Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Your thoughts on jump potions? (/showthread.php?tid=17831)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - SicketySix - 12-09-2016

My thoughts on jump potions are "I sure hope they're cheap enough as I'll buy them by the dozen"

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Lydia Lightfoot - 12-09-2016

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned, but, under the current non-jump system, there are hordes and droves of players who can't play their class - I don't really think adding a jump potion is going to make that worse. It might actually make that situation better, because I'd bet real money that a critical reason why we encounter a lot of really bad playing is because players became bored with the class while leveling up and basically just did the bare minimum needed to push through their dailies for the exp. So if they can skip the boring part, maybe they won't have developed lazy habits that become hard to break?

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Lyriell - 12-10-2016

I think a classic Jump Potion like the one being used in WoW would be a bad idea. It takes a lot of the charm away from the game and it leads to people never exploring certain parts of the game which is the opposite of what an MMO should deliver.

If you never explore the world around you then you also don't really care much about it.

Instead what they should do is: Make it so that Main Story Quests are shortened. By that I mean the player would skip all those fetch quests and get much more exp for the quests that actually remain. If done right then even casual players should be able to catch up in a day or two but still get to experience the world around them instead of just buying that potion and sitting on their butt, having no idea of the awesome locations out there.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - SicketySix - 12-10-2016

(12-10-2016, 07:20 AM)Lyriell Wrote: It takes a lot of the charm away from the game and it leads to people never exploring certain parts of the game which is the opposite of what an MMO should deliver.

If you never explore the world around you then you also don't really care much about it.

I would strongly disagree.

I think you forget that most all of us here have already cleared the game at least once. And once you've been through it, it's the same garbage again and again. It's no like an RPG where different choices affect the outcome of the ending. So why do I want to keep playing through it?

I think your points would be much more valid for players who've not completed the game yet, and not those of us having played since release.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Lyriell - 12-10-2016

(12-10-2016, 09:19 AM)SicketySix Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 07:20 AM)Lyriell Wrote: It takes a lot of the charm away from the game and it leads to people never exploring certain parts of the game which is the opposite of what an MMO should deliver.

I would strongly disagree.

I think you forget that most all of us here have already cleared the game at least once. And once you've been through it, it's the same garbage again and again. It's no like an RPG where different choices affect the outcome of the ending. So why do I want to keep playing through it?

I think your points would be much more valid for players who've not completed the game yet, and not those of us having played since release.

That post was aimed at new players. For those that already finished the story once a complete skip would be okay with me. I have dozens of alt characters so I definitely wouldn't complain. But a new player that has seen nothing of the world just completely skipping past it? I think that is not a good idea.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Valence - 12-10-2016

I guess I'm always an odd ball when it comes to RPG tastes. I dislike open worlds (except in MMOs, but in the solo part of MMOs, I hate open worlds too), I loathe exploring for the sake of exploring, and I absolutely hate the very notion of sidequest (and if the sidequests are so awesome, why aren't they in the main story in that case?).

I also never replay any game or RPG with choices differently. I always tend to do every time the same choices, the same customization, the same things (which is why I love the 100% jRPG linear models of old). I know it sounds weird, but I always choose what seems to fit the best for me. Added to an obsessional completionist drive, I always end up following the exact same path. So, what makes me replay things? The story and the universe, every time, and the gameplay has to be not too shabby either. So, generally I don't mind going through the same story again, provided the story is great. Though I bet after the 3rd or 4th time, especially in short succession, no matter the story, I would be bored and unwilling to cope with it once again.

But my point is that, coming from that perspective and speaking about it with most players, I tend to notice I'm not interested in the same things. I can totally understand why some players would want to jump to the end of something they would consider like a very tedious grind, and get directly to the meat of things (to their eyes). I'm pretty sure less of them would care that much if the story was even greater, with huge cutscenes and awesome hooks, and no boring parts, but you would still get many people just not interested, period. When you kick up a solo RPG and play, you can do it for two things: either the gameplay and the progression/leveling, or either the story. Or both (which is the ideal state of things). But I know a lot of players that do it more for one than the other (and it's not binary either). So, when you start up a MMO, you can actually do it for many things (depending on the content offered). Leveling, RPing, just following the story and cutting the sub afterwards, end-game pve, pvp, crafting, trading, I don't know... Or a combination of things. It can be many things. Hell, some people don't even play MMOs for the multiplayer side of them, however sad that is. Why would you force them through the story, no matter how great to your eyes it is?

And I think the problem with most people here is that they seem to assume that their own preferences apply to everyone else, or that the story has to somehow be the alpha and omega of everything for everyone.

Hint: it's not.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Paradox - 12-10-2016

Here's the funny thing about experiencing the world. Not everyone really cares about it. Even some roleplayers. Not only that, even if you're a roleplayer, you might not be interested in the story. The lore is one thing, but the story is really rather boring in the early parts and you can easily learn the lore without playing the story, because we have sources to look things up, a lorebook, people who know the lore you can ask the finer points from. If I could skip the entire first part of Minfilia's Grocery List: The Game every time I wanted to level an RP alt to get to the meatier parts of the game, trust me I would. I have a friend who is a roleplayer, but ignored every cutscene because it wasn't all that interesting to him.

When it comes to Jump Potions, one has to remember that the game honestly doesn't teach you your class anyway. Hall of the Novice is bare bones at best.  You learn a lot of what you're capable of at Endgame, or from advice from other people in your FC or Static. There are still healers who don't have swiftcast that are doing endgame content. And there are also people who *just* play the game to raid, Sure, leveling is easy, especially with PotD now. But that still won't 'teach' how to play your class effectively enough to do EX primals or Savage, etc.

Jump Potions don't come with endgame gear, it doesn't come with any special abilities, and you likely will still have to do the quests from your class guys to get your class quests, which means you still have to do some solo stuff. So basically the same thing other people do. MMOs aren't new. And FFXIV is a very simplistic WoW-style MMO. It won't take most players more than an hour to figure out how most things work on a basic level. And as was said, there are people in game from initial release that still play badly. But because it's such a casual game, you can get away with that, and that's fine.

I keep hearing the 'shorten the main story quest',but that would take a lot of reworking to change all the story quests, take out the fetch quest parts, ie, programming and code changes that would better be served with the design team making new content. Raising the exp would be a partial fix, but the sheer number of quests still makes it a boring slog. SWTOR did that same thing; they added much more xp and even with the fast leveling, I still got bored doing the same quests again. Hell, I exclusively level alts in PotD now and just do the MSQ overleveled.

My opinion to settle all the angst is 'just one'. Don't make them buyable in the Mogstation. Give one out with the expansion. Rift did the same thing; they gave you one to use, and I think that's pretty fair. Since most PvE heavies will play one character with all classes anyway, boosting only one is not only a good solution, but will also keep the 'pay2win' whiners down too. Yeah it's bad for the RPers who want all characters at max for travel and glamour, but RP isn't a significant part of the overall game population, so from a PvE standpoint, which is the game's mainstay, one per account per expansion seems just fine.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parvacake - 12-10-2016

I want the jump potions because I'm utterly sick of going through the same cut scenes on every alt ever.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Warren Castille - 12-10-2016

I'm torn on them. On the one hand, they're a surefire way to get friends into playing the game with you if they don't already. Jump to the cap and start running stuff together! Great!

On the other hand, I feel there is a degree of learning that accompanies going through the game for the first time. On the other other hand, I know roleplayers like alts and since glamour is the real endgame, it sucks having to go through everything when you already know it. On the other other other hand, is it really that bad to let new players skip sequence a bit four years after the game came out? I almost wiped to Titan Hardmode in Trial Roulette earlier because landslide is hard to dodge.

I'd be okay with them being implemented. I'd be okay if they weren't. I do suspect it's a when and not an if, though.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Shofie - 12-11-2016

(12-09-2016, 10:01 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: Great for RP, bad for PvE.

People complain about 'bad' players enough as it is. Imagine queuing for your roulette and getting this.

"Hi guys! Just jumped this Paladin, I have no idea what I'm doing so be patient k lol!"

The issue is this happens already with Palace of the Dead. Jump Potions won't introduce that sort of player, they're already happening.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Kismet - 12-15-2016

To echo others on the sentiment, jump potions will have little to do with player skill level. Mainly because there are plenty of people who have been subscribed to this game for years... and they still play like shit.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Val - 12-15-2016

Pretty much like others have said, I don't think the player base can get any worse than it already is. The entire 1-50 game is meant to teach people how to play. Hell, that's why half of the systems are even in the game to begin with, not to mention mentoring programs and other stuff, and players are still absolutely awful. If the introduction of jump potions makes it any worse, it can't be by much, and at this point if you're not unsyncing content or running with people you know, chances of clearing end game stuff are already abysmally low (in my experience, at least).

I say do it. People (and SE) will profit more from being able to skip/jump levels if they want.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - allgivenover - 12-15-2016

It wouldn't bother me at all if it only jumped you to the "start" of the current expansion.

If it were implemented now it put you at the start of HW with all MSQ completed for ARR, at level 50.

Or level 60 with all of HW done for Stormblood.

Also if they do this I really hope they give a discount to people who have actually completed the quests. This would really help with RP alts and I would use it all the time.

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Val - 12-15-2016

(12-15-2016, 11:24 AM)allgivenover Wrote: It wouldn't bother me at all if it only jumped you to the "start" of the current expansion.

If it were implemented now it put you at the start of HW with all MSQ completed for ARR, at level 50.

Or level 60 with all of HW done for Stormblood.

Also if they do this I really hope they give a discount to people who have actually completed the quests. This would really help with RP alts and I would use it all the time.

From how I've looked at it, there's two different ones you can currently buy. One is a story jump that puts you at the beginning of HW, and the other is a level jump. Both give you a discount based on how far the character already is in story and levels. 

Source - FFXIV SE Forums

RE: Your thoughts on jump potions? - Parvacake - 12-15-2016

(12-15-2016, 11:24 AM)allgivenover Wrote: Also if they do this I really hope they give a discount to people who have actually completed the quests. This would really help with RP alts and I would use it all the time.

Wishful thinking on the discount part, but being able to get my alts up without having to do the same things over and over again would be lovely @_@