Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Cancelled] The Aethersteel Tournament - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [Cancelled] The Aethersteel Tournament (/showthread.php?tid=15710)

Pages: 1 2

The Aethersteel Tournament - Caex Vaeriar - 03-30-2016

Aethersteel Tournament

IC:
Aether and Steel.

The two are believed best kept seperate. Do you want to be a grand master of steel? Then fight steel and draw blood by blade.

Do you want to be a grand master of the Aether and Magic? Then practice in your books, study, and come to dominate your opponents with your mind.

But when the two comes together, we get the Aethersteel. The combination of Might and Magic - the culmination of Intellect and Brawn. Those who fight with more than their mind, and more than their base strength will emerge victorious.

Do you have what it takes to face your opponent - no matter what may be standing on the other side? Then step forward and fight.

OoC:
The Aethersteel Tournament is a Tournament that will be following a system very similar to systems found in Rock Paper Scissors system, where two players face eachother One-On-One and are pitted into combat.

In effect, this is a “Rock, Paper, Scissors” Duel-style System!

In place of Dice, we use a system of Attack - Fast Attack - Heavy Attack. Each member will be given 3 HP. The one who wins the 'round' will be given the first post, followed by the one who lost 'recieving' the attack.

Attack: Beats “Fast Attack”
Fast Attack: Beats “Heavy Attack”
Heavy Attack: Beats “Attack”
In Laymen's Terms, this means that Attack > Fast Attack > Heavy Attack > Attack.

In the case of attacks matching, both players will recieve a point of damage and will post in order. 

A Fight Master will be used for each match, so we will be keeping the tournament a little bit smaller while we test and use this system, gain further Fight Masters for the fight to accommodate more people, and work out any complaints or suggestions that arise to better the tournament!

How Attacks are to be handled:
At the start of the match, each person will enter with a total of 3 HP.

Upon the start of the match, both combatants will send a tell to the Fight Master with either “Attack”, “Fast Attack”, or “Heavy Attack.”

The winner will be announced in local (Say) chat by the Fight Master, and the first post (to represent an attack) will go to the Winner, with the Loser reacting on taking damage.

This process will then repeat itself, until one of the members have reached 0 HP.

The Time

The Time: 
3:00 PM EST
7:00 PM GMT

The Day:
The next tourney will be on Saturday, April 30th 2016 at 3:00 PM EST. 

The Location:
This tournament will take place at the Lifemend Stump, in Central Shroud
This location is subject to change if we get a sponser that prefers to use a house*

Lifemend Stump, Central Shroud (x27, y15) [Thanks given to Ilwe'ran and Nefzan for the clarification!]

Current Needs:

Sponser(s): Currently, we would welcome an "IC sponser" - someone who wants the fights hosted at their home, or likewise, someone who wants to have their name attatched to the tournament as an RP. There is an opportunity for RP in this, I believe. No gil needs to be given to be a sponser, we are however asking for support (weather in manpower or word of mouth.)

Fight Masters: We are in need of additional Fight Masters. We are hoping to have 3-5 Fight Masters total for the first tournament. Once we have the requisite amount of Fight Masters, we will be able to have a proper tournament.

Healers: This is a fight tournament where injuries are expected. We will need healers.

You/Combat Participants! We want to know what you think, if you want to participate, if you’d be able to participate! Having more input, people, etc. Will help us build a strong, unique system that is well distinguished from the common combatant type tournaments!

PLEASE MESSAGE HERE IN PM, IN TELL (Caex'ra Vaeriar), or in skype at Katosu.sotaka if you are interested. Thank you! 

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Teadrinker - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 08:37 PM)Caex Vaeriar Wrote: Attack: Beats “Fast Attack”
In Laymen's Terms, this means that Attack > Fast Attack > Heavy Attack > Attack.

This made me think of Suikoden.

Neat idea. Good luck with your event. o/

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Caex Vaeriar - 03-30-2016

(03-30-2016, 08:40 PM)Teadrinker Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 08:37 PM)Caex Vaeriar Wrote: Attack: Beats “Fast Attack”

This made me think of Suikoden.

Neat idea. Good luck with your event. o/

You know, the original description was meant to be a Suikoden-style system. However, I realised that referencing it that way was a bit vague, sadly. 

In Suikoden, "Heavy Attack" would do more damage (Deathblow), and I couldn't find a way to balance that for this without adding a lot of complexity to it. If there's more interest in it, I think it is possible.

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Ilwe'ran - 04-01-2016

Hello, just to say that Lifemend Stumps is actually in Central Shrouds Smile

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Caspar - 04-01-2016

[Image: 20-PSOGL593.jpg]

Should have to say a hint line before each exchange lol. 
Though whether "DIE PIG" implies an attack or a deathblow is anyone's guess.

5 added some interesting changes in regards to choosing the same action. For instance, you clash weapons if you both Attack, and exchange hits if you both use deathblow. Guard you just stare awkwardly at each other...

I don't know how those mechanics would necessarily translate to this system, but perhaps a roll if you hit the same action.

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Steel Wolf - 04-01-2016

This sounds PRECOSELY up Steel's alley....BUT GUESS WHO HAS TO WORK??

T_T

All the same, best of luck at your event. <3

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Kellach Woods - 04-01-2016

The Chessboxing of Eorzea.

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Caex Vaeriar - 04-02-2016

(04-01-2016, 09:24 PM)Ilwe Wrote: Hello, just to say that Lifemend Stumps is actually in Central Shrouds Smile

Thanks for the clarification. XD Sorry, I went overgeneral with it, and appreciate the correction. I'll update the original post. <3

Steel Wolf Wrote:This sounds PRECOSELY up Steel's alley....BUT GUESS WHO HAS TO WORK??

T_T

All the same, best of luck at your event. <3

I hope we can catch you next time Smile I don't plan to have this be a one-time event; I'd love to give people a fun way to do alternative methods to Dice, even if it's something silly like Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Kellach Wrote:The Chessboxing of Eorzea.

Lol. I know it's silly. x3 Though I looked up Chessboxing. That seems... Almost magical. XD

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Accendie - 04-03-2016

(04-02-2016, 10:28 PM)Caex Vaeriar Wrote:
(04-01-2016, 09:24 PM)Ilwe Wrote: Hello, just to say that Lifemend Stumps is actually in Central Shrouds Smile

Thanks for the clarification. XD Sorry, I went overgeneral with it, and appreciate the correction. I'll update the original post. <3

Just an fyi for the future, folks like specifics with location so here ya go:

Lifemend Stump, Central Shroud (x27, y15)

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Caex Vaeriar - 04-03-2016

(04-01-2016, 09:42 PM)Caspar Wrote: [Image: 20-PSOGL593.jpg]

Should have to say a hint line before each exchange lol. 
Though whether "DIE PIG" implies an attack or a deathblow is anyone's guess.

5 added some interesting changes in regards to choosing the same action. For instance, you clash weapons if you both Attack, and exchange hits if you both use deathblow. Guard you just stare awkwardly at each other...

I don't know how those mechanics would necessarily translate to this system, but perhaps a roll if you hit the same action.

There's been a few ideas spitballed, such as having 3 versions of attacks / 3 versions of defense and alternating which one you get (And doing attack/defense a la grindstone) - but again, complexity.

The original idea was going to be following a system of 1/1/2, where Attack/Fast Attack both dealt 1 damage and Heavy dealt 2, but we realised that lakced balanced. The idea of it might work if we are able to create a system that alternates turns and punishes someone trying to spam the heaviest-damaging attack (Thus creating an actual risk: reward scenario.) 

At the same time, it needs to be kept simple enough to be accessible to everyone. This is why the Grindstone's and Mystic Runestone's systems really are ideal in many ways. No matter who you are, it's easy to understand that "I win because my numbers are bigger than yours." 

(04-03-2016, 10:12 AM)Nefzen Wrote:
(04-02-2016, 10:28 PM)Caex Vaeriar Wrote:

Just an fyi for the future, folks like specifics with location so here ya go:

Lifemend Stump, Central Shroud (x27, y15)

Officially updated the OP with the notes, and gave credit to the both of you. Thanks for helping out o/

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Caex Vaeriar - 04-06-2016

Currently, we have two fight masters. I've recieved messages from about two people showing interest, and would definitely love to hear more input, if people will be attending, and likewise what they think overall of the concept. Thanks!

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Caex Vaeriar - 04-09-2016

Today's the day! 

I'll be doing a PF about 2 hours before to help spread the word a little more. Hopefully we can get a decent showing for this. If anyone's got any questions or concerns still, please forward them my way as I'll be in game up until the time it starts.

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Caex Vaeriar - 04-09-2016

we had a fun set of matches today, and would definitely like to do it again if there's any interest in it. 

One of the mentions of need for improvement I got was that the fights might feel a little slow - namely, because of the fact that you have a tertiriary person involved, and that requires the micromanaging. 

I'm not sure how to address this, so I would welcome any thoughts and opinions to be offered up to it. 

There was another suggestion, in the occurance of Multiple draws, to have an occurance where both opponents take damage and can post 'attacking eachother.' I think this is a good idea, and hope we can integrate it soon. 

======================

For any curious what our fights looked like; I've transcribed them. 

HUGE thanks to everyone that participated today, and congratulations to Kalm Yugure who took home the match! 

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Concerns: 
Combat can be a little 'slow' this way.

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Caex Vaeriar - 04-16-2016

Won't be able to hold this today due to some personal issues, my appologies. There will, however, be another tournament showing on the next week, with the following updated rules: 

+ HP Will be raised to 5
+ "Draws" will be 1 damage to each player, with each player posting continuing in the order from the last attack (For example, say you recieved the last attack, you would get to post for this one first.) 

Will update the OP when I am able! Sorry again for the trouble!

RE: The Aethersteel Tournament - Accendie - 04-18-2016

(04-16-2016, 12:36 PM)Caex Vaeriar Wrote: Won't be able to hold this today due to some personal issues, my appologies. There will, however, be another tournament showing on the next week, with the following updated rules: 

+ HP Will be raised to 5
+ "Draws" will be 1 damage to each player, with each player posting continuing in the order from the last attack (For example, say you recieved the last attack, you would get to post for this one first.) 

Will update the OP when I am able! Sorry again for the trouble!

So is this going to be every week?