Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? (/showthread.php?tid=17831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Jeanne IX - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 06:27 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 06:23 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: As a new player I doubt I'll use them, if I want to level a job then I'll want to go through that job's story too. I'll have the 30%xp ring and soon the 50% xp earrings. Glad these potions are there for people who want them though.
just a reminder the ring only lasts till level 30 so the last 20 levels will only benefit from the earrings
Oh yeah I'm aware, but it's better than not having it at all.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Papajimboh - 05-22-2017

I think it's a good idea for future use. I'd much rather finish my character normally to 60 and soon 70, but later on I'd definitely be interested in using one for either A) to level an alternate job on my main, or B) have a separate alt without needing to go through the MSQ and unlock everything all over again, which is currently what keep me from doing one now. 

I'm enjoying the story and would like to experience it through. Also, I don't like the idea of having a complete job thrown at me with all its abilities and then trying to sort it all out. I much prefer getting it a little at a time and leveling comfortably so I feel connected to the character and play it smoothly once I'm max.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Erah'sae - 05-22-2017

I'm rather liking these, to be honest.  My only twitch (edit: not really a complaint) about the jump potions is that there should be some in game tidbit where they give you the basic summary of the storyline or the class story.

Maybe give the tome to a version of the Wandering Bard who's sitting in all your starter towns. Bard: "Ahh, I was wondering when you'd come around for a drink.  So let me make sure I've got everything right..."  
Queue 15 minute summary cutscene here.

I'll probably get one of each just to poke around on another RP server... 

Really though, missing a lot of the story is shooting oneself in the foot.  The game really comes into it's own through it.  There's a lot of lore and other tidbits you can pick up along the way.  I have more of a feeling that the people that will skip the MSQ arent' the same ones to really care about it.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Nero - 05-22-2017

I think every player should experience the magic of an entire quest consisting of Alphinaud telling the Warrior of Light to move some boxes from the basement to upstairs in Revenant's Toll.

Exactly once.

Just so they can realise why jump potions were needed.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Val - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 07:15 PM)Nero Wrote: I think every player should experience the magic of an entire quest consisting of Alphinaud telling the Warrior of Light to move some boxes from the basement to upstairs in Revenant's Toll.

Exactly once.

This.

There's so many ridiculous and downright unnecessary filler/fetch quests that I have alts at level 1 that I've been waiting to buy these potions for in order to skip that crap Undecided

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kage - 05-22-2017

I just need the MSQ jump. I can mostly level it out myself but that Msq jump is nice.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Fox - 05-22-2017

I'm personally very happy to have the MSQ jump potions (the job ones are nice too); mostly because I'm working on an alt that I plan on moving to replace my main. These things are really helpful for full-time professionals to say the least. ;_; I get so little time for gaming anymore and I've done so much of the original content many times that I just want to get through it.

(05-22-2017, 07:55 PM)Val Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 07:15 PM)Nero Wrote: I think every player should experience the magic of an entire quest consisting of Alphinaud telling the Warrior of Light to move some boxes from the basement to upstairs in Revenant's Toll.

Exactly once.

This.

There's so many ridiculous and downright unnecessary filler/fetch quests that I have alts at level 1 that I've been waiting to buy these potions for in order to skip that crap Undecided
I just beat Titan today and the entire sequence leading up to him, with the banquet at Costa del Sol, was downright painful filler. I can't imagine doing it on more than one character. So yeah these can only be a good thing.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Alderique - 05-22-2017

I'm playing an alt now and I'm already pre-triggered because I know I'm gonna have to do that quest where I feed stew to soldiers right after defeating a Garlean legion, like what the actual fuck.

When a game is this many expansions in, there's a lot of catch-up to do. It's good people will have the option to boost up, whether you're returning to the game, or joining other people, or just wanna board the hype train into Stormblood.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet in the thread, but WoW regularly offers level-ups with its expansion, doesn't it? A free boost to the starting level of the expansion. Did that tend to come with any problems?

(05-22-2017, 08:40 PM)Alderique Wrote: I'm playing an alt now and I'm already pre-triggered because I know I'm gonna have to do that quest where I feed stew to soldiers right after defeating a Garlean legion, like what the actual fuck.

When a game is this many expansions in, there's a lot of catch-up to do. It's good people will have the option to boost up, whether you're returning to the game, or joining other people, or just wanna board the hype train into Stormblood.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet in the thread, but WoW regularly offers level-ups with its expansion, doesn't it? A free boost to the starting level of the expansion. Did that tend to come with any problems?

Only problem that I recall, people don't know their chosen class.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Alderique - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 08:42 PM)Foxberry Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 08:40 PM)Alderique Wrote: I'm playing an alt now and I'm already pre-triggered because I know I'm gonna have to do that quest where I feed stew to soldiers right after defeating a Garlean legion, like what the actual fuck.

Only problem that I recall, people don't know their chosen class.

Yeah, I can see that being an issue. I'm hoping with the class changes they'll be a bit more streamlined and easier to pick up. At least people tend to be pretty good in FF14 with helping each other out in dungeons and sharing info.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Momoka - 05-22-2017

considering I have about 2-3  hours a night if that of game time, this is a lifesaver. I will absolutely be using one an alt.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kailani - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 08:42 PM)Foxberry Wrote: Only problem that I recall, people don't know their chosen class.

This will be a problem for sure, though hopefully it'll work itself out in the end. When WoW started up with their boost tokens, it was a nightmare as a healer when all these tanks came out of no where. Dazed

I'll attempt to be optimistic about it though. I already know the class I'm using and plan to take some time to work out the kinks/seek advice before I throw myself into anything that could get others killed. Thumbsup

(05-22-2017, 08:58 PM)Kai â™  Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 08:42 PM)Foxberry Wrote: Only problem that I recall, people don't know their chosen class.

This will be a problem for sure, though hopefully it'll work itself out in the end. When WoW started up with their boost tokens, it was a nightmare as a healer when all these tanks came out of no where. Dazed

I'll attempt to be optimistic about it though. I already know the class I'm using and plan to take some time to work out the kinks/seek advice before I throw myself into anything that could get others killed. Thumbsup
Well as of Legion, boosting in WoW automatically puts you into a trial that teaches you the abilities of your class and slowly unlocks them one by one. XIV has the Hall of the Novice as an equivalent so I wouldn't be too concerned.

(05-22-2017, 09:30 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 08:58 PM)Kai â™  Wrote:

Well as of Legion, boosting in WoW automatically puts you into a trial that teaches you the abilities of your class and slowly unlocks them one by one. XIV has the Hall of the Novice as an equivalent so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Yes, but the character boosts were before the latest expac. When I first ran one of my boosted characters it was back at MOP (or after I can't recall)- there was no trial or testing and I had no idea what I was doing as a mage. However a tutorial can only teach you so much and it still took me quite a while to grasp the class; which I suspect will be for new folks regardless of tutorial or not in XIV. Hall of the Novice only teaches you so much and it's 5-6 tutorials? It's not equivalent to the amount of time it takes you to learn your class from 1-60. Certainly; learning NIN took more than just a few tutorials to say the least for me and I'm still learning it even at level 52 on my alt.