Hydaelyn Role-Players
Popcorn in Eorzea? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Popcorn in Eorzea? (/showthread.php?tid=18185)

Pages: 1 2

Popcorn in Eorzea? - Kiera Hawkeye - 01-12-2017

With the recent openings of pizzeria's in Eorzea, a question occurred to me. Would there be popcorn? Similar to our modern day theater popcorn? I know that we have millioncorn, but are there any specific mentions of popped corn somewhere, in a CUL leve possibly?

Thank you!

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Kilieit - 01-12-2017

Wikipedia says that the earliest archaeological evidence of popcorn is from Mexico around 3600 BC.

Maybe it's an ancient New World delicacy that Merlwyb and her explorers retrieved the recipe for (at the same time as millioncorn for cultivation)?

I don't have any sources that it definitely exists, but we know millioncorn exists, originates from the New World, and has been brought back to Eorzea. We know the culinary equipment needed to make popcorn also exists. So it's possible someone's invented it!

...I'd be curious to see if there is a CUL reference to it though. xD

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 01-12-2017

As my current levequest project is 78% done and I just did a quick search of all levequests from Unsynwilf Greensleeves, I can say with 99.5% certainty popcorn does not show up in any CUL leve or quest.

That said, millioncorn has been grown in Eorzea since the Year 1500, they have the means to make "popcorn" and several CUL levequests and recipes do make references to other millioncorn-made foods, like grits. It wouldn't be unreasonable to have popcorn already invented or to just have a restaurant invent it themselves. The means and technology are there, even if the only people to have hypothetically thus far made popcorn are from Mamook in the west.

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Amnesic - 01-12-2017

The more important question...would they use butter or cheese?

But, as everyone else said above, it seems believable that it may exist at some point.. It's just exploded corn kernels, really. Tongue

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Kilieit - 01-12-2017

Would the first person to season their popcorn with salt instead of sugar / sugar instead of salt be heralded as a genius, or spurned as a madman?!

I need to ask Tin if anyone's asked for pineapple on their pizza yet...

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - ExAtomos - 01-13-2017

(01-12-2017, 10:12 PM)Kilieit Wrote: I need to ask Tin if anyone's asked for pineapple on their pizza yet...

Of course they have. xD

I've had folks murmur a bit about pizza being too modern, etc. for Eorzea. I even tried to preempt this issue by posting a link to the history of pizza on the webflyer for Stellazzio Pizzeria (spoiler: pizza has been around a loooong time). We have ALL the fixin's for pizzas in game (even pineapple), but what we DON'T have is a specific CUL recipe for pizza and I think folks aren't keen on saying a food item exists in Eorzea until it shows up on the CUL recipe list. /shrug

So, the thing here is (like with a lot of lore questions) "Is it /plausible/?" Yes, just like pizza, popcorn is plausible.

Riding the segue... I think Stellazzio is the only pizzeria thus far. I would love to franchise out to the other city states if anyone wants to get in on this turnkey operation (I'm dyin' here. x'D) BUT... if anyone wants to open up some /competition/... HOT DAMN let's rumble! Big Grin

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Maril - 01-13-2017

(01-12-2017, 09:47 PM)Amnesic Wrote: The more important question...would they use butter or cheese?

But, as everyone else said above, it seems believable that it may exist at some point.. It's just exploded corn kernels, really. Tongue

They would use salt, because salt is evidently the better popcorn seasoning. 

On topic though, I don't think you'd break the world by introducing popcorn to it. I think there's quite the potential for things to be ported over - I certainly do this in the realms of alcohol and mixing drinks. The only twist I spin on things is that I may replace certain flavours/fruits etc with something that is from Eorzea. Example: Rolanberry instead of strawberry.

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Mae - 01-14-2017

I'm very much of the opinion that we can't rely on or expect the Devs to include every single plant, animal, and the like that would make up the game's ecosystems through either inventory items or mentions in quests/leves/etc -- it'd make the game's file size too big. So I run on the assumption that if it's reasonable that something would exist (we have the in-game climates that would support whatever) and/or there are related examples, then until the Devs step in and specifically say that it doesn't exist, it's fair game. And even if they do come out and say something doesn't exist, there's likely something that DOES exist that would make for a decent substitute.

Like coffee. I honestly had an argument with someone prior to 2.4 about the existence of coffee. My only way to get them to drop it and stop being disruptive (couldn't /blist, they were an LS member at the time) was to say that it was a coffee substitute made from roasted acorns, which is a real thing. 

I take a similar approach to how a specific food is made -- if the technology to cook it exists/would be feasible to make in the game's setting, it's fair game. I had a similar argument (with the same person I did with the coffee, actually) over ice cream. They said it wasn't possible without freezers, but all you need to make it is milk, cream, sugar, two seal-able jars of different sizes, ice and rock salt or ice shards, and about twenty minutes.

So if you really think about it, there's... not a lot of food that couldn't exist in Eorzea. Off the top of my head... maybe astronaut ice-cream and anything that was specifically made to be cooked only sous-vide style might be 'out'. And maybe waffles, because I don't know how to make an Eorzean waffle iron off the top of my head beyond "magic!". But hamburgers, pizza, french fries, grilled cheese sandwiches, bacon McMuffins, Hot Pockets, doughnuts... they're all actually feasible with the game's represented cooking techniques and inventory items.

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Kilieit - 01-14-2017

> hot pockets

The other day I was chatting with Tin about the existence/invention of calzone - our characters were Eating Pizza Wrongâ„¢ and Tin's alt was folding his over. It's only a matter of time! xD

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Nako Vesh - 01-14-2017

I would be shocked if no one in Eorzea ever dropped a grain or seed on something hot, and went, "Huh, maybe I should eat it."

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Valence - 01-14-2017

Well; at least one guy tried to eat Coblyns so...

(01-14-2017, 12:36 AM)Mae Wrote: I'm very much of the opinion that we can't rely on or expect the Devs to include every single plant, animal, and the like that would make up the game's ecosystems through either inventory items or mentions in quests/leves/etc -- it'd make the game's file size too big. So I run on the assumption that if it's reasonable that something would exist (we have the in-game climates that would support whatever) and/or there are related examples, then until the Devs step in and specifically say that it doesn't exist, it's fair game. And even if they do come out and say something doesn't exist, there's likely something that DOES exist that would make for a decent substitute.

Like coffee. I honestly had an argument with someone prior to 2.4 about the existence of coffee. My only way to get them to drop it and stop being disruptive (couldn't /blist, they were an LS member at the time) was to say that it was a coffee substitute made from roasted acorns, which is a real thing. 

I take a similar approach to how a specific food is made -- if the technology to cook it exists/would be feasible to make in the game's setting, it's fair game. I had a similar argument (with the same person I did with the coffee, actually) over ice cream. They said it wasn't possible without freezers, but all you need to make it is milk, cream, sugar, two seal-able jars of different sizes, ice and rock salt or ice shards, and about twenty minutes.

So if you really think about it, there's... not a lot of food that couldn't exist in Eorzea. Off the top of my head... maybe astronaut ice-cream and anything that was specifically made to be cooked only sous-vide style might be 'out'. And maybe waffles, because I don't know how to make an Eorzean waffle iron off the top of my head beyond "magic!". But hamburgers, pizza, french fries, grilled cheese sandwiches, bacon McMuffins, Hot Pockets, doughnuts... they're all actually feasible with the game's represented cooking techniques and inventory items.

I think some people might have had more of a problem with the 'historical flavor' rather than the technological issues, but... Honestly, it's a matter of tastes. It's Eorzea, still. It seems to mix stuff from all RL - and less RL - eras so... Having icecream made with ice crystal shards? At the Costa Del Sol? Sounds pretty mild to me.

It's also threading a lot on something that can be cringe worthy for many people, also. The game lore always takes great care into transforming their RL inspirations into the setting and into proper Eorzean styled foods, stuff, etc. Even when it's a blatant ripoff where they have the laziest writing, like for seasonal events (Heavensturn, Starlight, etc... well at least they changed the names to give them meaning in the setting).

It's always a matter of how far you are willing to go into... what I would call an uncanny valley where contemporary RL stuff blends so much with the ffxiv setting that it starts to just break every kind of suspension of disbelief possible. When you start to see people taking their coffee to wake up at morning, take another one before going to work in their eorzean cubicles after a ride in some kind of bus towed by chocobos... Only to take their lunchbreak at the local fastfood when they have burgers and french fries and icecream and whatnot...

Mh, I might be wrong but it doesn't seem to me that a lot of foods in the lore are contemporary food. Most of them seem to be classic cuisine or old cuisine as far as I can tell? Or just made up stuff.

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Charity322 - 01-14-2017

You can put cheese on popcorn?

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Kilieit - 01-14-2017

[Image: e6a022eca4.png]

[Image: 8390f52e98.png]

[Image: 3eb4350a2b.png]

XIV is loosely based on 15th - 17th century cultures, plus any "anachronistic" technical advances made possible with magic and magitek (such as the early propagation of things which, in the real world, stayed on their original continents for much longer - for instance, I'm going to say coffee is likely to have been invented somewhere along the Thavnairian archipelago, which we know Eorzea has active and open trade routes with).

Most of these foods were either invented thousands of years before then, or were invented during the time period XIV is based upon.

Just because they've become modern conveniences doesn't mean they were invented in modern times.

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Arrelaine - 01-14-2017

I think popcorn could be feasible. It's definitely not in an CUL recipes, but we do have millioncorn, and popcorn's not hard to make. A pan, some dried kernels and a fire and you got some popcorn. Add some melted butter, and you have butter flavored popcorn even. Or oil, however you take your popcorn (I personally use coconut cooking spray, and salt sticks super well to it). Eorzea also has caramel, sugar, etc, so you can make different varieties to boot.

Most great foods are made by accident, after all!

RE: Popcorn in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 01-14-2017

Not that I've heard anyone complain, but it's not like people even have a leg to stand on in regards to pizza being in Eorzea. There's literally a Culinarian recipe for Tomato Pie.

Tomato Pie Wrote:Considered a delicacy in Gridania, this pie is arranged with sliced tomatoes, giving it the appearance of a flower garden.
Tomato Pie Recipe Wrote:Pie Dough
Wild Onion
Dzemael Tomato
Midland Basil
Rolanberry Cheese
Table Salt

Googling "tomato pie" nets like a million recipes for pizza and even a few recipes for literal "tomato pie" that look exactly like the in-game icon. Even some of the recipes are close. Pretty sure pizza is a thing. And popcorn can be too.

Southern Tomato Pie, Heirloom Tomato Pie, Tomato Pie y'all.