Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? (/showthread.php?tid=17831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parth Makeo - 01-01-2017

To try and help clarify with anyone planning to post about this in the thread but don't want to read everything thus far:

There has been talk and mention of the Devs wanting to bring the chinese exclusive 'Jump Potions' over to the other regions. Reasons for this are justified but some of it can be detrimental to a community. 

The Jump potions are as follow:

Jump potion [Job]: The job that is picked is leveled up to 50 (60 in Stormblood) with roughly entry level armor for content of the new expansion and some pocket change (like 2-3k Gil which is not even enough to explot), meaning you will need to buy one of each class to gain all levels (Aside from Red Mage and whatever else is added in Stormblood)
However you do not skip over the MSQ unless you buy the other available potion-

MSQ Skip: The Main Story Skip potion will skip the character past through all the Main Story Quest content up to 2.45 (or in Stormblood 3.45), unlocking all that would be unlocked through the quest line like dungeons or features. It DOES NOT give you levels. It compensates with some Gil (No exact amount but guessing maybe 100k?) that you would of obtained through the quest line. This is SEPARATE from the leveling potions.
---
F.A.Q

Q: Why are they adding this?
A: As of this post it may not happen but our guess is because of how the MMO market changed overtime, not many players are willing to level up alt classes like ye old MMO days. Blame the market or the new generation of gamers but leveling is a chore a lot of the time.

Q: What's the point?
A: Some players may not have as much freetime as others and will either become fustrated when a friend of theirs managed to level up ten times faster or obtained all endgame gear while they are still level 54 and going through Heavensward content. Thus making them drop out and thus loosing players.

As for the individual level potions? Stated above, some players don't have time to just grind out the levels and wish to just enjoy current content at entry rather than sit through hours of ques and running around.

Q: "Oh Great, more bad players..."
A: If this is your attitude to obtaining more players then I both get you but also feel bad. While it is inevitable that there are players who still don't know how to PLD or SCH right, they are still having fun and it's a game. In today's world, a lot of how to play instructions are everywhere if they look. And if they don't that is where YOU come in! That mentor crown you got is a flag saying you are willing to help them learn about the game.

some players will be open to learning, others will be rude and want to play how they want. It's life and it happens. 

Q: OMFG NUUU! FF14 EEZ DEDZ!
A: Crying about people skipping levels to enjoy the relevant content is just a shame. Yes, it is sad that players could just skip all the pre-required content we all may of sat through, waiting for those months of new patches and turns but they are not getting any power nor are they getting free top end raid gear with fully maxxed relic weapon. They are merely buying another means to get STARTED. 
Keyword being STARTED as in they still have to do the grind of whatever is relevant at the time. And if they don't then they will lag behind.

Q: You shouldn't pay for the MSQ skip. Have it be an option
A: I agree. It's stupid -_-

If i miss any common complaints/general questions please message. My post is not meant to be malicious, just trying to clear the air a bit for those now reading.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - foxfirestorm - 01-01-2017

I'm going to look at this as a ye ol' 1.0 player and I have for one saw the good and bad of the potions, but in a very simple term, in my own point of view, if they do what we 1.0 players had to do, it won't be all that bad.

What did we 1.0 players have to do?
Well, if you were lvl 50, like myself, you did the content as lvl 50. This meant you flew through ARR's material fairly quickly because you could pretty much one shot whatever. Given the fact of now the Unsync (which we didn't have), you can get with your high end friends, if not flat out solo some dungeons.

Personally I believe the best way to handle the Jump Potion and what I hope they will do is like this. You still have to do the MSQ, but because of your sudden "level up", you can just fly through it. They get to see the story (if they want), take on the content however they like, and still learn things while having that lvl buffer.

EDIT:
I saw how they are handling it in your post above, so they are sort of doing what I figured they might do, but still going to leave this as my own opinion, if even slightly invalid by the recent information.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Aldotsk - 02-15-2017

People like myself who has a lot of alts and want to level them up without requiring to do the MSQ all over again, and not wanting to grind leveling other classes every.single.time do want this to happen. No matter what happens.

I understand that some people will find it unfair and it is true. People have put lots of efforts than I do and they came this far, and some how new players are abusing this jump potion to skip MSQ and classes.... but I have plenty of IRL friends who skipped MSQ doing this manually and don't care about story or plot at all. They just want to play with friends and catch up to do contents. And if there are any new players who start when Stormblood comes out, it'll be extremely difficult for them to catch up from 2.0 MSQ to 3.55 MSQ because like McBeef said: MSQ 2.0 - 2.55 were hell boring and pointless. MSQ 3.0-3.50 currently right now is definitely bearable. 

It's honestly their money that they are spending. If they want to not pay and are willing to go through the whole game experience, then what's there to hurt? I originally hated the idea when WoW implemented jump level on your one character (and paid service afterwards) during Warlords of Derpland. But I learned after Legion, that I have so many games to play and won't have time to spend too much time and effort to catch up with my friends - I'd rather just pay the extra service with some money to play with them. This is same situation I am in right now.

So my verdict? 

I fully support jump potion whether it is one class/three class or even MSQ jump potion.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kallera - 02-15-2017

I have mixed feelings about it.

I would like nothing better than to skip the msq for my alts, that is ungodly lengthy, and may provide a way for players to get back into the game if they were to to, say, cancel their sub.

On the other hand, this feels like a gateway drug(analogy). That this is a step away from armors or exp potions and other cash shop items in the mogstation that directly impact play, all the while saying that it isn't some version of "pay-to-win". it will also bring on more players that likely are not suited to playing at lvl cap, which will cause anger and resentment at the duty finder.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kage - 02-15-2017

People already play like shit anyway. They didn't need jump potions to do it. They have Fates. They have Palace of the Dead. Crafter or Gatherer gear on and not taking it off when asked.

Some of the world first, top raiders bought their accounts. I know of people who sold their accounts that ended up in PVPers' hands.

Since the jump potion isn't going to put you at the latest content, does it matter? Not in my opinion.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Aaron - 02-15-2017

If anything I'd buy one to 60 my PLD & WAR from 50 cause I'm took fucking lazy to level 10 levels nowadays without MSQ to bait me.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kallera - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 11:43 AM)Kage Wrote: People already play like shit anyway. They didn't need jump potions to do it. They have Fates. They have Palace of the Dead. Crafter or Gatherer gear on and not taking it off when asked.

Some of the world first, top raiders bought their accounts. I know of people who sold their accounts that ended up in PVPers' hands.

Since the jump potion isn't going to put you at the latest content, does it matter? Not in my opinion.

I'd rather not include things that encourage the bad aspects of this game to get worse, imo.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kilieit - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 04:22 PM)Kallera Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 11:43 AM)Kage Wrote: People already play like shit anyway. They didn't need jump potions to do it. They have Fates. They have Palace of the Dead. Crafter or Gatherer gear on and not taking it off when asked.

I'd rather not include things that encourage the bad aspects of this game to get worse, imo.

These services are already available.

They are just illegal, expensive, and unsafe.

In introducing jumps, Square Enix (and Blizzard before them) undercut the market - even if not in price, then at least in "your account will not be compromised or rendered illegal by this measure" terms.

It takes control of the "bad" aspects of the game out of the hands of illicit, illegal, TOS-breaking businesses and places it back with the game's developers.

No one who's interested in levelling or questing the long way around will be swayed by a jump potion that still costs them $50. But people who would otherwise break the TOS to accomplish these things might be - that's the important thing here.

(And people like me, who aren't interested in breaking the TOS but who don't feel they're getting the most out of their subscription because THEY HAVE TO DO 2.0 MSQ EIGHT MORE TIMES AND UGH, will be happier.)

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parvacake - 02-15-2017

(02-15-2017, 04:26 PM)Kilieit Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 04:22 PM)Kallera Wrote:

(snip)

(And people like me, who aren't interested in breaking the TOS but who don't feel they're getting the most out of their subscription because THEY HAVE TO DO 2.0 MSQ EIGHT MORE TIMES AND UGH, will be happier.)
MSQ is a make or break for a lot of people when it comes to alts. The first time around it's cool because it lets you look into the lore of the game and environment around everything.

But when all you want to do is level an alt to get cool glamours for a storyline or make a relative for a friend's character, putzing through the same BS over and over again sucks the life out of peoples' drives to get it done.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parth Makeo - 02-15-2017

While powerleveling has been around since Ye old days of Ultima Online (not sure if Neverwinter ever had such a deal) and it was Illegal, it was considered ungamer like to even powerlevel and let someone else play the game for you while you do nothing and get a powerful player without skill or effort. Nowadays? People REALLY do not have the time with the amount of games coming out and life. Even the old generation of MMO players are slowly starting to realize how much time they waste just leveling alone for content no one plays anymore.

Even before Blizzard did their level booster in MOP, there were items introduced to help speed up leveling from level 1 to 80 called Heirlooms (They now go to level 100 and cost only ingame gold to purchase say for rings) that had certain slots that gave a boost to experience. Before the Guild 10% bonus, Helmet/Shoulders/Cape/Chest/Legs together is 45% experience increase. If you are lucky and get the rings (one from fishing derby and other from some WOD quest) that's an additional 10% together. All together with guild you can blaze through leveling at 65% experience increase! So the next natural step after Heirlooms was to add instant level boost for the price of a AAA game.

Don't want to spend a few hours 2-4 days? Drop $60 and beat the leveling gap!

But in Final Fantasy, there isn't really an option say for two specific items that quickly become obsolete not even halfway through leveling. The Recruit a friend feather is 25% experience...up to level 25. And the ring you get from doing the novice hall grants you 30% increase up to level 30...and by then you are probably already level 20 when you get it or bother to get it.
They help for leveling alts yes...but the bonus they offer should of been made longer lasting. Up to level 50 (60 for stormblood) would be WAY more helpful and provide an alternative to buying the supposed level boosts for those stripped of cash but still WANT to level with their short time schedules. 

But again it's their game and they have to keep people playing somehow, so grinding it is!

Edit: I forgot to say...if we were to add all the levels of your character together. there are 10 that start at level 1 and three at 30.
If you want to be all classes, you would have to grind out over 690 levels in total! Sounds a lot, and while it is the first 25 or so levels are given to you... so...its more like 390 or so. Still a hefty amount to grind if you play other games Sad

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Ryslo Suramlo - 02-15-2017

See I would be all for this if they had a limitation on how many a character can utilize. If its meant to get 'New Players' introduced to their friends quicker then I'm all for it with said limitation. I'm not OK with someone just buying a bunch of these potions getting all their classes to 50 (60 with Stormblood) and cheating the experience either. It wont keep them around longer it'll just be a boost to revenue so lets just be honest for the sake of being Honest.

This is a Money Grab more then it is to Help New Players get through the Boring MSQ or the Grind which in return I see how most of the Veteran Players are peeved by this. They've had to grind all their classes to 50, they had to grind them to 60. To see someone who's new and has plenty of cash on hand just jump their classes to 50 / 60 is a cheapened experience for those who had to go through the grind. On the Reverse you have Casual's (and I say that in a nice way) that cannot dedicate much time that seem to be more then fine with this, which is easier for them to swallow because they couldn't dedicate the time that the more 'Hardcore' players could (which i'm not saying that to elevate them either). In the end by not limiting the amount one can buy is a really bad idea. It opens the Mog Store to other game 'enhancing' items that can be purchased later on when the Mog Store (when it was originally launched) was only meant to be cosmetic.

I think telling people they shouldn't 'Cry' over this is a bit unfair. You have two different types of gamers here. Those who dedicate a lot of time to RP and PVE and those who dedicate more time to RP and less time to PVE. The perspectives are different and its just not fair to point fingers either way. 

My vote (as I expressed in the thread Yoshi-P posted) is there should be a Limitation placed on how many of these you can buy (Per Character) if its truly to just help NEW players get atleast one class past the MSQ... or to Pass the Grind.

My Usage of the Term Casual and Hardcore is only being used to describe the amount of time dedicated to PVE content its not meant to be taken as an Insult or rise the other above. Just a quick way to demonstrate dedication to PVE content.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Aldotsk - 02-16-2017

I am pretty sure it pains Yoshi-P to see his fans pay illegally for powerlevel and MSQ skip service spending $150 per level 1-60 including  $100 for MSQ lol.

I can't really say it's a money grab when it's way cheaper than WoW jump level service and also to prevent RMT from doing more activities

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parth Makeo - 02-16-2017

(02-16-2017, 12:47 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: I am pretty sure it pains Yoshi-P to see his fans pay illegally for powerlevel and MSQ skip service spending $150 per level 1-60 including  $100 for MSQ lol.

I can't really say it's a money grab when it's way cheaper than WoW jump level service and also to prevent RMT from doing more activities
It's way cheaper in the sense of one Job+MSQ skip...but if you add up ALL the possible jobs with the potions, it can equate to far more than wow's level boost. But again if you are not really going for endgame, one level and one MSQ is still cheaper than $60 if you want to enjoy content on an alt.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kilieit - 02-16-2017

(02-16-2017, 02:56 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: It's way cheaper in the sense of one Job+MSQ skip...but if you add up ALL the possible jobs with the potions, it can equate to far more than wow's level boost. But again if you are not really going for endgame, one level and one MSQ is still cheaper than $60 if you want to enjoy content on an alt.

Even if you are going for endgame, I can still see it being worth it to cashboost one job ahead of others you're intending to level manually - armoury bonus, having greater access to seals/tomestones and other currency to gear your job up as you level... if you take the MSQ jump too, having access to dungeons as soon as they're available levels-wise, so you're always doing the optimal content for xp - and if you're not, then you still have MSQ xp to help your second job too...

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2017

(02-15-2017, 04:41 PM)Parvacake Wrote: MSQ is a make or break for a lot of people when it comes to alts. The first time around it's cool because it lets you look into the lore of the game and environment around everything.

But when all you want to do is level an alt to get cool glamours for a storyline or make a relative for a friend's character, putzing through the same BS over and over again sucks the life out of peoples' drives to get it done.
All they need to implement is auto-cutscene skip.