Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Character Creation: Opinions? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Character Creation: Opinions? (/showthread.php?tid=18433)

Character Creation: Opinions? - Amnesic - 02-01-2017

EDIT:I did a more clearer summary of this information, but I have left the older post still up here. I put it all in nested spoilers now, so it should be much easier to read than in one giant essay.
Show Content

Show Content

Any comments, opinions, or suggestions on the new stuff?

RE: Character Creation: Opinions? - GentleGiraffe - 02-03-2017

I think it would be easier to judge if you told us about the character from your perspective as a writer, not through the biased reports of a high-society news write-up. If you want us to give you suggestions regarding the lore and the like, we'll simply need more concrete information.

Also, I'm not sure if "‘long and fair’ hairstyles as well as the clean cut suits" would really apply as an older style of fashion in any of the three main city-states, never mind Ul'dah. Ishgardian nobles still wear those, and from dungeon drops it seems Sharlayan fashion is heavily based on that as well, so I'm unsure to whose past his clothes are an allusion to.

RE: Character Creation: Opinions? - Amnesic - 02-03-2017

(02-03-2017, 08:31 AM)GentleGiraffe Wrote: I think it would be easier to judge if you told us about the character from your perspective as a writer, not through the biased reports of a high-society news write-up. If you want us to give you suggestions regarding the lore and the like, we'll simply need more concrete information.

Also, I'm not sure if "‘long and fair’ hairstyles as well as the clean cut suits" would really apply as an older style of fashion in any of the three main city-states, never mind Ul'dah. Ishgardian nobles still wear those, and from dungeon drops it seems Sharlayan fashion is heavily based on that as well, so I'm unsure to whose past his clothes are an allusion to.

Thanks for the reply; I have already realized in hindsight that this format is not going to work terribly well on its own. I have been working on a better and more clear summary for this, and it's almost done, but I currently don't have access to it.

On the terms the style, that's one of the things I needed to get a check on. I'm not exactly too well versed in all of the lore, general aristocracy of the world being one of my weaker places. I mostly went off of what I can remember seeing in Ul'dah, so I'll definitely have to fix that part.

RE: Character Creation: Opinions? - GentleGiraffe - 02-03-2017

(02-03-2017, 03:10 PM)Amnesic Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 08:31 AM)GentleGiraffe Wrote: I think it would be easier to judge if you told us about the character from your perspective as a writer, not through the biased reports of a high-society news write-up. If you want us to give you suggestions regarding the lore and the like, we'll simply need more concrete information.

Thanks for the reply; I have already realized in hindsight that this format is not going to work terribly well on its own. I have been working on a better and  more clear summary for this, and it's almost done, but I currently don't have access to it.

On the terms the style, that's one of the things I needed to get a check on. I'm not exactly too well versed in all of the lore, general aristocracy of the world being one of my weaker places.  I mostly went off of what I can remember seeing in Ul'dah, so I'll definitely have to fix that part.

Ul'dah is a city of merchants and thaumaturges, descended from the mage city of Belah'dia, so you'll find a lot more desert clothes and mage robes in its pasts thn clean-cut suits. There's nothing stopping your character from wearing them though, seeing that they exist and appear in several quests and NPCs.

RE: Character Creation: Opinions? - Solenne - 02-03-2017

"Duke of the Isles?" What isles are we talking about? There are various isles in or near Eorzea (Sharlayan is an island city-state, for example), but none that would be controlled by a duke.

If you want to play an Ishgardian noble, your choices are vicount or baron. There are also counts in Ishgard, but only four of them, and we already know who they are. The higher real-world French ranks of marquis and duke don't exist in Ishgard, or anywhere else in Eorzea, seemingly.

Note also that Ishgard is the only city-state we know of that has a true nobility. Gridania seems to have a class of important people who get their own little part of the city to live in (I refer to them as the gentry for lack of a better term), but the city is governed by the Seedseers. Ul'dah is a sultanate, but the wealthy and powerful people there are the monetarists. Limsa Lominsa is led by an Admiral, so the closest thing to a noble class there would be naval officers, I suspect.

If you're playing a character from a made-up, faraway land on some other continent, then I suppose you could hold onto the duke and marquis titles, although some RPers might raise their eyebrows at you. I suggest you name his homeland something other than "the Isles" though, because again, what isles? And if your character is from a land far away from Eorzea, it doesn't make much sense that your character would know Eorzean beast tribe languages, especially if his appearance in Eorzea has been "rather sudden." Most Eorzeans don't even know beast tribe languages, because why would they? Beastmen are considered subhuman by most Eorzeans. And note also that we don't have any idea whether these tribes even have written languages.

I would study up on the lore a little bit and ask some questions to flesh out your character, if I were you. I think you can make your general character concept work, but if you're going to RP in the gray areas of the lore, it's helpful to be very familiar with it first.

Edit: I did some thinking after concluding this post, and it occurred to me from your character concept and the style in which you introduced it that you're going with an almost regency romance kind of vibe for your character. That can work, but it does have to be adapted to the game's lore. I did something similar with Solenne, who is a wealthy Gridanian aristocrat. She has many of the accomplishments and life experiences that a regency romance heroine would have, but she is also shaped by the fantasy-based environment of FFXIV.

(Duplicate post)

RE: Character Creation: Opinions? - Amnesic - 02-03-2017

(02-03-2017, 05:23 PM)Solenne Wrote:
Show Content

Ah, apologies! This was something I meant to have clarified: the "Isles" are not exactly really anything but flavor with a little bit homage to how he obtained his fortune; the title of Duke and Marquis are entirely made up by him and serve only to enhance his appearance to the public. It's a bit confusing in this format, I really do apologize; I'll get the more clear summary up as soon as I can. It is somewhat a mix of regency romance with a little inspiration from The Count of Monte Cristo, but with less of the imprisonment, dishonor, and revenge.

On the terms of beastmen languages, I know that at least Amaljic language is written because I remember there being a step of a quest where you have to get someone to translate for you. He has had this fortune for a while, but he has only decided to publicly show himself now, would it be too unlikely that he spent some of his time studying it and the other languages? In the meantime, I need to find myself some information on the various aristocracies.

RE: Character Creation: Opinions? - Sounsyy - 02-03-2017

(02-03-2017, 05:23 PM)Solenne Wrote: If you want to play an Ishgardian noble, your choices are vicount or baron. There are also counts in Ishgard, but only four of them, and we already know who they are. The higher real-world French ranks of marquis and duke don't exist in Ishgard, or anywhere else in Eorzea, seemingly.
(02-03-2017, 06:34 PM)Amnesic Wrote: The "Isles" are not exactly really anything but flavor with a little bit homage to how he obtained his fortune; the title of Duke and Marquis are entirely made up by him and serve only to enhance his appearance to the public.

Your story, even down to the name of your Duke, actually reminds me of an actual existing npc and his story from the 1.0 version of the game. It gave me a good laugh the first time I read through this. Allow me to introduce to you, Ishgard's Duke Brett V:

Dream a Little Bream Wrote:As he does once every moon, Ishgardian noble Duke Brett V will soon be arriving in Limsa Lominsa to conduct a routine inspection of the many export and import warehouses he maintains in the thalassocracy. And, as always, he has requested the Bismarck to prepare three servings of his favorite dish, braised bream with aurelia cream sauce, for each day of his one-week stay. To prepare for this unorthodox order, the Culinarians' Guild is seeking adventurers to travel to Bloodshore and procure several of the extra plump Bianaq bream that the duke craves.

Corvinoobus Wrote:Before this speculation continues further, I must share with you certain developments regarding the man once known as "Duke Brett V."

The structure of Ishgardian nobility is not widely known, especially in lands so distant as Limsa Lominsa. Moreover, given the nature of Lominsan society, even well-to-do merchants may know little of such things. So it was that a lowborn Ishgardian, who through a series of events fortuitous and fantastic had built a profitable import and export concern, affected the trappings of nobility and convinced his peers in Limsa Lominsa that he was the esteemed "Duke Brett V."

Why he felt the need to adopt such a guise is anyone's guess, as his numerous eccentricities were met with widespread bemusement. Indeed, it was his penchant for ordering the same unusual dish every moon at the Bismarck that proved his undoing, as during one such visit he was confronted by traveling scholar, who declared with authority, "There's no such thing as an Ishgardian duke!"

The "Duke" has since grown rather reclusive, as one might expect, and his tale is now largely forgotten. Yet on occasion, in certain corners of Limsa Lominsa, in response to a dubious claim, some locals are heard to exclaim, "Hah! And I'm an Ishgardian duke!"

My personal pet theory is that the reclusive resident of The Hermit's Hovel in outer La Noscea is the selfsame "Duke" Brett V. No evidence of course, but I think it'd be a fantastic throwback if they ever did implement a quest for it. Most people miss it, but there's actually a subtle nod to our good Duke Brett in the 3.0 Hildibrand questline wherein our expressive investigator knocks over a priceless antique vase that reportedly once graced the house of an Ishgardian "Duke."

(02-03-2017, 05:23 PM)Solenne Wrote: Note also that Ishgard is the only city-state we know of that has a true nobility. Gridania seems to have a class of important people who get their own little part of the city to live in (I refer to them as the gentry for lack of a better term), but the city is governed by the Seedseers. Ul'dah is a sultanate, but the wealthy and powerful people there are the monetarists. Limsa Lominsa is led by an Admiral, so the closest thing to a noble class there would be naval officers, I suspect.

Beastmen are considered subhuman by most Eorzeans. And note also that we don't have any idea whether these tribes even have written languages.
(02-03-2017, 06:34 PM)Amnesic Wrote: On the terms of beastmen languages, I know that at least Amaljic language is written because I remember there being a step of a quest where you have to get someone to translate for you. In the meantime, I need to find myself some information on the various aristocracies.

A few things. Ishgard has(had) a more traditional version of nobility, but it was far from the only place which had nobles. Ul'dah, for example, has nobility by royal bloodlines and merchant empires who gain nobility through affluence. Gridania possesses a gentry, or psuedo nobility, but beyond the Padjal and exceptional individuals it's not immediately clear who this gentry includes. Limsa Lominsa has self-styled Pirate Kings, but no true nobility as the people firmly believe in personal freedoms and that no one person's blood runs redder than the rest.

As for the beastmen languages, we do actually have solid evidence that at least three (Amalj'aa, Sahagin, Moogles) have their own written language, with lore which strongly suggests that the Ixal and Vanu also have their own written languages also. As for how Eorzeans view the beast tribes, that depends greatly on where they're from and which beast tribe. For example, Lominsans are friendly and accepting with most beastmen (Qiqirn, Goblins, Mamool Ja, and kobolds at one point) and are only bent towards war with the Sahagin. Ul'dah, on the other hand, has a sultanate decree banning all beastmen from the city-state. Whereas Gridania is somewhere between. They have amicable relations with the Sylphs and Goblins, but so much as treating a wounded Ixal is grounds for exile from the sylvan city-state.

In any case, here's a few links that answer the above in greater detail:
-Bellworks FC's Ishgardian Nobility and Title Lore Compilation
-Lore Overview on Eorzean Nobility
-Languages of Hydaelyn Lore Compilation

Hope this helps! ^^

(02-03-2017, 08:19 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 05:23 PM)Solenne Wrote: If you want to play an Ishgardian noble, your choices are vicount or baron. There are also counts in Ishgard, but only four of them, and we already know who they are. The higher real-world French ranks of marquis and duke don't exist in Ishgard, or anywhere else in Eorzea, seemingly.
(02-03-2017, 06:34 PM)Amnesic Wrote: The "Isles" are not exactly really anything but flavor with a little bit homage to how he obtained his fortune; the title of Duke and Marquis are entirely made up by him and serve only to enhance his appearance to the public.

Your story, even down to the name of your Duke, actually reminds me of an actual existing npc and his story from the 1.0 version of the game. It gave me a good laugh the first time I read through this. Allow me to introduce to you, Ishgard's Duke Brett V:

Dream a Little Bream Wrote:As he does once every moon, Ishgardian noble Duke Brett V will soon be arriving in Limsa Lominsa to conduct a routine inspection of the many export and import warehouses he maintains in the thalassocracy. And, as always, he has requested the Bismarck to prepare three servings of his favorite dish, braised bream with aurelia cream sauce, for each day of his one-week stay. To prepare for this unorthodox order, the Culinarians' Guild is seeking adventurers to travel to Bloodshore and procure several of the extra plump Bianaq bream that the duke craves.

Corvinoobus Wrote:Before this speculation continues further, I must share with you certain developments regarding the man once known as "Duke Brett V."

The structure of Ishgardian nobility is not widely known, especially in lands so distant as Limsa Lominsa. Moreover, given the nature of Lominsan society, even well-to-do merchants may know little of such things. So it was that a lowborn Ishgardian, who through a series of events fortuitous and fantastic had built a profitable import and export concern, affected the trappings of nobility and convinced his peers in Limsa Lominsa that he was the esteemed "Duke Brett V."

Why he felt the need to adopt such a guise is anyone's guess, as his numerous eccentricities were met with widespread bemusement. Indeed, it was his penchant for ordering the same unusual dish every moon at the Bismarck that proved his undoing, as during one such visit he was confronted by traveling scholar, who declared with authority, "There's no such thing as an Ishgardian duke!"

The "Duke" has since grown rather reclusive, as one might expect, and his tale is now largely forgotten. Yet on occasion, in certain corners of Limsa Lominsa, in response to a dubious claim, some locals are heard to exclaim, "Hah! And I'm an Ishgardian duke!"

My personal pet theory is that the reclusive residence of The Hermit's Hovel in outer La Noscea is the selfsame "Duke" Brett V. No evidence of course, but I think it'd be a fantastic throwback if they ever did implement a quest for it. Most people miss it, but there's actually a subtle nod to our good Duke Brett in the 3.0 Hildibrand questline wherein our expressive investigator knocks over a priceless antique vase that reportedly once graced the house of an Ishgardian "Duke."

(02-03-2017, 05:23 PM)Solenne Wrote: Note also that Ishgard is the only city-state we know of that has a true nobility. Gridania seems to have a class of important people who get their own little part of the city to live in (I refer to them as the gentry for lack of a better term), but the city is governed by the Seedseers. Ul'dah is a sultanate, but the wealthy and powerful people there are the monetarists. Limsa Lominsa is led by an Admiral, so the closest thing to a noble class there would be naval officers, I suspect.

Beastmen are considered subhuman by most Eorzeans. And note also that we don't have any idea whether these tribes even have written languages.
(02-03-2017, 06:34 PM)Amnesic Wrote: On the terms of beastmen languages, I know that at least Amaljic language is written because I remember there being a step of a quest where you have to get someone to translate for you. In the meantime, I need to find myself some information on the various aristocracies.

A few things. Ishgard has(had) a more traditional version of nobility, but it was far from the only place which had nobles. Ul'dah, for example, has nobility by royal bloodlines and merchant empires who gain nobility through affluence. Gridania possesses a gentry, or psuedo nobility, but beyond the Padjal and exceptional individuals it's not immediately clear who this gentry includes. Limsa Lominsa has self-styled Pirate Kings, but no true nobility as the people firmly believe in personal freedoms and that no one person's blood runs redder than the rest.

As for the beastmen languages, we do actually have solid evidence that at least three (Amalj'aa, Sahagin, Moogles) have their own written language, with lore which strongly suggests that the Ixal and Vanu also have their own written languages also. As for how Eorzeans view the beast tribes, that depends greatly on where they're from and which beast tribe. For example, Lominsans are friendly and accepting with most beastmen (Qiqirn, Goblins, Mamool Ja, and kobolds at one point) and are only bent towards war with the Sahagin. Ul'dah, on the other hand, has a sultanate decree banning all beastmen from the city-state. Whereas Gridania is somewhere between. They have amicable relations with the Sylphs and Goblins, but so much as treating a wounded Ixal is grounds for exile from the sylvan city-state.

In any case, here's a few links that answer the above in greater detail:
-Bellworks FC's Ishgardian Nobility and Title Lore Compilation
-Lore Overview on Eorzean Nobility
-Languages of Hydaelyn Lore Compilation

Hope this helps! ^^

So basically everything I said in my post was wrong. Well, I guess that will teach me to weigh in on lore threads.

RE: Character Creation: Opinions? - Amnesic - 02-04-2017

(02-03-2017, 08:19 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Snippings!

Alright, I have a more concise setup of information up there now. I'm still a bit too unsure on what would be considered old-fashioned, aside from Ul'dah's desert robes, but I think I can take a look around in-game and see if I find something.

I have actually never heard of Duke Brett V. before; it is quite hilarious how much of a coincidence this is. I mean, I only chose the name Rhett because it is a seemingly rare name. I may have to go pay this hermit in La Noscea a visit sometime soon!