Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] RP Racism? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] RP Racism? (/showthread.php?tid=19475)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: RP Racism? - LiadansWhisper - 11-02-2017

I don't usually agree with Kieron on much, but...

That's seriously the dumbest thing I've ever heard, Staccato. I'd avoid that player in the future. They sound like a manipulative dumbass.

Also, if people are heavily judging you because you can't keep up with chat scroll at large events, they're dumbasses, too.

RE: RP Racism? - Zhavi - 11-02-2017

I'd put that down to inappropriately incorporating modern buzzwords into your rp. I think most people wind up tossing colloquialisms into the pile, it's pretty inevitable, but I think there's some wisdom in avoiding socio-political trends irl with people you don't know well or have never rped with before.

That said, I think also taking things with a grain of salt is good. Rather than immediately blacklisting, if the person otherwise seemed like a decent sort, I'd open a dialogue with them. Why did they use that particular phrase? Sometimes people can be clumsy with rping sensitive subjects, especially if they've never really written them before, and their good intentions get mixed up in poor word choices and unintentionally coming across like some clodhopper.

So, imo, talking to them was a good way to handle it -- and you know, if you think they're worth keeping contact with, there is no reason why you can't come back to the topic in the future. Who knows, maybe it'll lead to some growth on how to handle rp racism, and why and how the various racial/species groups in Hydaelyn feel the way they do about each other, and how they come across to each other.

But if they wind up becoming more of a butt, toss them to the curb, yo, and focus on people who improve your rp experience. Smile

RE: RP Racism? - Casanova Sandwich - 11-05-2017

(11-01-2017, 12:33 PM)Staccato Wrote: Once things had cleared a little at the event, the new miqo friend asked my character about how she felt about her "midlander privelege".
 I was just reading along with the thread and nodding along until reading this particular scenario made me squint. To be quite honest, I'm quite curious myself; how on Earth (Hydaelyn?) would she think that's a thing anywhere culturally? And why would she randomly ask about it? I think it's the quest "It's Not Easy Being Green" where there's a couple that's faced tension for being a Miqo'te and a Hyur(?), but that's pretty much all I recall about stuff like that between Hyur and Miqo'te in specific.

Otherwise, Midlander what? Immediately, I find myself absurdly curious, even moreso than confused (probably because I roleplay a character is half Ishgardian Elezen, the other half being Hyur, so he's been openly called a "half-breed" by even well-meaning characters in IC dialogue, not to mention the irony that much of the racism he's gotten from PC's so far has been from ""Ishgardian"" Miqo'te, of all races to care for some reason, much less hail from a 95% Elezen city, lol)... in Heavensward, isn't Hilda's title "The Mongrel" because she's half highborn Elezen, half lowborn Hyur? In fact, I believe there's drastically more highborn Elezen than Hyur. The main four noble houses themselves are all Elezen, anyway.

RE: RP Racism? - Nako Vesh - 11-05-2017

Gridanians don't trust Duskwight or Keepers of the Moon much. Some of that is covered in the Lancer and Archer story lines. My character certainly has bias toward Keepers.

(11-01-2017, 12:33 PM)Staccato Wrote: Once things had cleared a little at the event, the new miqo friend asked my character about how she felt about her "midlander privelege".

There's no way this wasn't a "joke." I mean a very bad and tired joke, but likely not meant seriously in any case.

RE: RP Racism? - Kallera - 11-08-2017

Midlanders do not have privilege, afaik. They don't seem to be favored or disliked among the races.

I have a feeling Kall, a duskwight, is going to build a growing racism against anythng garlean, given all the adventures she is going on having something to do with their tech or them doing dastardly things. She doesn't have any ex-garlean friends, I'm not sure how she'd react to one, actually.

As far as miqo'te. well I have seen anything on the level of the duskers's epithets, I've heard miqo'te in general don't like to be called or attributed to "cats". I'm not sure how true that is, but it might be seen as degrading.

RE: RP Racism? - Vyce - 11-13-2017

I'd like to point out... as a Dunesfolk player... that in the city of Ul'Dah the ONLY privileges that can be checked are those of the Lalafell aristocracy, and anyone with "Manderville" in their name.

Being rich in Ul'Dah comes with perks. Being rich and Lalafell in Ul'Dah comes with so much more to the point where one can become complacent in their privilege. Complacency in Ul'Dah leads to an assured death.

RE: RP Racism? - redheadturk - 11-28-2017

(05-25-2017, 06:57 AM)shalebridge Wrote: I mean I RP a Hyur most of the time and my other character is an alt that I rarely RP with who's an Au Ra who WOULD experience prejudice from Ishgardians. Jean also is in a relationship with an Au Ra while also being from Ishgard so I'd imagine that his taste in partners would be met with outright hate. I'm wondering if it would be viewed as heretical to be with an Au Ra in Ishgard?
First off, upvote for the Sailor Moon reference in your avatar. XD Second off, I haven't actually rped in game yet, been working on finishing main story quest for both the base game and HW first before I try to find an rp guild/FC, but as to the subject, before I fantasiaed my primary alt was an Au Ra, and I imagine he was looked down quite a bit during his time in Dragonhead during the MSQ arc there.