Hydaelyn Role-Players
Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? (/showthread.php?tid=16132)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - Valence - 05-11-2017

Now that I look back, what I truly miss in HW that was there in the world of 2.0, was a decent lore rich environment. I mean, I'm the last one to praise secondary filler quests and other low end gamedesign like that (if a story isn't good enough to be in the main story, then don't put in instead in secondary shit, it will still be shit).

And yet, I look back more fondly to some of the sidequests of 2.0. They were shitty ping pong quests and what you usually have, but we weren't literally drowning in an ocean of them, and they offered nice lore still and exposed the world around for what it was.

In HW, it's... the same I guess, bar the sheer amount, but the world is not quite the same. It's not about the Shroud, Thanalan, La Noscea and all. It's about mostly barren and empty regions, with less than engaging sparse inhabitants (moogle quests? bleh). We had a moutain of such quests compared to ARR, and yet I felt like I had very little to actually eat in terms of meaningful lore.

Right, of course we had Ishgard proper, and a few other very neat lore areas. Airships and skypirates. Really neat stuff actually.

RE: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - Blair - 05-22-2017

Waiting on Stormsblood I decided to get my alt from level 50 to 60. Felt almost like a new expansion doing it over again. Was a warrior so the ques were pretty good. Went all the way to beating a9s-a12s all over again. Was pretty fun along the way. Much easier to gear now then it was though.

RE: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - Tyndles - 05-22-2017

From a story perspective, 3.0 was a lot of fun, after that though, not so much.

RE: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - Verad - 05-22-2017

I'll definitely miss the music, especially for end-of-dungeon bosses.

RE: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - Maqali Qulaan - 06-26-2017

(05-12-2016, 08:26 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Everytime I log into the game after a few days into HW zone and hear that music, I say to myself...

Twelve above, I wish I could play Heavensward for the first time again

I play every type of video game (from Stellaris to Witcher 3), and Heavensward 3.0 MSQ was up there as one of my finest video game experiences. I would give anything to purge my memory of it and play it once over.

I mean, I suppose there's an alt, but it's not the same! 

i cry now
I am playing Heavensward for the first time now, and I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I honestly thought it was going to be a 'trudge through this so I can join the rest of creation in the new stuff' but... yeah. Going to make sure I savor this because it's only the first run once!

RE: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - Aaron - 06-26-2017

I miss Heavenswards Main Menu design and music.

Way better than the Stormblood wallpaper

RE: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - Kieron Lohengrin - 06-27-2017

I leveled my samurai from 50-64 through Heavensward main story quests, so it's very fresh in my memory. It felt like the Skyrim of xpacs, environment-wise. Similar to others my pros are:

+ the music, especially the Alexander raids and Foundation nighttime
+ dragons & their tragic thousand-year history
+ making you care about Aymeric and co.
+ adventurer squadrons: yes it's more FIFA management-style bullshit, but it lays the foundation for something more involved, a la Valkyria Chronicles / XCOM. Would also very much like to replace my pocket chocobo healer companion with an actual soldier I trained

Missed opportunities were:

- underusing the Knights of the Round. All we get to see of them are a couple of instanced duties where they're just dicks. Would've been more impactful to have some of them befriend you, be involved in quests, be morally ambiguous but ultimately beholden to the archbishop
- underusing the other noble houses. It's just all House Fortemps all Count Edmont all the time, and you're just told that the other houses are occasionally being dicks. In general, telling instead of showing is a problem at certain points in the story
- relegating some of the most interesting concepts (sky pirates, warring triad primal fights) to post-story side content instead of part of the MSQs. Sophia/Sephirot/Zurvan should've been the MSQ story trials for another solid FF6 callback, with Ravana/Bismarck as the optionals.
- Why are airships only for exploratory missions? Why can't I live in sky pirate airship housing instead of buying an apartment or plot of land?

RE: Anyone else "miss" Heavensward? - V'aleera - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 03:38 AM)Kieron Lohengrin Wrote: Why can't I live in sky pirate airship housing instead of buying an apartment or plot of land?

Because that would be smart housing design and we don't do that here