Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn (/showthread.php?tid=17461)

Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Parth Makeo - 10-14-2016

So i thought about this in the morning (Yeah i got up early enough for breakfast for once) and while making toast...I got to thinking...

What sort of appliances could exist in the universe with the technology and limitations? I don't think I ever read if there was a 'toaster' device aside from ovens so a head cannon creation i thought of:

A Toaster would be Ironwork made, fueled by super heating iron with Fire Crystals through a mechanism that 'sparks' them to work and designed like this:
[Image: hotpoint_gazelle.jpg]
The shards have to be changed every couple of uses since it will deplete each time. Reason for the heating plate is that it helps regulate the temperature so it doesn't get overly hot. Through we may have to reinforce the Exterior to not burn people by accident Sad

Or maybe an elaborate 'Microwave' (I call it the Re-heater!) but instead of Radiowaves, it's heating method is an experimental Ceruleum battery. Meant to reheat food without the waiting time of preparing an oven beforehand.

Or how about Magiteck powered blenders! Made from Mythril Blades, Built in chilling unit (requires 5 ice shards per use) and a strong casing that even rocks cannot break! (Warning: Do not actually put rocks or Coblyns in)

Share your thoughts and crazy ideas :3

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Kilieit - 10-14-2016

I handwave a looooot of stuff with "shards make it happen", tbh.

Like my character has a chilling cupboard (fridge) powered by ice shards, a bath/shower that can be heated more or less instantaneously with fire shards, and, yeah, indoor plumbing, since the housing items we're provided with seems to imply it exists.

His oven is an Aga-like construction that's always on & therefore doesn't need to be pre-heated. I think it's powered with regular ol' firewood, though it can probably be done with fire shards too.

I say that the shards are by far the most expensive thing on his groceries list, and they're also the first thing to drop off if he's short on wages that month. Because of their huge versatility and relative (relative) rarity, as well as how comparitively difficult they are to import/export due to... you know... MSQ occurrences, I figure they're probably pretty expensive as convenience materials go. It explains why regular joes don't seem to use them as a matter of course.

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Valence - 10-15-2016

If Magi doesn't cut it, then just use Magitek >.>

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - N'khai - 10-15-2016

I think a lot can be hand waved or overlooked when it comes to items like this in RP. Electricity appears to be present in places like the Golden Saucer, probably others but the Saucer itself comes immediately to mind. I can't recall if we've ever gotten an ingame explanation for devices and lighting like those, I'm not well versed in the esoteric. 

I don't think those who argue against technology in Eorzea have very good ground to stand on. We can't take much in the way of logic from our own world and apply it to a fantasy one. Of course there are some consistent things no matter where you go but I assume I'm not being misunderstood on my point.

The subject of technology adapting in a fantasy setting makes me think back to a scene from the Legend of Korra where you see Lightning Benders supplying energy to what looks like a power plant. It makes me wonder if some similar facility exists anywhere in Eorzea where Thaumaturge or Lightning Crystals are gathered to help supply energy.

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Maril - 10-15-2016

"Is what I am about to introduce going to be entirely unseen, unheard of and super consequential to the world I am roleplaying in?'" Is what I try and ask myself when I find a greyzone, where there isn't really a whole lot of evidence that says something is possible but also not a whole lot of evidence that says it definitely isn't. I'm of the oldfashioned opinion that if something significantly and groundbreaking is to be introduced.. Say the invention of a car in Eorzea, it's not up to the roleplayers but rather the lore developers to implement. 
When it comes to magitek my main concern is always with ceruleum (and the availability of fuel in general), because it's (at least from what I have seen) been alluded to as being something that there's only one Ul'dahran based mining company that gets out of northern thanalan, and it seems to be if not rare then at least expensive (Not to mention the fact that it is also explosive o.o "Yes hello I need the fire department, my toaster blew up my house"). So whilst something might be technically possible, it might not be practically viable unless you tie in connections/wealth. Crystals on the other hand appear to be everywhere, and readily available - so much so that they get put in potions like the Ether, which I figure would be widely used by Eorzea's aether proficient peoples.  

Overall I try to mix a little of the old and the new when it comes to commodities - perhaps instead of a toaster I'd go for an approach of a grill-pan thing over an open hearth, for fridges I've mixed the cooling power of crystals with the practice of salting all of your meat and also the fact that cellars tend to be naturally more cold so it makes sense to have a storage for such on the lower level of a house. Ovens are simply powered by coal, and there's probably some semblance of plumbing and also ways to lead smoke away from rooms.. So like some sort of ventilation that leads to the chimney?
But this also reflects my tendency to play characters who aren't well off, so they would not be the types to get their hands on the latest new inventions and certainly wouldn't use something that costs a lot to keep running.

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Valence - 10-15-2016

From what we have seen Eorzea seems to be stuck in a pre steam age era, but with the small but progressively growing arrival of fancy stuff like Magitek and Garlond patented stuff.

As any new and rare technology, this has to be quite costly. Now, add to that that cerruleum is super expensive and rare and you get an easy picture of how wealthy you have to be to actually have access to a 'modern day' equivalent life. Something I could see more common in Garlemald, but not in Eorzea yet. It's just starting to industrialize, barely.

Now then, even on crystals, they are said not to be a standard, basic commodity either. Considering the emphasis on those on the story when it's said that getting a lot of them is rather arduous (in relation to fueling primals and whatnot), it's only logical to conclude that crystals as well, are not unlimited and seem to imply a certain wealth, especially if you consume a lot of those.

The thing is with Eorzea, is that we often forget the capital importance of Magi in the every day lives on its inhabitants. Magi seems to impregnate everything (like technology does for us). They have magicked brooms, use small and punny crystals to convert into aspected energy to do various things, etc. I'm mean, it's not exactly wizards in Harry Potter, but not that far.

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Mia Moui - 10-20-2016

I should think that something like magic would greatly reduce the advancement of technology. if you had a spell to keep food fresh or cool or hot, then things like refrigerators & microwave ovens would be less likely to ever be developed.  Poor people would be unlikely to develop these technologies independently and as tech builds on tech, any advancements would be slower to occur.

I do think there would be a number of "Da Vinci" types, especially in the cities, selling all manner of useful or useless junk crafted from all sorts of things.  Some people would rather use an innovative tech solution rather than doing it themselves.  There's a reason many people don't cook for themselves anymore.

Or something like a linkpearl, would telephones ever be invented with linkpearls in existence? And without telephones, would the Internet have ever been invented?  Does Eorzea have an Internet?

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Oli! - 10-20-2016

(10-15-2016, 09:08 AM)Maril Wrote: I'm of the oldfashioned opinion that if something significantly and groundbreaking is to be introduced.. Say the invention of a car in Eorzea, it's not up to the roleplayers but rather the lore developers to implement. 

WHERE'S MY CLOUDBIKE SQUEENIX

WHERE IS IT

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Lydia Lightfoot - 10-20-2016

I like to imagine there's a whole corps of conjurers whose day to day life consists of using water magic to somehow make toilets be a thing.

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Gegenji - 10-20-2016

(10-20-2016, 01:47 PM)Sena Varont Wrote: I like to imagine there's a whole corps of conjurers whose day to day life consists of using water magic to somehow make toilets be a thing.

Why would you need to have Conjurers to do that? Just some proper plumbing will cover what's needed, right? Aquaducts and stuff, which either already exist or is not that far of a stretch to imagine being in place since the Romans had running water back in their time.

RE: Modern Day Convenience in Hydaelyn - Valence - 10-21-2016

Yeah but japanese toiltets powered by conjurers is way cooler dude?