Hydaelyn Role-Players
Family Based RP Group? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Family Based RP Group? (/showthread.php?tid=1759)

Family Based RP Group? - Ataru - 03-02-2013

I don't know how original of an idea this is, but it's something I'm interested in.

I like the feeling of knowing where I belong, ICly and all. I know it's pretty common to have a character who either has no ties to anyone or only has ties to NPCs in their backstory, but I like participating in groups who all share ties.

This is why the concept of a big Family-style RP group is interesting to me. Now I'm not talking about a little mom-dad-sister-brother family, I mean something more like the big noble families from way back when. Think Downtown Abbey only with even more people. I love the whole dynamic that exists between the noble upper-class main family, the slightly less-upper side families and the servants who, while lower class, are still a huge part of every family members' life.

But are other people interested in this kind of grouping? I can imagine it would be easy to find anyone to play the head of the family and the young and handsome heir apparent, but would people be willing, even ICly, to act the part of a servant who, while trusted and dear to the heart of the Master, must still stick to the decorum of their rank?

Personally I think organizing a big family (extensions, servants and all) would be a blast. And this is a concept that has been entertaining to people for ages. Just look at the popularity of Downtown Abbey, and even shows like Naruto and Bleach tend to throw in a little 'big noble house' drama. It's something anyone can get into! And it really can fit well into any lore no matter what. Plus it gives everyone in the group an instant back story and guaranteed RP partners instead of the awkwardness of trying to herd together a bunch of mysterious loners, each brooding over their own unknown pasts.

Right? Right? Does it sound interesting? Suggestions? Want to do it? Let's do it?

Edit: Come to think of it, the inclusion of buyable Grand Company houses makes this an even more usable idea. I mean, c'mon. Now you even have the estate.

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Gossamer - 03-03-2013

I'm a sucker for any sort of family-based roleplay, so I'd definitely be interested in something like this, whether I'm playing a noble or a servant of some sort. Not with my main, since his background is already set and is pretty far from noble and wouldn't have any interest in being anybody's servant, but maybe with an alt at some point. But there's definitely a lot of room for this sort of concept.

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Vareal - 03-03-2013

I'm all for that. Not with my main, either, but definitely with an alt. :3

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Ataru - 03-03-2013

I think it's something that would be great for alts, actually. Mainly because the character creation would need to be matched up. It'd be cool if everyone that was part of the family bloodline (so not the servants) would have the same hair/eye color combination so they actually look like they're all from the same family (though they could have different hair styles so they don't all look like clones, of course).

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Darkfae - 03-03-2013

I wouldn't mind joining in with this, and might be able to use one of my existing characters since I never really got to RP with them. Any idea what race you're looking at for it?

As far as playing a servant, I've done the indentured servant bit several times before and the less than indenture servant (long time family servant, bought/traded slave) a few times. Although I'd be terribly afraid that I'd end up defaulting to Disapproving RP Butler's attitude from time to time, depending upon the actions of the employers/owners. >.>

If you don't think your servants notice when you're doing stupid shit, and don't try to warn you...you're very wrong on at least one count - some servants might not bother with the warnings after a few times though. XD

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Ataru - 03-03-2013

Well as far as the race and stuff... I'd leave that up to whoever was actually running the family. I'm bad at leading stuff so even though I brought up the idea I really wouldn't execute it myself. If someone else saw it and thought 'hey yeah I'd like to run a family RP like that' then I'd defer to them.

... though Miqote would be nice, now that males are available. I was planning on making a male Miqote as my main.

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Momo - 03-04-2013

I have my twins, they are nobles of Ul'Dah, and could participate (though more lightly as sort of friends to the family or fellow nobleman at parties...though the twins are anything but noble by nature, they could be persuaded) and I myself have an interest in this sort of little plot, and my main is actually a guardian and trainer to the twins who could add a little to the ranking sensibility of the whole thing.  Anyways, if anyone dares to spear-head this little venture, give me a shout!

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Deirdre - 03-04-2013

I see noble family and I think of this:

[Image: 5bC4pUb.jpg]

Tehehehehe

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Ryanti - 03-04-2013

I do share the feeling of the idea of having a family-sized IC persona in the same way (a legitimate family size, not simply 1 or 2 people playing all of the character). For a while, I thought I was alone in that endeavor.

I do know so far that both Kylin and I have what you would call a large, extended noble family. I can't speak for Kylin, but I am planning for my family to be generally 'large' in the sense of Ryanti having many distant cousins, an Aunt and Uncle, Mother and Father, Grandfather, etc. Read my wiki for more details.

Part of the reason why I'm undertaking the vast history and diversity of my character's family is because of the potential it has for other people, if they so desire, to become involved in my always-active process of defining the history of my character and his family.

It's been a casual thought of mine to play around with the idea of others playing family members of my character IC. It would be more reminiscent of how the family's presence about themselves would actually be in the lore versus what is possible to do in-game.

In fact, I think in my player directory thread, I talk about the potential of other rp'ers to play family members/associates/servants/swordmaster instructor/etc.

It would definitely be something if it were to happen. If it fits your desires, I am open for it to happen.

It's just, y'know, there has to be chemistry. Trust. I have paranoid-induced thoughts of people taking my family's lore and having myself lose creative control of my own 'dynasty' I guess you could say. I'm afraid I won't like where it goes if other people actually, y'know.. get their fingers on my creative process aka my family.

So there would have to be a trust there, and chemistry, and like-minded thoughts about the past, present, and future of the family and everything. And people would have to understand, y'know.. the concept.

If those hurdles could be jumped, then I'm open for that to happen.

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Ataru - 03-04-2013

Having read your wiki post and your character profile on the forum I'd say that I personally would be down for joining that family. I tend to RP characters who take on a supporting or even subservient role, so I'm perfectly fine with the idea of someone else dictating the lore of the family and the direction of the RP. My RP views are pretty much the same as yours (though I'm into yuri/shoujo-ai and not the gender opposite, not that I mind it I just don't personally RP it) and hey we're even both making male Miqote.

Yeah, I could see it happening and I'd definitely be interested.

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Drakar - 03-05-2013

I'm definetly in!

I think hyur would be great to create a big family since they are fast-spawning creatures and are known to organize in big families.

I think of a big family and one thing jumps to mind: MAFIA.

Maybe it could be a family of Midlanders that escaped to ~wherever~ and started up from profit in rackets and schemes.

THAT kind of family would be pretty neat - and also give us a sense of purpose.

-----

Just my suggestion. =P I'm up for anything.

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Drakar - 03-12-2013

Have I somehow killed this idea? =/

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Ciara Snow - 03-19-2013

I too would love to have a family IC wise. when I came to Besaid to roleplay I had a partner I thought I could get somewhere with, but within a month he didn't want to roleplay anymore and I feel bored. I would love to make a character who could be part of a family.

RE: Family Based RP Group? - Deagon - 03-20-2013

I like the idea of a family with other players a lot.

But I think it is better for me to have some experience first.