Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Anehki - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:01 AM)Papajimboh Wrote: This is an enticing idea as well. My wife and I have been talking about it as an option since the announcement. Our two big concerns, and potentially shared concerns with other players, are these:

1. Obviously, the ping. It may not be a big deal, but what kind of ping would be expected from the central US to EU data centers? As you mentioned, EU players have been playing here for some time, so I'm curious what it was like for those players so I'd know what to expect. 

2. The time zone difference. We typically play most often within the 7pm-11pm timeline during the week, then just whenever on weekends. But that would put EU in the wee hours of the morning, meaning it would potentially split the community a bit due to time differences. That's something that may have been an issue already in reverse on NA servers, but something I'm curious about. 

Also as a side question, can you choose any server on any locations data center on any account? There's no need to create a new account in order to play on EU or JP like in some other games, is there?

Answers to the best of my ability:

1: Ping may be an issue, but I have NA friends on Cerberus atm, N.Carolina was one of their locations and they said it was fine for them, ofc this won't always be the case.

2:Time zone will be an issue at first, there is no denying that but if more NA players came across, we could slowly build an international community, so it's always an option, and yes you do raise valid points, however on days people are off work and such there is always the possibility of making events friendly to both timezones perhaps.

3: No you don't need another account, it's just for item codes from promotions it effects such as the amazon maid costumes etc. You can move your main over and soon for free as well as far as I'm aware Big Grin So it's a possibility.

I hope I helped, sorry if any of my information is incorrect friends. Smile

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Vexander - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:06 AM)Anehki Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 10:01 AM)Papajimboh Wrote: This is an enticing idea as well. My wife and I have been talking about it as an option since the announcement. Our two big concerns, and potentially shared concerns with other players, are these:

1. Obviously, the ping. It may not be a big deal, but what kind of ping would be expected from the central US to EU data centers? As you mentioned, EU players have been playing here for some time, so I'm curious what it was like for those players so I'd know what to expect. 

2. The time zone difference. We typically play most often within the 7pm-11pm timeline during the week, then just whenever on weekends. But that would put EU in the wee hours of the morning, meaning it would potentially split the community a bit due to time differences. That's something that may have been an issue already in reverse on NA servers, but something I'm curious about. 

Also as a side question, can you choose any server on any locations data center on any account? There's no need to create a new account in order to play on EU or JP like in some other games, is there?

1: Ping may be an issue, but I have NA friends on Cerberus atm, N.Carolina was one of their locations and they said it was fine for them, ofc this won't always be the case.

2:Time zone will be an issue at first, there is no denying that but if more NA players came across, we could slowly build an international community, so it's always an option, and yes you do raise valid points, however on days people are off work and such there is always the possibility of making events friendly to both timezones perhaps.

3: No you don't need another account, it's just for item codes from promotions it effects such as the amazon maid costumes etc. You can move your main over and soon for free as well as far as I'm aware Big Grin So it's a possibility.

Hrmn... one of my concerns for the EU servers is SE's yearly promotional. Its quite difficult for Americans to participate in the EU versions, since those are highly localized, whereas the NA version is through amazon and very easy to participate in from just about anywhere.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Anehki - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:09 AM)Vexander Wrote: Hrmn... one of my concerns for the EU servers is SE's yearly promotional. Its quite difficult for Americans to participate in the EU versions, since those are highly localized, whereas the NA version is through amazon and very easy to participate in from just about anywhere.

Oh no, it doesn't work like that Vexander, you still can partake in it in the NA, just say if you gave your code to an EU account (that doesnt mean a character on an EU server) more so someone who has bought the game in the EU, then it wouldn't work. So I couldn't use your code as I'm an EU account, but you an NA account so you can.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kilieit - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:09 AM)Vexander Wrote: Hrmn... one of my concerns for the EU servers is SE's yearly promotional. Its quite difficult for Americans to participate in the EU versions, since those are highly localized, whereas the NA version is through amazon and very easy to participate in from just about anywhere.

Those are limited by account region (determined when you sign up), not server region (of which you can have multiple). I play on Balmung and Midgardsomr (both NA servers) and can't access the current promotion until they bring it out in the EU due to having an EU account.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Vexander - 05-22-2017

Oh? Well that makes me feel a lot better.

Like I said, right now I'd love to see two or three new designated RP servers. At least 1 being EU.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:18 AM)Vexander Wrote: at least 1 being EU.
I think we actually petitioned this to the RPC before 2.0 launched. It never took off, sadly, and we were told "all the RPers will be on Balmung so there's no point splitting". At the same time, we had no EU datacenters, and by the time we got them most of us decided to stay.

And then, well, this week.

(05-22-2017, 10:20 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote:
I think we actually petitioned this to the RPC before 2.0 launched. It never took off, sadly, and we were told "all the RPers will be on Balmung so there's no point splitting"

Yeah, but now that we understand a lot more about the servers, their infrastructure, and their mass capacity for players, I think there can be a lot of motivation to make it work out.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Kage - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 12:28 AM)Kage Wrote: And even if we concede that OP will say "SE needs to designate another server as an official RP server" to concede to the actual limitations...

(05-22-2017, 12:04 AM)Sig Wrote: Nothing else will work.

They will work because we must make sure they work and can see that there is considerable effort in making it work. We cannot depend on SE to do something that the roleplayers can and should do.

WHILE PEOPLE CONTINUE TO ADVOCATE FOR AN RP SERVER,

a) Please start asking SE to elaborate and to increase bonus incentives to transfer. Think of reasonable things we can expect from SE to do. Tokens for plots?? What else?

and

b) See above bolded. We should encourage all or many of the smaller communities to consolidate to bolster content creator populations so that 'the smaller community' does not stagnate and fall because of fatigue or other factors that have been seen as factors that have halted progress.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Papajimboh - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:06 AM)Anehki Wrote:

More than helpful! I suppose none of the issues I'd have are game breaking in any way, but may eventually be deciding factors if we have a tough decision to make. I'd like to gather as much info as possible before we switch because I don't intend on bouncing around. 

For clarity, I have no issue remaining on Balmung outside the fact that my wife is unable to move here to play with me, and may not be for some time. I'd be content to stay if she were able to join me, but even if so, I wouldn't close the door entirely on the option to join a new community either given the recent discussions. 

There's something about being part of a good community, but there's something entirely differently being part of one you grew with and helped build. Smile

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Erah'sae - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:20 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote:
I think we actually petitioned this to the RPC before 2.0 launched. It never took off, sadly, and we were told "all the RPers will be on Balmung so there's no point splitting". At the same time, we had no EU datacenters, and by the time we got them most of us decided to stay.

One thing pushing an EU centric server is the increase in network latency from many EU locations to the current US West coast servers.  This makes some PvE activity a bit on the tricky side.  (Benidiction was a pain when one didn't have a latency spiking up to 400ms)

Given how many people participate in multiple sides of the RP / PvE / PvP trifecta you might see some serious push towards an EU datacenter group if they get pings down to sub 100ms.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Fox - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:02 AM)Vexander Wrote: Part of the issue is, RP'ers attract non-RP'ers. Crafters love RP'ers because we're insatiable glamour machines willing to dish out millions of gil for the latest outfit. PvE'ers love us because the crafters love us. More crafters come to meet our demands, driving down prices, making it cheaper for PvE'ers to get the latest gear and items for raiding. Griefers love us cause we're an easy target. They might get banned for intentionally screwing up a raid, but, 'Harassment,' is a gray area where SE is concerned, so Trolls feel safer targeting us.

I've always felt that RP'ers are the backbone, the glue of most servers. This is why we really need more than one new unofficial RP server, though I'm happy to see one selected for now and see what the future brings.

Not just that, but in my many years of gaming I've talked with PVErs. There are a lot who just genuinely like RP servers because they perceive them to be nicer and kinder people, less toxic if you were. They say they would roll on RP because they like the community, they don't feel stressed. So even if there was an RP tag, non rpers would join regardless.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Shofie - 05-22-2017

While these are all great points, the biggest detraction here is simple: No new roleplayers can get onto the server for the foreseeable future, and alternatives need to be discussed.

Yea, it stinks we have to split people up, but....the alternative is what? People simply not roleplaying at all? I mean, if people can't get onto Balmung and they want to roleplay, their options become extremely limited to text posts in formats outside of the game at that point. While those work for some folks, that won't work for everyone.

An alternative needs to be thought of, and the sooner, the better, so we don't have people scattered even further out on many other servers, and ideally only on one server.

While in a perfect world, SE will open the realms back up in awhile and let people come back....I personally tend to doubt it anytime even remotely soon. People don't leave Balmung nearly as much as they want to come to it. They've been begging us for awhile now not to make characters on the server, and now they've taken pretty drastic action to stop it because it's gotten out of hand.

SE isn't going to reverse this anytime soon. I imagine it took a lot for them to consider this action in the first place. The players of Balmung politely asking them to overturn the close isn't going to do it. Their are server/hardware issues potentially at stake here that we aren't privy to.

Short of them taking other drastic measures that are probably also not very desirable, we're stuck with a closed server for the foreseeable future.

I think it'd be lovely if SE designated official RP servers; that would help a lot with the confusion and malaise players have about where to go and what to do now.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Shofie - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:54 AM)Foxberry Wrote: There are a lot who just genuinely like RP servers because they perceive them to be nicer and kinder people, less toxic if you were. They say they would roll on RP because they like the community, they don't feel stressed.

I'm kind of in this category. I love roleplay, but because of a really busy work schedule, I don't get to do it very often.

Even when I'm not actively roleplaying, I still prefer the rp community over non-rp communities. I find them nicer overall in general, the servers are usually more pleasant to run around on, and people tend to take more care considering their names (so you see less joke names, or offensive ones, etc). Overall, I just find that environment far more relaxing and pleasant.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Papajimboh - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 10:54 AM)Foxberry Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 10:02 AM)Vexander Wrote: Part of the issue is, RP'ers attract non-RP'ers. Crafters love RP'ers because we're insatiable glamour machines willing to dish out millions of gil for the latest outfit. PvE'ers love us because the crafters love us. More crafters come to meet our demands, driving down prices, making it cheaper for PvE'ers to get the latest gear and items for raiding. Griefers love us cause we're an easy target. They might get banned for intentionally screwing up a raid, but, 'Harassment,' is a gray area where SE is concerned, so Trolls feel safer targeting us.

I've always felt that RP'ers are the backbone, the glue of most servers. This is why we really need more than one new unofficial RP server, though I'm happy to see one selected for now and see what the future brings.

Not just that, but in my many years of gaming I've talked with PVErs. There are a lot who just genuinely like RP servers because they perceive them to be nicer and kinder people, less toxic if you were. They say they would roll on RP because they like the community, they don't feel stressed. So even if there was an RP tag, non rpers would join regardless.

This is exactly why I stayed on the server I played on for so long in WoW.

I decided to try the opposite faction, and chose a new server to do so. I rolled on an RP server by accident, not even knowing what it was at the time, and thought "wow, everyone here seems so much friendlier than my old server," and then ended up moving 100% of my characters there. So in other games I've played that designate RP servers, I find myself gravitating toward them whether I RP in that particular game or not. 

But I don't think that's necessarily an issue. I believe that the people who share that mindset at generally more well mannered people themselves, even if they don't RP. They are people who want a strong community and general politeness to enjoy their game. Those types of players should be welcomed by RPers too because they are often times good people. 

They may not be RPers, but they may be that tank in the dungeon you've never run before who patiently takes the time to explain boss fights to you, and laughs when you wipe instead of blaming someone. Or the person who you ask to craft a chest piece, but you were mistaken on the materials needed and come up short, so they just use theirs instead at no extra charge. 

RP communities tend to bring out either the best or worst in people, (because trolls have to exist to balance the force, I suppose) but most often it seems like the former. Big Grin

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Fox - 05-22-2017

I wouldn't call it a problem at all, if anything the opposite. But I've seen comments floating around to kick out PVErs. That rp servers should only be rpers.