Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Y'raya - 06-03-2017

Having read it all now, the problem is twofold. One, any attempt to set up a new server needs people, and the vast bulk of roleplayers that could help are on Balmung. Having them risk $18 to move to a new server, sacrifice any investments they'd made in Balmung already like FCs, Housing, etc., just to potentially have to pay another $18 to move back or end up locked out like the rest of us is unreasonable.

It's just as unreasonable however to ask everyone to wait to maybe spend money on an opportunity that may never come just because "one server is better than two". Two servers can get by just fine. MG and WrA on Wacraft have done well over the years, with no signs of slowing. Both are great communities, and roleplayers move between them often. It's not a problem. It's just healthy expansion, especially considering that both servers have occasionally teetered towards full or queues to get online at peak points through their history.

It's not a question of if a second server needs to happen, it's a matter of how and when. It needs to happen, and should happen. Getting it to happen is the tough thing.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Virella - 06-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 05:49 PM)SoMuchY Wrote: Two servers can get by just fine.
EU WoW servers want a word with you. We only had one roleplay server left in the end.

Just because it worked on WoW US doesn't mean it will on FFXIV.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Y'raya - 06-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 05:59 PM)Virella Wrote:
EU WoW servers want a word with you. We only had one roleplay server left in the end.

To be fair, what FFXIV currently has in it's one locked and previously impossible to get onto without paying money server also is not working. There isn't really a middle option in this race.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 06-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 05:28 PM)SoMuchY Wrote: Before I even get further into this thread... in response to #1 here. 6 months? 12 months? Balmung has been locked down hard almost since ARR launched. You HAD to pay to get in, for most of that.
I would like to clarify/ make a minor correction to this: Balmung was open for character creation since ARR launched. I created a character just fine onto Balmung Nov 30 2013 and did it for friends during peak hours as well.

Yes, it did in fact get worse to when you had to be up at 4-5am Pacific to create some characters months later into 2014 but the need for paid transfers was not around yet. That was around end of year 2014 Holidays. THAT is when we started to see the need for paid transfers. It alleviated 3 months later until Heavensward June 2015 hit. After that I have never seen character creation open except for <5 minutes after maintenance.

This can be seen in the thread I started in July 2015.

(06-03-2017, 06:20 PM)Kage Wrote:
(06-03-2017, 05:28 PM)SoMuchY Wrote: Before I even get further into this thread... in response to #1 here. 6 months? 12 months? Balmung has been locked down hard almost since ARR launched. You HAD to pay to get in, for most of that.
I would like to clarify/ make a minor correction to this: Balmung was open for character creation since ARR launched. I created a character just fine onto Balmung Nov 30 2013 and did it for friends during peak hours as well.

Yes, it did in fact get worse to when you had to be up at 4-5am Pacific to create some characters months later into 2014 but the need for paid transfers was not around yet. That was around end of year 2014 Holidays. THAT is when we started to see the need for paid transfers. It alleviated 3 months later until Heavensward June 2015 hit. After that I have never seen character creation open except for <5 minutes after maintenance.

This can be seen in the thread I started in July 2015.
The above is accurate. However, I stand by my point. For a lot of people, rolling at 4-5am or paying to come over? Not something that should be expected of them. Same goes for getting online right after maintenance. I gotta make money to pay for this in the first place. Which requires me to sleep at those hours, or work at them.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Virella - 06-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 06:14 PM)SoMuchY Wrote:

To be fair, what FFXIV currently has in it's one locked and previously impossible to get onto without paying money server also is not working. There isn't really a middle option in this race.
Yeah but a second server isn't magically going to establish itself either.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Tyndles - 06-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 06:37 PM)Virella Wrote:

I think it's happening though. It's not and will never be as big as Balmung, but it's slowly growing and if it ends up as a free transfer point I think it will be established. Better? Nah, but good for tthose that just want something smaller where everyone know each other.

(06-03-2017, 06:50 PM)Tyndles Wrote:

I think it's happening though.  It's not and will never be as big as Balmung, but it's slowly growing and if it ends up as a free transfer point I think it will be established.  Better?  Nah, but good for tthose that just want something smaller where everyone know each other.
And that's the thing. A lot of people want this, because we CANT join you. It's put me off getting involved in this game multiple times already, and I'm not alone in that. I want to RP here. But it's impossible to get in with Balmung. A second option is necessary, and yes, it does need help from people on Balmung. Desperately. The outsiders can't do this alone... but there's no forseeable future where we get to join you all at this point. They're just going to keep locking the server, if and when they do unlock it, because people keep transferring on.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Eses Fafa - 06-03-2017

It honestly depends on the mindset of the roleplayer. I'm sure someone's probably stated what I'm about to say in the 16 pages of this but I agree with the poster in the long run.

I myself am European, and have originally started roleplay in Steamwheedle Cartel EU on WoW. As it was in its higher population and there were more options, people were just thrilled at the IDEA of roleplay. Unfortunately, most of the greater minds who create a stronger community are the ones who either heavily contribute to a primary RP server or wind up joining one. People can RP amongst themselves and I've been doing so on this game since 2013 with a group of 90% US players. There are, however, plenty of EU players on Balmung and if time restraints are that much of a problem, it's better to stay where all of the roleplayers are since those within their preferred area of time will be online anyways.
If people try to create RP servers segregated by region, the night life will be sleepier, more boring and have less potential variety to be tapped into with the community.

In regards to paying for transfer, Square Enix won't be keeping Balmung in this state for long, so placing focus towards the more heavily-populated roleplay servers like Gilgamesh as a temporary fix may be necessary. Keeping people apart only dulls the overall experience when there are so many creative minds under one roof.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Unnamed Mercenary - 06-03-2017

Just for the record, there are a number of people who are/were active on Besaid/Balmung working to build up not-Balmung communities. It's kinda insulting to their efforts to continue asking for Balmung when another doesn't need to be Balmung to actually have a functional RP community.

Balmung is by no means a homogenous community. Even the RPC's users here don't even qualify for that. (If you disagree, you're proving my point. If you agree, I don't even need to make my point then.) Do I think every single small community has what it takes to become a fully functional, self-sustaining community? No. For some servers, that's perfect. For other servers, they'd probably consider than an insult. The one I've been observing and giving the most input to has a lot of growing and a lot of learning to do because I think its community will actually be sustainable. But if I had to make assumptions about how Balmung rose to its position currently, I'd bet the same happened back when it was Besaid in 1.0.

Balmung is likely going to stay closed for a pretty long time as long as Square Enix keeps putting the 7.5-8k active players/connections number around for stability concerns. RPC has more users registered than that. And we're a fraction of the total users. For every inactive user/duplicate account/bot on RPC, there's probably a user unaffiliated with the site who's active on Balmung. And more.

Likewise, just being Balmung is considered the biggest server, there's still no guarantee of finding RP. Especially RP that you (the reader) would even find interesting. Nobody's obligated to RP. If it's such a turn off to not be on Balmung specifically, I'd have to consider if this is really the right choice of game to play/RP in to start. The people who on either started super early, worked to wake up at the right time despite having their own lives and commitments, or paid for it knowing that it was still a gamble. If the game is worth playing, there are plenty of servers available.

I'll keep recommending the smaller servers to work on their exposure. Posts here aren't going to suddenly become non-Balmung by Balmung players. Non-Balmung events aren't going to post themselves. In-character stories have no reason to be divided by server (unless someone's treating them like an alternate universe and is using the same character base on multiple servers). I'd urge all our users here to show activity, especially the ones trying to bolster their communities. You'll get noticed by being visible.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Tyndles - 06-03-2017

(06-03-2017, 07:36 PM)Eses Fafa Wrote: It honestly depends on the mindset of the roleplayer. I'm sure someone's probably stated what I'm about to say in the 16 pages of this but I agree with the poster in the long run.

I myself am European, and have originally started roleplay in Steamwheedle Cartel EU on WoW. As it was in its higher population and there were more options, people were just thrilled at the IDEA of roleplay. Unfortunately, most of the greater minds who create a stronger community are the ones who either heavily contribute to a primary RP server or wind up joining one. People can RP amongst themselves and I've been doing so on this game since 2013 with a group of 90% US players. There are, however, plenty of EU players on Balmung and if time restraints are that much of a problem, it's better to stay where all of the roleplayers are since those within their preferred area of time will be online anyways.
If people try to create RP servers segregated by region, the night life will be sleepier, more boring and have less potential variety to be tapped into with the community.

In regards to paying for transfer, Square Enix won't be keeping Balmung in this state for long, so placing focus towards the more heavily-populated roleplay servers like Gilgamesh as a temporary fix may be necessary. Keeping people apart only dulls the overall experience when there are so many creative minds under one roof.

I'm fairly certain Balmung is going to stay locked for a long while. Months at least. It's THAT overfilled, and Gilgamesh is not a good option unless you're going to create a community from near the ground up. (and it too, is very full and will not unlock for a long time)

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Luna Sona - 06-03-2017

So what do you suggest new people do then? Just sit and wait until Balmung opens? There are people working right now on Mateus and other servers to help support and foster a RP community.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Askier - 06-03-2017

Oh. This thread is still going.

In circles too.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Zelmanov - 06-03-2017

Best part is that Balmung will be utterly purged of gil sellers since they can get banned and no one can make a new character on there! 

I am partially conflicted as to the establishment of an official roleplay server. It will shatter the community. It does not matter if transfers are free because not everyone will leave. Too many houses and apartments at stake. Likewise some people have established ties outside of RP on Balmung.

It is actually why I /love/ the server. Because it is so massive and bloated I can find a raid group, complete PVE content, fight primals. Anyone who goes to Mateus for RP runs the risk of not being in the one of three or so raid groups. For some it does not matter, but for people like me who like to do endgame content on some days and unwind with RP? I am gonna stay here most likely.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Nodem - 06-03-2017

Gilgamesh isn't an option right now. It's closed too.

Unnamed hit the nail on the head with a lot of good points. Be sure to read his post.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was Balmung MAGICALLY a place to RP. People are comfortable on Balmung, and it's understandable, but trying to impede any person's work towards building up another server for RP will fracture the community as a whole. Multiple servers having RP doesn't destroy the unity of RP, it's the people that destroy it when they want to claim exclusive rights to it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Problem with a designated RP server. It most likely won't be a legacy server, so legacy players won't want to switch either.