Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? (/showthread.php?tid=17831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Aaron - 02-17-2017

(02-17-2017, 12:41 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 04:41 PM)Parvacake Wrote: MSQ is a make or break for a lot of people when it comes to alts. The first time around it's cool because it lets you look into the lore of the game and environment around everything.

But when all you want to do is level an alt to get cool glamours for a storyline or make a relative for a friend's character, putzing through the same BS over and over again sucks the life out of peoples' drives to get it done.
All they need to implement is auto-cutscene skip.
They do? Don't they already have that? o.o

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Gegenji - 02-17-2017

(02-17-2017, 01:08 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 04:41 PM)Parvacake Wrote: MSQ is a make or break for a lot of people when it comes to alts. The first time around it's cool because it lets you look into the lore of the game and environment around everything.

But when all you want to do is level an alt to get cool glamours for a storyline or make a relative for a friend's character, putzing through the same BS over and over again sucks the life out of peoples' drives to get it done.

I think that's only for scenes you have already seen once - in dungeons and raids and the like. You still have to manually skip the MSQ cutscenes from going around doing normal quests and stuff.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-17-2017

(02-17-2017, 01:12 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(02-17-2017, 01:08 PM)Aaron Wrote:

I think that's only for scenes you have already seen once - in dungeons and raids and the like. You still have to manually skip the MSQ cutscenes from going around doing normal quests and stuff.

This is correct. You can't automatically skip a cutscene you've never seen before. ...but thankfully we got a dialogue auto-advance iirc. ...so someone could just walk away to make a sandwich if they so wanted.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - chatterbox - 03-19-2017

I brought this up before in a linkshell, but apparently my reasoning was too outrageous for anyone to calmly talk about it, and instead I was personally insulted by something like 5 people because of having such an extreme opinion on this matter!

Buckle your seatbelts, because after the last time I said what I'm about to say, I got blown out of the water for it...are you ready? Okay.

1) I think that jump potions and MSQ should meet in the middle.
2) I do not think that SE should monetize the game's failings
3) I believe in permanent long-term fixes to problems instead of extreme solutions (everything or nothing in this case)
4) They should just create a streamlined, much shorter series of quests that tell the story of the game, while removing all of the fluff and fetch quests.
5) While doing this, they should bring more emphasis on players doing instanced content via the leveling roulette, and motivate new players to advance through the story and allow them to IMMEDIATELY play with their friends from level 1

The story doesn't need to be skipped, it needs to be improved. What kind of message are we as players sending when we say, "Not only will we not care if you don't fix this horrible, broken, destructive part of the game that drives away new players, but we'll actually PAY you extra money for not fixing it to offset the lost revenue of the players who have quit the game over it!"

Paying SE extra cash to bypass a broken part of the game is just insanity. What motivation do they have to fix the game's issues if they are paid for not fixing them? What other issues will arise that they will simply make a jump potion for in the future instead of fixing those problems?

Monetizing problems with the game is really scummy, moreso than any other possible monetization. I don't believe jump potions should exist outside of the players who have already achieved level 50 and beyond, and instead I believe that a more intricate overhaul of the MSQ is required, as well as an overhaul of the new player experience. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed with a serious solution. Slapping a pricetag on a potion to skip it all is most certainly NOT a solution. Its paying them to avoid making a real solution. Its bad for the game.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Ferus - 03-20-2017

(03-19-2017, 06:55 AM)chatterbox Wrote: I brought this up before in a linkshell, but apparently my reasoning was too outrageous for anyone to calmly talk about it, and instead I was personally insulted by something like 5 people because of having such an extreme opinion on this matter!

Buckle your seatbelts, because after the last time I said what I'm about to say, I got blown out of the water for it...are you ready? Okay.

3) I believe in permanent long-term fixes to problems instead of extreme solutions (everything or nothing in this case)
4) They should just create a streamlined, much shorter series of quests that tell the story of the game, while removing all of the fluff and fetch quests.
5) While doing this, they should bring more emphasis on players doing instanced content via the leveling roulette, and motivate new players to advance through the story and allow them to IMMEDIATELY play with their friends from level 1

The story doesn't need to be skipped, it needs to be improved. What kind of message are we as players sending when we say, "Not only will we not care if you don't fix this horrible, broken, destructive part of the game that drives away new players, but we'll actually PAY you extra money for not fixing it to offset the lost revenue of the players who have quit the game over it!"

Paying SE extra cash to bypass a broken part of the game is just insanity. What motivation do they have to fix the game's issues if they are paid for not fixing them? What other issues will arise that they will simply make a jump potion for in the future instead of fixing those problems?

Monetizing problems with the game is really scummy, moreso than any other possible monetization. I don't believe jump potions should exist outside of the players who have already achieved level 50 and beyond, and instead I believe that a more intricate overhaul of the MSQ is required, as well as an overhaul of the new player experience. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed with a serious solution. Slapping a pricetag on a potion to skip it all is most certainly NOT a solution. Its paying them to avoid making a real solution. Its bad for the game.

My issue with this is that devs don't have unlimited resources to allocate, and if they focus on revamping early game leveling, other content suffers in its place. Hell, we're already down to two expert dungeons per patch instead of ARR's three.

Your solution is ideally what I would want if I didn't already have concerns about the amount of endgame content SE puts out, but I do have concerns about that, and I'd honestly rather have SE focus on content for max-level players rather than devote resources to satisfy a small minority that could also be solved with the quick fix of bundling a jump potion in with the purchase of an expansion pack.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Lydia Lightfoot - 03-20-2017

(03-19-2017, 06:55 AM)chatterbox Wrote: I brought this up before in a linkshell, but apparently my reasoning was too outrageous for anyone to calmly talk about it, and instead I was personally insulted by something like 5 people because of having such an extreme opinion on this matter!

This will probably end up getting done in "Expansion 3" or "Expansion 4" (Heavensward being 1, the upcoming expansion being 2), as a side effect of the removal of PS3 support. There'll be benefits to eventually releasing an expansion which is along the lines of WoW's Cataclysm, in which they revamp the ARR game world to take advantage of higher technical capabilities (for example, removing some of the invisible fences, adding the ability to use flying mounts and swimming, etc). They can update the overall story and flow of character progress in the ARR zones, reduce gating, and that'll be their golden opportunity to tighten up the ARR story. This kind of expansion is financially beneficial to the company to do eventually because to a large extent they can reuse existing assets, so the actual cost of development is potentially low compared to the alternative.

I'm betting we'll also eventually see the ability to level-sync upward, in which a character's item level is scaled up to the lower limit of an instance and they get temporary access to skills they'd normally have at that level (setting up their hotbars would be awkward, but maybe they'd have some way to do that in advance of actually queuing for the instance so that everybody else wouldn't have to sit waiting). Along with that, maybe they'd let a player be able to do an instance they don't have unlocked as long as the party leader does have it unlocked. That alone would make a big difference to newcomers, just to be able to immediately enjoy most of the group content of the game with their friends. Probably a good idea to leave that option out of roulettes, though, and restrict it to premades only.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parth Makeo - 03-20-2017

As Ferus said, the amount of time needed to retune/rewrite/recode and remake the 1-50 experience of MSQ would take a lot of time. It doesn't just happen overnight and can take a lot of time away from what really can matter.
The Expansion, newer content for endgame and side content like Gold Saucer and The Feast. The only other option aside from the Jump potion would be to (and i can't believe I'm going to say this)

Is to REMOVE the 2.1-2.3 Filler content of the MSQ content and just auto unlock EVERYTHING you can do at level 50. But the amount of dungeons/trials/raids and Primals locked behind level 50 quests is staggering enough that removing of said quests would probably anger some die hard fans.

The sad part is that we are living in a post-Mobile App game world where people don't have "time" to set aside and grind hours upon hours just to be viable to do endgame content (Which they are changing in 4.0 thank god) or even take a buttload of hours grinding away on alternative characters since some people, despite enjoying the every class on one character, wants to play each race or enjoy their looks or Roleplay purposes. 

I am sad too that level boosts exist and I was almost with them when the wow version came in Mists but...it hit me. More people could actually play the game instead of go through content no one really cares about or even talks in anymore. You try leveling from 1-99 in World of Warcraft now. Barely anyone is willing to have a conversation in a dungeon or party up for quests since they are all solo-able now. 

As a certain orc would say...
[youtube]oxY89F5oU-I[/youtube]

P.S: Those 5 people are not thinking outside the box or long term if they insulted you. Either FF14 is their first MMO or they are so diehard about ingame achievements like doing the leveling experience when it was current that they should cash out before they say 'hit me' on 20 and lose their all in bet.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parth Makeo - 05-02-2017

Perhaps the final time i'll update this but i feel like this should be brought up now. 

Preorder earring gives the following stats below!

[Image: tumblr_inline_opb0hd6uTp1utdq9y_540.png]

This is the kind of items I've been wanting for a while now, an alternative to people who want to level alt classes but can't because the 1-50 grinding is a slog and this will FINALLY get myself and others to grind more! 

So the value of the Level Skip Potions are now not as a high demand unless someone is indeed sick of leveling. This should make things a hell of a lot easier for us Roleplayers...but the downside is that it's a Preorder bonus..if you have not done it yet and want these earrings, DO SO NOW!

Source: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/002014.html

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Gegenji - 05-02-2017

(05-02-2017, 11:20 AM)Parth Makeo Wrote: Perhaps the final time i'll update this but i feel like this should be brought up now. 

Preorder earring gives the following stats below!

[Image: tumblr_inline_opb0hd6uTp1utdq9y_540.png]

This is the kind of items I've been wanting for a while now, an alternative to people who want to level alt classes but can't because the 1-50 grinding is a slog and this will FINALLY get myself and others to grind more! 

So the value of the Level Skip Potions are now not as a high demand unless someone is indeed sick of leveling. This should make things a hell of a lot easier for us Roleplayers...but the downside is that it's a Preorder bonus..if you have not done it yet and want these earrings, DO SO NOW!

Source: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/002014.html

Also, they're supposed to be upping the XP you get from FATEs too according to the Letter? So that plus this and the other bonus XP equipment (and maybe food for just a little bit more) should make leveling far easier.

JUMP POTION INFORMATION - Parth Makeo - 05-22-2017

LIVE LETTER ABOUT THE POTIONS!
Thanks to friends on discord for capping

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: mG4KJ9O.jpg]
[Image: gKyMn22.jpg]

Info is out. 

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Virella - 05-22-2017

Damn, had hoped to have a potion for just 3.0 till ending of HW

OH WELL, still! Guess I will just grab levelling potion on my alt and bash my head trough remaining HW content Tongue

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Serielle - 05-22-2017

I'm highly grateful that they are holding out that you can only get one per account for the first few months. The price point is high enough that most people aren't going to buy it on a whim, especially when considering it's only truly useful when purchased with one of the story skips. (Theoretically you can purchase the potion and then just level as normal, except with a base 100% bonus but who is really going to do that with this?) Honestly, I can't see most new players shelling out another 50 USD when they already spent fifty to sixty on the game itself possibly more if CE, plus however long a sub they purchased. 

This actually is coming at the perfect time for me, since it means I now don't have to worry about how I'm going to play with the several friends who moved to a new world. As a native to Gilgamesh with my main, I obviously can't go home if I left and I wouldn't want to leave, even temporarily, anyways. Now I can push my alt up to SB right away and join the rush with them.

Is there potential for abuse with these? Absolutely. But the current limit to one pot per service account curbs most of it.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Jeanne IX - 05-22-2017

As a new player I doubt I'll use them, if I want to level a job then I'll want to go through that job's story too. I'll have the 30%xp ring and soon the 50% xp earrings. Glad these potions are there for people who want them though.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Haven's Fox - 05-22-2017

I'm about 50/50 on the matter of if they are good or not. Both sides have good merit in the discussion. I just hope that they at some reasonable point do go back and adjust the 2.x story to streamline it.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parth Makeo - 05-22-2017

(05-22-2017, 06:23 PM)Jeanne IX Wrote: As a new player I doubt I'll use them, if I want to level a job then I'll want to go through that job's story too. I'll have the 30%xp ring and soon the 50% xp earrings. Glad these potions are there for people who want them though.
just a reminder the ring only lasts till level 30 so the last 20 levels will only benefit from the earrings