Hydaelyn Role-Players
How this would work? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: How this would work? (/showthread.php?tid=19476)

How this would work? - yhvh13 - 05-21-2017

I'm very new to FF14 roleplaying (but not to RP at all), and in the other games I've RPed, I always went for a specific type of character. I'm trying to read everything lore I can to see if it's possible, but not yet found such a thing, so I was wondering if I could get some help if one of these concepts are viable somehow according to established lore:

1) A spellcaster that is an illusionist.

2) A spellcaster that is a dancer - using moves to create magical effects - much like Dancer job in other titles.

I'm not yet RPing, still getting around the game in an OOC level first, so it will take a bit to get me there - in the meantime, I'm trying to plan my character.

RE: How this would work? - L'ohba Tia - 05-21-2017

Illusion magic is a thing, but not something heavily emphasized by any of the magic schools available to players. They're used most heavily by the Sylph beastmen, but not exclusively, so that shouldn't stop you from using something similar on your character. There's an entire country of scholars and mages called Sharlayan that has access to all sorts of different magic types, so your character could easily be from there.

Dancers as they exist in past titles aren't a thing in the lore yet, but you can very easily just say that you use magicks as you dance. They don't have to be tied into each other, but if you do want to tie your magic to your dancing then you can look at conjury. Conjury requires meditation, so you might say that dancing puts your character into a sort of meditative state that lets them use those magicks more effectively.

RE: How this would work? - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-21-2017

For the most part, illusion magic is generally done by beast tribes, voidsent (like imps), and monsters. But we do have galmours in game, which seem to hint that people could use some form of them too.

Sounsyy is our resident loremonger on the RPC and has a large collection of posts with lore. For your uses, you may like these ones:

Aether and Magic Lore Compilation Index
Conjury and White Magic Lore Index
Schools of Magic, Mechanics of Casting, and Aether Sources
Sharlayan Lore Compilation

In my own RP, I've tried to justify Arcanima as a possible method for glamour magic, as out of the various schools of magic, an Arcanist casts using spellbooks filled with various geometries written in aether-conductive ink. Surely there must be a way to modify the spell then? Conjury comes off as more like a relationship with nature and Thaumaturgy (at least from 2.0 onwards) comes off as more raw power. 

Like other thematic jobs that aren't in FFXIV, there could come a time that they are implemented. I'd advise caution using any sort of named job and use more generic terms or something a little more personalized so that you're covered should a Dancer or Illusionist job ever be implemented. While the game provides a LOT of lore and details on things, it doesn't provide everything and leaves a fair amount to interpretation and ready for extrapolation. I'd venture  to say that if you can provide a good reason for the abilities your character uses, most people will be willing to roll with it.

RE: How this would work? - yhvh13 - 05-21-2017

(05-21-2017, 11:58 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: For the most part, illusion magic is generally done by beast tribes, voidsent (like imps), and monsters. But we do have galmours in game, which seem to hint that people could use some form of them too.

Sounsyy is our resident loremonger on the RPC and has a large collection of posts with lore. For your uses, you may like these ones:

Aether and Magic Lore Compilation Index
Conjury and White Magic Lore Index
Schools of Magic, Mechanics of Casting, and Aether Sources
Sharlayan Lore Compilation

In my own RP, I've tried to justify Arcanima as a possible method for glamour magic, as out of the various schools of magic, an Arcanist casts using spellbooks filled with various geometries written in aether-conductive ink. Surely there must be a way to modify the spell then? Conjury comes off as more like a relationship with nature and Thaumaturgy (at least from 2.0 onwards) comes off as more raw power. 

Like other thematic jobs that aren't in FFXIV, there could come a time that they are implemented. I'd advise caution using any sort of named job and use more generic terms or something a little more personalized so that you're covered should a Dancer or Illusionist job ever be implemented. While the game provides a LOT of lore and details on things, it doesn't provide everything and leaves a fair amount to interpretation and ready for extrapolation. I'd venture  to say that if you can provide a good reason for the abilities your character uses, most people will be willing to roll with it.

Thank you! This was very helpful!