Hydaelyn Role-Players
NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 (/showthread.php?tid=18935)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Kellach Woods - 04-25-2017

(03-24-2017, 10:21 AM)Kage Wrote: We can't say for sure what the increased ping will be but if they're giving a warning it may be bad.

It may just be to cover their asses when people inevitably complain that it is higher.

It's also to give a warning to people who've been relying on literally "the server is like 20 minutes from my place" ping.

(I'll be sad when that's gone ;.Wink

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Kage - 05-09-2017

Reminder that this is HAPPENING!!! in less than a week. Make sure your gardens aren't going to be affected!!

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Aldotsk - 05-09-2017

Hopes of adding way more wards than before due to this transfer.

That's not happening at all lol

(05-09-2017, 11:50 AM)Kage Wrote: That's not happening at all lol
Figures. When has this game given hopes for players to earn what they want?

Amount of inventory space and Armory Chest space they are giving is pretty small for a "huge" data transfer to another place.

I am just taking a grain of salt from this news.

(05-09-2017, 11:57 AM)Aldotsk Wrote:

Amount of inventory space and Armory Chest space they are giving is pretty small for a "huge" data transfer to another place.

Did you actually read the forum post quote I put in the OP? There's a few good, major reasons for this relocation and upgrade.

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-09-2017

They specifically said in a live letter that the inventory increases we're getting will be scaled based on 4.0 launch performance and stability. It's not a whole lot now, but they plan on increasing it as long as the server strain isn't too bad.

But among other things, moving data centers is a HUGE undertaking. I'm not sure how many people actually understand the scope of this. It's not as simple as a drag and drop of some files. Or just physically moving some servers. The way I see it, they have the ability to expand, which is critical for a game like this.

Some people might remember that when 2.0 launched, they had to do a ton of server architecture adjustments. And then they had to do the same in 3.0. And during all of that, they were also buying additional servers to run this game. Part of the reason their moving is that their current datacenter was full. So full they couldn't let the machines max out because of electrical strain.

To the regular player, they might not even notice what under the hood changes have taken place. But that's also pretty important itself.

(05-09-2017, 01:10 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

They specifically said in a live letter that the inventory increases we're getting will be scaled based on 4.0 launch performance and stability. It's not a whole lot now, but they plan on increasing it as long as the server strain isn't too bad.

But among other things, moving data centers is a HUGE undertaking. I'm not sure how many people actually understand the scope of this. It's not as simple as a drag and drop of some files. Or just physically moving some servers. The way I see it, they have the ability to expand, which is critical for a game like this.

Some people might remember that when 2.0 launched, they had to do a ton of server architecture adjustments. And then they had to do the same in 3.0. And during all of that, they were also buying additional servers to run this game. Part of the reason their moving is that their current datacenter was full. So full they couldn't let the machines max out because of electrical strain.

To the regular player, they might not even notice what under the hood changes have taken place. But that's also pretty important itself.

I get the fact stability is important, such as how HW launch ended up having multiple channels to allow people to get through Central Coerthas Highlands. 

It's just kind of a questionable matter to me for other matters. Since those limitations has caused enough trouble for myself since I am actually running out of space and such.

They did mention via live letter that they are adding couple of spaces first, which I am happy to hear. But I did hope that they'd give a bit more than that for first phase.

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-10-2017

(05-09-2017, 02:11 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: I get the fact stability is important, such as how HW launch ended up having multiple channels to allow people to get through Central Coerthas Highlands. 

It's just kind of a questionable matter to me for other matters. Since those limitations has caused enough trouble for myself since I am actually running out of space and such.

They did mention via live letter that they are adding couple of spaces first, which I am happy to hear. But I did hope that they'd give a bit more than that for first phase.

But they explained why they can't just do that. While I don't think their current method of handling item data is particularly smart (loading all items in on any zone), it does explain why increasing that could potentially scale poorly.

While negligible on a single character, the data used has to scale to every character currently logged in. So while 10 more items on 1 character's nothing, for 10 characters, it becomes 100, and for 100 characters, it becomes 1000. And so on. Any particular zone would need to be able to handle all the characters trying to use an item at the same time (although pretty unlikely) which could cause some pretty severe packet congestion and affect gameplay.

...it'd be a fun thought experiment to give everyone at the Grindstone some fireworks and have them light them all at the same time to see how it'd affect the server.

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Kage - 05-11-2017

Quote:Q28: There was an announcement regarding inventory slot expansion, but we would like to know which inventory (inventory/Armoury chest) is being increased and by how much!

A28: We received comments that the Armoury chest and inventory could not be expanded due to PS3 limitations, but the two are separate issues. When players move areas or go into instances, all item data is being moved along with the character, so if we were to add additional item slots without much thought, the amount of data being transferred could become ridiculous, network usage would skyrocket, and servers could go down.

With this in mind, in Patch 4.0 we will implement the first inventory expansion, take a look at the state of the servers, then prepare for additional expansions.

The Armoury chest will receive 10 extra slots for each category of equipment, while the item inventory will be increased by 40 slots.

* During the stream we showed off images of the updated UI.

I am also discussing with our server programmer Kasuga whether we can utilize other methods to efficiently increase inventory space.

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Nisasi - 05-14-2017

I'm honestly concerned how this will affect Australian players. The ping is already finicky to deal with..

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Kilieit - 05-14-2017

This maintenance begins tomorrow/"tonight", depending on how late you usually play! (About 15 hours from now!)

Make sure you get all your weeklies done, because it effectively swallows reset. And make sure your plants are out of the ground.

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Jeanne IX - 05-15-2017

So this is for 48 hours? Man, just as I subbed too! Sad

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Unnamed Mercenary - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 12:06 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: So this is for 48 hours? Man, just as I subbed too! Sad

It is currently in progress. SE is giving people back one day of subscription, which is to account for the NA-only portions of downtime. All the servers will be offline a day, which is pretty normal for datacenter maintenance when SE does them.

RE: NA DC Relocation Info 5/15/17-5/17/17 - Jeanne IX - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 12:31 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 12:06 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: So this is for 48 hours? Man, just as I subbed too! Sad

It is currently in progress. SE is giving people back one day of subscription, which is to account for the NA-only portions of downtime. All the servers will be offline a day, which is pretty normal for datacenter maintenance when SE does them.
That's good to hear! I've noticed Squenix is pretty good with customer relations. The Kingdom Hearts phone game for example has similar apologies to the players that other companies wouldn't do.