Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] New RPC Chat Room Ideas - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] New RPC Chat Room Ideas (/showthread.php?tid=18627)

New RPC Chat Room Ideas - Gegenji - 02-22-2017

With the advent of the updated chat room, we're now able to be in multiple rooms at once. Even prior to the update, there were other chat rooms available - both OOC and IC chats - that were never utilized since it meant leaving the "Main Chat" and missing any conversation going on there. But now things have changed, and now a user can be in up to three chats at once. And can even make their own chats for even more utility!

And so, it's got me thinking - as I am wont to do when I let my mind wander some - about how we can use this new functionality to the fullest. Especially for the RP angle, now that you can be in one without missing anything in the OOC chats. There were a few RP "locales" before prior to this - though many probably never noticed or used them - a generic tavern location, a generic arena-type place for RP combat, and a sort of "field" location.

So... do we just make those again? Do we add more? Do we remove some? Do we even need any since any RP "scenes" could just be in private chats? How do we work with this?

Well, in my musings, I wondered what any "default" or "standard" RP chat room would work in this situation. Should it be a static location (like the Quicksand) - so that people come in know what they're coming into, but also limits who/what can RP there? Or do we leave it a nebulous generic locale (like the previous RP chat rooms) - where the location is determined by whoever's RPing at the time, which both adds freedom but could cause confusion for those coming in?

Each have their pros and cons that I haven't really delved too deeply into. However, it did get me thinking about a "static" location that wasn't static. A location that moves so that it could feasibly be anywhere and, thus, provide the familiarity of a concrete location without also potentially limiting who could RP there based on... well... location.

My idea was:

The Winged Boar - IC Chat room
Stout Drink is a Hellguard bartender who had a dream - to see his drinks served all over Hydaelyn. And, with the backing of an Ul'dahn noble, he's managed to make that dream come true in the most unprecedented of ways: an airship transformed into a flying tavern! Now, wherever you are, you're always just a linkpearl call away from a cool, refreshing drink. As for the name? Stout explains it best - "'s like they told me when I pitched th' idear. 'A flyin' tavern? WHEN PIGS FLY.'"

Basically, it's as I put in my dorky little blurb there - a huge airship that got turned into a mobile tavern. So, even if your character sticks around Limsa or Ishgard or Gridania... they could all still show up at this tavern for RP. And the staff is all NPCs (unless, of course, you want to RP the wait staff!) so you're not needing anyone but you and your RP partner(s) to do a scene there!

And from that, I figured a thread like this would merit existing. While the focus is primarily on what IC RP rooms we, as users, would like to see as part of the "main chat" list... I don't see why OOC ones couldn't be suggested as well. After all, currently we just have a General OOC Chat and one for spoiler-y discussions. Maybe there's something else that those two wouldn't cover.

Voice your thoughts and ideas! And feel free to use my dorky blurb formatting for it if you'd like. Let's really get some use out of the new functionality the new chat widget offers us!