Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? (/showthread.php?tid=17831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Sylentmana - 12-28-2016

I personally wouldn't use one. I like the leveling process but don't care much for endgame so a jump potion would be useless to me. I don't really care if other people use one. That's their choice and it doesn't harm me in the least. In my own opinion, if you skip the MSQ then you're missing out, but that's just me.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Enla - 12-28-2016

(12-21-2016, 07:38 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: As they're described I'm chill with it. It kinda sucks that they don't get to experience ARR/HW but chances are they're coming in and most of the shit will be mad spoiled so the emotional impact and everything we hold dear to that time will be dead in the water. So all you're left with is a bunch of gameplay that, quite frankly, isn't super interesting.

Job level skip? I'm fine with it as well - Mostly because it's never to the maximum level (you still have to play) and 10 levels is enough to grasp the basics and some intermediate strats of your job if you actually care about being good.

And more to the point, those who don't care will never be good to begin with. Jump potion or not. I'm still shuddering over that one HW dungeon I went into with a Maruader who had nothing else leveled - no soul stone either as WAR wasn't unlocked - and couldn't keep hate to save their life. It didn't matter to them that they weren't playing well in the slightest and I doubt they cared after the dungeon finally concluded.

With that said however I do think those who invest in a jump potion right out of the gate should have a mandatory stint in the Hall of the Novice before being allowed to go on their merry way. Just so those absolute MMO newbies know what they're getting themselves into. But the amount of people who invest that much money into a jump potion without playing a few hours first is likely to be low. I didn't invest into a jump potion in LoTRO until I was well into my twentieth level and knew the basics of my class.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Cailean Lockwood - 12-28-2016

I have two characters who are level 60 atm. And I have a few other alts that I need to level up at some point... thing is... I don't really want to! XD

I've been through the entire thing TWO TIMES already. So I'd love to grab me a few jump potions to get me up to at least level 50 on my other alts.

That said, for new players... I think it's a shame if they don't go through the entire thing, from level 1 to level 60, at least ONCE! So maybe that should be a prerequisite; to have at least ONE character levelled up MANUALLY (that's with a stick) before you can use a jump potion on other characters.

I am not sure how the restrictions work though... I mean, if I have a character on level 60 Arcanist/Summoner, can I use a jump potion to get Gladiator/Paladin to level 50 on the SAME character? Because... that would actually be cool!

However, then SE should definitely make some kind of "How to play your class" in-game tutorial you'd have to go through. I guess they kinda have that with the different roles, those being Tank, Healer and DPS, at level 15... but I just fear that there will be alot of people who will then run around, playing a jobclass they don't know how to use, suddenly having all these abilities from the get-go and not knowing what they do...

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Arrelaine - 12-28-2016

I'd probably buy one myself if it meant having to skip 1-50 MSQ. Undecided Maybe there should be a level restriction on it for the account. For instance you have to have the MSQ 50 done, and at most it would be to level 50. Like the wedding attire, though I think they should get rid of that requirement for the wedding outfit. If only because I'm perpetually stuck mid-40s on Reine and I want a gown so bad. ;(

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Aaron - 12-28-2016

If you don't like it. Don't buy it.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Valence - 12-28-2016

(12-28-2016, 05:42 PM)Cailean Lockwood Wrote: I am not sure how the restrictions work though... I mean, if I have a character on level 60 Arcanist/Summoner, can I use a jump potion to get Gladiator/Paladin to level 50 on the SAME character? Because... that would actually be cool!

That's more or less how it is currently on the chinese/korean servers and how they plan to add it if they do eventually.

One jump potion that can get a job to 50 (will be 60 once Stormblood hits).

One jump potion that can unlock the MSQ up to the very end of 2.55 (will be 3.55 once Stormblood hits).

(12-28-2016, 06:50 PM)Valence Wrote:
(12-28-2016, 05:42 PM)Cailean Lockwood Wrote: I am not sure how the restrictions work though... I mean, if I have a character on level 60 Arcanist/Summoner, can I use a jump potion to get Gladiator/Paladin to level 50 on the SAME character? Because... that would actually be cool!

That's more or less how it is currently on the chinese/korean servers and how they plan to add it if they do eventually.

One jump potion that can get a job to 50 (will be 60 once Stormblood hits).

One jump potion that can unlock the MSQ up to the very end of 2.55 (will be 3.55 once Stormblood hits).

Is that all it does? Will a set of gear fit for said level be provided when using a potion like that, like it does in World of Warcraft? Or will people have to get that on the side?

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kilieit - 12-28-2016

I know they mentioned the MSQ potion would come with a gil supplementary to accomodate for what you'd be losing in quest rewards. I assume the level boost potion would do something similar with completed class quests and the corresponding AF gear..?

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Rosehip - 12-28-2016

I just finished the main storyline up to Heavensward, and while I really enjoyed it and had managed to avoid enough spoilers that it was still left a huge impact, I also have to admit.. I'm not super eager to do it again. It's a LOT of quests, and while the story was fun and engaging, once you know where everything is going, I can see how it would become a bit of a slog. 

So I guess I kind of get it. At the very least, it might be nice for alts when you already have a character at max.

(12-28-2016, 08:27 PM)Rosehip Wrote: I just finished the main storyline up to Heavensward, and while I really enjoyed it and had managed to avoid enough spoilers that it was still left a huge impact, I also have to admit.. I'm not super eager to do it again. It's a LOT of quests, and while the story was fun and engaging, once you know where everything is going, I can see how it would become a bit of a slog. 

So I guess I kind of get it. At the very least, it might be nice for alts when you already have a character at max.

If I could get from level 1 to level 60 by JUST doing the MSQ, then I would not have any issue with it. However, once you've done the MSQ on a character, you can't do it again on the same character, but with another jobclass... and it is that grind that's kinda dull and grating.

Also, when levelling a whole new character, you still need to do some level grinding outside of the MSQ to make sure you can continue it and not suddenly stop to a halt because you aren't high enough level to progress. :/

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Valence - 12-29-2016

Oh yes, the ping pong sidequests. In the Churning Mists and Havensward content because there wasn't obviously enough of those in ARR.

The saddest thing is that we don't learn that much of the lore in 3.0, unlike ARR, while doing those, because we spent our time in areas where it doesn't matter much... At least I had fun reading up the lore in ARR sidequests.

Well. 'Fun'.

Anyway, generally I tend to take the leveling of new classes casually now. Roulette everyday and that's it. It levels itself quite nicely all in all. But the first second jobs I leveled up I sure was more eager to get them so I had to grind. Which soon made me drop FATE for all eternity and damnation and just queue for dungeons.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - EliBallard - 12-31-2016

Some people on another forum I frequent came up with the idea that people who use the jump potions should get an un-removeable title <The Impatient> or <The Lazy>.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kilieit - 12-31-2016

(12-31-2016, 11:13 PM)EliBallard Wrote: Some people on another forum I frequent came up with the idea that people who use the jump potions should get an un-removeable title <The Impatient> or <The Lazy>.

I'd use the potions just to get <The Impatient> title, because [Image: 56d7e9cd8a.jpg].

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - H.H. - 01-01-2017

My main issue with leveling alts is setting up my HUD and keybind preferences for each character. UI profiles when?

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Valence - 01-01-2017

You can awkwardly copy paste the content of the folders of other characters in the alt's folder. Just having to find the right one since it's alphanumerical names is the real annoyance here.

Those are located in myDocuments, FF directory.