 minutes ago.  
Almost everything that could be said on this has been said to the point of exhaustion.

I'd suggest we do more forward looking than debating what is now, effectively, history?

(09-14-2017, 03:55 PM)Erah Wrote: As a reminder, this was a three month old dead horse of a topic until 30 minutes ago.  
Almost everything that could be said on this has been said to the point of exhaustion.

I'd suggest we do more forward looking than debating what is now, effectively, history?
My bad, I misread the date.