Hydaelyn Role-Players
Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) (/showthread.php?tid=18925)

Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - Asunasari - 03-23-2017

Hey all,

As I officially write down my background onto my RPC page, I started to wonder if there was any actual official lore regarding any of the Miqo'te tribes. Google searches don't really turn up with anything, and I think someone said I should be part of the Vulture tribe because I'm a Seeker, or something. Vulture sounds cool anyway, so I went with that. All I really made up about them is that they live deep in the Thanalan, pretty elusive and wary of outsiders. Does anyone have any official sources or even non-canon sources regarding Vulture or any tribes for that matter? Would be curious to read up on them for continuity purposes. Thanks!

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - Sounsyy - 03-23-2017

There's not a ton of canon lore on the individual Seeker tribes (except the U) because while all the Seeker tribes are similar in general, each individual tribe and the many splintered sects of those tribes are all different. What I can give you are a couple relevant links to some info on the tribes in general:

-Race Lore Compilation (Miqo'te)
-Seeker Tribe Distribution (2.3)

Hope this helps!

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - Asunasari - 03-23-2017

(03-23-2017, 02:45 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: There's not a ton of canon lore on the individual Seeker tribes (except the U) because while all the Seeker tribes are similar in general, each individual tribe and the many splintered sects of those tribes are all different. What I can give you are a couple relevant links to some info on the tribes in general:

-Race Lore Compilation (Miqo'te)
-Seeker Tribe Distribution (2.3)

Hope this helps!

Whoa! I'm blown away by the amount of work you put into this! I'm super impressed that you went around and compiled the list of tribal miqo by location, kinda sucks that it was inconclusive, but still...that fact that you actually attempted to figure it out is impressive. I'm coming from ESO, which is lore heavy, and I find much of the lore in Final Fantasy hard to find. Anyway...this little tidbit caught my eye:

"The self-proclaimed Seekers of the Sun are the diurnal clan of the Miqo'te race. Their preference for the warm light of day pervades all aspects of their culture, as is apparent in their devout reverence for Azeyma the Warden, goddess of the sun. Though relatively few in Eorzea, a small number of them have been accepted into everyday life by the other races in the port city of Limsa Lominsa. Others are known to make their home in the region of the Sagolii Desert."

So...would it make sense for a tribe like Vulture to roam the desert? Just based on the name...Vulture...I imagine sort of a nomadic scavenger type of tribe. I'm not sure how much the tribe name correlates to the actual animal, but that was sort of what I was going off of. Also, Seeker of the Sun, the sun being very present in the desert. Would be interested in hearing what you think. Thanks so much!

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - Sounsyy - 03-23-2017

(03-23-2017, 03:05 PM)Asunasari Wrote: So...would it make sense for a tribe like Vulture to roam the desert? Just based on the name...Vulture...I imagine sort of a nomadic scavenger type of tribe. I'm not sure how much the tribe name correlates to the actual animal, but that was sort of what I was going off of. Also, Seeker of the Sun, the sun being very present in the desert. Would be interested in hearing what you think. Thanks so much!

The lore just says that the animal totems "protect the tribe" but I theorize that many of these animals once served as favored food for the hunters, or provided the tribes with pelts, meats, carved bone charms, and the like for trade way back in the Fifth Umbral Era. Eventually these precious animals that sustained them through the ravishes of an ice age would "protect" the tribe through hard times later.

In my own headcanoned tribal mythos for a seafaring sect of the Raptor tribe, I made various aspects of the tribe inspired by Raptor motifs. For example, their pirate ships would use raptor hunting tactics or "clever girl" tactics as I like to call them. They would utilize raptor leather more frequently, paint their ships/bodies with faint raptor stripes. Stuff like that.

So if you want to make a sect of the Vulture tribe living in the Sagolii being scavengers, I say go for it! Their clothing has feather adornments. They scavenge ruins out in the Grand Wake to sell scrap to Amajina & Sons, etc. Have fun with it! ^^

Miqo'te Naming Conventions Wrote:In the mass exodus which occurred during the Fifth Umbral Era, 26 Seeker of the Sun tribes crossed the seas (which had frozen solid as a result of the Calamity) to Eorzea in search of food and warmer climates. The names of these tribes contained many sounds which were difficult to represent with the existing Eorzean alphabet; but the fact that there were the same exact number of tribes as letters in the Eorzean alphabet was taken as a sign that they were destined to make the new realm their home, and so assigned each tribe with a letter/sound that was closest to its name. Over time, this resulted in the changing of the pronunciation to more closely resemble the pronunciation of the Eorzean letter than that of the original word.

The tribe names are originally based on traditional beastkin, scalekin, or cloudkin totems, which are said to protect the tribe.

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - X'shah Zinbhe - 03-24-2017

Hey there!

Sounsyy has the right idea. I play a sect/sept of the Lynx tribe that are a group of religious families wandering the Sagolii in the harshest of Azeyma's conditions to obtain enlightenment. They're a pretty fierce bunch, you might notice a few around as they have signature bright eyes and there's quite a significant amount of role-play involved where others identify the bunch as "dune witches" or "dune plague" or "dune rot" as they occupy not just the dunes but thrive in the tombs of the desert as well. We jokingly call ourselves "Xealots" as well, considering the strict religious caste and nature of the sect/sept.

I daresay they don't give the Lynx a good name, but it what it is and I'm fairly sure some would rather call it a sub-tribe at this point. They stubbornly hang on trying to obtain favor with Azeyma for the tribe!

I did a small blurb about them on my wiki awhile back, so you could take this approach! The small group of role-players involves in this sept have a bit more of a comprehensive creative "lore" guide involving the player-made little sept.

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - C'kayah Polaali - 03-24-2017

This isn't canon, but a bunch of people came up with some really comprehensive material for the Coeurl tribe, and some of us C-tribe folks use it for our tribal background.

Edit: I'm not throwing this in here to say "Be a Coeurl, not a stupid Vulture!". Instead, I'm just pointing out some of the player-developed lore that's around, in case you're interested in taking some inspiration from it.

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - C'io Behkt - 03-24-2017

Haha, and just to exhibit Sounssey's philosophy on that, C'io's Coeurl tribe is totally different from the one C'kayah linked, and that's all perfectly okay, Wink. A fun place to look for tribe/sect personality is the Xaela tribe list. When it first came out, I tried to see what people's fun headcanons were for their own Seeker tribes here --

-- Seeker Tribes with Fan-Made Xaela-Style Lore

Have fun with your Vulture. Maybe, like the comprehensive Coeurl page, you'll find others wanting to use your interpretation in future. And even if they don't, being an outlier can be fun too!

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - Saravahn - 03-24-2017

To add to what others have already said, a bit of personal headcanon here... I've always played it as the tribes "settled" around the areas where their particular animal is "abundant".

So C tribe being couerls would be in the La Noscea areas. 
U tribe being drakes makes sense being down in the Sagolii where there are a fair number of drakes.
B tribe being boar would be over and around the Urth's Gift area.

etc.

*shrug* Just thought I'd share. Smile

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - Asunasari - 03-25-2017

Thanks for the replies!

The thing is, she's not really tribal as she was taken away from Vulture by her father when she was a baby. She was taken to Limsa and raised there, so she was born in a tribe but considers herself Limsan as she doesn't know much about her tribe. She has more of a Hyur/Lala name and not so much Miqo. The background info helps though!

RE: Miqo'te Tribes (Vulture) - Otte - 03-27-2017

Otte is originally from the Vulture, and his version of the tribe is a tiny nomad group, wandering from place to place in Thanalan, following the herds of different prey as seasons change! I never realised to add more 'Vulture'-like lore to them, maybe I should've made them more scavengers...

Like people have posted though, there is much personal lore players have added to their respective tribes, there is probably even large differences between tribes using the same name, so the best option is to just go with what makes sense to the character's background Smile