Hydaelyn Role-Players
Most "suitable" race for each class? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Most "suitable" race for each class? (/showthread.php?tid=15223)

Most "suitable" race for each class? - Yuella - 02-11-2016

while you can make any race work with any job, i wonder if there are 1 or 2 more suitable race lore-wise (not stat-wise)

Gladiator: Hellsguard, Highlander
Marauder: Sea Wolves
Lancer: Wildwood, Highlander
Archer: Wildwood, Keeper
Pugilist: Highlander
Rogue: Midlander, Seeker(?), Plainsfolk(?)
Conjurer: Midlander
Thaumaturge: Dunesfolk
Arcanist: Seeker(?), Plainsfolk (?) (what races did the Nym kingdom have?)

Cant fit Duskwight anywhere

RE: Most "suitable" race for each class? - H.H. - 02-11-2016

I'd imagine that Midlander Hyurs, given their - according to SE, at least - proclivity for literacy, would excel at Arcanima, or at the very least, be somewhat overrepresented in the field.

RE: Most "suitable" race for each class? - ExAtomos - 02-11-2016

Duskwights would go with Lancer.

Now, are we talking 'involved with (class) guild' or just 'can be associated with (class)'? Cause these would be two very different things. If the former, I would think the less social/civilized cultures would be excluded by their nature.

RE: Most "suitable" race for each class? - Yssen - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 09:54 AM)ExAtomos Wrote: Duskwights would go with Lancer.

Now, are we talking 'involved with (class) guild' or just 'can be associated with (class)'? Cause these would be two very different things. If the former, I would think the less social/civilized cultures would be excluded by their nature.
 Lancer, yup. Though we run into everything with a class of everything through the course of the game. By way of example of some examples. 

There are "Duskwight Mercenaries" that are Pugilists, Lancers, and Gladiators. 

Franz the Fair, a current champion of the Colosseum, is a Midlander Gladiator. There are Dunesfolk Gladiators running around too.

The head of the Lancer's Guild is a Midlander. 

Two of the main NPCs in the Pugilist quest are both Dunesfolk. The main Pugilist trainer/guild leader is Midlander. Highlanders as Pugilists actually do not jump into the Pugilist stuff at all until the MNK quests.

There are Rogues of pretty much every stripe seen in the Guild (at least one Elezen and a Roe guards the door).

The main antagonist of the Pugilist arc is a Hellsguard Marauder. A Plainsfolk Marauder is a major character in the SCH quest.

The main Arcanist (the one that runs everything while the guild leader is doing gods know what) is a Roe, and I believe the guild leader himself is a Keeper.

We see several Elezen CNJs, and a Roe CNJ is in the Marauder Quest.

Also the signature art and character for BLM is a female Elezen who started as a Gladiator back when Derplander was an Archer, go figure. Also Derplander = Midlander Archer.

While an interesting thought experiment, we have ample evidence that there is no real restriction placed on classes and training as classes. The guild's do not forbid anyone, and there is no racial or even city-state stricture on any of the classes (example - while lancer legions were famous in Ala Mhigo, Ishgard and Gridania also has large lancer corps. Lancers were such a prized form of soldier they every city state has them in some capacity).

In short, no such thing as "making it work" for all races. No such thing as more appropriate or least appropriate by lore. Yar.

Hope this has been helpful. Big Grin

RE: Most "suitable" race for each class? - Sounsyy - 02-11-2016

As any race can pick up any profession from the guilds and most all races can be found in any given city-state, I'm basing what's below mostly on racial lore.

Midlander Hyur: Arcanist
Highlander Hyur: Lancer, Gladiator
Wildwood Elezen: Carpenter, Leatherworker, Longbow Archer, Lancer
Duskwight Elezen: Pugilist
Seeker Miqo'te: Alchemy, Shortbow Archer
Keeper Miqo'te: Fisher, Shortbow Archer
Plainsfolk Lalafell: Botany, Fisher, Arcanist, Marauder
Dunesfolk Lalafell: Alchemy, Thaumaturgy
Sea Wolf Roegadyn: Fisher, Marauder
Hellsguard Roegadyn: Armorer, Blacksmith, Lancer, Gladiator

Show Content

You might find these links helpful, as these are where I pulled the above quotes:
-Race Lore Compilation
-Class & Job Lore Compilation

EDIT: Obviously, this excluded a couple classes, such as Conjurer and Rogue. For these I'd defer to races found commonly within the city-state.

Conjurer: Midlander, Wildwood majority with Seeker/Keeper Miqo'te and /maybe/ small Duskwight population as well. Plainsfolk Lalafell, Sea Wolf Roegadyn, and refugee Highlander Hyur are also common races found within Gridania as well.

Rogue: As a world-trade port, there's truly no restriction on the races which can be found in Limsa Lominsa, nor by extension, who may have joined the Dutiful Sisters of the Edelweiss. That said, most of the NPCs found inside the guild are Midlander, with a smattering of Limsa's other two most common races - Sea Wolves and Seekers of the Sun.

Anything else I missed? Oh...

Thaumaturge: Above I listed it under Dunesfolk, simply for the fact that before the promise of riches drew other races to Ul'dah, it was an entirely Lalafellin city-state. Now, as the Order of Nald'thal dates back to Belah'dia, this places Lalafell, specifically Dunesfolk as the majority members of skilled Thaumaturges before the other races had a chance to join the city-state. There are of course, other races present, including a Prelate who is a Seeker Miqo'te.