Hydaelyn Role-Players
3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: 3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates (/showthread.php?tid=16114)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Aldotsk - 06-06-2016

They are having the positive feedback from low populated server players, but when it comes down to overpopulated servers like Balmung, this is pretty much of a poor decision. 

For me, I still think they could have gone with everyone starting with small plots of house, and build their way into large mansion like you do in Workshop for Airships instead. This would have made people put interest in gathering, and crafting to build their dream house. Also this could prevent from people complaining that they can't purchase large mansion because either they don't have gils to purchase it, or they are too late to purchase it and plots are very limited, or some other people overcharge the large plots or even they just won't ever sell it since that is the last expansion size of the plot. You know, kind of like Sims. Build bigger house as you go along.

There could have been better ways to do it, but it seems like they just make decisions at the last resort. I've just ended up dealing with their decisions because it's Square Enix.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - SicketySix - 06-06-2016

It's not a gil sink if everyone and their mother has access to them. So I'm essence, housing is working exactly how SE planned it. The only problem is, it's doing it a bit more successfully then I think,they originally planned for.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - V'aleera - 06-06-2016

A money sink is a mechanic that permanently removes money from circulation. They only work well when everyone can access them. Less accessibility means less money drained.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Kilieit - 06-06-2016

Yeah... for me as an individual, housing is not a gil sink.

Because I cannot obtain the opportunity to sink gil into it. I'm not even bothering to aim for a gil total with any sort of haste because I cannot access the opportunity to spend it. This removes the incentive for me to participate in the economy in order to amass gil in the first place, which - I mean, correct me if I'm wrong - I believe is supposed to be the entire point of having money sinks in an MMO.

Sure, "not everyone and their mother" should be able to obtain the content in question - but to be a proper money sink, the gating should be the high currency requirement, not what's essentially a "limited edition" system where only a set number of entities per server ever even get a chance to put down the gil...

I'm disabled and therefore don't work. I'm the exact kind of "no-lifer" who should be interested in obtaining money-sink content in a game; especially with my love of "if my character had an X, what would it be like?" type content. But I'm not even trying with housing, because obtaining a plot is too unlikely. I don't want to have all that gil just sitting in a retainer not doing anything when I could have spent the time it took to earn it working on my alts, or levelling secondary classes, or roleplaying, or doing literally anything else.

It's frustrating because it's this huge avenue for crafting, customisation, community integration, unlocking two fairly sizeable minigames (chocobo stables and gardening), and just plain old having fun... that I'm unlikely to be able to access at all unless someone is very, very kind to me and notifies me ahead of time that they're relinquishing a plot of my desired size and location.

Maybe the scarcity is a deliberate design decision and not a technical limitation... but if it is, I don't think it's a design decision I agree with.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Gabineaux - 06-06-2016

It's not exactly a money sink either, if your fc builds airships and builds them to gather certain things that sell well.. over time you can make back what you spent on the house in the first place.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - V'aleera - 06-07-2016

Accessing more goods via airships doesn't put more money into circulation though, it just shuffles the existing money around.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Saravahn - 06-07-2016

(06-06-2016, 10:24 PM)Arvid Greave Wrote: It's not exactly a money sink either, if your fc builds airships and builds them to gather certain things that sell well.. over time you can make back what you spent on the house in the first place.
That's not creating new currency. That's circulating currency already in existence.

If the airship ventures brought back gil itself, then what your saying would be true. But since you're taking items brought back and putting them on the market board, that's just gil changing hands (save for the tax which is a negligible sink if you care to call it that).

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Gabineaux - 06-07-2016

Aaaah true. I can't think of any other gil sinks in this game. WoW had the mount speed crap, which I'm glad we don't have here.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Edda - 06-07-2016

For those of you staying up:

https://twitter.com/mattalos/status/740067993955115008

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - siclest - 06-07-2016

would have been nice of them to add to the maint post before we stayed up all night
:/

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Lydia Lightfoot - 06-07-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - SicketySix - 06-07-2016

(06-07-2016, 02:48 AM)siclest Wrote: would have been nice of them to add to the maint post before we stayed up all night
:/

In all fairness, they DID, in fact, tell us when the servers would be up.
We just wrongly ASSUMED they would be up before then, though time was clearly given.

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Arrelaine - 06-07-2016

Man, only 12 wards added in total.

What are you thiiiiiiiiiiiinking SE???? lol

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - RiniKett - 06-07-2016

[Image: 200_s.gif]
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet's get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

RE: 3.3 Housing Updates - Gegenji - 06-07-2016

Four or five login errors and now a 1.4k person long queue...

I know I shouldn't stress but... I am! I'm afraid all the houses will be gone before I can even get in to TRY for one! :<