Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Mercer - 05-22-2017

I think the best solution for now is that we need two RP alternatives. One for EU, one for NA. Having the population split between the Balmung NA/EU hybrid, EU and NA would allow for RP to diversify enough that the servers should remain stable while having large communities.
But man, what a hot mess we've got on our hands.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 05-22-2017

I think EU's got it mostly figured out last I saw the thread? Maybe?

I know lots of people are "well I want better / -this- incentive" but I haven't seen people PUSH SE about it just yet. Now's a good time to really let them know if we would want to see more to move.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 11:48 AM)Kage Wrote: I think EU's got it mostly figured out last I saw the thread? Maybe?

I know lots of people are "well I want better / -this- incentive" but I haven't seen people PUSH SE about it just yet.  Now's a good time to really let them know if we would want to see more to move.
We're just waiting on the server names to come out so we can say, "yes, this one". Then after that, that's down to the players and RPC to give it as much attention as Balmung so it doesn't fall into those small pockets like the other servers.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Mercer - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 11:54 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 11:48 AM)Kage Wrote: I think EU's got it mostly figured out last I saw the thread? Maybe?

I know lots of people are "well I want better / -this- incentive" but I haven't seen people PUSH SE about it just yet.  Now's a good time to really let them know if we would want to see more to move.
We're just waiting on the server names to come out so we can say, "yes, this one". Then after that, that's down to the players and RPC to give it as much attention as Balmung so it doesn't fall into those small pockets like the other servers.
With the website update coming, it's the perfect time to do this as well.

I'll make sure to keep the EU threads in every server thread I make.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 11:54 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote:

I very much support and encourage this effort.

If you have peoples/communities/FCs/etc who are holding off because the incentives 'just quite aren't good enough yet' I encourage them to start asking SE about it. I would join in the efforts to get awareness etc.

(this extends to NA communities too)

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Papajimboh - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 11:39 AM)Foxberry Wrote: I wouldn't call it a problem at all, if anything the opposite. But I've seen comments floating around to kick out PVErs. That rp servers should only be rpers.

Same. It's frustrating knowing there are a number of people like that on any server. I think every server needs a healthy percentage of all types of players. What percentage is "healthy" however, differs from one server to the next, usually dependent upon the goals of the community as a whole. 

Kicking the PVEers from a server like Balmung would have so much backlash. How many angry players would try to come back to Balmung as "RPers" simply to grief to no end out of spite? Enough to potentially ruin it for a lot of people.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - EliBallard - 05-22-2017

Is.. is it over?

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Val - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 04:48 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Is.. is it over?

Not anymore. Thanks for that Wink

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - EliBallard - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 04:50 PM)Val Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 04:48 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Is.. is it over?

Not anymore. Thanks for that Wink
Need to get my entertainment from somewhere.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Virella - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 12:02 PM)Papajimboh Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 11:39 AM)Foxberry Wrote: I wouldn't call it a problem at all, if anything the opposite. But I've seen comments floating around to kick out PVErs. That rp servers should only be rpers.

Same. It's frustrating knowing there are a number of people like that on any server. I think every server needs a healthy percentage of all types of players. What percentage is "healthy" however, differs from one server to the next, usually dependent upon the goals of the community as a whole. 

Kicking the PVEers from a server like Balmung would have so much backlash. How many angry players would try to come back to Balmung as "RPers" simply to grief to no end out of spite? Enough to potentially ruin it for a lot of people.
Would be asburd on so many levels to kick PvEers.

I knew a lot of PvE focused people back on WoW. They simply liked everything around roleplay; the stories, the immersed names, the art ect. But just weren't interested in roleplaying themselves. They did like hearing about it ect. One person even claimed he preferred RP servers due to the fact people tend to be a bit older and all that.

They were really good for server economy on top of that!

Anyone who thinks S-E is going to forcibly remove anyone already on a server is delusional, by the way.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Fox - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 04:59 PM)Virella Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 12:02 PM)Papajimboh Wrote:

Would be asburd on so many levels to kick PvEers.

I knew a lot of PvE focused people back on WoW. They simply liked everything around roleplay; the stories, the immersed names, the art ect. But just weren't interested in roleplaying themselves. They did like hearing about it ect. One person even claimed he preferred RP servers due to the fact people tend to be a bit older and all that.

They were really good for server economy on top of that!

Yeah, I've just seen a lot of pretty zealous people saying how PVErs should go on various places. Not really too much here on RPC thankfully but from some groups, tumblr and OF. It's rather disappointing really. And like you said; the PVers really just enjoy the community find it friendlier and all of that. I have a couple of friends who like building characters for themselves and what not but don't feel like they can do rp well. Others who like playing D&D; but can't get into the whole rp thing but they like the servers. Smile

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Alderique - 05-22-2017

Balmung has gotten too full. People have been paying transfer fees for too long, and it was inevitably going to reach limits. The Balmung-or-bust attitude has likely prevented people from trying to establish communities elsewhere, and people insist that smaller servers will be terrible.

Consider that maybe Balmung isn't for everyone, or even if people like it, it's not a place they have to be. Some people have a mix of RP and non-RP friends they would like to play with, and there's little reason for a non-RPer to shell out cash to come to Balmung.

Even unlocked, $18 is a lot for many people. I know several RPers that struggle to save up enough to pay for game time, or transfers, or whatever. Some folks say it's not a lot of money to pay for quality, but for some people it is. Some people have ailments that prevent them from working. Some people have families and other expenses, and FF14 is a bonus.

Some people legit want access to game features like housing without having to log in at 5am and pray for internet speeds. Some folks want housing without having to spend tens of millions for something they could pay 3million for elsewhere. It can all be a big investment for someone who's starting right now, or even started a few months ago.

I wouldn't tell anyone they should leave Balmung if they like it, but I wouldn't discourage the idea of settling new servers for RP. Balmung isn't the only choice.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Shofie - 05-26-2017

How exactly, does one determine a PVEer from a RPer, by the way?

How do they kick out PVEers? This isn't going to happen, but for the sake of curiosity, how on earth would Square Enix determine who is "only" a PVEer, and who is also a roleplayer?

You can see why this wouldn't work, or ever happen, yea?

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Y'raya - 06-03-2017

(05-21-2017, 01:43 PM)Sig Wrote:
(05-21-2017, 01:39 PM)Kilieit Wrote: Here's my questions:

What makes you so certain that this transfer limitation - which warranted a lodestone post notifying us that it was essentially until further notice, unlike any prior restriction - will be lifted in 1-2 months?

What do you suggest we do if the transfer limit still isn't lifted in 3 months? In 6 months? A year?

And what advice would you give to someone who is starting the game today and wants to roleplay?

(1) You raise an excellent question.  I'm not certain.  But it is likely that SE will follow its prior pattern of conduct and lift the restriction in 1-2 months.  However, you're correct to postulate that SE may take months to lift the restriction.  That is precisely why Balmung RPers should be screaming bloody murder at SE right now.  If the server is still locked in 6 months, we should scream louder.  If twelve months, then (maybe) we should consider other alternatives.

(2) There are RP communities on a variety of small servers (Maetus and Farie come to mind).  New RPers should join those communities until Balmung opens up.  They should select whichever community suits their tastes and preferences best.  The new RPer should transfer to Balmung as soon as the restriction is lifted, ideally with his or her friends.

Before I even get further into this thread... in response to #1 here. 6 months? 12 months? Balmung has been locked down hard almost since ARR launched. You HAD to pay to get in, for most of that. It isn't a matter of how long this absolute lockdown lasts... you've been on lockdown so long that potential roleplayers have been pushed away for years already. That's a problem. Centralizing won't fix it. It'll just get the server locked again because no one will leave to alleviate the incoming players.