Hydaelyn Role-Players
RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=18784)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Obsidian - 04-10-2017

Consider how they handle black mage and white mage, i agree on it will be very vague of it's lore just to add for the sake of fanservice. But, i be optimistic about that the class RDM is from Sharlayan actually.

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Vokcas - 04-10-2017

Well we know Sharlayan use to open it's doors and teach around the world, let alone many flocked to it's gates. Likely what happens going into the next expansion is Red Mage hails from Ali Migho however the craft was learnt from Sharlayan similar to Astro. 

Vok~

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Kilieit - 04-10-2017

Remember Sharlayans forbid by law the teaching of disciplines of war to outsiders. It's easy to think of them as peaceful teachers of knowledge, but they're not - they're isolationists who avoid having a hand in the outcome of a given war, even indirectly (by way of teaching one of its sides a new discipline). They would much rather stand by, watch thousands of people die, then write it all down. So although there were many classes available to foreign students, classes in astromancy were not among them.

If RDM is Sharlayan in origin, I strongly doubt lessons in it would be freely available to outsiders, either - especially with renewed hostilities between Eorzea and Garlemald. It'd place it in the same position as AST, where non-Sharlayan characters who want to say they know it need to have a strong justification for how they came into possession of a restricted soul crystal.

I kind of hope it's a fresh discipline, like MCH, that's being developed by Eorzeans. But I guess we'll see? I don't really know where I think it's likely to come from...

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Sounsyy - 04-10-2017

inb4 RDM is a WoL exclusive because they're literally the only canon, living practitioner of both White and Black Magic. We'll be given a soul crystal by some excited Gyr Abanian archaeologist who recently made the discovery that during the mass exodus to the Gyr Abanian highlands to escape the floods of the Sixth Umbral Calamity, Amdapori White Mages and Mhachi Black Mages put aside their differences and combined forces during the early Sixth Astral Era mage purge to fight off persecutors. However, the art was lost to time as living practitioners of both magical schools finally died out. /endtheorycrafting

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - TK Hikaru - 04-10-2017

I really wish Square would give us SOMETHING, ANYTHING on lore about Red Mage.

We've gotten so much on Samurai that it's not even funny and it's kind of unfair.

My own personal theory is that it's origins are from Gyr Abania. Maybe not from Ala Mhigo directly, but definitely in the Gyr Abanian area.

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Star Lin - 04-11-2017

I'm hoping it will be from the Gyr Abanian area as I'm already directed John's adoptive father may be a Red Mage.  Just have to hope that some lore on RDM will finally start slipping out now that a bit of Samurai has come out.

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Virella - 04-13-2017

On the eastern edge of Abalathia's Spine lies the mountainous region of Gyr Abania.

It is in these elevated lands that people took shelter, when a burning star guided them away from the Sixth Umbral Calamity's treacherous floodwaters. The survivors gathered from near and far, and amongst them were refugees of the sorcerous cities of Mhach and Amdapor.

These sworn enemies buried their history for the sake of the future, and cast aside their vestments of black and white. Upon the remnants of their arts a new discipline was built, and the first red mages stepped forward with rapiers in hand to fight back against the rising tides of destruction.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/stormblood/system/#newjob

Also holy shit I might be right about Mhachi being the ancestors of the Ala Mhigans o_O

Also rising tides of destruction? I'm looking way too far into it, but is that directed towards the FoR or just Ala Mhigans being dumb and fighting one another constantly? Monk and FoR both seem to have started appear around the Sixth Astral Era. SO MANY QUESTIONS ARGGGHGHGH

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - LiadansWhisper - 04-13-2017

(04-13-2017, 04:35 AM)Virella Wrote: On the eastern edge of Abalathia's Spine lies the mountainous region of Gyr Abania.

It is in these elevated lands that people took shelter, when a burning star guided them away from the Sixth Umbral Calamity's treacherous floodwaters. The survivors gathered from near and far, and amongst them were refugees of the sorcerous cities of Mhach and Amdapor.

These sworn enemies buried their history for the sake of the future, and cast aside their vestments of black and white. Upon the remnants of their arts a new discipline was built, and the first red mages stepped forward with rapiers in hand to fight back against the rising tides of destruction.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/stormblood/system/#newjob

Also holy shit I might be right about Mhachi being the ancestors of the Ala Mhigans o_O

Mhachi and Amdapor.

(04-10-2017, 05:37 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: inb4 RDM is a WoL exclusive because they're literally the only canon, living practitioner of both White and Black Magic. We'll be given a soul crystal by some excited Gyr Abanian archaeologist who recently made the discovery that during the mass exodus to the Gyr Abanian highlands to escape the floods of the Sixth Umbral Calamity, Amdapori White Mages and Mhachi Black Mages put aside their differences and combined forces during the early Sixth Astral Era mage purge to fight off persecutors. However, the art was lost to time as living practitioners of both magical schools finally died out. /endtheorycrafting

Sounsyy, it's time to come clean...do you work for SE? LaughLaughLaugh

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Virella - 04-13-2017

Yes, Liadan, I didn't predict that one about the Amdapor. So I'm not going to make claims that I did. Hence why I left it out. Thank you for your unnecessary 'correcting' because there was zero need for it. But keep passive aggressive snarking on if it makes you happy.

Anyhow~ Hopefully benchmark soon to come! I'm wondering how much they will show off from RDM and SAM this time around. I don't think they really did much with AST/MCH/DRK in the HW ones? Beyond a few basic abilities, not nothing special such as their LBs?

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - LiadansWhisper - 04-13-2017

(04-13-2017, 04:56 AM)Virella Wrote: Yes, Liadan, I didn't predict that one about the Amdapor. So I'm not going to make claims that I did. Hence why I left it out. Thank you for your unnecessary 'correcting' because there was zero need for it. But keep passive aggressive snarking on if it makes you happy.

I wasn't being passive aggressive, nor was I being snarky. Amdapor is a favorite subject of mine and I'm tickled to see it included.

Please don't read things into my words that aren't there. I have no idea why you're trying to start a fight over something this silly.

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Aaron - 04-13-2017

Sincerely, a salty ass tank.

Fuck you guys and your trashy DPS classes favoritism from SE.

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Sounsyy - 04-13-2017

(04-13-2017, 04:41 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Sounsyy, it's time to come clean...do you work for SE?

You caught me.

[Image: unmasking.gif]

...or did you. Please look forward to the answer... in 5.0!

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Teadrinker - 04-13-2017

Welp. 10 points to Sounsyydor. Who predicted that almost verbatim like seriously if SE has you under an NDA you probably violated it lol. Big Grin

But anyway...

Flamboyant, tuxedo wearing mages from....the harsh mountains where they can barely grow food I'm Dodgy

[Image: Aa7uCu4.jpg]

Suit must be made out of sheeps wool or something. The lore of how they traveled to the Gyr Abania area seems to be the same but if they = Ala Mhigo then...I guess RIP any Monk lore people thought they would get in favor of the shiny new toy? >_>;

My guess would be they are their own subset of people but honestly the fact they are even from this area is honestly a little bonkers to me. Magic and science is something you focus on when not every hour of your day is going to basic survival which is what this area has just touted since it's inception. Bleh. I'm sure they'll find a way to inject it though...

Inject being the operative word.

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Aaron - 04-13-2017

That is a very dapper dressed RDM Lalafell

RE: RDM Lore Hypotheses and Discussion - Gegenji - 04-13-2017

(04-13-2017, 08:01 AM)Aaron Wrote: That is a very dapper dressed RDM Lalafell
RDMs are pretty dapper in general. It's kind of their thing.