Hydaelyn Role-Players
FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest (/showthread.php?tid=16536)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Steel Wolf - 06-27-2016

A RDM would never work in this game right now, as the endgame is all about heal checks or DPS checks - neither of which would see a RDM as being useful. The Meta Demands Specialization, and RDM's are too middling to offer anything of worth at cap. All it would do is serve a few roleplayers' interest, and we know how this or any other MMO feels about that.

SAM is a given. In fact the only way I would be surprised is if it were NOT announced. The only question is what role it would fill. I lean more towards DPS, but who knows? There could be a case for a ronin facing down dragons by him/herself I guess? I just think the art of a samurai's swordplay is more fitting of a DPS role. But we've been surprised before.

So where does that leave the other jobs? Well, we still have that damn Musketeer's Guild in Limsa winking at us, and we have seen Mistbeard in action. Maybe that's our new tank; a sword-and-flintlock monster that offers alternate single-target and AoE moves.

As for the next healing class? That one is trickier. Assuming we're going to Ala Mhigo this expack, perhaps there's a job hiding there that can offer buff and heals. Maybe a Dancer? Eh.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-27-2016

(06-27-2016, 02:23 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: A RDM would never work in this game right now, as the endgame is all about heal checks or DPS checks - neither of which would see a RDM as being useful. The Meta Demands Specialization, and RDM's are too middling to offer anything of worth at cap. All it would do is serve a few roleplayers' interest, and we know how this or any other MMO feels about that.

SAM is a given. In fact the only way I would be surprised is if it were NOT announced. The only question is what role it would fill. I lean more towards DPS, but who knows? There could be a case for a ronin facing down dragons by him/herself I guess? I just think the art of a samurai's swordplay is more fitting of a DPS role. But we've been surprised before.

So where does that leave the other jobs? Well, we still have that damn Musketeer's Guild in Limsa winking at us, and we have seen Mistbeard in action. Maybe that's our new tank; a sword-and-flintlock monster that offers alternate single-target and AoE moves.

As for the next healing class? That one is trickier. Assuming we're going to Ala Mhigo this expack, perhaps there's a job hiding there that can offer buff and heals. Maybe a Dancer? Eh.

Ughhh I want to be a corsair so bad.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Valence - 06-27-2016

(06-27-2016, 11:29 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 11:11 AM)Valence Wrote: Why not a mage tank for a change? Or even craziest, a ranged tank (with actual gameplay limited range, shotgun type)? I don't know, make us dream.

Well I think that a mag

interrupted

There's some merit to the id

interrupted

It would certainly be diffe

interrupted

I don't think other MMOs have tri

target dead interrupted

I'm definitely eager to see what else they come up with, though.

Oh comon, be a bit imaginative, why would that kind of mage need to be vulnerable to interruption...? A heavy mage with solid barriers and heavy armour. Wouldn't that be original for a change?

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Warren Castille - 06-27-2016

Here's what I've been stuck on:

1) We know Samurai is in the cards, Yoshi has said he wanted to implement it but they picked NIN instead. SAM is a when, not an if.

2) Ala Mhigo is a likely nod for the expansion, but we already know about Mhigo's secret weapons: The Fists of Rhalgr! They've been in the game since 1.x, actually, so that's not going to be the class.

3) SAM doesn't quiiiiite mesh with what we currently know about Mhigo lore. Pikemen and griffons and monks, yes, but there's not much historical precedent for another kind of uber unit to get revealed.

4) Of course, the 3.0 jobs had dick-all to do with Ishgardian historical lore prior to THEIR reveal, so my previous point doesn't count.

4) I have no idea what to expect outside of SAM showing up. I'd love a mystic-arts sword guy since we get a peak at that in 2.55, but that's another weapon that would split the difference on use (the other being ACN/SMN/SCH books). They've expressed regret at the armory system, so...

5) I don't know what to expect, which is a rehash of my previous point. SAM feels like antihype, nothing else currently fits the bill. Anxious and Looking Forward To It.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Celise - 06-27-2016

I'd love to see a spell fencer type thing! I'd eat that up. What about a Chemist class as a healer? Could be cool.

And yeah, I hear you. No more bars, I hope.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Caspar - 06-27-2016

As long as Sam is Doman to complete the Cyan reference I will likely be happy with it.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Warren Castille - 06-27-2016

(06-27-2016, 04:27 PM)Caspar Wrote: As long as Sam is Doman to complete the Cyan reference I will likely be happy with it.

That's the most sensible location for it to come from, but I'd be a little remiss if the expansion focuses on Ala Mhigo (big IF, I know) and the first job revealed is... Doman. Great.

Now, this is assuming of course that Ala Mhigo is the crux of the story and ignoring anything from 3.4 or 3.5. How awesome would it be if we end up not just with Ala Mhigo, but pushing back against the Empire as a whole? We meet up with the Doman resistance, similar to the Ala Mhigan resistance, and they've got a whole slew of new toys for us. We start taking back homelands and something something WAR.

...I have reversed my opinion and badly, badly need this in my life now.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Valence - 06-27-2016

Don't worry, the next jobs will obviously be based on the goofiest roles ever, like a mounted character fighting with a megaphone, a blitzball player and his ball, and a combat culinarian with a fork that can consume their enemies.

On a more serious note, I always assumed that we might very well use Ala-Migho as a base city like Ishgard in 3.0, and then go all around, including garlic territories. Probably eventually meet the emperor and that kind of stuff...

I would really love to see the garlic capital, but I'm not sure that would happen. Two big cities in one go? Not sure.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Momo - 06-27-2016

A major move against the Garleans with an expansion that visits two of the major outpost cities would be amazing...I have no faith in it, but would be amazing. Doma and Ala Mhigo...ugh that would be too much for my heart, and the RP would be awesome!

I really do hope for dancer, I want Roe male dancers twirling around the field like woah.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Caspar - 06-27-2016

What will truly happen is all Classes will be reworked into Squire and then the cities will collapse under the cacophany of thousands of players spamming Yell while they /yell.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Scaith - 06-27-2016

(06-27-2016, 07:36 PM)Momo Wrote: A major move against the Garleans with an expansion that visits two of the major outpost cities would be amazing...I have no faith in it, but would be amazing. Doma and Ala Mhigo...ugh that would be too much for my heart, and the RP would be awesome!

I really do hope for dancer, I want Roe male dancers twirling around the field like woah.
How to scare off mobs 101 with male roe dancers.... 

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Doma fleshed out since the introduction to them, and Ala Mhigo would make for a nice outlying desert city. the Sam and dancers could definitely be wonderful additions to the class list, though I've some weapon reservations when it comes to Sam. Mayaps if they go to Ala Mhigo, would we possibly see Onion knight or another spellblade? I don't think that increasing the cap this next expansion would do us any good though right now, maybe in another one or two would be better suited for later players.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Seriphyn - 06-27-2016

If 3.0 was about the sky, perhaps 4.0 (if set in Ala Mhigo) will be set underground.

The Duskwight caverns could be an entry point across the fortified border from Gyr Abania to the Shroud, not to mention the 'grand finale' could be set in the unearthed area in Ala Mhigo where they originally found the Ultima Weapon.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Kellach Woods - 06-27-2016

(06-27-2016, 02:23 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: A RDM would never work in this game right now, as the endgame is all about heal checks or DPS checks - neither of which would see a RDM as being useful. The Meta Demands Specialization, and RDM's are too middling to offer anything of worth at cap. All it would do is serve a few roleplayers' interest, and we know how this or any other MMO feels about that.

Any class that's a call back will be reworked as much as possible to fit into the trinity. As such, RDM as tank. You're welcome.

BLU can work as any of the three, but tank can work if you make their abilities just work on themselves and rework others in ways unseen before - player Bad Breath as an aggro grabber? Yes.

Other than the classes that have already been reused or reworked (E.G.: AST for TIM), anything's on the table as far as I'm concerned. SAM can be tank (heavy armor, Bladecatch, etc.) or DPS (Gil Toss, Sword Break from FFT, etc.)

The only one that I can think is completely off the table is Mime or any of the special classes from FFT (and even then, we got Machinist so that's not even as much a truism as I'd like to admit!) Mime is, simply put, too bland beyond it's mimic skill, and they won't let people have that. Even the Bravely series has rolled Mime into Freelancer these days.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Varinh - 06-27-2016

This fall is going to be fantastic. New Pokemon game, new FFXIV expansion, and my birthday. :D

Also, RIFT is the first game I can think of off the top of my head having mage tanks. They had everything come to think of it, even rogue tanks and heals.

RE: FFXIV's next expansion to be revealed during October Fanfest - Cato - 06-28-2016

I'm hoping that we only get one new class for 4.0 so there's more time for development elsewhere as well as more room to tweak the existing classes by combining some abilities or even removing a few of the more lacklustre ones. There's a genuine risk of needless button bloat if the existing abilities are joined with a bunch of new ones.

I also do not want to see a new playable race added just yet. I'd rather see them focus instead on expanding the options for the existing playable races. I would very much like to be able to play a Highlander with classically handsome features and real eyebrows. I also want every race to have a muscle tone slider and more options for scars/distinct facial features.