Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub (/showthread.php?tid=19478)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Skae - 05-22-2017

(05-21-2017, 04:14 PM)Oswin Wrote: I take offense to this. To say that the player exclusion, stalkers and cliques are mythical is wholly uncalled for. There are many people that have experienced such behavior and to outright dismiss them is unacceptable. It could be in the minority of the experiences, but there are experiences that happen on a daily occurrence.

Of course all those things exist on Balmung - how widespread they are is another question.
They are hardly unique to Balmung though. To at least some extent they can be found in nearly any community of sufficient size - and quite a few smaller communities as well.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Skae - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 03:09 AM)Tyndles Wrote: I appreciate the need for a new RP server area, but let's not go to the other extreme. The fact is that Balmung will calm down and other than queues, things will be fine after a few weeks, like they were in Heavensward.

Will they? While the load will most likely drop somewhat a few weeks after SB is released, keep in mind that right now we are likely in an extremely calm period - so even after the initial expansion rush has calmed down, player activity will still remain higher than it currently is for many months to come.

The risk of a server split has been mentioned. Another possibility is that the currently locked down servers will remain locked down until their population has decreased to more managable levels. That could take years.

It is of course possible that SE will open up the servers again 1-2 months after the expansion launch, but I wouldn't count on it.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - ExAtomos - 05-22-2017

Eh, if threat of server split comes around, why not just pile into a few clown cars FCs that we definitely want to stay with to ensure we go to the same place? I'd put an alt to babysit my FC house and just pretend to be one of those hitchhiker seeds on someone's pants (I'm from Florida, dunno if hitchhikers are a thing in other areas) til after the move. If alt with the FC house (or token, whatever) ended up on the same server, bonus!

My opinion on housing is that yeah, it's really super nice and a big part of the enjoyment I get from my gameplay... but it's the people I meet and rp with that are far more important. (This is an argument I keep seeing crop up on these threads about server alternatives and options.)

eta: Yes, consolidation.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 02:19 AM)Oswin Wrote: How do we move forward? Diversifying. There is already a small, but strong RP presence on other servers. Mateus, Jenova, Faerie, Cactaur, Sargatanas and more. What needs to happen is for people to broaden their horizons and join these other servers. There needs to be an active effort to strengthen new communities. It will not be an easy effort, and in reality I don't believe there will be enough effort for Balmung to survive.

(1)  Merc, thank you for the tech explanation.  That was very informative about the server load.  However, the Balmung population could be decreased by alternative means [mentioned some of these in a prior post] (ideally designating an official RP server).  Banning transfers will not be effective to alleviate the pending server strain that will happen around SB when potentially thousands of players already on Balmung return. Worse yet is that this ineffective remedy could be extremely detrimental to the long-term health of the RP community if the transfer restrictions are not lifted after 2-3 months.

(2) Oswin, I appreciate all the effort you're putting into bolstering Maetus as the alternative RP server, but the answer again is not to fragment the RP community across multiple servers.  This does not create diversity or increase roleplay: it does the opposite - it causes homogenization of roleplay, decreases the type and frequency of RP available, and increases community stagnation.

Server selection is an artificial, technical barrier that should not divide roleplayers.  Honestly, if SE decides to split Balmung, that might very well be a great thing for the community if RPers could agree on a consensus alternative server.  It doesn't matter where RP'ers play: what matters is that they stick together and consolidate RP in one place (currently Balmung).

(3) Again, the long term solutions here are: (1) convince SE to lift the transfer restriction [and implement alternative population control measures if necessary]; or (2) convince SE to designate an official RP server.  No one stands anything to gain by splitting the party, man.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Vexander - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 09:22 AM)Sig Wrote: (3) Again, the long term solutions here are: (1) convince SE to lift the transfer restriction [and implement alternative population control measures if necessary]; or (2) convince SE to designate an official RP server.  No one stands anything to gain by splitting the party, man.
You keep missing the third long term solution though. Roleplayers designate a new RP server on their own, and consolidate there.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Sig - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 09:27 AM)Vexander Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 09:22 AM)Sig Wrote: (3) Again, the long term solutions here are: (1) convince SE to lift the transfer restriction [and implement alternative population control measures if necessary]; or (2) convince SE to designate an official RP server.  No one stands anything to gain by splitting the party, man.
You keep missing the third long term solution though. Roleplayers designate a new RP server on their own, and consolidate there.

Vex, based on your prior post, I understand that you have tossed all of your eggs in the Maetus basket, and I wish you the best there, and hope that the trend of small RP servers floundering is reversed [by SE designating an official RP server on Maetus, Balmung, or elsewhere, or by the transfer restriction being lifted and everyone coming back into the Balmung fold].

But self-interest colors your proposal; it is not reasonable (or even remotely probable) to expect /thousands/ of RPers who have invested countless of hours on ongoing plots, millions in gil on housing, and have deep-rooted connections to leave Balmung and join a new "unofficial RP server."  This is why you're not seeing a mass exodus of players to Maetus - most will likely limit their activities to "rolling alts" at most to support the community there.

At most, we could be looking a scenario where if SE does not lift the server restriction over 6-12 months, the size/diversity/health of the RP community on both servers declines, and RPers are forced to pick and choose between increasingly stagnate communities.  The RP population - in all of its diversity and size - would basically get chopped in half, thereby chopping in half the frequency of RP, types of RP, diversity of RP, etc. This would be unfortunate on a number of levels for the reasons stated in the OP.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 09:22 AM)Sig Wrote: It doesn't matter where RP'ers play: what matters is that they stick together and consolidate RP in one place (currently Balmung).
Oh my god man. 

WE CANNOT STAY ON BALMUNG BECAUSE IT'S FULL.

That is not going to change. If restrictions are lifted, it'll just get full again and then we're back to having this debate.

And yes, an official designation would be nice. But we don't have one. So we have to make do for now by spreading and growing. That will not hurt the community. At all.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Papajimboh - 05-22-2017

I can't help but think the overall feel of this thread is a bit greedy. How ridiculous would this sound if you applied the same logic to a number of any other similar situations? 

A large city insisting on only keeping one high-school that way they have the best sports teams, and just ignoring all the other issues it causes along with that. 

Or a continent insisting on everyone forming one large country instead of splitting up. 

The bottom line is people absolutely will choose servers other than Balmung for their own reasons. Some people simply like the "small town" feel smaller pop servers offer. Or they may have another reason entirely for choosing their server. Across many MMOs, lots of people choose a server based on a specific FC/guild/group they find, prioritizing that over the server itself. 

You won't be able to corral everyone in spite of how badly you'd like to, so it seems much more prudent to help the smaller communities grow instead of trying to make them feel like they are killing the community by not assimilating into the Borg.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Anehki - 05-22-2017

I have to agree with Vexander, we have a golden opportunity here with the free transfers, and fresh servers, we could easily convince RPers to move to the new EU servers coming out in 4.X: http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/7031c8b817c28ac6903490d80964321690505ee8

with perks like keeping your FC, levelling bonuses and more, it's really a once in a while opportunity, and I'm quite certain like EU players have put up with an NA datacentre for a long time, there will be some NA players who wouldn't mind doing the same the other way around. Imagine, tons of free housing for RP, lots of empty canvas to paint our ideal Eorzea Big Grin We can make this a large community! I strongly suggest if anyone is interested to vote on the poll here: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=19399 to help our cause for a server on the EU data centre. Like on other games, RP can exist on multiple servers, it can also consolidate, both can be successful.

I would love to see our new home open to an international community just like it is on Balmung currently, and to make new friends with all of you. <3 Smile But just as I ask you to come join us, I perfectly understand those who love their home, and their more comfortabel ping measurements, just like we over in the EU are trying to achieve with this EU datacentre.

here is looking forward to Jolly co-operation in the Roleplay community! ^^

(05-22-2017, 09:34 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 09:22 AM)Sig Wrote: It doesn't matter where RP'ers play: what matters is that they stick together and consolidate RP in one place (currently Balmung).
Oh my god man. 

That is not going to change. If restrictions are lifted, it'll just get full again and then we're back to having this debate.

We can certainly all stay on Balmung and encourage SE to alleviate any server population issue by either reversing the transfer ban (and implementing alternative population control measures if needed) or designating an official RP server.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say this is the most probable scenario at the present time [see topic 3 in the OP].

I think it's unfortunate that some users seem to think that SE are demi-gods incapable of modifying their product to meet consumer demands.  I suspect we could get an official RP server designated within 2 months if there was an organized and dedicated effort. But, instead, most appear content to "wait and see" or operate under the false assumption that multiple unofficial RP server designations will not increase stagnation while decreasing the frequency and diversity of RP. This is unfortunate.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Vexander - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 09:33 AM)Sig Wrote:

Vex, based on your prior post, I understand that you have tossed all of your eggs in the Maetus basket, and I wish you the best there, and hope that the trend of small RP servers floundering is reversed [by SE designating an official RP server on Maetus, Balmung, or elsewhere, or by the transfer restriction being lifted and everyone coming back into the Balmung fold].

Not all of my eggs, no. I still have a character on Balmung. However, I am actively focusing my efforts on Mateus. That is not coloring my proposal. I've done my homework and have backup plans if things don't work out. Sure it'd suck, but a RP'er is prepared.

I agree, its not reasonable to -expect- thousands of RP'ers to pick up shop and move server. Its best for those who can, those without connections and housing, to do so.

Alternatively, I do not believe its reasonable for you to -expect- hundreds of RP'ers to pick up shop and move onto an overcrowded server where there is NO chance to rebuild their FCs due to lack of housing in the extreme. It is more reasonable to ask people to leave Balmung, than to join it, at this point, and I think you're outright ignoring that fact, on purpose. That is the major flaw in the premise of this thread, and is the reason so few individuals agree with it.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Flynn Rosenberg - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 09:40 AM)Sig Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 09:34 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote:
Oh my god man. 

We can certainly all stay on Balmung and encourage SE to alleviate any server population issue by either reversing the transfer ban (and implementing alternative population control measures if needed) or designating an official RP server.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say this is the most probably scenario at the present time [see topic 3 in the OP].

I think it's unfortunate that some users seem to think that SE are demi-gods incapable of modifying their product to consumer demands.  I suspect we could get an official RP server designated within 2 months if there was an organized and dedicated effort.
Then go for it already. An official designation somewhere would be fantastic. But right now, we need to focus on getting people where they want to be.

I would join people on the OF but my account has a lifetime ban for a simple meme.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Anehki - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 09:44 AM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: Then go for it already. An official designation somewhere would be fantastic. But right now, we need to focus on getting people where they want to be.

I would join people on the OF but my account has a lifetime ban for a simple meme.

I just want to chip in and say, the whole reason we have Balmung is because they refused us RP server tags back at Launch, they have told us they were never gonna do it in a live letter back then if I recall, as we fought very hard back then for it on the beta forums.

But I'm with Flynn on this also, the servers only been getting fuller and fuller, and not even nescessarily due to RPers either, the situation won't change.

RE: The Importance of Consolidating RP on Balmung and Having One RP Hub - Papajimboh - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 09:38 AM)Anehki Wrote:

I have to agree with Vexander, we have a golden opportunity here with the free transfers, and fresh servers, we could easily convince RPers to move to the new EU servers coming out in 4.X: http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/7031c8b817c28ac6903490d80964321690505ee8

with perks like keeping your FC, levelling bonuses and more, it's really a once in a while opportunity, and I'm quite certain like EU players have put up with an NA datacentre for a long time, there will be some NA players who wouldn't mind doing the same the other way around. Imagine, tons of free housing for RP, lots of empty canvas to paint our ideal Eorzea Big Grin We can make this a large community! I strongly suggest if anyone is interested to vote on the poll here: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=19399 to help our cause for a server on the EU data centre. Like on other games, RP can exist on multiple servers, it can also consolidate, both can be successful.

I would love to see our new home open to an international community just like it is on Balmung currently, and to make new friends with all of you. <3 Smile But just as I ask you to come join us, I perfectly understand those who love their home, and their more comfortabel ping measurements, just like we over in the EU are trying to achieve with this EU datacentre.

here is looking forward to Jolly co-operation in the Roleplay community! ^^

This is an enticing idea as well. My wife and I have been talking about it as an option since the announcement. Our two big concerns, and potentially shared concerns with other players, are these:

1. Obviously, the ping. It may not be a big deal, but what kind of ping would be expected from the central US to EU data centers? As you mentioned, EU players have been playing here for some time, so I'm curious what it was like for those players so I'd know what to expect. 

2. The time zone difference. We typically play most often within the 7pm-11pm timeline during the week, then just whenever on weekends. But that would put EU in the wee hours of the morning, meaning it would potentially split the community a bit due to time differences. That's something that may have been an issue already in reverse on NA servers, but something I'm curious about. 

Also as a side question, can you choose any server on any locations data center on any account? There's no need to create a new account in order to play on EU or JP like in some other games, is there?

Part of the issue is, RP'ers attract non-RP'ers. Crafters love RP'ers because we're insatiable glamour machines willing to dish out millions of gil for the latest outfit. PvE'ers love us because the crafters love us. More crafters come to meet our demands, driving down prices, making it cheaper for PvE'ers to get the latest gear and items for raiding. Griefers love us cause we're an easy target. They might get banned for intentionally screwing up a raid, but, 'Harassment,' is a gray area where SE is concerned, so Trolls feel safer targeting us.

I've always felt that RP'ers are the backbone, the glue of most servers. This is why we really need more than one new unofficial RP server, though I'm happy to see one selected for now and see what the future brings.