Hydaelyn Role-Players
Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? (/showthread.php?tid=15348)

Pages: 1 2

Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Leomoon - 02-24-2016

So with the new system out of mentoring newbies I though we may see some characters take up the roll in RP. I am thinking of making my own Tana do such, she is a apprentice weapon master and while she herself is not fully capable with all weapons she can show someone how to not poke there eye out with a bow and arrow. 

How would any of yall play it off?

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Eses Fafa - 02-24-2016

Eses would don sunglasses and use a riding crop.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Now listen here, son, and listen real good. You wanna learn how to swing that spear, the KEY..the utmost important detail..is to make as many phallus references as possible. NOW LEMME SEE YOUR PERV FACE!"

"NEEDS WORK! NOW WHAT ABOUT YOU! WHERE'RE YOU FROM?!"

MA'AM, LIMSA, MA'AM!

"Limsa! Well down in Limsa, there're only pirates or barmaids, and you're looking pretty frilly and gorgeous there, madame! Are you a raider or a serving girl?!"

MA'AM, RAIDER, MA'AM!

"BUFFALOCRAP, I BET YOU WEAR A MAIDS DRESS FOR 'EM ON TUESDAYS!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So she'd be quite the caring mentor.

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Nebbs - 02-24-2016

OOC just what I do already but maybe a bit more
  • I tend to tank in PvE, so a good role to help guide a party
  • Take the first encounter to gauge your party
  • Ask if people need pointers
  • Provide brief "how-to" on each boss
  • And always treat a wipe as fun and learning, once people have seen an encounter they will know far more than any description
  • Be positive not negative

IC probably like this
Nebula looked up from her conversation with Tarquil, the frog Prince who preferred being a frog, that maybe one in this group was worth a kiss.

Seeing her new friends approach a rather large shambling thing she calls out to them, "Oh, just take care there, they tend to split into two when in danger and can try to swallow you."

Then with a frown at Tarquil for his stubbornness she dashed to the aid of her friends, one of which was just a pair of boots disappearing into the shambling mound.

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - TheLastCandle - 02-24-2016

Pretty much like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T9EC3ZpPIw

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Silane - 02-24-2016

I had already been working on Yesunge being a teacher to younger DrKs (Or ones who need tutelage at all) so this just adds onto my opportunity. (Though OOC I did everything a mentor was supposed to do already, now I just get a shiny crown for it.)

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - FreelanceWizard - 02-24-2016

It's not really a big change IC or OOC, honestly. Smile L'yhta already trains less experienced mages and adventurers, and tends to point out "interesting" things about opponents in IC dungeons ("that's a bavarois, probably fire-aspected, so watch out for its spellcasting"). I'm not going to have L'yhta get any sort formal IC appointment from the Adventurers' Guild, since that'd make her a bit too famous by OOC assertion, IMO. The way I figure it, as an adventurer who hasn't gotten smushed yet, some people in the Guild already point newbies in her direction from time to time anyway.

OOC, I'm already "that person" who says hi at the beginning of a run, welcomes newbies, offers to give mechanics tips, doesn't go storming off after a wipe, and thanks the group afterwards, so... this isn't really anything new. Smile

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Warren Castille - 02-24-2016

Warren would handle it the same way he's handled most of his previous conversations on this subject: Attempting to talk them out of looking to him for any sort of guidance.

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Martiallais - 02-24-2016

Eventually I'd want Mar to grow enough that he'd feel confident leading and training more than one person (he currently has a student/padawan of sorts at the moment - Sylveret). By that point, it'd probably be something like this.

[youtube]DMvks6US65g[/youtube]

But since he's an Elezen he'll keep his styling hair. Cool

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Jana - 02-24-2016

I don't have a 60 tank class yet but I'm close. As soon as I finish PLD, I'll hang out in Ul'dah in Flames uniform to ICly guide newbies.

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Gegenji - 02-24-2016

OOCly I'd want to be helpful and friendly, but ICly Gogon is... well, an egotistical jerkwad to most folks. But, teaching people things is kinda what he does as an information broker - you just have to pay him first. So he's already kind of in the role for it, it's just a difference between how I'd relay information OOCly as I would ICly with him.

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Aya - 02-24-2016

Quit my job and go home! (No, seriously! ^^)

Aya is happy to help people out, especially people in the same situation as her, but being placed in a position to teach and mentor someone she'd be pretty unhappy and probably look for any way out of the situation. Smile

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Caspar - 02-24-2016

Virara would start them out the way she did.

Horse Stance until they collapse.

It'd only go downhill from there.

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Edgar - 02-24-2016

[Image: WaiGODL.jpg]

"Read up."

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - Leomoon - 02-25-2016

(02-24-2016, 08:01 PM)Edgar Wrote: [Image: WaiGODL.jpg]

"Read up."
By god

RE: Your a mentor now, how do you play it off? - H.H. - 02-25-2016

A series of lessons on the inherent dangers behind the adventurer's lifestyle.