Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Tyndles - 06-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 09:26 PM)Zelmanov Wrote: Best part is that Balmung will be utterly purged of gil sellers since they can get banned and no one can make a new character on there! 

I am partially conflicted as to the establishment of an official roleplay server. It will shatter the community. It does not matter if transfers are free because not everyone will leave. Too many houses and apartments at stake. Likewise some people have established ties outside of RP on Balmung.

It is actually why I /love/ the server. Because it is so massive and bloated I can find a raid group, complete PVE content, fight primals. Anyone who goes to Mateus for RP runs the risk of not being in the one of three or so raid groups. For some it does not matter, but for people like me who like to do endgame content on some days and unwind with RP? I am gonna stay here most likely.

If people go to Mateus they can still raid with folks from Balmung.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ArmachiA - 06-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 09:46 PM)Tyndles Wrote:
(06-03-2017, 09:26 PM)Zelmanov Wrote: Best part is that Balmung will be utterly purged of gil sellers since they can get banned and no one can make a new character on there! 

I am partially conflicted as to the establishment of an official roleplay server. It will shatter the community. It does not matter if transfers are free because not everyone will leave. Too many houses and apartments at stake. Likewise some people have established ties outside of RP on Balmung.

It is actually why I /love/ the server. Because it is so massive and bloated I can find a raid group, complete PVE content, fight primals. Anyone who goes to Mateus for RP runs the risk of not being in the one of three or so raid groups. For some it does not matter, but for people like me who like to do endgame content on some days and unwind with RP? I am gonna stay here most likely.

If people go to Mateus they can still raid with folks from Balmung.

Oh! That's true! I never even considered that. This actually gives me a reason to level my alt on Mateus because I can still raid on her with my team if I feel like it.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Zelmanov - 06-03-2017

Oh right, cross server raid is now a thing.....my bad.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Eses Fafa - 06-04-2017

(06-03-2017, 07:54 PM)Tyndles Wrote:
(06-03-2017, 07:36 PM)Eses Fafa Wrote: It honestly depends on the mindset of the roleplayer. I'm sure someone's probably stated what I'm about to say in the 16 pages of this but I agree with the poster in the long run.

I myself am European, and have originally started roleplay in Steamwheedle Cartel EU on WoW. As it was in its higher population and there were more options, people were just thrilled at the IDEA of roleplay. Unfortunately, most of the greater minds who create a stronger community are the ones who either heavily contribute to a primary RP server or wind up joining one. People can RP amongst themselves and I've been doing so on this game since 2013 with a group of 90% US players. There are, however, plenty of EU players on Balmung and if time restraints are that much of a problem, it's better to stay where all of the roleplayers are since those within their preferred area of time will be online anyways.
If people try to create RP servers segregated by region, the night life will be sleepier, more boring and have less potential variety to be tapped into with the community.

In regards to paying for transfer, Square Enix won't be keeping Balmung in this state for long, so placing focus towards the more heavily-populated roleplay servers like Gilgamesh as a temporary fix may be necessary. Keeping people apart only dulls the overall experience when there are so many creative minds under one roof.

I'm fairly certain Balmung is going to stay locked for a long while.  Months at least.  It's THAT overfilled, and Gilgamesh is not a good option unless you're going to create a community from near the ground up.  (and it too, is very full and will not unlock for a long time)
I'm honestly not saying that players SHOULD avoid splintering off and creating other communities, though if Balmung becomes the smaller community, Balmung will die out and most will move to the bigger one. That's the mindset of the overall roleplay community. Once the server swap is available again, Balmung will either be the smaller community by the end of it and the transfers out will commence or this new community will be off splintering again back to Balmung. It's not so much a solution to the situation, more a sorta grim truth. People say FFXIV is going to be different from other games but it really isn't. We're not a different breed of human.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Luna Sona - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 08:58 AM)Eses Fafa Wrote:
(06-03-2017, 07:36 PM)Eses Fafa Wrote: It honestly depends on the mindset of the roleplayer. I'm sure someone's probably stated what I'm about to say in the 16 pages of this but I agree with the poster in the long run.

I myself am European, and have originally started roleplay in Steamwheedle Cartel EU on WoW. As it was in its higher population and there were more options, people were just thrilled at the IDEA of roleplay. Unfortunately, most of the greater minds who create a stronger community are the ones who either heavily contribute to a primary RP server or wind up joining one. People can RP amongst themselves and I've been doing so on this game since 2013 with a group of 90% US players. There are, however, plenty of EU players on Balmung and if time restraints are that much of a problem, it's better to stay where all of the roleplayers are since those within their preferred area of time will be online anyways.
If people try to create RP servers segregated by region, the night life will be sleepier, more boring and have less potential variety to be tapped into with the community.

In regards to paying for transfer, Square Enix won't be keeping Balmung in this state for long, so placing focus towards the more heavily-populated roleplay servers like Gilgamesh as a temporary fix may be necessary. Keeping people apart only dulls the overall experience when there are so many creative minds under one roof.

I'm fairly certain Balmung is going to stay locked for a long while.  Months at least.  It's THAT overfilled, and Gilgamesh is not a good option unless you're going to create a community from near the ground up.  (and it too, is very full and will not unlock for a long time)
I'm honestly not saying that players SHOULD avoid splintering off and creating other communities, though if Balmung becomes the smaller community, Balmung will die out and most will move to the bigger one. That's the mindset of the overall roleplay community. Once the server swap is available again, Balmung will either be the smaller community by the end of it and the transfers out will commence or this new community will be off splintering again back to Balmung. It's not so much a solution to the situation, more a sorta grim truth. People say FFXIV is going to be different from other games but it really isn't. We're not a different breed of human.
Then how do you explain Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord on WoW? Those are two healthy RP servers and people can just switch between them. There's no reason for it to be, "Balmung or nothing."

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Eses Fafa - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 10:52 AM)Luna Sona Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 08:58 AM)Eses Fafa Wrote:

Then how do you explain Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord on WoW? Those are two healthy RP servers and people can just switch between them. There's no reason for it to be, "Balmung or nothing."
Two things with that actually:

1: I came from a time when there were a total of four healthy roleplay servers, not two, and in the space of a few blissful years when everyone was happy just RPing for the sake of it, it became one server. One of the two will not last.

2: It's easier to switch between servers on WoW because character progression isn't as much of a chore on that game as it is this. FFXIV's biggest flaw is how unfriendly it is to make alts because of the story, which can take weeks of tediously running through the exact same content you did years ago, an action that emphasises on how much of an MMO this game is, because developing alts is more SOUL-DRAINING than any other MMO I've played thus far. That's WHY I welcome the upcoming boosts with open arms. There are various reasons why people want this new RP server, be it for the hatred of paying extra for transfer, home regions or even a change of pace, but the moment that the balance tips towards this new side, more people will want to leave Balmung until it becomes 'the old RP server'. If that happens, I'm not going to stand my ground and help Balmung's community remain when there's greener grass on the other side and neither will any other who finds a stronger and more enjoyable community.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Momo - 06-04-2017

A move away from Balmung, either slowly or quickly is fine, BUT what isn't fine, and something I experienced within literally the first few minutes of moving to Mateus is: "Balmung RPers and their community are horrible, and not really welcome here."

Literally this and literally within a mere hour of joining the main LSs on Mateus. We don't know what will happen to Balmung, or what people will do now that it is closed, but starting on this note isn't the way to go about things.

(06-04-2017, 12:32 PM)Momo Wrote: A move away from Balmung, either slowly or quickly is fine, BUT what isn't fine, and something I experienced within literally the first few minutes of moving to Mateus is: "Balmung RPers and their community are horrible, and not really welcome here."

Literally this and literally within a mere hour of joining the main LSs on Mateus. We don't know what will happen to Balmung, or what people will do now that it is closed, but starting on this note isn't the way to go about things.
A lot of my friends actually came from Mateus. If this community is going to happen, it's got to purge the absolutely awful community that these people have been running away from.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Virella - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 12:32 PM)Momo Wrote: A move away from Balmung, either slowly or quickly is fine, BUT what isn't fine, and something I experienced within literally the first few minutes of moving to Mateus is: "Balmung RPers and their community are horrible, and not really welcome here."
I've seen that happen as well. Yes.

What I don't get either? The few people who are helping these communities from Balmung are genuinely trying to be nice to them. They don't seem to have some grand saviour complex either. But alas. I guess we just can't play nice.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Nodem - 06-04-2017

(06-04-2017, 01:09 PM)Virella Wrote:
I've seen that happen as well. Yes.

What I don't get either? The few people who are helping these communities from Balmung are genuinely trying to be nice to them. They don't seem to have some grand saviour complex either. But alas. I guess we just can't play nice.

Funny thing. Some of those people who are throwing shade at people from Balmung, ARE FROM BALMUNG themselves. So take everything said with a grain of salt. I've not received shade on Mateus because I also have characters on Balmung. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Greenley - 06-04-2017

As someone completely new to the game, as are two of my buddies, I can say we've unfortunately witnessed this numerous times already within the Discord chat and in game. Before anyone jumps on me with "Well we're not all like that!" I am well aware, but. Between comments like hoping Balmung "dries out" (note I suspect comments like these are from those who played on Balmung and got their feelings hurt for whatever reason) and some of the GM messages I've seen to the tune of "We're not Balmung. Deal with it." along with demanding respect for Mateus natives specifically, it's... not exactly making us as pumped to be here as we originally were. 

On the other hand, the people of Balmung have seemed to us like those in Portland. "Stop moving here! There's already too many people!" says a man already enjoying life in Portland. I understand the server strain is a big deal; I played FFXI for years and I was there for Remora and the aftermath. It was ugly. (Although for the record, FFXI had a different breed of players and I don't suspect SE thinks they could get away with that with this game.) 

At this point we feel like a portion of members from both groups are going through a toxic phase with welcoming people into their circle, although Mateus more so, albeit it might be because Balmung literally can't have anyone new. Regardless, half the pleasant people I've met on Mateus have actually been from Balmung, it turns out, either on alts or as transfers. A good portion of those are doing their best to genuinely assist in Mateus' community and yet I've seen snide remarks about it. 

To a point I can understand hostility from the old school Mateus natives. Some of them want(ed) a very small server and now it's growing and they're reacting negatively because it's a negative experience for them. As another poster mentioned, I'm sure half the shit-talking is from salty Balmung transfers as well, but the often resounding silence that follows these comments is just as concerning as the comments themselves. 

Although, any time a conversation about how things are going / being run is brought up people either turn away (what I've seen in game) or the mods just silence the chat (in the case of Discord), which is why I'm not even going to bother bringing them up there. In a way, this makes me a hypocrite, I know.

Sometimes a healthy debate / heated discussion (as long as it remains civil) is not only warranted, but necessary, to build a community. People should be allowed to argue a little. We're (mostly) all adults here.

For us three, we're enjoying the PvE content as we haven't done any of it before, and waiting to see if it all evens out. I still hope for the best for Mateus and will continue to support the event gatherings when RL permits. I naively bought 120 days playtime in advance + my 30 free days so I personally have nothing to lose by trying.

:::EDIT::: To the person who PMed me asking for an invite to the Discord channel, I'm in no way in charge of that and you have your PMs disabled. But what you're looking for is here: https://discord.gg/HPbYNFUBest Best of luck!

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Cato - 06-05-2017

I find that there's usually two sides to most stories. I've seen people bring up Balmung in a negative way but I've also seen people bring up Mateus in a negative manner too. Ultimately, though, it could just be venting taken out of context. Maybe the people involved were just having a bad day, maybe there's growing pains because they're frustrated that they moved from Balmung to get away from Balmung and now a lot of people from that server are now knocking on their door. A lot of people on Mateus may have genuine concerns that some people are only going to settle temporarily on the new server, set up connections and then jump ship if Balmung opens up again.

I remember there being a similar rivalry between Balmung and Gilgamesh...that got pretty heated and nasty at various points. Balmung certainly wasn't innocent in that battle, nor was Gilgamesh.

Server pride can be very dangerous, though. It can make even genuinely nice people act unreasonable much in the same way as even regular people can act deranged and/or overly defensive regarding their favour football teams.

In short, it's definitely not a black or white situation and it shouldn't be treated as such. Ultimately, though, Balmung has the luxury of being a behemoth - a few bad apples taking aim at it isn't going to destabilise it. Mateus, though, is smaller, so it stands to lose more if it ends up getting a poor reputation based on a few vocal, bitter players. With that in mind, Balmung players may need to just swallow their pride and shrug off the venting/sniping rather than bringing it up across multiple threads whenever Mateus (or another server seeking to sustain role-players) is brought up.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Melkire - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 01:00 PM)Graeham Wrote: I find that there's usually two sides to most stories. I've seen people bring up Balmung in a negative way but I've also seen people bring up Mateus in a negative manner too. Ultimately, though, it could just be venting taken out of context. Maybe the people involved were just having a bad day, maybe there's growing pains because they're frustrated that they moved from Balmung to get away from Balmung and now a lot of people from that server are now knocking on their door. A lot of people on Mateus may have genuine concerns that some people are only going to settle temporarily on the new server, set up connections and then jump ship if Balmung opens up again.

I remember there being a similar rivalry between Balmung and Gilgamesh...that got pretty heated and nasty at various points. Balmung certainly wasn't innocent in that battle, nor was Gilgamesh.

Server pride can be very dangerous, though. It can make even genuinely nice people act unreasonable much in the same way as even regular people can act deranged and/or overly defensive regarding their favour football teams.

In short, it's definitely not a black or white situation and it shouldn't be treated as such. Ultimately, though, Balmung has the luxury of being a behemoth - a few bad apples taking aim at it isn't going to destabilise it. Mateus, though, is smaller, so it stands to lose more if it ends up getting a poor reputation based on a few vocal, bitter players. With that in mind, Balmung players may need to just swallow their pride and shrug off the venting/sniping rather than bringing it up across multiple threads whenever Mateus (or another server seeking to sustain role-players) is brought up.

There's this age-old adage about those who don't learn from history. I forget how it goes.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - foxfirestorm - 06-05-2017

I would like to say, just leaning in here that the Mateus HUB and the RPM are two different beasts on the Mateus server. The Mateus HUB tends to get most people because they have an open door but no real "moderators", thus people tend to speak more freely-- Though there was a heated debate over someone not using careful wording and then some words stated (which I believe was quoted here) that I wanted to slap the guy upside the head for. I also told him to have more tact, but they snarled back.

Thankfully things cooled down and calm heads prevailed by the end of the day, but yes, words were spoken. Things got heated-- and in truth, things were not handed well on the HUB... But it also could have been far, far worse as well.

Now I make no excuses for them, as I said, I wasn't happy with the way it was handled, but that is my place to overrule, nor is it the location I control. They did the best they knew how to do and the person who runs it, bless her heart, is also dealing with being a new mom and handling a new born child.

Where I do have authority at is on the RPM and I have been working to point of nearly giving myself an ulcer (along with several of the moderator team), to quickly act as humanly possible to track down those who do want to destroy the friendly nature we are trying to build and also want to disrupt the relations between the RP community. BUT, we are limited to do the RPM and sometimes, even then, things slip because we don't have enough people on hand to catch everything time someone decides to start something.

We are having growing pains. There are old guards who are not happy. There is also, however, excitement as well and motivation for what is being done. Its a mix community over on this server between two different mindsets.

But we are TRYING and we are doing our damnest. I love Balmung, I loved Besaid. They are my homes, perhaps Besaid more so than Balmung, but I am not someone to ignore a community and we ask, please, just take things with a grain of salt, help build the community to the best of everyone's ability and while we work together, as a team, we will eventually get things settled out.

Its going to be bumpy. Its going to be rough at times, but by the end of the day...
It will be all worth it.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 06-06-2017

A few observations:

(1) It is unfortunate (and very childish and stupid) to impute negative characteristics on an entire server of people.  Making derogatory comments about people on an entire server is analogous to insulting the people of the entire continent of North America.  It makes zero sense because the people are incredibly diverse and different.  The maturity of RPers who insult entire servers of people is sad, and they likely suffer from poor social skills.

(2) RP should be consolidated on one server, and it doesn't matter where that server is located. We must keep in mind that the efforts to designate a second unofficial RP server are ultimately colored by self-interest by those who deliberately chose not to RP with the greater community on Balmung for personal reasons. Instead of taking action that would help all (i.e. - working to persuade SE to designate an official RP server or lift the transfer restrictions), some would simply use the current state to increase the size of their alternative RP communities, despite that it ultimately fragments RP. Ultimately, these issues will likely be rendered moot when SE lifts the restrictions (and the super majority of RPers gravitate towards the central RP hub they value) or an official RP server is designated to mitigate Balmung's population problem (the only thing that could get a large chunk of the population to transfer).

(3) Servers are dumb artificial barriers that do little more than divide people.