Hydaelyn Role-Players
Evidence [Closed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Evidence [Closed] (/showthread.php?tid=173)

Evidence [Closed] - Shamadconde - 07-01-2010

"What have you found Sergeant?"
"It looks like a journal of some kind sir. I can't read the language and even if I could, the handwriting is chocobo scratch."

The Elezen Lieutenant examined the book. It looked like it had had hard use. He riffled through the pages. Not a lot of entries. Someone wasn't very diligent about filling it out apparently. He opened it to a random page. He stared at the writing with intense scrutiny. He suddenly recognized it. It was an older dialect spoken by the Lalafell Dunesfolk. Reading was made harder by the handwriting. The sergeant was right. It did resemble chocobo scratch. He decided to take it to a colleague of his. That freak had studied just about every language known. He walked to the Coral Tower and knocked on Shadar's door.

"Hello? Who is it?" asked a rather squeaky voice.
"It's Grolm, Shadar. I have something I need you to translate."
The door opened and there stood an older Lalafell. Grolm could tell Shadar was from the Dunesfolk clans by his luminous eyes and the gemstone on his forehead. If anyone knew the language in this journal, Shadar did.

"What have you brought me Grolm?"
"It's a book found near a Roegadyn corpse behind The Drowning Wench. He was decapitated and there were strange marks written in blood on his chest. I suspect the killer dropped that during the crime or while he was escaping. Can you read it?"
"Yes I can. Barely. Whoever taught this person to write should be ashamed of themselves. Let's see......This is certainly an older dialect and not one from Eorzea. One of the outer islands perhaps? Give me an hour to study it and I will give you an estimate how long it will take translate the whole thing."

Grolm sat in a chair and watched as his friend read the book and wrote down his translation. Grolm smiled. It really didn't take much to get Shadar to ignore the world. Shadar looked up an hour later.

"Grolm, this is going to take a good bit of time. I hadn't realized at first glance just how condensed this person's handwriting is. Here is the first page. It doesn't contain anything that will help you but it will give you an understanding of the difficulty of this language. What you have there is only a tenth of the page and it covers one in our language. Come back tomorrow for more."

Grolm grimaced and took the page. He started reading.

11/3
Today is gonna be a great day! It’s Mom’s birthday tomorrow and I’m gonna find something in the ruins.

11/4
Well I’m back. I gave mom a ruby the size of my fist! I climbed down those dusty ruins until I reached the bottom. There I explored until I found a room filled wall to wall with gold. I found a book with an amulet in the cover on a pedestal. I picked it and a jolt went through me. It fit perfectly in my pocket. I saw the ruby, grabbed it, and presented it to my mother. She and dad gasped and asked where I found it. I showed them and they told the elders. The elders were amazed and they emptied out the room. The tribe is rich! They say I get a cut of it. I'm gonna get a chocobo chick!

Grolm grunted. "Are you telling me that this is the journal of a kid?"
Shadar nodded. "I'm afraid so. Keep in mind that there are many pages and it could cover many decades. I flipped through the book and I'm afraid of whoever wrote it. I've read some nasty things in my life but there is stuff here that makes my blood run cold. For the best profile on the murderer, we need to see his progression. I think he kept his record of his life in here. Who knows? We might get lucky."

Grolm nodded. "I'll be back later for more."
Shadar waved him away. "Yes yes. Get back to your work. I'll work as fast as I can. You should know that by now."
Grolm chuckled and left.

Re: Evidence - Shamadconde - 07-02-2010

Grolm returned the next day. He knocked on Shadar's door and after waiting an appropriate amount of time, walked in. He knew when Shadar was interested in something, there was no way he would notice something as minor as someone at the door. He looked in and saw his friend hard at work. He chuckled to himself and walked over. Shadar glanced up and smiled.

"Here you are Grolm. I got as much as I could."
"I understand."
Grolm sat down in a nearby chair and started reading.

11/7
I have started reading the book I found with the amulet. It has details about the amulet and what it's for. I have had to read out loud because a lot of the words are hard to pronounce. When I said the words “Aman d'masam, Ye aven ninto sai” I felt the amulet jump on my chest. I looked down at it but it hadn't changed at all. I shrugged and continued reading until it was time for bed.

11/12
I had a nightmare last night. I was in the cave and floating in front of me was a dragon, flapping his wings. He started chasing me around the ruins and screaming something about killing. I screamed and woke up. I saw a faint glow coming from somewhere. I looked down and saw it was coming from the amulet. This is what it looks like:
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
I watched it glow for the rest of the night. It was fascinating and just a little frightening.

Grolm looked up and stared at Shadar. "Do you know what that phrase was? Do you recognize the drawing?"
Shadar looked at him, astonishment on his face. "No I don't on both questions and that scares me a little. I don't know what that incantation was, but it didn't sound good. It had the rhythm of a spell of enormous trouble. I hope we find this guy soon."
Grolm nodded. "I guess I will see you later. If I were to get someone else in here, would they be of any help?"
Shadar shook his head. "They would only get in the way. Just be patient and I can get this done faster."
Grolm nodded again and left.

Re: Evidence - Shamadconde - 07-03-2010

Grolm walked back to the station. One of the probationary officers walked up to him. "So I hear you found something interesting at that murder scene sir. Is there anything you can share at this time?"
Grolm smiled. "Not yet. Shadar is still translating the book and apparently it's slow going. I'm sure that he will finish soon. The book isn't very long and Shadar is an accomplished translator. We will catch this killer soon."
The officer nodded and walked away. Grolm stared at the officer's back. It was unusual to have a subordinate being so abrupt. He shrugged and walked back to his house. On his stoop was a package. He opened it and dropped it, shocked. Inside was a Roegadyn head with 1 written on his forehead. Grolm picked it back up and ran back to the station. He burst inside and ran to the Homocide Division. He plopped it in front of the desk sergeant. "I need this looked at by our best mage. I suspect this is the head of the murdered Roegadyn we are investigating. Tell him or her to try and see if they can sense who it was. I'm going to see if I can get Shadar to hurry up."
The desk sergeant nodded. Grolm rushed out and ran to Shadar's room. He didn't even bother to knock. Shadar looked up sharply as Grolm burst in.
"What is it?! You scared the life out of me!"
"I'm sorry Shadar. I just had the life scared out of me. Whoever dropped that journal just left a package on my doorstep with a head in it. Is there any way you can finish your translation sooner?"
"As a matter of fact, yes. I have skimmed a little and it seems the person's handwriting improves remarkably. I can probably finish by tomorrow night if I really push it. Here is what I've gotten so far. It gets worse from here for whoever wrote this journal."
Grolm grabbed the pages and sat down in his usual chair. He started to read.

11/20
It happened again. I woke up covered in blood. I searched my body and I don't have a wound. I changed my clothes and looked out my window. On the ground was a sheep, shredded. I used one of the spells I was taught in school and washed the mess away so no one will connect it with me. I don't know what is going on but it's scaring me.

11/25
I had the nightmare again. I got as far as the dragon when the nightmare changed. I was staring down at myself walking down the road, naked for some reason. I walked up to a stranger coming to trade and started to mutter and dance. The stranger exploded with ice spikes and covered me with gore. I saw the amulet was glowing. It couldn't be doing this, could it?

11/26
They found a body on the road we were traveling. He was ripped into pieces. They are saying a cactuar did it. He was filled with holes and it looked like he had been ambushed on his way to our caravan. I'm hoping it was a coincidence that I dreamed about this last night.

Grolm looked up. "This sounds ominous."
Shadar rolled his eyes. "Duuhh. I have a feeling that this will get worse as it goes along."
The door burst open. The probationary officer from before burst in. "Sir! They found three more bodies behind The Drowning Wench!"
Grolm shot up. "Let's go!" he cried as he followed the officer out the door. Shadar looked on and got back to work. A few hours later, he was done. It really had gone a lot faster once he put his mind to it. He had just finished tucking the translated pages into his safe when the door burst open with a bang. He stood up and was said "Grolm! I just finished...." when everything in the room, including him, flashed to ash.

Re: Evidence - Shamadconde - 07-04-2010

Grolm arrived at the crime scene huffing and puffing, completely out of breath. He looked down at the bodies. A female Miquote, and two male Hyur. The Miquote looked to have had her head encased in ice while she was still alive. He could tell it hadn't been quick. One of the Hyur looked to have been drowned. His head was wet but his clothes were dry. The last Hyur still had his upper torso crushed in a thin crack. The other officers pulled on his legs. They pulled too hard. The body ripped in half. A junior officer tottered off and vomited into the sea. Grolm felt queasy himself but he had seen worse. This was a close second. He swore to himself that he would catch this sick bastard if it was the last thing he did. There was nothing he could do here. The best he could do would be to read that journal and pray the murderer slipped up. He walked back to Shadar's room. He arrived to find the door slightly ajar and the smell of char in the air. He rushed inside and gasped. Everything was ash. He looked around and saw the skeleton of what had been his friend not 30 minutes ago. He shook with rage and despair. He knew who had done this. It was the owner of the journal. He had come to clean up after himself.

Grolm searched the room and found Shadar's safe. Shadar kept his most precious papers there. He had always known the possiblity of his untimely demise and had prepared for it as best he could. Grolm opened the safe. He found a note addressed to him on top of a pile of papers. It said:

"Grolm,
I have finished the translation of the journal. It's not good. This person, if you can call him a person, has been at this for 12 years now. 6 people a year as far as the journal can tell me. You need to get yourself some protection. If you are reading this, he has killed me. Protect these pages with your life. May the Twelve bless you and grant you the ability to catch this monster.
Your friend,
Shadar

Grolm grabbed the pages and ran as fast as he could for the station. He ran to his office and shut the thick wooden door. He threw down the crossbar. This building had been built in anticipation of a battle that never happened so there were many unneccesary security devices throughout. He thanked the Twelve for the all. He picked up the first page and began to read.

12/4
I killed him. I can't believe I did that! He was one of my best friends and I crushed him. Ever since I got that book, nothing has been right. We were exploring the ruins again to see if there were any more treasure chambers and we walked into a room. The amulet I got off the book started to glow. My hands started to draw symbols in the air and I started chanting in a strange tongue. I tried to stop but it was impossible. The walls started to move in. Mtaal screamed and ran towards me. A rock popped out of the ceiling and brained him. He dropped and the walls crashed down on him. The amulet stopped glowing and my involuntary actions stopped too. I heard running footsteps and saw my parents. I started to cry incoherently. They got out Mtaal's body. He was lifeless. The funeral ended an hour ago. I've tried and tried but the amulet is stuck on my neck. One of the stone is glowing gold. I'm going to sleep.

12/5
It happened again. I was thirsty, so I went outside to the river and saw Duadhe taking a drink. The amulet started glowing again, this time blue. I started to mutter and sway. The river grew a hand and grabbed him. He opened his mouth to scream. The water filled his lungs and drowned him. I felt a not unpleasant sensation through my body. Another stone started glowing blue. I walked back to my tent and went back to sleep.

12/6
They found Duadhe’s body today. They concluded that he fell in and drowned. I thought about that sensation I had when Duadhe died. I wandered the village in a daze. I had killed two friends and I felt…nothing. I passed the bonfire in memoriam of Duadhe and Mtaal. I saw Bekkar poking in the flames. I felt the amulet warm and my body tingle. One of the stones started glowing red. I started to mutter and dance. A wall of flame swept out of the fire and Bekkar flashed to ash without a sound. Nothing was left. I felt a very pleasant sensation all through my body. I could get used to this.

12/7
A storm is coming. I can feel it. Tonight I complete the circle of stones on my amulet and gain my immortality. The book says so and so does the voice from the amulet.

12/14
Wow that was fun. I lured Tsorovan, Aldieb, and Seren out into the storm claiming it would be fun to watch the lightning. They all believed me of course. I've become a very good liar these past days. We all sneaked out of our various homes and walked to a nearby hill. We stood and watched the lightning strike far away and grow closer. While their backs were turned, I grabbed the amulet and started to mutter and dance, careful not to make a sound that could be heard. I concentrated on the purple stone that was glowing and screamed the final word just as a fork of lightning struck. It arced down and hit Tsorovan right in the head. He fell, smoke billowing from his mouth. Aldieb and Seren screamed and started to run. I touched the green stone and yelled another incantation. A mighty wind rose and struck Aldieb as he was running. He was torn in half. Seren was doused in his steaming viscera. She screamed and froze in place. Perfect. I touched the white stone and uttered another spell. Chunks of ice rained down on her, the smallest being the size of my head. She died as a spear of ice pinned her to the ground. The pleasure of it all made my vision go white. I floated into the air. All the stones on the amulet started to glow intensely. A dome of pure power enveloped me and expanded to cover the whole village. Waves of energy exploded out of me. I watched as the village disintegrated. Out of the wreckage, the ruby I gave my mother floated to me. It clicked into the center of the amulet and everything went black. I felt the amulet, now complete, hit my chest and start to enter my body. It forced its way into my chest and settled behind my sternum. The pain was enormous and frightening. I heard a voice in my head telling me to stop being such a baby and that it would heal. I stared down and watched as a hole the size of my fist closed up. I fainted and woke up an hour ago. I can feel the amulet moving and I think its growing. I'm scared. What did I just unleash on the world?

Grolm's eyes widened. Then he yawned. He looked up. It was morning. Had it really only been last night that he had brought that journal to Shadar? It wasn't possible. It couldn't be. He yawned again and fell asleep with the pages still in his hands.

Re: Evidence - Shamadconde - 07-05-2010

Grolm woke up hours later. He stretched and looked at the pages. He sighed and put them on the side table. He opened his door. He started when he saw the probationary officer outside his door.

"What are you doing outside my door?"
"After they found your friend, they detailed me to be your partner/bodyguard sir. I was top of my class in protection skills."
"Fine. Lets get some food. By the way, what is your name? I know it isn't Hey You and I doubt you want me to call you that."
"I'm Mishrac. You can call me whatever you like. You are my superior sir."
"Ok. Let's go."

They walked down to the dining room. Grolm had the megalocrab with a salad and Mishrac had the aldgoat burger. Over dinner, Grolm filled in Mishrac on the murders and the journal. Mishrac told Grolm about the witness statements. The witnesses had seen a Lalafell transform into some sort of demon and kill his victims with a different spell each. None of the witnesses could describe the Lalafell. All they saw was a short figure with luminous eyes. They continued to discuss the case back to Grolm's room. They both took seats in Grolm's room. Mishrac started reading the pages and Grolm continued reading the others.

1/10
I've finally gotten to Luthadel. It was a tough journey but I made it just in time. I was tired and incredibly thirsty. The sea air feels good on my skin. I have found an inn that doesn't ask too many questions. Lucky for me the treasure I found was still intact after the explosion. There is a local guild for magic casters. I've applied and they are considering me. There is much more for me to learn and they know that. They say they are willing to teach me further. I will get my answer next week. I'm still in shock by what happened at the caravan. It felt great at the time but I think that amulet had bewitched me to like it. I'm afraid of what it might make do next.

1/17
The Union accepted me as an apprentice. I'm going to be in training for quite awhile apparently. I thought I was exceptional. I was wrong. It looks like having that amulet won't help my skills any. They have put me to work scrubbing floors and other menial labor. I have to use magic for everything. They say I will be powerful. They say it won't take THAT long. They say a lot of things about a lot of things. I hope its all worth it.

7/10
Wow have I been busy! I look back and see why I haven't written in here for quite awhile. They kept me going all day and when they could, all night. I know why now too. I needed to learn how to cast and control magic no matter what the condition of my body and mind. In 5 months it will have been 1 year since my entire family and clan was killed. I'm still having nightmares about that week. The amulet is still moving and glowing inside me. It causes constant pain. I can see the lights under my skin but no one else seems to. They appear to be traveling through me. This is not good. Not good at all.

9/14
Time flys when you’re being trained! I have gone up a rank and now no longer have to clean every surface in sight. The lights have moved much farther. I have a feeling they are nearing their final places. I’m hoping they will stay there. It is very unpleasant to have such sharp thing moving through the body. I’m starting to hear a voice in my head. I hope I’m just crazy and that the voice isn’t the amulet.

Mishrac looked up from his reading.
"This is one sick person sir. I hope we catch him soon."
"Me too. Me too."
Grolm went back to his reading.

Re: Evidence - Shamadconde - 07-05-2010

12/3
Well tomorrow will be one year since the entire clan was destroyed. I’m feeling really sad and lonely. No one here wants to be my friend. I’ve overheard some of the others talking about me. Apparently I’m weird to them. That makes me a mad Lalafell but there is nothing I can do about it. The crystals finally made it to their final places. About time too. I’m sick of being in pain and hearing that voice screaming about killing.

12/4
It has now been 1 year since the deaths of my family and friends. The voice is telling me to kill the people who were talking about me. I think it might be right.

12/5
I DID IT!! I killed the nasty people and now I FEEL GREAT! I think I will keep track of my killings in here as a reminder.
Might as well start here:
Male burned to death
Male electrocuted
Male drowned
Male suffocated
Male crushed
Female impaled

(Note from Shadar: “Grolm, it looks like he got bored writing his thoughts and what was happening so he just repeated this for the past 12 years. We are dealing with someone very dangerous.”)

12/5

Male burned to death
Male electrocuted
Male drowned
Male suffocated
Male crushed
Female impaled

12/5
I think the police are on to me. I’ve heard about the ships going to Eorzea. I should probably get on one quick before they catch me. Any way:

Male burned to death
Male electrocuted
Male drowned
Male suffocated
Male crushed
Female impaled

12/14
I have had too many close calls recently. They are coming for me. I’m on the ship to Limsa Lominsa and I intend to go to Gridania as soon as I can. Someone’s coming! Gotta hide.

1/5
I made it. The crystals are telling me I need to kill again. I guess new land, new blood. I see a Roegadyn that will be perfect. After twenty years of doing this, I need some stimulation. Time to try another method.

Grolm threw down the pages. "These didn't help at all! All I know is this psycho is dangerous and psycho. How are we ever going to find him?"
Mishrac shrugged. "With our excellent investigation skills?"
Grolm chuckled. "Definitely."
There was a knock at the door. Mishrac opened the door. He came back with an envelope. He handed it to Grolm.
"What's this?"
"It was sent from a city called Luthadel. It's addressed to the Limsa Lominsa police department. You're the closest officer to the port."
Grolm ripped open the envelope. He read its contents. He stood up straight.
"This is very important. They sent description of a serial killer they had there. They tracked him here. The information they have given us corroborates what was found in that journal. To the department! We need to spread this as far as we can!"

They rushed out the door. The storm soaked them as they ran to the station. They turned a corner when they bounced off a wall of ice. They got up, shaking their heads. A figure walked up. A squeaky voice was heard.
"Ahhh. My last victim and an extra. Yay! A twofer. Well enough talk. You die now!"

There was a purple light and lightning struck Mishrac. He vaporized and Grolm was thrown back. The envelope fell from his hand and blew away. The figure walked towards Grolm. Grolm looked up and saw the figure was a Lalafell. He looked exactly like the description in the letter. He sat up. "Why are you doing this?"
The Lalafell laughed. "Why not?" Grolm tensed and and kicked the Lalafell in the chest. The Lalafell flew a few feet and hit a wall. Grolm started to run but was stopped when his feet were frozen to the ground. The Lalafell walked over. "For that you die slow."

All that was found of Grolm's body was his skin, whole and unbroken. It was laid on his bed with a pile of ashed on the chest.