Hydaelyn Role-Players
Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Martial Aetheric Manipulation (/showthread.php?tid=19377)

Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Sylentmana - 05-15-2017

So, in developing one of my characters for Samurai I began to wonder more about the use of aetheric manipulation (magic) by Disciples of War. We know that the Disciples of Magic use incantations and/or geometric algorithms to manipulate aether directly and thereby achieve certain results.

However, I was wondering if the martial characters also manipulate aether in their own way, such as to enhance their striking power or speed? In other words, are those flashes of energy during combat more than just fancy game visuals? Are they actual observable phenomena to the characters in the world? I like to think they are not just for my character's development but also because it goes a long way toward explaining why a tiny Lalafel (or any race for that matter) can injure or fell a massive dragon using what should amount to toothpicks by comparison.

So what do you guys think/know about the subject? Is it actually the manipulation of aether or am I just reading to much into video game visuals? Sorry of this has been discussed before. I tried to search for it in the search bar but came up with nothing .

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Virella - 05-15-2017

Have you heard about our lord and saviours the Fist of Rhalgr? I heard they are pretty neat.

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Sylentmana - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 11:56 AM)Virella Wrote: Have you heard about our lord and saviours the Fist of Rhalgr? I heard they are pretty neat.

I know monks and dark knights have some capacity for aetheric manipulation, but I'm curious to know if the other martial classes are also capable of such feats.

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - L'ohba Tia - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 12:00 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: I know monks and dark knights have some capacity for aetheric manipulation, but I'm curious to know if the other martial classes are also capable of such feats.

Ninja obviously use magic.
I'd imagine Dragoon jumps require some manipulation of aether, but I'm not sure if there's a hard confirmation on that.
Bards are using magic when they sing.
Warriors are using very similar abilities to Dark Knights, but focused on rage.
Gladiators and Paladins are both using magic in at least some of their abilities. Flash, for instance, requires the user to focus aether at the tip of their blade.
Machinists don't manipulate their aether on their own, but the aetheroconverter does it for them.

(05-15-2017, 12:10 PM)Lohba Tia Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 12:00 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: I know monks and dark knights have some capacity for aetheric manipulation, but I'm curious to know if the other martial classes are also capable of such feats.

Ninja obviously use magic.
I'd imagine Dragoon jumps require some manipulation of aether, but I'm not sure if there's a hard confirmation on that.
Bards are using magic when they sing.
Warriors are using very similar abilities to Dark Knights, but focused on rage.
Gladiators and Paladins are both using magic in at least some of their abilities. Flash, for instance, requires the user to focus aether at the tip of their blade.
Machinists don't manipulate their aether on their own, but the aetheroconverter does it for them.

Thanks for the response. I've focused so much on spell casters that I'm afraid I know little of martial classes.

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Kilieit - 05-15-2017

There is, yeah. They draw aether from their "inner dragon" to enhance their combat - the Azure Dragoon doubly so, because they also draw from the Eye of Nidhogg. I mention the Azure Dragoon because although there are/were only 2 in the span of the game (Estinien and the WoL), that's... what the in-game abilities are based around: being the WoL Azure Dragoon.

Lancers are another matter, though. I will say that Life Surge is a LNC ability, and that must be aetheric - which opens the door for other LNC abilities being the same.

Regarding the example in OP - Samurai - I think it's extremely likely that the bulk of its in-game abilities will, like the Ninja abilities, focus on the storing and release of aether in order to enhance combat:

Frankfurt FanFest 2017 Keynote Wrote:The overall battle system will consist of multiple far eastern swordplay techniques from the realm of Hingashi, such as iai.
Those swordplay techniques consist of two main points.
The first is the art of "sen".
The SAM will chain together 3 sen forces - setsu, getsu, and ka - to unleash powerful attacks.
The second battle point circles around the SAM's ability to store energy in his katana.
Once the gauge is full, the SAM will be unable to unlock special attacks.
There are multiple of these special attacks, and figuring out the perfect timing to unleash them is one of the main things SAM will have to think about in battle.
So, did that give you a better idea of what's going to happen with the SAM job?
(crowd cheers)
So now you have that image in your mind, let's go back to the first video and see if it makes more sense.
(replays the SAM preview vid)
Thank you very much.

--

HOWEVER. In terms of RP, I think you could definitely do a character who fights martially with no aether. You'd just describe it as such in your emotes - that there's no magic fancy sparkly flippies going on. I think it's good practice to describe exactly how you want your character's abilities to be working, anyway, even if it's the same as they appear in-game. And I think it would be interesting to see what shape a character who aspires to stand alongside aether-users without using it themself would take!

Just as you don't have to follow job archetypes to the letter (i.e. just because your character punches things doesn't mean they're [going to be] a Monk), you also don't have to follow class archetypes. Not everyone who wields knives is a Rogues' Guild veteran, and not everyone who picks up a spear is going to use it with aetheric enhancement - even if that turns out to be how the in-game abilities are.

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Sounsyy - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 11:38 AM)Sylentmana Wrote: However, I was wondering if the martial characters also manipulate aether in their own way, such as to enhance their striking power or speed?

People have already kinda answered, so I'll just throw up an older post I made on the topic:

(11-08-2016, 04:14 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: The answer, in short, is yes. Every living being is made up of aether and most of those creatures can, to some extent, weave that aether into magic in some form or fashion. There are of course those who possess less aetherwells (mana) than others and there are some Spoken that are incapable of manipulating it at all or with incredibly low efficiency (pure-blooded Garleans, for example). But every class and job weaves aether into their art in some form or fashion, some more so than others, obviously.

Some examples:
Shoulder Tackle Wrote:A technique used to close distance to an opponent, the practitioner rushes forward and slams an aether-shielded shoulder into the target with concussive force. This move is favored by devotees of Rhalgr for its swift and brutal nature.
Flash Wrote:This technique focuses aether at the tip of a blade, then releases it in a dazzling flare of light. As well as causing temporary blindness, Flash unfailingly draws the foe's attention away from allies and onto oneself.
Geirskogul Wrote:While a dragoon allows the Blood of the Dragon to burn within her veins, she is able to focus her elevated aether into serpentine blasts of energy. It is said that Geirskogul follows the same principle that dragonkind employ to infuse their breath with arcane destruction.

Basic Aetherology
Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:Within all beings - whether it be man, animal, or even plant - does aether flow. It is the spark which grants life to the lifeless. Conversely, death can be said to occur once aether has left a corporeal object. From this it is clear to see why many scholars use the words "life" and "aether" interchangeably. It can be assumed that a young man of sound mind and body will possess a high concentration of aetherial energy in his humours, whereas an older man, or one inflicted with corruption, will not. Some scholars have expanded upon this hypothesis saying that the consumption of food serves not only to fill the belly, but to provide the body with aether lost through exertion.

Aether is not by any means static. It constantly flows though creation, forming currents through earth, water, and air which ensure that life is sustained throughout the world. The stoppage of these currents would be akin to the atrophication of a limb cut off from the heart. Aether is the lifeblood of Hydaelyn, and without it She - and Her children - would perish.

Manipulation of aether in a manner that deviates from its natural tendencies is what scholars call "magic." While the various schools of magic such as thaumaturgy and conjury all employ differing methods to achieve this goal, the basic concept is the same.

A similar, yet more primitive type of aetherial manipulation can also be seen in non-sentient beings. A raptor breathing fire or a biast generating a levin-like shock are all examples of lesser-born creatures utilizing the aether within their bodies or available from the nearby environment to hunt or protect themselves from harm.

(05-15-2017, 01:20 PM)Kilieit Wrote:

There is, yeah. They draw aether from their "inner dragon" to enhance their combat - the Azure Dragoon doubly so, because they also draw from the Eye of Nidhogg. I mention the Azure Dragoon because although there are/were only 2 in the span of the game (Estinien and the WoL), that's... what the in-game abilities are based around: being the WoL Azure Dragoon.

Lancers are another matter, though. I will say that Life Surge is a LNC ability, and that must be aetheric - which opens the door for other LNC abilities being the same.

Regarding the example in OP - Samurai - I think it's extremely likely that the bulk of its in-game abilities will, like the Ninja abilities, focus on the storing and release of aether in order to enhance combat:

Frankfurt FanFest 2017 Keynote Wrote:The overall battle system will consist of multiple far eastern swordplay techniques from the realm of Hingashi, such as iai.
Those swordplay techniques consist of two main points.
The first is the art of "sen".
The SAM will chain together 3 sen forces - setsu, getsu, and ka - to unleash powerful attacks.
The second battle point circles around the SAM's ability to store energy in his katana.
Once the gauge is full, the SAM will be unable to unlock special attacks.
There are multiple of these special attacks, and figuring out the perfect timing to unleash them is one of the main things SAM will have to think about in battle.
So, did that give you a better idea of what's going to happen with the SAM job?
(crowd cheers)
So now you have that image in your mind, let's go back to the first video and see if it makes more sense.
(replays the SAM preview vid)
Thank you very much.

--

HOWEVER. In terms of RP, I think you could definitely do a character who fights martially with no aether. You'd just describe it as such in your emotes - that there's no magic fancy sparkly flippies going on. I think it's good practice to describe exactly how you want your character's abilities to be working, anyway, even if it's the same as they appear in-game. And I think it would be interesting to see what shape a character who aspires to stand alongside aether-users without using it themself would take!

Just as you don't have to follow job archetypes to the letter (i.e. just because your character punches things doesn't mean they're [going to be] a Monk), you also don't have to follow class archetypes. Not everyone who wields knives is a Rogues' Guild veteran, and not everyone who picks up a spear is going to use it with aetheric enhancement - even if that turns out to be how the in-game abilities are.

This is perfect then. This info will definitely come in handy in the finalization of a character. I'm glad to know that enhancing abilities via aether is canon and not lore breaking.

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Arashin Kujqai - 05-24-2017

Keep in mind red magic (from red mages of course) is at this point pretty much assumed to be the use of taking on the use of two types of mana and then applying them to your sword strikes in some manner. Such as striking with your sword and then flames spewing across the land. As well as shooting a slash shockwave off of it using "spell blades". I don't  doubt there's manipulation that can amplify the edge of your sword to pierce harder, strike harder, or even apply an element to your sword's tip. Magic/Aether in general acts in mysterious and weird ways, doesn't seem to be too much stopping you from manipulating it somehow. Just becomes more interesting when you have ways to identify it's workings, like how aether stays attuned to a blade or etc.

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - legend230 - 07-01-2017

One question about the SAM's ability "THird Eye" . Can it be linked with Aether ICly and used to like avoid certain attacks from behind, for example? Like enabling the SAMs to broaden their field of sight, much like the Miraluka from SW who can 'see' in all directions.

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Kieron Lohengrin - 07-11-2017

directly shaping your own aether into weapons is also a thing. thank the padjali for that (and alisaie before she got her rapier)

[Image: OfufBfV.jpg]

RE: Martial Aetheric Manipulation - Aaron - 07-11-2017

Thancred is incapable of using aether and he was going toe to toe with the WoD WAR in HW all anime styled. 

Then you got Rauban (can NEVER spell his fucking name!) Kicking a pillar like a soft ball in 2.0 along with Yugiri doing some Hollywood ninja acrobats.

In short if you're talking about using aether to do stuff like martial flips and have super strength (compared to a human irl) you legit could get away with just being naturally that strong/fast without any aether. Sidurgu from the DRK questline literally throws a two handed sword with one arm several meters as another example.

But if you're referring to trying to jump like a DRG or use Chakras like a monk or any other special abilities you need aether yes.